Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: What Kind of Coach Would You Want?
Offensive Background (O coordinator, WRs coach etc..) 8 11.59%
Defensive Background (D coordinator, DBs coach etc..) 49 71.01%
Former College Head Coach 1 1.45%
Former NFL Head Coach 8 11.59%
None of the Above 3 4.35%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2009, 05:33 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default What Kind of Coaching Background Do You Want?

I was thinking about this today. When you are looking for a new coach for a team, do you want one with a defensive background (D Coordinator, DBs coach, LBs coach etc..), offensive background (O Coordinator, WRs coach, RBs coach etc..), former college head coach, or a former NFL head coach?
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seeing as college to NFL transitions don't work out very well most of the time, and the reason some coaches are former head coaches means they got fired (could have retired, but still they have been out of the game a bit), and as a defensive guy, I'd go with a Defensive coordinator, and young coordinators turned coaches have been quite successful lately, Harbaugh, Sparano, etc.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:42 PM    (permalink
Burger
Rookie

Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am a offensive guy, so I am going to get a former offensive Coordinator, like Russ Grimm.
Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:46 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would go with a defensive guy.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:06 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since I am an offensive guy I would want a defensive guy obviously.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:10 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone who coached under Bill Belichick. (I know Romeo and Magini got fired but I stand by what I said.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:41 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Anyone who coached under Bill Belichick. (I know Romeo and Magini got fired but I stand by what I said.
Really? Weis sucks, Crennel sucks, Mangini is w/e, and we'll have to wait and see about Daniels. Bellichick disciples don't have a good track record right now.

Bone Krusher, the best
Old 01-19-2009, 09:42 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaka View Post
Really? Weis sucks, Crennel sucks, Mangini is w/e, and we'll have to wait and see about Daniels. Bellichick disciples don't have a good track record right now.
Not as head coaches atleast. I would take any of them as a cordinator any day.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:52 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Not as head coaches atleast. I would take any of them as a cordinator any day.
Oh that is a different story, I too would take anyone of them as a coordinator, but as a Head Coach, errrm no thanks.

Bone Krusher, the best
Old 01-19-2009, 10:52 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wow, i voted defensive guy, but i certainly didn't expect the poll to be this one sided. I'd say a former HC, but it really depends on which head coach it really is...there are some i would like, and many i wouldn't. I'm a defense first guy, so if a DC is in the discussion, he is probably doing a pretty darn good job of it. This is part of the reason i'm so pumped about Rex Ryan

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:17 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaka View Post
Seeing as college to NFL transitions don't work out very well most of the time, and the reason some coaches are former head coaches means they got fired (could have retired, but still they have been out of the game a bit), and as a defensive guy, I'd go with a Defensive coordinator, and young coordinators turned coaches have been quite successful lately, Harbaugh, Sparano, etc.
Neither Harbaugh or Sparano have ever been defensive coordinators...

Personally I'd prefer a DC but I like former Oline coaches aswell.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:40 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

offense, you need to build the offense if you want success.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:01 AM    (permalink
Zyro_1014
Pro Bowler

Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.

Im more of an offensive minded guy, but to be honest i would go with a defensive guy.
Zyro_1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:43 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the idea of a defensive guy being the HC and hiring a talented OC to have complete control of the offense, minus calling dumb plays like Sean Payton and Jason Garrett have a tendency to do.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:40 AM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan View Post
Neither Harbaugh or Sparano have ever been defensive coordinators...

Personally I'd prefer a DC but I like former Oline coaches aswell.
In the poll it says, D Coordinators, DB coaches etc. and I brought up Harbaugh and Sparano to prove that inexperienced coaches have been very successful as of late, not to bring up examples of D Coordinators.

Bone Krusher, the best
Old 01-20-2009, 07:19 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Depends what team. If I'm putting together a coaching staff for an expansion team then I would take a former head coach because of how young the team would be and the expierience brought in by a former head coach. I'd prefer for him to be defensive minded, though.

If I was looking for a head coach for the Packers then I would stay on the offensive side of the ball.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:43 AM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

defense wins championships

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:23 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would interview a handful of both, and ask them questions based on their past, and even Xs and Os. Perhaps I would show them cutups of a game and ask them what they would call in certain situation based on the call sheet.

I also want see their rules and regulations and how they conduct practice. So give me your practice schedule as well. Basically I want to see how organized they are with everything as well as their attention to detail. I want to know how they will utilize their roster, and what coaches, in terms of style fit their vision.

The interview is where the job is won. That's why you see 4 hour interviews and such. I want to make sure the guy is a perfect fit, and honestly could careless what side of the ball he is from. Also, depending on the market, he has to be able to handle the media well. I know in the NY market that is huge. Mangini was cold to the media and that hurt him as he stayed here. Ironic because he was the toast of the town his first year. But they have to be able to work the media just like the media will work them. So charisma is a huge plus in a big market.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:35 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ideally, give me a great defensive minded head coach and have him hire someone experienced to run the offense.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:43 AM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im an offensive guy but i would rather have D guy come in. because as we knoe u cant win squat if u have a poor defense but you can win if u have an average offense and good defense
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:35 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think it really depends on the guys around.

If im the Steelers or the Eagles i wouldnt take a defensive guy, just let those geniuses do what they can. (Obviously kinda weird with Tomlin but meh)

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:57 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
i think it really depends on the guys around.

If im the Steelers or the Eagles i wouldnt take a defensive guy, just let those geniuses do what they can. (Obviously kinda weird with Tomlin but meh)
I believe Tomlin was a defensive coach in Minnesota. Coordinator, i think.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:58 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
I would interview a handful of both, and ask them questions based on their past, and even Xs and Os. Perhaps I would show them cutups of a game and ask them what they would call in certain situation based on the call sheet.
Keep in mind that at this point you're a general manager..
Old 01-20-2009, 12:01 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It really depends, I wouldn't say its that simple.

I want a guy who emphasizes trench play, toughness on both sides of the ball, and smashmouth football. A guy with leadership and accountability, and discipline.

That could be a defensive guy, or an offensive guy. Its more about personality and identity than it is Xs and Os really.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:18 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Keep in mind that at this point you're a general manager..
Yeah, well both coaches and GM's use that method to interview. I had a coach on my staff get interviewed to another position and said they basically ask all this stuff. It varies with GMs of course, I mean we all are human and have different styles, but usually the 4 hour interviews, if thorough ask and go over everything.

If I get to be a HC at any level, that's how I would pick my coaches. I mean I would tailor it of course, but I'd keep it similar. If I was a GM I would make it hard and let the person's interview dictate it. I want to know how organized the coach can be.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote