Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

View Poll Results: Select the THREE (3) Quarterbacks you think will be on the Lions roster in 2009:
Dan Orlovsky 31 59.62%
Drew Stanton 38 73.08%
Jon Kitna 8 15.38%
Daunte Culpepper 20 38.46%
Matthew Stafford 42 80.77%
Mark Sanchez 4 7.69%
Josh Freeman 1 1.92%
Drew Henson 3 5.77%
Other Free Agent Veteran QB 8 15.38%
Other QB taken in the late rounds 1 1.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2009, 12:55 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Predict the Lions QB Trio for 2009

Here's the deal:

Vote for exactly three (3) of the QB's listen in the poll.

Which QB's will be on the Lions roster when the regular season begins in 2009, and provide a rationale.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:58 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Right now, I'm thinking it'll be Daunte Culpepper, Drew Stanton, and Matthew Stafford. Henson will also be with the team in some capacity.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:01 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Brent, I'd like to keep Orlovsky, but to have him along with Stafford and Daunte would require us to spend like 20% of our cap space on QB's since Stafford's signing bonus will be large and Orlovsky probably wouldn't return to Detroit for cheap (if at all).
Old 01-24-2009, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is no way to know what the three guys are thinking. They say they are committed to "pounding the rock" and "building from the inside out" all point to OLinemen. They also have said "We need a replacement for Bobby Lane" which points directly at Stafford. They also put an enfaces on stopping the run which points at a dark horse BJ Raji. Although nobody thinks so, this first pick is far from a Stafford lock and dare I say that I fully trust Mayhew to make this decision. Whomever is the #1 overall pick I won't think it was a bad decision (except Crabs or a horrible reach).

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:06 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Culpepper, Orlovsky, Stanton.

No big changes in QB personel at least until 2010 when they draft one of the fellas ... McCoy, Bradford, Tebow etc.

Hopefully Jimbo lets Linehan keep it competitive for the starting spot, with the front runner earning #1 reps ... really it is only for 1 year b/c I see BIG changes in 2010's signal caller group

But ... for now, let Daunte think he is youthful enough and Dan skillful enough to be starters in this league (although both only capable back-ups imo). Maybe if Daunte can learn the FULL play book after an off season he can get us a few wins ... oh, no that won't happen ... there I go being an optimistic Lion fan ;o)

Last edited by SINCE1978 : 01-24-2009 at 02:25 PM.
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Fogcity_faithful
Rookie

Fogcity_faithful hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think they bring Kitna and Stanton back, maybe take a chance on Stafford. Maybe sit him for a season. Stafford is the only wild-card on that one. It is between him and Orlovsky
Fogcity_faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:14 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hopefully it's Orvlosky, Stafford, Hensen.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:36 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't now why I voted for other veteran QB, haha.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:38 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
I don't now why I voted for other veteran QB, haha.
You had a "MM".;)
Old 01-24-2009, 04:05 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stafford, Sanchez, and Freeman. One of them has to hit, right? We'll use our extra picks to move around and get all of them.

Eh. Anyways. I picked Stafford, Stanton, and another FA Vet QB. I envision the Veteran QB as one of these four: Kyle Boller, Byron Leftwich, JP Losman, and Patrick Ramsey.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:13 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
Stafford, Sanchez, and Freeman. One of them has to hit, right? We'll use our extra picks to move around and get all of them.

Eh. Anyways. I picked Stafford, Stanton, and another FA Vet QB. I envision the Veteran QB as one of these four: Kyle Boller, Byron Leftwich, JP Losman, and Patrick Ramsey.
Why keep stanton when stafford is the future? Orvlosky has atleast shown he can play and be a decent game manager. Stanton should be traded for a mid to late draft pick (IMO, trade him while he still has some worth). I'd like to see Orvlosky as the starter next year no matter what situation.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:29 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well.. Orlovsky is a Free Agent. We'll have to re-sign him, and I don't know how crazy he'd be about coming back here for another year..

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:35 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Well.. Orlovsky is a Free Agent. We'll have to re-sign him, and I don't know how crazy he'd be about coming back here for another year..
Only way he'd come back is if we gave him comparable money to other teams, and he deems Detroit as his best chance to be a starter.

I don't know that there's another team out there that would give him a better chance to start than Detroit.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:42 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'd probably just take a comfortable back up job for the 49ers or some team on the west coast or maybe near a nice florida beach if i were orlovsky. i'd get as far away from the memories of running out of the endzone and sacking myself for a safety. i'd have to say stafford, stanton, and i'll go culpepper for now but i'm only 50/50 on that one. i agree henson is a practice squader/emergency guy.

it would suck if stanton is finally ready and has a drew brees like season. but then again two qbs would be better than what we had last year.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:29 AM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Funny you mention Josh Freeman ... I saw something yesterday which had Detroit taking him in the 2nd rd with a LT & DT in the 1st. Honestly, I did not see much of him last year but plenty of scouts like him. Is he at all mobile?
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:20 PM    (permalink
sunnyintheD
Rookie

sunnyintheD hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I really don't see us keeping Orlovsky, even if he wanted to come back. Yes Orlovsky has shown he can semi manage a game, but frankly we need someone that Lineham isn't afraid to open up the playbook with. If we don't go Stafford via the draft our QB situation will be Culpepper, Stanton, and FA. There are going to be FA QBs that can do what Orlovsky is capable of or more.
sunnyintheD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:03 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since its "predict" I went with Culpepper, Stanton, Stafford.
With Culpepper they get a veteran (who linehan worked with)
Stanton is still too young for them to completely cut unless Linehan/Schwartz hate the guy.
Stafford will most likely get drafted.

Orlovsky would be the casualty because he isn't veteran enough to rely on and if I'm not mistaken he is in a contract year.

Tough to tell what Schwartz thinks of the current QBs though, other than his Bobby Layne comment. I guess thats a pretty good indication that he thinks at a glance the QB he needs is not in the stable but he might need more time to evaluate who he will keep.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:05 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVEHEART View Post
Thats what you are hoping??? Personally I dont see much hope in any of these selections other than Staffords upside :)
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:09 PM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

bendert58 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVEHEART
Wow, that would be interesting. Thats like a total of 21 games PLAYED, not even started.
bendert58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:13 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Brent, I'd like to keep Orlovsky, but to have him along with Stafford and Daunte would require us to spend like 20% of our cap space on QB's since Stafford's signing bonus will be large and Orlovsky probably wouldn't return to Detroit for cheap (if at all).
Ah, wasnt aware of the cap situation. I guess it's Stanton, Stafford and Henson for you?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:19 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendert58 View Post
Wow, that would be interesting. Thats like a total of 21 games PLAYED, not even started.
Orlovsky is better than anybody we got, and probably anybody we can get. Pepp is garbage, and stanton is not the future. We keep hensen cause he's cheap.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:23 PM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

Quote:
Orlovsky is better than anybody we got, and probably anybody we can get. Pepp is garbage, and stanton is not the future. We keep hensen cause he's cheap.
I agree completely, but its scary to think that we'd be bringing in a rook and basically forcing him to play right away. There hardly is the option to keep him on the bench. I like Orlovsky a lot and I think he has showed that he deserves the job, but I just dont see how we'd be able to justify keeping Stafford on the bench while Orlovsky struggles with a very bad o-line
Old 01-26-2009, 08:27 PM    (permalink
ChefMike
Veteran

ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.

I think keeping Culpepper in the mix is the way to go for your team. Go ahead and draft Stafford but keeping kitna and culpepper in the mix ahead of stafford is only going to help him. Kitna did a great job of grooming Carson Palmer and Culpepper has played around the league long enough to see the light at the end of the tunnel...and he should be seeing his end and not the start to a great new beginning !!
ChefMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:28 PM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

Quote:
I think keeping Culpepper in the mix is the way to go for your team. Go ahead and draft Stafford but keeping kitna and culpepper in the mix ahead of stafford is only going to help him. Kitna did a great job of grooming Carson Palmer and Culpepper has played around the league long enough to see the light at the end of the tunnel...and he should be seeing his end and not the start to a great new beginning !!
Yeah, i dont like Kitna or Culpepper, but i think what you're saying makes a lot of sense.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:32 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendert58 View Post
I agree completely, but its scary to think that we'd be bringing in a rook and basically forcing him to play right away. There hardly is the option to keep him on the bench. I like Orlovsky a lot and I think he has showed that he deserves the job, but I just dont see how we'd be able to justify keeping Stafford on the bench while Orlovsky struggles with a very bad o-line
I don't want to start stafford (atleast not the first year). I feel like Orvlosky deserves the job and will get it. He wasn't great, but the fact that he's playing for the lions made him look OK (IMO), and I'd like to see him continue to develop now having some games under his belt. He has some things to work on, but the fact that this was his first year really playing, makes me want to see what he can do as the starter heading into the season taking starter reps in practice etc...