Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 01-17-2009, 11:37 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[quote=broth223;1435942]You're right in the fact that most starting QBs in the league are drafted in the first round. But the success rate of JUNIOR QB's taken in the first round is shotty at best.

teve McNair - Senior
Kerry Kollins - Senior

No first round QB taken

Jim Druckenmiller - Senior

Peyton Manning - Senior
Ryan Leaf - Junior

Tim Couch - Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Following his junior season in 1998, Couch announced he would leave Kentucky to
enter the NFL draft early.

[/qupte]

Donovan McNabb - Senior
Akii Smith - Senior
Chad Pennington - Senior

Michael Vick - RS Sophmore

David Carr - Senior
Joey Harrington - Senior
Patric Ramsey - Senior

Carson Palmer - Semopr
Byron Leftwich -Senior
Kyle Boller - Senior
Rex Grossman - Junior

Eli Manninh - Senior
Philip Rivers -Senior
Ben Rothlesburger - ???

Alex Smith - Junior
Aaron Rogers - Junior

Jason Campbell - Senior

Vince Young - Jr.
Matt Leinart - Sr.
Jay Cutler - Sr

And there I will stop to stay with the 3 year rule
I finally figured out why we are in disagreement over whether certain QB's declared as juniors. Most of the QB's you are referring to RS their Freshmen year and were actually seniors when they were drafted even though they only actually played 3 seasons for their college. Your underestimating spending a year learning from the sidelines and in the film room. The pros consider these players as seniors. Returning to school for another season would make them 5 year seniors in the pros eyes and overaged. Tons of QB's have been drafted under this category after redshirting their freshmen year.
I'm talking about QB's who only stay at school for 3 season and play as true freshmen like Stafford. These are the real exceptions to the rule and are way more raw as players than QB's who were at their schools for 4 seasons even if they only played for 3 seasons. They got plenty of film work and training while they redshirted and were far more advanced than 3 year QB's.
There are very few QB's who fall into this category and there is not enough information to decide yet whether these QB's can be successful. Vick was, Alex Smith wasn't and, VY and Russell, the jury is still out on.
I think Stafford is worth the risk if the top scouts agree he is a solid top 5 talent, if they don't then I agree the risk may be too deep for Detroit to try it.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:02 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

stats only go so far. if stafford's arm and decision making grade out high enough then take him. doesn't matter how many years he's spent in college if he can do the job. i think alot of it has to do with maturity level and talent. also, tim couch could have worked out but i think organizations grossly mismanaged his situation. i think the nfl has come a long way in managing their qb situation since even the mid 90s.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:59 AM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Out of this whole junior talk, how many of those guys started 3 years? Stafford did, I think that makes him pretty qualified to be taken with a high pick.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:22 AM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWnThEfiElD View Post
Out of this whole junior talk, how many of those guys started 3 years? Stafford did, I think that makes him pretty qualified to be taken with a high pick.
Good point.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote