Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 01-16-2009, 04:23 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Haynesworth a possibility?

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...ght_be_an.html

pretty interesting idea. Still the question is will he sign with us?
Old 01-16-2009, 04:25 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think you guys should be signing big name guys now, do what the Dolphins did and get average free agents to help your depth with a solid draft.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:33 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

its all about getting the personel for our defense to work. Haynesworth will help our defense a ton. with redding and avril on the dline we would have a much better dline. He will help sims as well and every other LB. He is hands down the most important player on the titans defense so why wouldnt we want a guy like that?
Old 01-16-2009, 04:35 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who was the last big name FA to go to Detroit?

Joey Harrington?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:36 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

that was the draft. Damien Woody was probably the last big name FA
Old 01-16-2009, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post

Joey Harrington?
Umm . . . 3rd overall pick?

D, don't you know your Lions history?
Old 01-16-2009, 08:33 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd bust a nut if we got hanyesworth, but I'd be equally happy if we somehow got Raji at 20. Either way I'd have to clean my shorts.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:07 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post

Joey Harrington?
Marian Hossa.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:27 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Marian Hossa.
LeBron James circa 2010.

I come from the future.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:28 PM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

bendert58 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I dont know, it seems that the only thing we have going for us is our cap space. I wouldnt want to lose that by blowing a ton of money on a DT. He'd immediately make us better, but i dont think he'd be able to build around.
bendert58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:50 AM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want him. He will make the linebackers instantly. I think its pretty obvious that Sims needs a big DT to be as effective as he can be. I think DT is a great position to go after in free agency, I hope we get him.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:51 AM    (permalink
AtariBigby
Veteran

AtariBigby AtariBigby AtariBigby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWnThEfiElD View Post
I want him. He will make the linebackers instantly. I think its pretty obvious that Sims needs a big DT to be as effective as he can be. I think DT is a great position to go after in free agency, I hope we get him.
You had Shawn Rogers, and he is the closest thing to Haynesworth as there is.
AtariBigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:29 AM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtariBigby View Post
And Sims played really well the 2 yrs he had Rogers in front of him, and then this year Sims struggled when he didnt.

I like the dream of signing Fat Albert, the last 2 yrs he has made unknown DEs much more succesful playing next to him, which hopefully he could do with us.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Anyone wanna speculate other possible destinations for Haynesworth?

What other teams have cap space to sign him and a need for a DT?
Old 01-17-2009, 11:48 AM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Anyone wanna speculate other possible destinations for Haynesworth?

What other teams have cap space to sign him and a need for a DT?
Just about every team would love to sign him. Tennessee has been trying hard for an extension from what I've read. Pack has a big need at DT, Tampa, Jags among others. Additionally, the Chiefs will have a ton of cap room and could you imagine a DLine with Haynesworth and Dorsey anchoring it.

From ESPN: Interested: Texans? Panthers? Broncos? Falcons?

Last edited by woodnick : 01-17-2009 at 11:56 AM.
woodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:04 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnick View Post
Just about every team would love to sign him. Tennessee has been trying hard for an extension from what I've read. Pack has a big need at DT, Tampa, Jags among others. Additionally, the Chiefs will have a ton of cap room and could you imagine a DLine with Haynesworth and Dorsey anchoring it.

From ESPN: Interested: Texans? Panthers? Broncos? Falcons?
The Packers never sign free agents, so they're out for sure.

Panthers won't have the cap space. Right now they only have room to keep one of Peppers or Gross. No way they could sign Albert.

I could see an signing in Atlanta.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:26 PM    (permalink
jbombul
Rookie

jbombul hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.jbombul hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

would you guys be interested in the lions signing julius peppers? I read somewhere he wasn't interested in returning to carolina
jbombul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:39 PM    (permalink
TheDoctor8
Rookie

TheDoctor8 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TheDoctor8 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtariBigby View Post
So Haynesworth plays only 20 snaps a game because he is so out of shape. If Rogers is the closest thing to Big Al then I don't even want him. (I know he isn't. I just have a huge hatred/disgust of Rogers)
TheDoctor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbombul View Post
would you guys be interested in the lions signing julius peppers? I read somewhere he wasn't interested in returning to carolina
In a word, "yes."

But I'd rather have Haynesworth.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:15 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
LeBron James circa 2010.

I come from the future.
Boingggggg.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:12 AM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Packers never sign free agents, so they're out for sure.
Fact: Charles Woodson was traded to the Packers for an 8th round draft pick. :D

As for Haynesworth, I think the Lions should spend away. Getting a guy like Haynesworth would open a lot of different possibilities up in the draft, I think.
mqtirishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:14 AM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd rather us just drafting BJ Raji somehow.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:22 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd rather that we draft Raji as well, but the FA signing period goes off first. Haynesworth would help the Lions D sooooooo much....it would be a sick signing.

As for other teams who might try to sign him, here's one from leftfield....the Ravens.

Here me out: Suggs, Scott and Lewis are all UFA's...unlikely that more than one (if any) are re-signed. Spend that money on Haynesworth. Fat Albert and Ngata up the middle? It would make the Williams Wall look weak IMO. And we all know how B'More loves their D.
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:37 AM    (permalink
RayC

I see a lot of talk about cap space, and maybe someone who better understands cap room than I do can clarify. But with three of the top 33 picks, including number one overall, doesn't signing those players, especially number one, tie up a a pretty penny of cap room? I'm not saying it ties up everything, but certainly enough to make adding a huge (no pun intended) free agent signing to the mix a little steep in the pockets.

I'd like to see the Lions pursue Matt Cassel to get the quarterback issue out of the way if they look for a big name free agent. With the year Calvin Johnson had, he can make Cassel look as good as Randy Moss did, only with a running game if the Lions improve that O-Line and get someone big to spell Kevin Smith if they don't retain Rudi Johnson.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:55 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NOOOO Cassel! HUGE mistake IMO. We need to draft our QB of the future, and that's Stafford. Signing Cassel would be the equivelent of signing Sott Mitchell....stop-gap solution, not a person whom you can build around.

As for backig up K Smith, there's no forseeable way that the Lions would even dream of drafting another RB until late 3rd round as a minimum. More likely a decent back-up is signed via free agency. Smith will get a huge amountof carries this year.

I do agree with the need t address the O-line though...
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote