Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 01-16-2009, 01:26 PM    (permalink
Notredameleo
Pro Bowler

Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Notredameleo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Coaching Staff

now that we have out Head Coach. A good hire in my opinion, who do you guys want as Offensive and Defensive Coordinators. Im not sure who I want, but I dont want Schottenheimer as OC, he is the main reason for the Jets collapse. I also want a DC that has the same ideas as Schwartz....

May the Schwartz be with us.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hopefully people who work well with schwartz. i don't know how much free reign he'll have to hire his own coaches though. i'd be happy with some kind of continuity now with the offense. schwartz will keep them in line since we don't have a diva like martz around. i hope that schwartz just brings a positional coach with him from tennessee. he needs a buddy to help him spread his message. basically, whatever schwartz wants, i hope he gets. i don't want any kind of internal squabble.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We need to get an Offensive Coordinator. That will be the biggest hire by far. We need a guy that Schwartz is comfortable enough with to allow him to work somewhat independently. And since defense is the bigger issue, I think Schwartz's expertise of defense needs to get the bulk of his attention until it becomes respectable. With Calvin and Kevin Smith (and hopefully Stafford), our offense will sort itself out and be competitive enough initially. The defense needs work.

Any good offensive coordinators available? Martz is out there, haha.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:54 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
hopefully people who work well with schwartz. i don't know how much free reign he'll have to hire his own coaches though. i'd be happy with some kind of continuity now with the offense. schwartz will keep them in line since we don't have a diva like martz around. i hope that schwartz just brings a positional coach with him from tennessee. he needs a buddy to help him spread his message. basically, whatever schwartz wants, i hope he gets. i don't want any kind of internal squabble.
Tom Lewand was asked directly on 97.1 FM just now if Schwartz would have total control of picking his coaching staff, and Lewand didn't hesitate at all before saying he would. He said that it's the Head Coaches job to pick his assistants.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:09 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It be nice to get Dave McGinnis or Chuck Cecil, whichever one Tennessee doesn't promote to be our defensive coordinator. I really, really, really want Mike Munchak but I can't imagine a scenario in which he would leave the Titans.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:10 PM    (permalink
TheDoctor8
Rookie

TheDoctor8 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TheDoctor8 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Tom Lewand was asked directly on 97.1 FM just now if Schwartz would have total control of picking his coaching staff, and Lewand didn't hesitate at all before saying he would. He said that it's the Head Coaches job to pick his assistants.

Comments like this are helping the Lewand/Mayhew combination win me over more and more every day. I don't believe that Marinelli had this type of control because if he did he would have never brought in Martz, that guy is the complete opposite personality.
TheDoctor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:15 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
It be nice to get Dave McGinnis or Chuck Cecil, whichever one Tennessee doesn't promote to be our defensive coordinator. I really, really, really want Mike Munchak but I can't imagine a scenario in which he would leave the Titans.
Hey buddy, you can have Schwartz but leave the rest of our staff alone!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:08 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
I really, really, really want Mike Munchak but I can't imagine a scenario in which he would leave the Titans.

I, too, would love to have Munchak.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:15 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about Jim Washburn as DC. Does a good job with Titans Dline although Hayneworth and VandenBosch are monsters.

OC, I have no clue. Someone who wants to keep the zone blocking scheme though. Kind of an important hire especially since Stafford will need some development.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:22 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor8 View Post
Comments like this are helping the Lewand/Mayhew combination win me over more and more every day. I don't believe that Marinelli had this type of control because if he did he would have never brought in Martz, that guy is the complete opposite personality.
I aqree, this is the correct way to opporate a franchise and so far it is difficult to criticize our management team. Now if only the draft can go as well as that is the true measure by which an organization can be judged. Everything is A+ so far, let's hope our draft gets an A+ ranking as well.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:36 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I aqree, this is the correct way to opporate a franchise and so far it is difficult to criticize our management team. Now if only the draft can go as well as that is the true measure by which an organization can be judged. Everything is A+ so far, let's hope our draft gets an A+ ranking as well.
not an A+ ranking. Weve had good draft day rankings before and 2 years later the draft was a bust. We need a draft where these guys can actually start. Last year we got 2 starters from the draft on a team with very little talent. We need a draft where the guys will be here and contributing 2-3 years down the line
Old 01-16-2009, 06:37 PM    (permalink
familyguy555
Pro Bowler

familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
What about Jim Washburn as DC. Does a good job with Titans Dline although Hayneworth and VandenBosch are monsters.

OC, I have no clue. Someone who wants to keep the zone blocking scheme though. Kind of an important hire especially since Stafford will need some development.
Hes not even on the team yet.

sig made by BoneKrusher
familyguy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

he's getting his jersey fitted right now. linebackers(besides pitt and balt) don't fill seats and we had way too many blackout games this past season.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-16-2009, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Russ Grimm as OC!!!! FTW!

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:58 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

For anyone with knowledge of the Tennessee assistants, can you please shed some light on them for me? I am not familiar with any of them.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:23 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

Quote:
Adam Schefter
Cunningham could join Schwartz in Detroit

Posted: January 16th, 2009 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Detroit Lions, Gunter Cunningham, Jim Schwartz
It didn’t take long for the Detroit Lions’ new head coach, Jim Schwartz, to begin reaching out to assistant coaching candidates.
Schwartz asked for and received permission to interview Kansas City Chiefs defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, who worked with him on the Tennessee Titans’ staff from 2001 to 2003.
Cunningham’s job security in Kansas City is tenuous at best, and the fact that he was one of the first coaches that Schwartz contacted is a sign of how much he is wanted in Detroit. One league source said that Cunningham is expected to be hired in Detroit.
Cunningham could wind up being Schwartz’s defensive coordinator with the Lions, working under him in the same way he did for three seasons when he was the Titans’ linebackers coach and Schwartz was the defensive coordinator.
If it’s the end of Cunningham’s career in Kansas City, the curtain will fall on a man who had an attachment to the city. Cunningham spent 11 years with the Chiefs, including two in which he was the head coach in 1999 and 2000.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:36 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

love it, he fits the mold for success. everyone should be on the same page on defense.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-17-2009, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I don't like it. KC's defense was atrocious for much of last year.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

he has schwartz guiding him again to make sure of success. it's an easier transition than say to ex-cowboys d coordinator brian stewart. tomlin and lebeau proved that defensive coaches and d coordinators don't have to be identical twins, but then again i don't see a dick lebeau on the market. with schwartz's influence, gunther can rebound here. plus he's already failed once and has coordinator level experiance already and won't feel overwhelmed.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-17-2009, 03:04 PM    (permalink
sunnyintheD
Rookie

sunnyintheD hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Heard Schwartz is interested in Jeremy Bates, Broncos QB coach, for OC. Bates is losing the play calling duties and reportedly wants out. Only other guy I've heard for OC is Schottenheimer.

And this makes me happy.
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...d_coach_j.html

Last edited by sunnyintheD : 01-17-2009 at 03:06 PM.
sunnyintheD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

i like that article too.

"Mayhew intends to hire someone with experience in talent evaluation at both the pro and college levels, expects that person to be in place prior to the NFL draft in April, and confirmed that person will report directly to him.

"I think this draft is probably the most important draft we'll ever have as an organization," Mayhew said.

"We were 0-16. We've got five of the first 82 (picks). It's an important draft (because) we need to get guys who can contribute right from the first day."

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-17-2009, 03:19 PM    (permalink
sunnyintheD
Rookie

sunnyintheD hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

"Mayhew intends to hire someone with experience in talent evaluation at both the pro and college levels, expects that person to be in place prior to the NFL draft in April, and confirmed that person will report directly to him.
Ted Sundquist, please.
sunnyintheD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:30 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera
For anyone with knowledge of the Tennessee assistants, can you please shed some light on them for me? I am not familiar with any of them.
Here's a link if ya wanna read up on 'em:

http://www.titansonline.com/team/coaches/index.php

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:47 PM    (permalink
eazyb81
All-Pro

eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.

Quote:
love it, he fits the mold for success. everyone should be on the same page on defense.
Believe me, you shouldn't love it. Chiefs fans everywhere would be thrilled if Cunningham is not coaching the defense next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownsTown

If Chase Daniel finishes top 5 in the Heisman I'll cut my balls off.

2008 COTTON BOWL CHAMPIONS
eazyb81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:51 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gunther has ******* sucked for years.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote