Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

View Poll Results: What are the Detroit Lions three (3) biggest positional needs?
Quarterback 36 62.07%
Tight End / Wide Receiver 0 0%
Offensive Tackle 28 48.28%
Offensive Guard 27 46.55%
Defensive End 15 25.86%
Defensive Tackle 28 48.28%
Linebacker 21 36.21%
Cornerback 17 29.31%
Safety 1 1.72%
Running Back 1 1.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2009, 08:57 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Lions Three Biggest Needs?

What are the Detroit Lions three (3) biggest positional needs?

Based on the current roster, and relative to other positions, what areas of our team could most use an upgrade.

SELECT ONLY 3
Old 01-25-2009, 08:59 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I went with QB, OG, and in a tough call, I went LB ahead of DT.

Remember, this is taking mostly into account the relative strengths of these positions and our current roster personnel.

I feel like our QB situation is among the very worst in the NFL despite having five different options to choose from. We lack not only a true difference maker, but even a respectable option at the position.

Offensive Guard has long been a problem here. I can't think of the last time we had a good offensive guard. Jeff Hartings? Damien Woody for one season perhaps? We have two gaping holes in the interior of our line. OG trumps OT for now.

And I'll put Linebacker as the third choice, just a little more dire of a need than DT. We at least have a couple young, recently drafted DT's on the roster who have some potential. At LB, we have the disappointing Dizon and the unspectacular Paris Lenon starting. Also very injury prone as a unit.

Last edited by Xiomera : 01-25-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Xiomera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DT trumps LB because without DTs, LBs can't do ****. We could have Spielman back there and it wouldn't matter. Although we do need some LBs and corners. And Dizon is just as proven right now as Fluellen is at DT. Fluellen played DE most of the time in a pinch. And Sims is a better LB than Redding is an undertackle. And based on Schwartz style, DT seems to be more important when you have Tulloch as your Mike Linebacker.

Quarterback though is the number 1 need. Something to build around. QB won't solve the problem by himself but it's a huge step in the right direction.

Guards is third because we need two of them so we can run the damn ball for once. LG is really important. You get a Hutch/Faneca type and it does wonders for your Oline, especially with a Williams Wall/Tommie Harris in the divsion.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:54 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I went with OG LB and DT over QB,

OG I loved Manaram when he came out and I really wanted him to be a Lion but he's a backup and Peterman isn't opening the holes either we need a good OG to give K Smith some room. Edwin was good but he's old and has lost a few steps.

DT is more like NT Redding is serviceable/good when he had big baby by his side and if we could have him back even two plays out of four we might have just taken him. A Raji or a Haynesworth will make Redding better will make Sims better will make whatever ILB we trot out there better will make the DE's better and will make the CB's better.

ILB - Can we really afford to trot Paris Hilton back out there at MLB? the guy probobly wouldn't be a backup for half the teams in the league, Hell I'd take Bustser Davis back over Paris. Is Dizon a player in this league I don't know.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:08 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I went QB, OT and DT. I really believe that drafting a LT and moving Backus to either RT (with Cherilus going to LG) or moving Backus to LG will immediately improve our O-line sunstantially.

We cannot collapse a pocket, which by my logic means that DT supercedes DE. We have the players to provide a decent rush on the edges if we could do more at the middle of the LOS.

QB...it is what it is. I don't know how anyone could say that it isn't one of our three worst positions...
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:54 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Really tough just picking three. I went with QB, OG, and DE. First two are obvious.. but I went with DE over DT.. Mainly because we already have our "Pass Rushing" DT in Redding. We just need a NT.. a big body that can eat up blockers. Dewayne White is solid, and Avril came on strong at the end, but he might only be a situational guy.. If we could get someone that can consistently get after the QB, a sack artist, I think it'd help more than a NT would.

Not saying a NT wouldn't help out a lot, because it would.. but if I had to pick between an All Pro DE or All Pro DT.. I'd take the DE.

Last edited by WMD : 01-25-2009 at 11:02 PM.
WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:09 AM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

bendert58 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
but if I had to pick between an All Pro DE or All Pro DT.. I'd take the DE.
You do ..... Haynesworth or Peppers ..... if only.
bendert58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:08 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IMO, we are so weak everywhere that we can pretty well go BPA and not worry about the position they play as long as we go QB in round 1.
We aren't going to be competitive next year and maybe not even the year after so I say look for the BPA who play primary positions on a football team and don't worry about what positions they play. There is never any guarantee that the position you desire will actually have a matching player where we draft.
We have so many holes to fill that sticking to BPA is the only way to go.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:43 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
IMO, we are so weak everywhere that we can pretty well go BPA and not worry about the position they play as long as we go QB in round 1.
We aren't going to be competitive next year and maybe not even the year after so I say look for the BPA who play primary positions on a football team and don't worry about what positions they play. There is never any guarantee that the position you desire will actually have a matching player where we draft.
We have so many holes to fill that sticking to BPA is the only way to go.

Just answer the damn question! haha

This wasn't meant to be about the draft, or free agency, or anything. Just tell me what our biggest needs are in your estimation.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 AM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I went with OT, DT, LB.

The line needs help on both sides. Getting a solid OT will help the running game and the passing game.

Our run defense was horrible last year. You have to be strong against the run to win in this league, and getting a run stuffing DT is a good start. Not a Tommie Harris type but a big run eater.

The next step is getting a LB who can come up to the line of scrimmage and finish a tackle on a RB.

Living in Chicago, I see more Bears games and I know Urlacher/Briggs look a hell of a lot better when he has a good DT in front of him than he does when the reserve DTs are playing. I really think the Lions defense wouldn't be fixed, but at least greatly improved if they got a good run stopping defenseman and another credible LB to go along with Sims.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:08 AM    (permalink
ferris

i went with linebacker (slb), dt, cb respectively. have to start by building a defense
Aaron Curry, Peria Jerry, Alphonso Smith with the first 3 picks please
Old 01-26-2009, 01:14 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just out of curiousity, when was the last time a LB went #1 overall? Or top 3 for that matter? Could a team really justify using the #1 pick on a LB?? I don't think that I could...
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Calvin & Kevin
Rookie

Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you have to vote positions where we need MORE than one player as higher priority than ones where we only need one.

Therefore I voted OG, CB, LB.

You want to pay Bodden an $8 million bonus? Or come back with Travis Fisher as a starter? We need 2 CB's.

Lenon at MLB? ALex Lewis or Ryan Nece at SLB? 2 LB's.

Finally, thousand year old Mulitalo and Stephen Peterman? 2 guards.

We don't NEED a QB as much as those other positions. Not by a long shot. You guys are playing up our QB need over other positions to justify how much you love love love Stafford.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:31 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No we take Stafford at one because that is the best value. We need a lot, but Stafford at 1 is our best option.

btw nice sig
Old 01-26-2009, 01:35 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noondog View Post
Just out of curiousity, when was the last time a LB went #1 overall? Or top 3 for that matter? Could a team really justify using the #1 pick on a LB?? I don't think that I could...
So my argument to that is: the draft evolves.

If the Lions are cheap (and do I have to qualify that with "if") and if they think Curry is the best or least risky in the draft they could pull what Miami did with Long last year.

- Talk with the two QBs, Smith, Monroe, and Curry.
- Play the card with Curry that "we'll take you at #1 at price $B" Where $A is what one of the QBs or OLs would take and $A>$B.

It would take a creative GM to pull that off (like Parcells did last year), but Mayhew did get 1st rd ++ for Roy Williams last year, so maybe there is hope.

In a lot of cases the unwritten draft rules work (BPA, trade value chart for picks) but the system is not a perfect formula. Just because it hasn't been done in the past doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be done now if they think Curry is the best player.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:42 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jake Long is a LT that was worthy of the #1 pick. I don't see Curry being that.

Wouldn't you agree there is more value taking Stafford at 1 and a OLB later than vise versa? I think our pick at 20 actually helps the argument of taking a QB at 1. If there is a year to take a QB for us at the top of the drafts its this one beacuse of that added pick.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:55 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWnThEfiElD View Post
Jake Long is a LT that was worthy of the #1 pick. I don't see Curry being that.

Wouldn't you agree there is more value taking Stafford at 1 and a OLB later than vise versa? I think our pick at 20 actually helps the argument of taking a QB at 1. If there is a year to take a QB for us at the top of the drafts its this one beacuse of that added pick.
I agree with you on "draft value." If you are going purely off of value on draft day Stafford outweighs Curry. No doubt.

I'm just painting a scenario where the Lions think Stafford doesn't project as a franchise, or they think Curry could be the next Urlacher and have him as the best player available or the best fit for the team. In saying this, I'm ranking "value to the team" vs. "draft value" if that makes any sense. In other words, to 32 teams on average Stafford might be worth more, but on the Lions list, Curry is #1 for what he could provide in their future (future 200 tackle guy? I dunno). Do you think they should be handcuffed to take a QB if they have another player rated higher?

Very unlikely scenario I think, but not impossible. In the real world I see Stafford getting picked.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Kevin View Post
I think you have to vote positions where we need MORE than one player as higher priority than ones where we only need one.

You want to pay Bodden an $8 million bonus? Or come back with Travis Fisher as a starter? We need 2 CB's.

We don't NEED a QB as much as those other positions. Not by a long shot. You guys are playing up our QB need over other positions to justify how much you love love love Stafford.
Yeah, you understand what I was driving at when I made the poll.

Relative to all of our positional needs, LB and OG are huge because we need more than one starter, or at least one and some depth.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:51 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Kevin View Post

Ok, Dan Orlovsky might be a better quarterback than Paris Lenon is a linebacker, but quarterback is a far more important than middle linebacker to the success of a franchise. So you're right, we need the bigger upgrade at linebacker but the more important upgrade is at quarterback.

Aaron Curry does absolutely nothing for this franchise. I'm a big fan of his, but he's not going to be a major step towards future success. There is only so much a linebacker can do for a football team. Same goes for the other two positions. A cornerback like Malcolm Jenkins also won't affect our club in the long run.

A quarterback is easily the most important position on the football field. He touches the football on every single play and the entire offense runs through him. When you are sitting at #1 and there is a guy sitting there that could possibly become a superstar at the most important position on the football field, you don't pass on him for Aaron Curry.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:59 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

There's a reason Linebackers never go #1.

And there's a reason QB's usually go #1.

The Lions are in no position to start experimental drafting methods after an 0-16 season. We need to be conventional and make sound decisions.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol i didn't even think about selecting QB because i thought stafford was already on the team.

anyway, revised it would be qb, guard, dt. QB since i don't see a long term solution on our roster, plus we need a new face for the franchise and elite qbs can single handedly win games and super bowls. Defensive tackle because we desperately have to stop the run in our division and i'd rather do it at the first level of defense. guard because we have too much age there, and i think our tackles and center can be very serviceable if we had a mauler on the inside. it's just too hard to find quality upgrades at LT, most prospects tend to just end up as guards anyway.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I just feel like we can address the Guard position and upgrade the line significantly while using up less money and draft resources. We can get a starting offensive guard in round 2 or 3 no problem. And unlike LT's, there might be a starting caliber OG we could get in free agency.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:36 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

I liked that LT from UConn, anybody know what his deal is?

I just wouldn't mind getting a project LT letting him sit for a year or two while competing with Backus and seeing what happens. I don't want to see us pay a LT a huge amount of money when we are paying Backus and Cherrilus a lot. Even if Backus moves down to guard there is no guarantee he will be good so, I think if we even consider drafting a LT it should be contingent on dumping Backus some how.

Last edited by DoWnThEfiElD : 01-26-2009 at 05:39 PM.
DoWnThEfiElD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWnThEfiElD View Post
I liked that LT from UConn, anybody know what his deal is?

I just wouldn't mind getting a project LT letting him sit for a year or two while competing with Backus and seeing what happens. I don't want to see us pay a LT a huge amount of money when we are paying Backus and Cherrilus a lot. Even if Backus moves down to guard there is no guarantee he will be good so, I think if we even consider drafting a LT it should be contingent on dumping Backus some how.
William Beatty.

And yeah, I would take him at 33. I've been advocating that guy quite a but lately.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:09 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

Could we even trade back into the second and get him later, or is that about where he is projected?