Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 01-18-2009, 09:22 PM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default My notes from the game

First off congratulations to Pittsburgh.

1. I am no longer unhappy with Willis McGahee. He looked very good running the ball against an extremely tough defense, and he blocked the blitz extremely well. God help him after that hit though, I'm praying that he's OK.

2. Frank Walker ******* blows. I want him gone. Also, we need a corner in the first round, desperately. I will be furious if the front office doesn't get one of Malcolm Jenkins, Vontae Davis, or D.J. Moore.

3. The offense is a couple of years away from being playoff ready. That is a problem, because the defense is those same couple of years away from being a bit too old. I think we need to trade for a stud wide receiver as soon as possible, a guy like Chad Johnson if he's on the market, maybe sign Houshmanzadeh if he comes available. This passing game isn't very good unless Flacco gets a good target. The offensive line is getting much better and should be OK with some guys improving.

4. Next year should be another good one, a lot of it will depend on Flacco's progression. If we get competent corners to play with Rolle and McAlister, we'll be perfect on defense, and a good target for Flacco is all we need to make another serious run. Joe has limitless talent, but he's very raw, I'm surprised he guided the team to the playoffs and as far as he did, but props to him for that.

Here's to looking forward to another great season.
sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:52 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Flacco finally showed why a rookie QB doesn't lead a team to a Super Bowl. The game was too fast for him today and he was in over his head. That said he should have plenty to build upon this offseason and will only get better.

Willis is the man and everyone needs to realize that. He shows up when it counts and was instrumental today of us actually even being in the game.

Great job by the defense in spite of injuries. Still after all these years need to learn how to wrap up Big Ben but hopefully that will change with Rex going to New York. Another thing that burns me up is 2 straight weeks we faced a team with a go to guy on 3rd downs, Justin Gage for the Titans and Ward for the Steelers, and 2 straight weeks we failed to focus on them on 3rd downs. This is totally unacceptable for an NFL defense.

Why oh why do we not use 3 and 4 wide sets on offense? The predictability of this offense is astounding. Where was the imagination we all fell in love with this season? Where was Troy Smith? Where was anything?

The draft is going to be crucial for us this year because we need depth and a WR over 6' tall because Joe can't seem to realize Mason and Clayton aren't it.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:13 PM    (permalink
ChefMike
Veteran

ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.

A big game WR was needed today... but a revamping of the entire core of receivers from WR to TE to 3rd down RB.

Percy Harvin in the 1st and Sign TJ Whosyourmamma draft CB in the 2nd and 3rd Rds and restructure C-Mac contract...
ChefMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:16 PM    (permalink
ChefMike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg819 View Post
Flacco finally showed why a rookie QB doesn't lead a team to a Super Bowl. The game was too fast for him today and he was in over his head. That said he should have plenty to build upon this offseason and will only get better.

Willis is the man and everyone needs to realize that. He shows up when it counts and was instrumental today of us actually even being in the game.

Great job by the defense in spite of injuries. Still after all these years need to learn how to wrap up Big Ben but hopefully that will change with Rex going to New York. Another thing that burns me up is 2 straight weeks we faced a team with a go to guy on 3rd downs, Justin Gage for the Titans and Ward for the Steelers, and 2 straight weeks we failed to focus on them on 3rd downs. This is totally unacceptable for an NFL defense.

Why oh why do we not use 3 and 4 wide sets on offense? The predictability of this offense is astounding. Where was the imagination we all fell in love with this season? Where was Troy Smith? Where was anything?

The draft is going to be crucial for us this year because we need depth and a WR over 6' tall because Joe can't seem to realize Mason and Clayton aren't it.
Just because your over 6' doesn't mean your going to be a great WR... we need a proven gamer... not a prototype guy... just like you hollered about Moore when he was with the team...we need a WR that is going to step up when the game dictates it... like Hines Ward, Santana Moss, Steve Smith, Wes Welker, Kevin Curtis, etc.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:21 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefMike View Post
A big game WR was needed today... but a revamping of the entire core of receivers from WR to TE to 3rd down RB.

Percy Harvin in the 1st and Sign TJ Whosyourmamma draft CB in the 2nd and 3rd Rds and restructure C-Mac contract...
Mcgahee is starter, McClain short yardage, Ray Rice 3rd down. We just spent a second rounder on a back we can't afford to use another high pick.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:24 PM    (permalink
ChefMike
Veteran

The problem though is that Rice is just not a real 3rd down RB.. he is a great 3rd string back...or a great player to trade for a DB
Old 01-18-2009, 10:30 PM    (permalink
sbh15
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't been a real big fan of Baltimore taking a Harvin or Maclin type, but after today's game, our team reminds me of last year's Titans. I feel like we're a Chris Johnson away from being on that elite level. I think if either fell to the Ravens, it could precede a corner, because we really just need very good depth, though I would prefer we end up with one of the three I named earlier.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:43 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Just because your over 6' doesn't mean your going to be a great WR... we need a proven gamer... not a prototype guy... just like you hollered about Moore when he was with the team...we need a WR that is going to step up when the game dictates it... like Hines Ward, Santana Moss, Steve Smith, Wes Welker, Kevin Curtis, etc.

My reason for saying a tall receiver is throughout the season Joe has constantly and consistently thrown balls too high for Mason and Clayton to even have a chance for. He's a big QB that needs tall options because of where he's delivering the ball. He will likely work on this in the offseason but the fact remains he overthrows shorter receivers and Derrick and Mark won't get any taller.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Quote:
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:44 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

Quote:
The problem though is that Rice is just not a real 3rd down RB.. he is a great 3rd string back...or a great player to trade for a DB
McGahee costs us 3 picks, and Rice is a 2nd rounder. With that invested in our backfield, running back will not be a concern come April.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-19-2009, 08:32 AM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

True, we are set at RB. no doubt about it. We need taht big-play WR desperatly if we are going to want and throw it deep often. I totally believe 100% that Demetrius Williams can be that guy for us. I think he'd easily be Flaccos favorite deep threat and I really can't wait for his return next year. I pray hes gonna be healthy. If we have enough confidence in him, I think we can put off WR in the first and take a corner. Cause our depth, is solid, they sure as hell aren't starters. With C-Mac being a baby and Samari really slowing down we need talent at CB and we need it fast. Corner IMO is our #1 need this offseason.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:03 AM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am a big supporter of Antonio Bryant. He's a big playmaker and win now type signing. He was a top 10 WR this season and character issues shouldn't be a problem if Ray is back. I'm hearing though that it could be at least 6 months till Mcgahee can even begin to condition so looks like McClain is our starting back season start, with Rice getting around 8-10 carries a game. Too early though and the Mcgahee reports are just preliminary.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:35 AM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

oh god. Im really sorry for McGahee. That is just terrible. 6 months. But if McClain is the starter week1, we better start seeing some more of Ray Rice cause McClain alone takes time to wear down defenses and I don't always want every game decided in teh 4th quater, It'd be nice to put teams away early.. and is Antonio Bryant even a FA? If he is, I guess its good news since the Bucs will probably look fora new HC before focusing on Bryant. Im a huge fan of his as well and I think he'd be a great Raven. Solid all around WR, however, whats he excel at? I never watched him closely, jsut heard his name alot. I think we've got a shot at him if hes a FA, sign him and draft defense throughtout the draft and we've got ourselves a great offseason right there. Along with Brown, Suggs and Lewis as well.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:13 AM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

IMO Antonio Bryant is the complete wideout. Big, strong hands, great vertical threat, can box out corners and he's only 27. The reason teams aren't jumping for him is because of his brutal record of character issues which once kicked him out of the league. He seems to have cleaned up though. One hell of a talented wideout from Pitt.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:27 AM    (permalink
EdReedUnstoppable
Hall of Famer
Icon

EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My notes from the game are this.....

Defensively, nothing to hang your head about at all. You gave up 16 points, and ytou injured Hines Ward, it couldn't have gone much better.

Offense (mainly Flacco) you need to hold a press conference and apologize toi the city of Baltimore, because you sucked ass all night long! Flacco licks Sacko!!!

The Steelers came out on the field last night, and ****** us up from beginning to end, they had every big hit, they made every big play, and thoroughly kicked our ass.

Xbox Live - Kevown8999
EdReedUnstoppable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:47 AM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
IMO Antonio Bryant is the complete wideout. Big, strong hands, great vertical threat, can box out corners and he's only 27. The reason teams aren't jumping for him is because of his brutal record of character issues which once kicked him out of the league. He seems to have cleaned up though. One hell of a talented wideout from Pitt.

thats what I love in WR. hes complete and young. Hes exactly what Flacco needs to get his play to another level. Is he a FA, cause if he is I can really see us trying to sign him especially since the Bucs now have other problems.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:51 AM    (permalink
EdReedUnstoppable
Hall of Famer
Icon

EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Antonio Bryant is a chemistry killer type of WR though, not interested. If we're goin after chemistry killers then lets at least get the best talent of them in Anquan Boldin.

Xbox Live - Kevown8999
Old 01-19-2009, 11:56 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yes we need a Bryant type of WR but not a thug like him.

I was at the game and screw pittsburgh. They cant shovel snow off the sidewalk. Some douche challeneged me to a fight because I did the incomplete pass signal.

But McGahee can play, I like the idea of him being the #1 RB. Have McClain be short yardage and Rice 3rd down. But still mix it up.

We desperately need a WR and CB.

We need to see what veterans retire and who comes back etc. Before I develop our off-season strategy.

BTW WTF is up w/ Figures? Is he hurt? He was great last year and he sucks this year.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:10 PM    (permalink
sbh15
All-Pro

We need more creative play calling as well...

We had some awesome plays with Mark Clayton doing that, and what happened to that package with Troy Smith at QB? He completed a 30 yard pass to Flacco in week 17!
Old 01-19-2009, 03:30 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh15 View Post
We need more creative play calling as well...

We had some awesome plays with Mark Clayton doing that, and what happened to that package with Troy Smith at QB? He completed a 30 yard pass to Flacco in week 17!

The same thing that always happens in the big game, the Ravens get way too conservative because they have no faith in the offense.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-19-2009, 04:55 PM    (permalink
ChewyRaven318
Rookie

ChewyRaven318 could make a wolverine purr.ChewyRaven318 could make a wolverine purr.ChewyRaven318 could make a wolverine purr.ChewyRaven318 could make a wolverine purr.ChewyRaven318 could make a wolverine purr.ChewyRaven318 could make a wolverine purr.

You can run Wildcat-like Suggs packages with Troy in games with DCs who don't know any better, but you can't run a lot of that stuff against a guy like Dick LeBeau. He's just too good of a DC. I would have loved to see Troy in the game, but think about it. Would anything in that package really work? That D has already seen us twice, and i'm sure watch tape of those kinds of packages and it wouldn't have taken long to sniff anything like that out.

That D was just way too good last night and our offense was just way too green against it. Flacco will learn from his mistakes, but Polamalu hadn't made a big play against Flacco in the other two meetings, so he just trusted his arm and Mason's placement and paid the price for underestimating Troy. That's something he can learn from. OTAs will do WONDERS for his downfield accuracy, as well..we better hope, anyways. Rookie QBs can only go so far, though. Flacco proved some serious metal up until last night, now he has to prove that he can work on his accuracy issues, and his confidence in his recievers. Hesitation also killed his game, so that's something that he'll need to work on. Once the depth at WR is fixed and the O-line can improve, this offense will be a force to be reckoned with. I truly believe that.
ChewyRaven318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:08 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewyRaven318 View Post
You can run Wildcat-like Suggs packages with Troy in games with DCs who don't know any better, but you can't run a lot of that stuff against a guy like Dick LeBeau. He's just too good of a DC. I would have loved to see Troy in the game, but think about it. Would anything in that package really work? That D has already seen us twice, and i'm sure watch tape of those kinds of packages and it wouldn't have taken long to sniff anything like that out.

That D was just way too good last night and our offense was just way too green against it. Flacco will learn from his mistakes, but Polamalu hadn't made a big play against Flacco in the other two meetings, so he just trusted his arm and Mason's placement and paid the price for underestimating Troy. That's something he can learn from. OTAs will do WONDERS for his downfield accuracy, as well..we better hope, anyways. Rookie QBs can only go so far, though. Flacco proved some serious metal up until last night, now he has to prove that he can work on his accuracy issues, and his confidence in his recievers. Hesitation also killed his game, so that's something that he'll need to work on. Once the depth at WR is fixed and the O-line can improve, this offense will be a force to be reckoned with. I truly believe that.
Actually he just stared down Mason and made it a easy pick for Troy. Joe had a horrible game. It happens and unfortunately he picked the absolute worst game to do it.

We needed offensive flair last night and they were to scared to do it. Yeah yeah it was Dick LeBeau, but you could also say you don't do razzle dazzle plays against Jim Johnson but it worked for Arizona. ;)

Bottomline, when it meant the most the offense got conservative like it always does.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-19-2009, 06:18 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think this game really showed how terrible our corner backs are. Washington is a nickel at best. That touchdown was a pitiful athletic display by him and terrible effort tackling by the other corners on the field (Ivy, Walker). Ogelsby should never see the field in the regular season, let alone a post season game.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:26 PM    (permalink
EdReedUnstoppable
Hall of Famer
Icon

Quote:
I disagree!

Ray Rice is a real change of pace/3rd down back. He catches very well out of the backfield and is very explosive once the ball is in his hand.

Xbox Live - Kevown8999
Old 01-20-2009, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rice is the perfect 3rd down back. Can go out for a pass, a fast SOB, and runs hard. I love him