Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

View Poll Results: How would you feel if we took Curry #1 overall?
Happy 4 13.33%
Pissed 10 33.33%
Wouldn't like it but wouldn't hate it 10 33.33%
Don't know 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2009, 09:34 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Aaron Curry: Opinion on #1 Overall

Since we now have a defensive guru as our HC, there is a chance we may want to go for a defender #1 overall. Curry is the only defender that is worthy of that pick. He can play anywhere in any scheme we may play. Everyone wants us to go D.

Imagine if we took Curry #1 overall and a guy like Raji fell to #20. Our defense would be completely changed and something that Schwartz would be able to work with. We'd have something like......

Avril - Redding - Raji - Smith/IAF
Dizon - Curry - Sims

Very young, good defense with a ton of potential. And that isn't including any others we may add through the rest of the draft/FA. We could use the rest of the draft to address the OL/rest of the D.

What is your opinion?

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:39 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WTF.... where'd my damn poll go?

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:21 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is there a particular reason Smith or IAF would start over the only consistent D-Lineman the Lions had last year? And I just can't live with the Lions paying a linebacker THAT much money.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:38 PM    (permalink
Calvin & Kevin
Rookie

Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I second Brodeur's question... you assuming that White is going to get released or something? That would be pretty stupid of the Lions imo.

Anyway, about Curry at #1, there are still a couple of variables.

First, there are the Senior Bowl games and the combine still to come. If Curry established himself as a clear super-elite prospect with great performances and measurables, that would make a difference.

Also, let's remember the approach of Parcells and the Dolphins last year... they reportedly looked at all of their top 5 guys and looked for the one that would give them the least trouble with a contract. I believe this would also be a smart way for the Lions to go, especially since they have so many needs and could easily take any one of several positions.

If Curry looks like he's easily one of the three or four overall best prospects, and they could agree before draft day on a contract that makes sense for the team, then yeah I could see it. BUT, if you're talking about paying a OLB the full price for a #1 overall pick, then I would select the "pissed" option.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I was a Lions fan, I'd be pissed.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:51 PM    (permalink
noromasionadom

Parcells always says use first rounders on guys who tend to have longevity in the NFL at a "high level." Which means QB, LB, DE and OL.

Last edited by noromasionadom : 01-15-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:12 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like Curry, but I'd be pissed.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:13 PM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

bendert58 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It seems like just a safe route to me. You'd be overpaying for him but i think he'd at the very least be a solid pro, which is something we have very little of.
bendert58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:13 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Linebackers don't go #1.. Putting that ahead of a Franchise QB, or even Franchise OT, would be stupid.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:21 PM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

Quote:
Linebackers don't go #1.. Putting that ahead of a Franchise QB, or even Franchise OT, would be stupid.
Yeah i totally agree with that mindset. Unless you are a freak of nature, only QBs, LTs, and DEs go #1, which is what made all of those talks of taking Taylor Mays at #1 absolutely disgusting. I'm glad he went back to USC so I didnt have to hear that argument on the radio.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:28 PM    (permalink
Calvin & Kevin
Rookie

Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seriously, you're totally correct WMD.

The resource of a #1 pick, and the money it takes to sign a #1, HAVE to be used to land a franchise cornerstone player.

Is a LB a true franchise cornerstone? I can only think of two in the last 20 years. Is a CB? RB? WR? No.

Is a QB a franchise cornerstone? Yes. So is a DE or LT. Safety has become more important lately too, so I would say that's a possible franchise position.

So, even if Curry is a guaranteed Urlacher or Ray Lewis, there's no way you should take him at #1, even with a favorable contract. I take back what I said.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:34 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ok.

This is the only scenario where I take Aaron Curry #1

-You open negotiations with Stafford, Sanchez, Andre Smith, Aaron Curry

-You tell Aaron Curry you will make him the #1 overall pick if he takes a significant less amount of guaranteed money then last years pick.

Edit - but then again you lose some of the value of that #1 pick in doing this. I still support Stafford but believe in exploring every possible angle we can.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:36 PM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

Quote:
This is the only scenario where I take Aaron Curry #1

-You open negotiations with Stafford, Sanchez, Andre Smith, Aaron Curry

-You tell Aaron Curry you will make him the #1 overall pick if he takes a significant less amount of guaranteed money then last years pick.
I completely agree, just look at Houston when they were picking between Mario Williams and Reggie Bush.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:37 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about Eugene Monroe or Andre Smith at number one? I think that would be safer.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:53 PM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

Quote:
What about Eugene Monroe or Andre Smith at number one? I think that would be safer.
Oh yeah i completely agree, and personally Id much rather take an offensive tackle, I'm just saying that Curry would be a safe pick. He just seems like a guy who would be a solid pro, maybe more, but wouldnt bust. Im not saying he is the safest pick out there though.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:05 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So the first ever 0-16 team tries to right the ship by drafting... a Linebacker.. #1?

Old 01-16-2009, 12:17 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With this scheme, or very close to as Schwartz had in Tennessee, you don't draft a linebacker this high. Isn't it bad enough that the Lions spent a Top 10 pick on Ernie Sims? Come on, let's learn the lesson.

It's Stafford by a mile imo. Even if he turns out to be just a competent starter, that's more than what the Lions currently have at QB.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:19 AM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

Quote:
With this scheme, or very close to as Schwartz had in Tennessee, you don't draft a linebacker this high.
Wasnt Keith Bullock a first round pick though? Regardless, I do agree that we should not select Curry at #1.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:20 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
With this scheme, or very close to as Schwartz had in Tennessee, you don't draft a linebacker this high. Isn't it bad enough that the Lions spent a Top 10 pick on Ernie Sims? Come on, let's learn the lesson.

It's Stafford by a mile imo. Even if he turns out to be just a competent starter, that's more than what the Lions currently have at QB.
Noooo we need an all defensive draft!!1!! Orakpo at #1!

Old 01-16-2009, 12:21 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Bullock was a 1st round pick, good point. Although the 30th overall pick in 2000, that's at least close to reasonable.

The 30th overall pick is where I might start considering Laurinaitis, personally.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:25 AM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

Quote:
The 30th overall pick is where I might start considering Laurinaitis, personally.
I like Laurinaitis at #20, but i dont think he can succeed if we dont build a d-line to keep o-linemen off of him.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:29 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Parcells took over a team with just barely more talent then this one, and he didn't back himself into a corner to take a QB. I want Stafford. I just don't think this debate is over though.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:39 AM    (permalink
Calvin & Kevin
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
Parcells took over a team with just barely more talent then this one, and he didn't back himself into a corner to take a QB. I want Stafford. I just don't think this debate is over though.
He also didn't draft a linebacker and pay him $60 million. He got a franchise left tackle (or at least the closest there was to it in last year's draft). I would be fine if the Lions did that too, picked the best one out of Smith, Monroe and Oher and went with that.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:43 AM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

Quote:
He got a franchise left tackle (or at least the closest there was to it in last year's draft). I would be fine if the Lions did that too, picked the best one out of Smith, Monroe and Oher and went with that.
I completely agree. When you are starting over with a franchise you have to build in the trenches first.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:56 AM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

A linebacker will rarely go #1. Does it make sense? I guess it does. On 3rd down and very long, the linebacker is quite useless unless he is a great pass rusher. It's the quarterback and defensive ends on third down that make a difference.

If you look at the great teams they have a franchise quarterback. The Bears have Brain Urlacher and a decent defense, but cannot win without a reliable quarterback. Ray Lewis could not win without Flacco.

The Lions need a reliable starting quarterback. So Stafford is the best candidate for the job. The Lions also need a pass rush and a run stopping defensive tackle. I would not mind drafting a offensive guard and then all defense after Stafford. Offensive guard candidates are Herman Johnson, Trevor Canfield, or Andy Levitre.

At #20, i don't see a great defensive end. Michael Johnson is too slight. He's no Mario Williams. Greg Hardy has been injured prone. George Selvie i heard is coming back to school. He's got a great motor but also not big enough. I like Hardy. But i love Peria Jerry at #20. We need a run stuff, pass rushing defensive tackle and Jerry fits the bill perfectly on #20.

All three of these guys are great pass rushers an can be had by the Lions:
Peria Jerry (#20) or Raji at DT
Jarron Gilbert (3-5 round) at DE
THIS GUY IS A MONSTER. WATCH HIM IN THE EAST WEST SHRINE BOWL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHoBtyuof_A
Zack Follet (3 round) at OLB
:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LCzkDhYN7A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1VsDp1Jq7U

Last edited by 5 Fingers of Death : 01-16-2009 at 01:14 AM.
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote