Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 01-21-2009, 09:46 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Question for Scott and others...

Right now I am in the middle of picking which college to go to next year, and am currently getting heavily recruited by D-III and NAIA schools. I was just wondering what some of you guys thought of the level of play between NAIA, D-III, and D-II. Obviosuly D-I and D-1AA are the top levels, but I have heard conflicting reports from people. Some say that D-II = NAIA > D-III. Others say all of the are equal. Some say that D-II > NAIA >= D-III.

I was wondering what some of your guys thoughts were, and especially Scott (yeah, he's a little busy now) because he has been scouting prospects for a long time.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:17 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You don't wanna listen to the NAIA guys, ever. They make up a bunch of crap about how they're just as good as D-2 schools and even some D-1 schools(WTF?). The NAIA campuses are a joke, high school level campus. If want to play football, then if you could choose a good D-2 school, I would. I won't want to have anything to do with NAIA, which is a joke.

There's a big difference between D-2>D-3>NAIA. These people are NAIA for a reason.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:20 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

JUCO, JUCO, JUCO. JUCOs are scouted to be recruited to D-I schools, DIII and DII arent.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:20 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
You don't wanna listen to the NAIA guys, ever. They make up a bunch of crap about how they're just as good as D-2 schools and even some D-1 schools(WTF?). The NAIA campuses are a joke, high school level campus. If want to play football, then if you could choose a good D-2 school, I would. I won't want to have anything to do with NAIA, which is a joke.

There's a big difference between D-2>D-3>NAIA. These people are NAIA for a reason.
If your gonna play for a D2 school, I would just go for D1, you work just as hard, although you might not get as much time on the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:34 PM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
JUCO, JUCO, JUCO. JUCOs are scouted to be recruited to D-I schools, DIII and DII arent.
Is his goal to make it to a DI school? If so, this is probably the route to take. If not, go be the big man on a dII campus.
locseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:38 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locseti View Post
Is his goal to make it to a DI school?
I have no idea but if that is his goal, JUCO is the way to go.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:41 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I second this, Juco is the best way in any situation.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:43 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVEHEART View Post
I second this, Juco is the best way in any situation.
Yeah and even if he just wants to play D-II, you can still go the JUCO route and be recruited for D-II.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:03 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have been thinking about JuCo for a while, and it is a legit possibility I could go D-I after those 2 years, but it'll be tough to turn down practically a full scholarship to an NAIA school which is consistently ranked in the top 25.

D-II would be nice if there was actually some D-II schools in Illinois and actually actively recruited in my area.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:07 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I have been thinking about JuCo for a while, and it is a legit possibility I could go D-I after those 2 years, but it'll be tough to turn down practically a full scholarship to an NAIA school which is consistently ranked in the top 25.

D-II would be nice if there was actually some D-II schools in Illinois and actually actively recruited in my area.
Is JUCO all that expensive? I was under the impression they were relatively low cost? If you want to go to a nice JUCO program you could contact Blinn College here in Texas about a scholarship: http://www.blinn.edu/Buccaneer/athle...hips/index.htm they give out a lot of them.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:09 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

There are really cheap and give scholarships, but the out of state ones can only give out up to 30 or something like that, and some of these JuCo's are extremely tough to play on.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:10 PM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

JUCO is dirt cheap, 21 bucks a unit in Cali. C'mon Smokey Joe, even Rudy walked on at Notre Dame, you can make it at Northern Illinois!
locseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:11 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
There are really cheap and give scholarships, but the out of state ones can only give out up to 30 or something like that, and some of these JuCo's are extremely tough to play on.
I know Blinn is one of the best year in and year out. I guess it all depends on your goals. If you want to play at D-II or something I would go JUCO. If you are just trying to get a free education, I think NAIA is the way to go.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:14 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Go to William Rainey Harper College in Palatine Smokey, they are legit.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:15 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

What position do you play, Joe?

Old 01-21-2009, 11:17 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Go to William Rainey Harper College in Palatine Smokey, they are legit.
I have a cousin on the team (gonna be a sophomore), and I have really considered them. They aren't like Blinn where they are just loaded with talent, but they have a good number of players that get scholarships to play at some of the lesser D-I schools, as well as D-IAA, and D-II.

How do you know so much about Harper? You go there, live near there???

Old 01-21-2009, 11:19 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by locseti View Post
JUCO is dirt cheap, 21 bucks a unit in Cali. C'mon Smokey Joe, even Rudy walked on at Notre Dame, you can make it at Northern Illinois!
One of my real good friends actually got a full ride to Northern, and I would love to play with him at the college level. We had some fun times in High School

Old 01-21-2009, 11:22 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Quote:
What position do you play, Joe?
OLine. Right now I'm about 6'4'', 255. I figure with two years at JuCo, I could get up to 6'5", 305. My max in bench is about 265 right now, and squat is at about 425 (I had to cut down on that because my doctor told me I was borderline hernia and that I shouldn't overdue with Squat). I was a late bloomer though and still have a lot of room of growth. I'm hoping by the end of this school year to get my bench up to 300 and Squat at at least 450, as long as I don't have anything bulging out of my stomach.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:25 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I have a cousin on the team (gonna be a sophomore), and I have really considered them. They aren't like Blinn where they are just loaded with talent, but they have a good number of players that get scholarships to play at some of the lesser D-I schools, as well as D-IAA, and D-II.

How do you know so much about Harper? You go there, live near there???
I live the town over. A bunch of the football players from the surrounding high schools go and play there. After my freshman year of college I worked with a kid at motorola who played linebacker there and then went to play at Iowa State. I also know that my current school Illinois State recruits there. They usually field a very competitive team and go to a JuCo bowl much of the time.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:26 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears10 View Post
I live the town over. A bunch of the football players from the surrounding high schools go and play there. After my freshman year of college I worked with a kid at motorola who played linebacker there and then went to play at Iowa State. I also know that my current school Illinois State recruits there. They usually field a very competitive team and go to a JuCo bowl much of the time.
You would probably know more then me... do a lot of their players get offers from D-IA and D-IAA schools?

Old 01-21-2009, 11:31 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Avoid NAIA at all costs. Even if you just play D3, it is A LOT better to play in the NCAA.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You would probably know more then me... do a lot of their players get offers from D-IA and D-IAA schools?
Their current QB might be coming to Iowa. Iowa has recruited at least a handful of players out of there in the last couple years. Harper is usually a really good team every couple years and is a very respected JUCO program, especially their coach if he is the one that's been there for the last 5-10 years. If you don't get interest from 1A schools, I'm sure Illinois schools in 1AA will definitely give you looks.

And yes, I live near Harper and have taken classes there during the summer.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
Avoid NAIA at all costs. Even if you just play D3, it is A LOT better to play in the NCAA.
Can you elaborate some more?

Old 01-21-2009, 11:32 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Their current QB might be coming to Iowa. Iowa has recruited at least a handful of players out of there in the last couple years. Harper is usually a really good team every couple years and is a very respected JUCO program, especially their coach if he is the one that's been there for the last 5-10 years.
Do you know much about Iowa Central, because that's one I've been looking at as well.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:35 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Right now I am in the middle of picking which college to go to next year, and am currently getting heavily recruited by D-III and NAIA schools. I was just wondering what some of you guys thought of the level of play between NAIA, D-III, and D-II. Obviosuly D-I and D-1AA are the top levels, but I have heard conflicting reports from people. Some say that D-II = NAIA > D-III. Others say all of the are equal. Some say that D-II > NAIA >= D-III.

I was wondering what some of your guys thoughts were, and especially Scott (yeah, he's a little busy now) because he has been scouting prospects for a long time.
Hampton???