Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:46 AM    (permalink
Whomecouldntbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
That's partly what I was getting it, but I was being more specific with the number of ranked WR's for argument's sake. My point was to counter the arguments of Whomecouldn'tbe and MS17, rather than the population as a whole as the two of them were representative of the population.

I never meant to insinuate that people just used the five most commonly ranked WR's to create their list. In fact, I was trying to say that they shouldn't, and them not doing so didn't mean they were wrong. But, I feel that this argument has outlived it's purpose.
Putting a wide receiver at spot 5, for example, is indeed subjective. But generally, there are very objective ways to rank receivers. It's why I can say without a shadow of a doubt Andre Johnson is a better receiver than Kevin Walter.

As I said, it's a mix of the subjective (peoples opinions on the players) and the objective (stats, physical ability, route running, mental grasp of the game). You can't simply say it's subjective, or else you're saying that I can make the argument that Kevin Walter is better than Andre Johnson, and not be wrong. Which would mean we'd have to ignore the fact that Andre is faster, bigger, stronger, better hands, better route running, better leaping ability, and has put up better numbers.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Whomecouldntbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
I never said he is top 3. His hands aren't good enough at this point.

But as far as making plays and getting open he is right there. He is physical, fast, versatile, and productive.
Even physically he isn't top 3. Calvin, Andre, Moss, and arguably Fitz (bit slower, yes) are more physical than he is, and all have better hands. Steve Smith is better, as well. Roddy is top 10, not top 5.

Just an aside:

When you look at Anquan and Larry, in their first 5 seasons, Boldin is only 500 yards, 17 TD's behind Larry, despite 12 less games, and his first year he didn't have Larry, where Larry has always had 'Quan. Yet EVERYONE quickly puts Larry ahead of Boldin. Even though this year Boldin would probably have put up better stats than Larry if he hadn't been injured. Just sort of odd.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:00 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomecouldntbe View Post

When you look at Anquan and Larry, in their first 5 seasons, Boldin is only 500 yards, 17 TD's behind Larry, despite 12 less games, and his first year he didn't have Larry, where Larry has always had 'Quan. Yet EVERYONE quickly puts Larry ahead of Boldin. Even though this year Boldin would probably have put up better stats than Larry if he hadn't been injured. Just sort of odd.
17 TDs is a huge difference.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:19 PM    (permalink
Whomecouldntbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
17 TDs is a huge difference.
In 12 less games.

Given missed games, their stats are quite similar. In 4 more games, Boldin has 76 more receptions, 500 more yards, and 6 less TD's.

Statistically they are the same. Just Boldin has produced WITHOUT Fitzgerald.

And, yes, I think Fitzgerald is the better receiver, but not by nearly as much as people think.

Last edited by Whomecouldntbe : 02-08-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:03 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomecouldntbe View Post
Even physically he isn't top 3. Calvin, Andre, Moss, and arguably Fitz (bit slower, yes) are more physical than he is, and all have better hands. Steve Smith is better, as well. Roddy is top 10, not top 5.

Just an aside:

Yes, he is.

He is a great physical speciman, but no, not on the freak level of CJ or Andre. But he still gets open with all of them. Being a freak isn't great unless you utilize it. And Roddy gets open as much as those freaks.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote