Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:05 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The reason I'm more excited about this hiring than the Millen firing is because of when they happened. When Millen was fired, nothing changed. It signified that change was coming, but nothing changed during the season. We were still stuck with Marinelli and a ****** roster. Jim Schwartz is that change. We still need a good off-season to improve the roster, but this is a start.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:20 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a Bears fan, i want to see the Lions remain as terrible as possible.

But aside from that, this is a good hire and a step in the right direction. However, I would have liked to see them totally clean house, not just promote a GM from within. Not lovin' that.

Now draft a QB and an impact front 7 defender in the first round and they'll be somewhat on the right track.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:31 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think a team like Detroit that needs a major overhaul in pretty much every aspect would have been better served going with someone with Head Coaching experience in the NFL before.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:06 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Didn't Titan fans dislike the guy? He never blitzed. That defense would be ridiculous with a couple of blitzes.

Anyway, Im sure the guy would love BJ Raji on his team. And he'll bring toughness to that team as well. But this all means nothing if management is still trash.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:08 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The bar is so low he could win five games and be a hero.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:16 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Didn't Titan fans dislike the guy? He never blitzed. That defense would be ridiculous with a couple of blitzes.
The more casual fans disliked him. When you have DC's like Jim Johnson in Philly sending the blitz every other play and Rex Ryan's "controlled chaos" in Baltimore, who cares about playing sound, disciplined football?

It's not as fun to watch, but it's effective. The Titans finished 5th in the NFL in sacks despite Schwartz rarely sending the blitz.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:19 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Titans would be easier to pass on intermediately if they blitzed their linebackers more. But Schwartz likes to drop his back seven a bit and clog it up, he makes you have to earn every yard.

His defense in Tennessee took off once they got pretty good safeties, though. Detroit is completely deficient in that area.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:41 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Look out... here comes the Lions.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:41 PM    (permalink
sunnyintheD
Rookie

sunnyintheD hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I guess I like the pickup, and hope management allows him to make decisions on assistant coaches. The majority of Marinelli's staff is still with the team, and I hope we don't show them the same loyalty we gave to Millen.

Alrighty, all we need is 2 good drafts and this franchise may just start to turn around.
sunnyintheD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:53 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
The more casual fans disliked him. When you have DC's like Jim Johnson in Philly sending the blitz every other play and Rex Ryan's "controlled chaos" in Baltimore, who cares about playing [b]sound, disciplined football?[/b[

It's not as fun to watch, but it's effective. The Titans finished 5th in the NFL in sacks despite Schwartz rarely sending the blitz.
Unfortunately, the Lions have very few, if any, players on the defensive side of that ball that seem capable or willing to play that way right now. Even our best player on D, Ernie Sims, is bad, and really might be the most undisciplined player on the defense. Ernie won't be gone, but as I've said many times before, if the roster doesn't undergo a huge overhaul this offseason, it won't matter who the coach is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:05 PM    (permalink
noromasionadom

FWIW, I would swap picks with anyone of those teams who fall in love with Stafford -- get a 1st back plus 2 and 3 and take Sanchez or Freeman later in the first.

The other two first rounders go Raji and Maybin. If Curry falls then I might sweat him and throw in one of 2's.

Sanchez/Raji/Maybin in the 8 - 22 range is sweat.

Then you still have 5 picks in the second and third ---- draft wisely and get guys to push the Vets out.

Last edited by noromasionadom : 01-15-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't claim to know tons about Schwartz, but what I do know is very intruiging. He was probably atop my list of coaches I wanted Oakland to hire (in dreamland, admittedly).

I wish him luck in Detroit. He'll need some.
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good hire. I just hope he gets the necessary time to turn around Detroit.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:12 PM    (permalink
lionsfan320
Rookie

lionsfan320 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

so where do you realistically see the team going from here? Mayhew and Lewand already said that they're not going to go after the high priced stars, but do they now make a play for albert haynesworth? In the draft, do they take a qb #1, and if they do, they have to go defense with 20, right?

I don't think they can make such a drastic improvement in one year, but I would say I'd settle for some movement on the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball and consistency over loads of wins. If they win 3-6 games but gain an identity, and some toughness, I'll take it.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:19 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't take a QB #1, I'd try and trade down (even getting mediocre value with the pick) and add some defensive players. Specifically, I'd be targeting Maybin and Laurinaitis, and maybe a Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No one will trade up and spend that money, no matter the price.
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:49 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
I'd try and trade down
That's pretty unrealistic
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:43 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is a great hire for the Lions. Of all the candidates he would be the best one.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:52 PM    (permalink
Beans
DC GFX Team
All-Pro

Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

has anyone made a spaceballs reference yet

bonekrusher on the sig magic
Quote:
<beans> libid dont worry man i think fondling big black men is a perfectly worthy career goal
<JBond> laughing so hard I am crying
Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:52 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think this should be a two year process and they shouldn't spend a single pick on a QB.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:09 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So take Tebow next year instead?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:12 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsfan320 View Post
so where do you realistically see the team going from here? Mayhew and Lewand already said that they're not going to go after the high priced stars, but do they now make a play for albert haynesworth? In the draft, do they take a qb #1, and if they do, they have to go defense with 20, right?
Don't make a play for Haynesworth. Build through the draft and then, when we're close to being 'better than good', we add a couple big Free Agents to top off the team. Right now, we'd just have a massive contract on a 3-13 team. I don't know, I just think it'd be a waste.

I don't even trust Haynesworth to produce after his big contract.. but that's for another thread.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:12 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
So take Tebow next year instead?
He is God's gift to us all. If anyone could win a bunch of championships for the Lions - like 15 - it'd be Tebow.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:13 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
Don't make a play for Haynesworth. Build through the draft and then, when we're close to being 'better than good', we add a couple big Free Agents to top off the team. Right now, we'd just have a massive contract on a 3-13 team. I don't know, I just think it'd be a waste.

I don't even trust Haynesworth to produce after his big contract.. but that's for another thread.
Have some optimism! The Dolphins did it! So did the Falcons! Go Lions!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:18 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
Have some optimism! The Dolphins did it! So did the Falcons! Go Lions!
We're all gonna die.