Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 01-22-2009, 03:19 AM    (permalink
Zycho32
Veteran

Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default "The" Uniform Thread

What follows is a copy-and-paste of a thread I created back in September of '08 for the LambeauLeap site. So those of you who frequent there probably have seen it. As for the rest, well.... you need new threads and this is the first one I could come up with. The rest is just pure nostalgia stuff.

Anyhow;

Over the years of developing and refining my interest in the Packers and football in general, I've developed a particular quirk; mainly I've become a sort of uniform critic in my mind. (I swear, if I were to make comments about uniforms and what kinds suck and what kinds rule while at a football game party thrown at somebody's place, everybody there might just start to creep away from me.)

Anyway, I made this thread in the interest of making discussion about football uniforms, and not just about the ones the Packers wear (though that's probably the majority of the potential conversation) but rather those in the NFL, College Football, Canadian Football, Arena Football, and even the High School unis (though that probably won't have much of a following).

To begin with, an observation I made;

http://www.packersuniforms.com/

That's the place to go for documenting whatever changes the Packer shave made to their uniforms during their entire history. I know this has been discussed before, but the '93 entry deserves another mention for the proposed overhaul. The most drastic change in this 'new' uniform was to be the change from Yellow to an actual tone of gold, what they called 'metallic' gold. After that, all the stripes- helmet, pants, sleeves- were to be removed. You can find a 'theoretical' design of this new uniform on the site itself- imageshack is NOT my friend.

(Personally, when a team makes a drastic uniform change, it mostly means one thing; the team really sucks and needs something flashier to induce more sales. There have been exceptions to the rule, but in general you don't see uniforms change unless the team or profit is generally down)

Anyhoo, Ron Wolf said he didn't like the Yellow in the current design, comparing it to the Yellow in the Michigan uniforms. The yellow does have it's drawbacks- certain photographs reveal the yellow becomes more like the highlight marker type yellow in certain lighting, and usually that's with the visiting uniforms. However, the gold in the design picture fails to impress me- it felt remarkably similar in color to the gold the 49ers use, and for all the merit that team has, it's a dull color not helped by the dark green that it supports.

However, if the Packers were to ever switch from an actual yellow to a tone of gold, I have just the idea.

http://bullsgallery.com/c...ge.php?album=9&pos=26
-(Home Uni, Daytime)
http://bullsgallery.com/c...ge.php?album=8&pos=19
-(Home Uni, Nighttime)
http://bullsgallery.com/c...e.php?album=45&pos=40
-(Away Uni, Daytime)
http://bullsgallery.com/c...e.php?album=15&pos=10
-(Away Uni, Nighttime)

What you're looking at- if you've cared enough to click on the links- are the uniforms worn by the University of South Florida football team during 2007 (this year I think they changed their numbering). There are one or two additional things to like about the uniform in question, but the primary focus is on the helmet color.

THIS is the type of Gold the Packers should revert to- if they ever dare switch from yellow. It's got a healthy spark of life to it and it meshes terrificly with the green USF uses. The tone stays the same regardless of the lighting, and feels the same regardless of which jersey is worn. More importantly, it's not a drastic jump from the traditional gold the Packers have used since '59- it's not a 49er knockoff gold only with green instead of red. It's almost a logical progression that may just be more photogenic.

It wouldn't be a carbon copy of the USF helmet though. Try imagining it with green facemasks, the standard GB helmet stripes, and then try to imagine the pants with the exact same gold tone (USF uses Green Pants, and I'm not about to endorse that kind of change for GB). Yeah, replace the Bulls logo with the 'G' too.

Additional notes; USF has a gold outline on their numbers, a detail that tickles me. I can live without it, but I do think it would be a nice addition to the Packer uniforms to include a gold outline to their numbers. Seriously.

...for the record, I would like to point out that I do not think the current Packers uniforms stink. Far from it. They are one of a few naturally classic designs which are just fine the way they are and don't need psychotic revisions- like the nutjob who changed the Bills unis. I'm just keeping an open mind that some designs can be enhanced to a sensible degree while maintaining the old traditions they keep.

...so go nuts, y'all.
Zycho32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:41 AM    (permalink
AtariBigby
Veteran

AtariBigby AtariBigby AtariBigby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zycho32 View Post
http://bullsgallery.com/c...ge.php?album=9&pos=26
-(Home Uni, Daytime)
http://bullsgallery.com/c...ge.php?album=8&pos=19
-(Home Uni, Nighttime)
http://bullsgallery.com/c...e.php?album=45&pos=40
-(Away Uni, Daytime)
http://bullsgallery.com/c...e.php?album=15&pos=10
-(Away Uni, Nighttime)

What you're looking at- if you've cared enough to click on the links- are the uniforms worn by the University of South Florida football team
Very nice, but I can't comment more because none of your links work.
I like the idea though, I hate the piss yellow, or mustard yellow, of our pants especially on the road with the white jerseys.
I believe image means a lot, and while I don't care about jersey sales, I think a tougher look can have a tiny + impact. It's the same to me as a team choosing to wear black shoes, or the tough guys choosing to go sleevless when it's below zero: image.
AtariBigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:16 AM    (permalink
Zycho32
Veteran

Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Zycho32 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aw, nuts. Well, get a picture or several of the South Florida team from this or last season and imagine them with the 'standard' number text and you'll get my point.

I'm curious Atari, what would you define as a 'tougher' look?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:11 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I personally love our current uniforms. Think they're the best in the NFL. I don't think changing the shade of yellow is something the front office people in Green Bay are particularly thinking about. Our uniforms have a very distinct look and a timeless design. No change needs to be made, in my opinion, but I wouldn't go crazy about one happening. Any change would be 'for the hell of it.' I'm all for tweeking the design a bit to make it more modern but not for a changing of a color tone.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:06 AM    (permalink
AtariBigby
Veteran

AtariBigby AtariBigby AtariBigby

Quote:
That's a good question. A tough answer.
I've done some designs trying to accomplish just that. First off, I like our home uni's.

It's just on the road, it reminds me of an Egg McMuffin. It's just yellow and white. It's lame, we look like 45 baby ducklings waddling around.
Yellow heads, white jerseys, yellow pants, It's ugly. At least the Steelers have the black helmets on the road on top of their white jerseys and yellow pants, and I think their pants are more golder than bright yellow like ours.

I'd like the road pants to either NOT be yellow (how bout dark green), or wear a dark green helmet. Or a black helmet with our normal G on it.
AtariBigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Aw, nuts. Well, get a picture or several of the South Florida team from this or last season and imagine them with the 'standard' number text and you'll get my point.

The old uni's the Packers wore once in a while, in the early-mid 90's when they played the Bears.. That game Brett took off late in the game and ended up scoring a rushing TD by diving head long over several players.

The jerseys were god-awful, but I'd like to see them again at least once.

I think they were brown pants, navy blue and dark-ish yellow tops. haha, good stuff

Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:46 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know, in all reality I think that the color of yellow that we use is ugly, but I still wouldn't ever change it. I just think that unless it is the changing of some minor details of the uniforms, they shouldn't be changed. They have way too much history and I think that changing something such as the color would send out the wrong message. To me, it would be like the Bears changing their uniforms drastically, it just wouldn't make any sense.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Zycho32
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtariBigby View Post
That's a good question. A tough answer.
I've done some designs trying to accomplish just that. First off, I like our home uni's.

It's just on the road, it reminds me of an Egg McMuffin. It's just yellow and white. It's lame, we look like 45 baby ducklings waddling around.
Yellow heads, white jerseys, yellow pants, It's ugly. At least the Steelers have the black helmets on the road on top of their white jerseys and yellow pants, and I think their pants are more golder than bright yellow like ours.

I'd like the road pants to either NOT be yellow (how bout dark green), or wear a dark green helmet. Or a black helmet with our normal G on it.

So you're endorsing the Washington State method? (Those guys who wear a completely different helmet when on the road.)

I have to confess I'm not enthused with the ideas you put down, and for the following reasons;

1. One of the usual 'guidelines' I follow towards uniform etiquette is this; if the helmet is a seperate color from the home jersey, then the pants should match the helmet (granted, I'm an obsessive-bordering-on-aspbergers about symmetry). To date, the Steelers are the only NFL club who clearly go against this guideline, but their tradition offsets the lack of symmetry.

2. Dark Green pants and helmets might be a compromise, but unless they have yellow or some other color outside of the green spectrum as an accent, it's going to come across as lame and uninspiring (case in point, the Eagles go with a deep green with only silver as an accent, and it just doesn't look anything other than dull).

3. Imitation might be the sincerest form of flattery, but seriously, I can't see black belonging within the color pallette, not even as an accent. And to top that off, there's no point trying to come across as a Steeler knock-off. Green Bay's tradition is too strong to require copying someone else.

And I guess I haven't made myself clear either; given a choice without pressure, I wouldn't change the uniform in the slightest. However, if I had the proverbial gun pointed at my head and I was told I had to change SOMETHING... well, the shift from yellow to a legit gold color would be my choice. Everything else is fine.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:32 PM    (permalink
jsa230
Rookie

jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tradition is what makes the Packers uniforms, not over analyzing every detail and nitpicking what should be changed. Tradition.

On Andrew Luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
People are expecting him to be some sort of alien defense-destroying robot QB and it's just not realistic.
jsa230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:23 PM    (permalink
Zycho32
Veteran

Agreed; tradition goes a long way towards preserving a classic design. Chicago, Oakland, Dallas, Pittsburgh among others... all would probably be drastically different had tradition not played a role in their preservation.

Not that tradition is the be-all end-all though; considering Green Bay made multiple asthetic changes (who remembers the Forest Gregg Era pants during the 80's?) and a whole palette shift in the 50's.