Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:26 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12
That's what the practice squad is for. Each team is allowed 8 players for their practice squad which is more than enough. There's no need to have a minor league. How many practice squad players ever turn into something in the NFL? Not many. The majority never even make the active roster.

The NFL wouldn't make money from a league like that and it's not worth it to develop players because the few that might have a chance to make an NFL roster would already be on a practice squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope
If every team submitted their practice squads for this type of thing, they'd practically have the entire rosters filled automatically.
Dirka dirka dur...

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:32 AM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
Dirka dirka dur...
Yeah, but it wouldn't be worth it.

Those players practice with the team just as much as all the players on the roster do. There is basically no difference between a practice squad player and the 53rd man on the roster other than they get paid less. There is no reason to create a league for it.

And like I said the NFL wouldn't be making money off of it.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:43 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12
And like I said the NFL wouldn't be making money off of it.
Every business is interested in money making opportunities. Which is why NFL Europe was created - to establish a market and fanbase in Europe. The NFL isn't making money in Lodon by playing regular season games there, but that's not the reason for it. The NFL is trying to broaden itself from an national business to an international business.

The same goes for the NFL franchises. We all know of the small market teams and the large market teams. If there was an opportunity to branch out into other cities, you'd think a team would take an opportunity on such a venture. It's not like they're taking a gamble by sending their star players that make them money to play in these games. Creative marketing would help bolster attendance. Have autograph signings or something, and make it into an experience for the fans.

I agree with you and others that these things have been attempted before, and they haven't succeeded. But, I don't think it's impossible or not worth it.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:02 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The ONLY way they could pull this off is to have it as a Spring/Summer league.

You wouldn't want your reserves playing during the same season risking themselves injury.

Imagine Team A has 2 MLB's. MLB 1 goes down. MLB 3 (The minor leaguer) tears ACL. Team has 0 depth.

Plus trying to get it on the same time as the NFL and NCAA you'd be fighting over what time would be good to have it played. Then... You struggle with Not having the guys learn your system while your coaching throughout a season.

I like BF51's Idea:

Quote:
If they did do this (and it's not a bad idea), it should have 8 teams, 1 conference, and 7 weeks (each teams plays each other once). You could then have a 4 team playoff, or just the top two teams play for some random championship. The idea of having a 32 team league is totally unrealistic, both in terms of interest and talent.

I also think they would have to find some unique markets that would actually appreciate a league like that. Hmm...lemme think....

1) Las Vegas (AFC West)
2) Norfolk, VA (AFC South)
3) Birmingham, AL (NFC South
4) Albany, NY (NFC East)
5) Honolulu (NFC West)
6) Providence (AFC East)
7) Akron (AFC North)
8) Omaha (NFC North)

Yeah, that'd do it.
I'd do it like this though...

Spring/Summer starting in either Late Feb, Early March.

East vs. West. 2 "Conferences" or Divisions.

AFC West, AFC South, NFC West, NFC North: West Divison

AFC East, AFC North, NFC East, NFC South: East Division

10 game season (Play each team in your division twice + 1 time other division)

Playoffs.

WEST #1, East #1 Byes

West #2 vs West #3, East #2 vs. East #3

West #1 vs Winner(West)... East #1 vs Winner (East)

Championship game.

Question in my mind comes down to....

1) Coaching.. Who coaches these teams? Certainly a main coach isn't going to want to spend his offseason coaching up not only his developmental team but someone elses players as well. That could cause problems. Who coaches and rates? Who decides.

2) Televised? Is this going to be on ESPN2? NFLN?

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:27 AM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
The ONLY way they could pull this off is to have it as a Spring/Summer league.

You wouldn't want your reserves playing during the same season risking themselves injury.

Imagine Team A has 2 MLB's. MLB 1 goes down. MLB 3 (The minor leaguer) tears ACL. Team has 0 depth.

Plus trying to get it on the same time as the NFL and NCAA you'd be fighting over what time would be good to have it played. Then... You struggle with Not having the guys learn your system while your coaching throughout a season.
Well Team A in most circumstances would only have 2 MLB's in the first place so the MLB 3 would just be a bonus.

I doubt they would be televised often if at all. How often do you see any Minor League Baseball games?

But I guess it all depends on what they're going for. A farm system or money making system. It would be nice to see some more undrafted players or first round busts playing football.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:45 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbears13 View Post
Well Team A in most circumstances would only have 2 MLB's in the first place so the MLB 3 would just be a bonus.

I doubt they would be televised often if at all. How often do you see any Minor League Baseball games?

But I guess it all depends on what they're going for. A farm system or money making system. It would be nice to see some more undrafted players or first round busts playing football.
The NFL would have no issue opening it up for more revenue.

I think the HQ would be more concerned with finances. The coaching system would be hoping for a farm system.

as far as watching. I think there would be more people interested watching the MLF(Minor League Football) in Spring/Summer than watching Minor League Baseball as it's being played Simultaneously with the pro's.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:25 AM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
If they did do this (and it's not a bad idea), it should have 8 teams, 1 conference, and 7 weeks (each teams plays each other once). You could then have a 4 team playoff, or just the top two teams play for some random championship. The idea of having a 32 team league is totally unrealistic, both in terms of interest and talent.

I also think they would have to find some unique markets that would actually appreciate a league like that. Hmm...lemme think....

1) Las Vegas (AFC West)
4) Albany, NY (NFC East)
5) Honolulu (NFC West)
6) Providence (AFC East)
7) Akron (AFC North)
8) Omaha (NFC North)

Yeah, that'd do it.
Oklahoma City > Omaha, trust me on this.

Sig by Hitman D.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:22 AM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post

1) Las Vegas (AFC West)
4) Albany, NY (NFC East)
5) Honolulu (NFC West)
6) Providence (AFC East)
7) Akron (AFC North)
8) Omaha (NFC North)

Yeah, that'd do it.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbears13 View Post

agreed.

I think it could air on NFLN. There usually isn't anything on worth watching in the offseason anyways...

agreed.

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!
j05son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:32 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about putting them in college towns if they will play in the spring? You'd have stadiums already set up, though they would never be close to capacity, you can tap into college students to fill seats if you sell tickets cheap.
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:37 AM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh NFL teams would still rather fill their rosters with college guys who they still see a lot of potential in rather than guys who we believe to be maxed out and are beating each other up trying to impress the NFL. Sure it could produce several guys but it's not the type of thing that you say send your young talent to grow because that doesn't work in football.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:55 AM    (permalink
the_legend_killer
Pro Bowler

the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like this idea, seems like an NFL Europa come to America. Although I may give either the AFC West or NFC West rep to L.A., then eventually they'd show their true "support" for the pro football teams and then they would again show they don't deserve a pro team :).
the_legend_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:35 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
Eh NFL teams would still rather fill their rosters with college guys who they still see a lot of potential in rather than guys who we believe to be maxed out and are beating each other up trying to impress the NFL. Sure it could produce several guys but it's not the type of thing that you say send your young talent to grow because that doesn't work in football.
Honestly, it would basically take the guys who USED to be drafted in round 8-12 make a squad and play to get on a team. It won't happen, but it would be fun :)
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:28 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It already has a minor league, it's called the CFL.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:51 PM    (permalink
BNad
Rookie

BNad hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The problem is players wouldn't be learning the system the team they're affiliated with uses. Everyone is always talking about how players will "get it" after a few seasons in the system. If they were in the minors for a couple of seasons would they be that much further along in their development?

On the practice squads, the players are at least learning the schemes.
BNad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:23 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well think of how many things will have to be put in place for this to even work for more than a season.

1)-Markets
Gotta have markets in which football will be successful. I think the college markets would be nice but those markets aren't going to care too much (the overall market) if players are playing that didn't go to the area. Just an example, Peter Warrick playing in Gainesville? Maybe a neutral Floridian city would do well. Same goes for other sites.

2)-Ticket Sales
Minor League Baseball teams often do gimmicks to get fans. I, for one, love going to Lakewood Blueclaws games or Trenton Thunder. It's awesome but their promotions in between innings would be hard to translate into football's halftime. But it would have to be fun for the kids too.

3)-Stadiums
Let's face it. Regardless of if we'd watch it, it's never good to see a lot of empty seats. I guess some FCS schools would supply decent enough sized stadiums to both bring some respectability and fill enough seats. The NFL won't waste time with this if there's no money to be had.

My overall plan is this:

I like BF51's 8 team rule. But I'm going to piggyback off the AAFL's idea. 8 teams but they will be regional. However, the closest market a player went to college; they will play for. I'll show you some examples, and remember this isn't my thoughts on the upcoming draft but just a diagram.

Team Philadelphia (played at Villanova?)
TiQuan Underwood (Rutgers)
Miles Austin (Monmouth)

Team Orlando
Percy Harvin (Florida)
Drew Weatherford (Florida State)

Team Shreveport
Demetrius Byrd (LSU)
Andre Smith (Alabama)

Team Portland
Brady Leaf (Oregon)
Jake Locker (Washington)

Team Omaha
Joe Ganz (Nebraska)
PJ Hill (Wisconsin)

Again, this is only a rough sketch but at the league will play from March to mid-May and at the conclusion there will be a player draft that may have say, 3 rounds and it's like the Supplemental Draft. You don't have to pick but in this case, you won't lose a draft pick for doing so.

Now the wear and tear would hurt, given these guys go from college to this league to NFL. So, I guess a smart idea would be to do what the NFL did for Diversity. I remember two years back, Ben Ishola was on the Colts PS to promote "diversity" in the NFL and they weren't allowed to lose him. So on the current, 8-man PS a player will be "locked" into a spot and can't be released or cut. That way they can recover a bit, but still be employed until next season.

There are plenty of holes in this, I assume, but it could help.

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:42 PM    (permalink
phatkroger10

absolutely not! it's called scout team. There's a lot of positions on a team already and backups. It's not like basketball or baseball where only 15 can be on a team.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If not a minor league, how about expanding practice squads? Instead of 8 players, make it 15-20. Get rid of the rules that make guys ineligible to be on a practice squad and I am sure teams would love that.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNad View Post
The problem is players wouldn't be learning the system the team they're affiliated with uses. Everyone is always talking about how players will "get it" after a few seasons in the system. If they were in the minors for a couple of seasons would they be that much further along in their development?

On the practice squads, the players are at least learning the schemes.
If the games are in spring, with short seasons...

They'll still have a break between their season and the NFL Season in which they could still be training in their "Native" Teams scheme.

This allows them to practice their technique and learn some nuances which could make them better in a game rather than being practice champions.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:36 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliez01 View Post
Well think of how many things will have to be put in place for this to even work for more than a season.

1)-Markets
Gotta have markets in which football will be successful. I think the college markets would be nice but those markets aren't going to care too much (the overall market) if players are playing that didn't go to the area. Just an example, Peter Warrick playing in Gainesville? Maybe a neutral Floridian city would do well. Same goes for other sites.

2)-Ticket Sales
Minor League Baseball teams often do gimmicks to get fans. I, for one, love going to Lakewood Blueclaws games or Trenton Thunder. It's awesome but their promotions in between innings would be hard to translate into football's halftime. But it would have to be fun for the kids too.

3)-Stadiums
Let's face it. Regardless of if we'd watch it, it's never good to see a lot of empty seats. I guess some FCS schools would supply decent enough sized stadiums to both bring some respectability and fill enough seats. The NFL won't waste time with this if there's no money to be had.

My overall plan is this:

I like BF51's 8 team rule. But I'm going to piggyback off the AAFL's idea. 8 teams but they will be regional. However, the closest market a player went to college; they will play for. I'll show you some examples, and remember this isn't my thoughts on the upcoming draft but just a diagram.

Team Philadelphia (played at Villanova?)
TiQuan Underwood (Rutgers)
Miles Austin (Monmouth)

Team Orlando
Percy Harvin (Florida)
Drew Weatherford (Florida State)

Team Shreveport
Demetrius Byrd (LSU)
Andre Smith (Alabama)

Team Portland
Brady Leaf (Oregon)
Jake Locker (Washington)

Team Omaha
Joe Ganz (Nebraska)
PJ Hill (Wisconsin)

Again, this is only a rough sketch but at the league will play from March to mid-May and at the conclusion there will be a player draft that may have say, 3 rounds and it's like the Supplemental Draft. You don't have to pick but in this case, you won't lose a draft pick for doing so.

Now the wear and tear would hurt, given these guys go from college to this league to NFL. So, I guess a smart idea would be to do what the NFL did for Diversity. I remember two years back, Ben Ishola was on the Colts PS to promote "diversity" in the NFL and they weren't allowed to lose him. So on the current, 8-man PS a player will be "locked" into a spot and can't be released or cut. That way they can recover a bit, but still be employed until next season.

There are plenty of holes in this, I assume, but it could help.
That would be awesome. Unless there's more interest than I'd anticipate, the stadium would probably be big enough. Not sure how it'd work with spring sports they play there, and I'm sure it would absolutely never actually happen, but I can dream.

I like BF51's 8 team idea. Not sure if I'd do it by division or not but that's not really a critical aspect of the idea, I also agree with whoever said not Honolulu for travel purposes. The spring/summer league I do like to an extent, kind of like MLB's fall league, only difficulty would be how exactly teams would get rawer draftees involved.

The one other difficulty I could see is getting rosters filled with the right groups of players. Maybe if you do it like the NBDL where some players are affiliated with teams but others aren't it could work. But how many teams are going to have kickers, punters, long snappers, etc on their practice squad (in all likelihood where the players would come from I'd imagine). Teams would probably need to be able to sign guys to fill some positions. And I'm sure a lot of teams would want to have quarterbacks in the developmental league for example, but odds are you're not going to want 4 QB's on a roster and only one is going to get play time, so you'd have to figure out how to swing that. I definitely think it's somethign the NFL should consider though, I'd love to see it happen and there's definitely some locations where would make sense to do it.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote