Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

View Poll Results: What are the Detroit Lions three (3) biggest positional needs?
Quarterback 36 62.07%
Tight End / Wide Receiver 0 0%
Offensive Tackle 28 48.28%
Offensive Guard 27 46.55%
Defensive End 15 25.86%
Defensive Tackle 28 48.28%
Linebacker 21 36.21%
Cornerback 17 29.31%
Safety 1 1.72%
Running Back 1 1.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2009, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWnThEfiElD View Post
Could we even trade back into the second and get him later, or is that about where he is projected?
He's late 1st-Early 2nd in my estimation.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:12 PM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

bendert58 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
He's late 1st-Early 2nd in my estimation.
I have him middle second. He didnt look all that good in the senior bowl. The holding was ugly, but what scared me more was how slow off the snap he was, but maybe Im just putting too much stock into just one play.
bendert58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:41 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Just answer the damn question! haha

This wasn't meant to be about the draft, or free agency, or anything. Just tell me what our biggest needs are in your estimation.

Fine, for what it is worth, I'd look for a QB first, a DE, second and an MLB 3rd.
Without a franchise QB we are never going to win a SB, without a great pass rusher, our defense will never scare anybody and our LB's and DB's will have a great deal of difficulty handling any offense. Third, a MLBer who can add real punch to our run defense.
It would be great if we could get them all in this year's draft but I wouldn't reach for any of these positions. We need to stick to BPA as long as they are filling primary needs and are substantially better than the next guy available on our board. By that I mean, if the top 5 guys are separated by an insignificant # and a QB is among them, take the QB, if however the top guy is separated by a substantial margin from the QB who is maybe sitting at #7 or #8, then pass. This is where the great GM's come into play. They aren't swayed by rankings, they have a feel for who will make it and who won't. Flacco didn't have the highest rating last season but the Baltimore GM obviously believed strongly in him and gave up a lot to secure him well ahead of where he was ranked by most teams and that is precisely why Mayhew scares the h-ll out of me. He is such and unknown in the drafting business that I am completely at a loss to say what he will do. Sorry for getting carried away.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:05 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

QB - it's been said before

OG - it's been said before

RB - SHADY!

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:25 AM    (permalink
ferris

The ideology behind drafting a Sam backer is logical if you think about it from the standpoint of affordability and setting the market price for every other team the way Houston did a few years ago. Because linebackers don't get drafted number 1 it makes a LB much more likely to sign at a reasonable price.

And no you can't build a franchise around a LB. The Lions however, need to build a defense before they put a rookie QB out there and ruin his career. Baltimore is a good example of an average qb being put in a position to suceed.

stafford, if u watched him play at all, is the next joey h, alex s, david c. he stands in the pocket too long, and stares down his recievers. sure he makes all the throws, but hes going to bust in detroit.

The Lions need to use their first 3 or more picks to start upgrading the defense. use all that cap space to bring in a couple real free agents instead of trading talent for talent, then maybe next year if they lose enough games they could get the real nfl qb in bradford
Old 01-28-2009, 10:58 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

calvin in undefendable. stafford can lock on to him all he wants. with the experience on our staff, sitting for a year will help stafford a ton. it's the playcalling that has killed us in recent years. we've needed quicker reads and shorter drops the past few years. next year's draft is loaded with system quarterbacks with questionable tools. we have our coaching staff for the next 4 years in place now. we need our qb to start learning our system now.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:08 AM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After reading Gunther's interview on the team's website, I have to believe DL will be addressed within our 1st 3 picks along with free agency. It sounds like that is where he will build the defense which I am very happy to hear. If we can get our front four playing well we will be able to develop talent in the back 7.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:29 AM    (permalink
ferris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
calvin in undefendable. stafford can lock on to him all he wants. with the experience on our staff, sitting for a year will help stafford a ton. it's the playcalling that has killed us in recent years. we've needed quicker reads and shorter drops the past few years. next year's draft is loaded with system quarterbacks with questionable tools. we have our coaching staff for the next 4 years in place now. we need our qb to start learning our system now.
I agree that Calvin is undefendable. He is the centerpiece of the offense, and the only question is why use the first draft pick on a qb, if as you eluded to yourself the playcalling was the only problem.

I just hate to see the Lions draft a qb 1rst overall and have him bust. The probability is there, whereas you draft a Aaron Curry, and as Mayock has said, you plug him in and he plays for 10 years. I think alot of people have the "manlove" issues with stafford, and I hope the Lions don't draft him.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:56 AM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferris View Post
I agree that Calvin is undefendable. He is the centerpiece of the offense, and the only question is why use the first draft pick on a qb, if as you eluded to yourself the playcalling was the only problem.

I just hate to see the Lions draft a qb 1rst overall and have him bust. The probability is there, whereas you draft a Aaron Curry, and as Mayock has said, you plug him in and he plays for 10 years. I think alot of people have the "manlove" issues with stafford, and I hope the Lions don't draft him.
I agree. If we fix our defense then everything else will fall into place.

A lot of people will bash the idea of the Lions taking Curry on this board; get ready for it :). I still don't think its that crazy to take a LB at #1, especially since guys like Scott rate Curry as the #2 overall player. But it does go against the conventional draft wisdom and some unwritten rules. Still I would love to see Curry as a Lion.

Who makes the most tackles on a football team? The MLB. Who steps up to stop the run? The MLB. Who is the general on defense, looking for QB audibles, calling out changes? The MLB. Underrated position on this board.

You don't need to draft a QB #1; there are other ways to get a QB and win.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:59 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i just don't like hearing curry as number 1 over stafford. now if people start saying Raji then i like it more. i'd prefer to trade down a couple of picks in either situation though for value sake. but it's just one of those situations where if you pass on stafford then you'll be haunted for 50 years. especially with the bobby layne thing.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:46 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblain1 View Post
I agree. If we fix our defense then everything else will fall into place.

A lot of people will bash the idea of the Lions taking Curry on this board; get ready for it :). I still don't think its that crazy to take a LB at #1, especially since guys like Scott rate Curry as the #2 overall player. But it does go against the conventional draft wisdom and some unwritten rules. Still I would love to see Curry as a Lion.

Who makes the most tackles on a football team? The MLB. Who steps up to stop the run? The MLB. Who is the general on defense, looking for QB audibles, calling out changes? The MLB. Underrated position on this board.

You don't need to draft a QB #1; there are other ways to get a QB and win.
Who had the second best defense in football this past year, with a 4th Round picks starting for him at MLB? Jim Schwartz. Who's defense created more turnovers than any other, with a 4th Round pick starting at MLB? Jim Schwartz.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:42 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

MLB=Overrated without good DTs...
Old 01-28-2009, 02:30 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
Who had the second best defense in football this past year, with a 4th Round picks starting for him at MLB? Jim Schwartz. Who's defense created more turnovers than any other, with a 4th Round pick starting at MLB? Jim Schwartz.
Ok, If you want to follow the Titans model for offense as well (most yards per game in the NFL), we could draft Stafford, sit him on the bench and sign an aging QB to guide our team's attacking run game and controlled passing attack.

So whos left? Andre Smith? Eugene Moore?
Old 01-28-2009, 03:47 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jim Schwartz didn't coach the Titans offense, he coached their defense.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Old 01-28-2009, 05:18 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

Quote:
Yeah, I understand that and now after being with the Titans for 8(?) years he will be the head man on both sides of the ball in Detroit. I'm sure his years in Tennessee have helped form his opinions on what to do on not only the defense but also the offense.

So your point about the 4th round MLB in Tennessee is that you believe that Schwartz's opinion is that is where this position should be drafted...no earlier?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:25 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblain1 View Post
Yeah, I understand that and now after being with the Titans for 8(?) years he will be the head man on both sides of the ball in Detroit. I'm sure his years in Tennessee have helped form his opinions on what to do on not only the defense but also the offense.

So your point about the 4th round MLB in Tennessee is that you believe that Schwartz's opinion is that is where this position should be drafted...no earlier?
It more shows that it isn't important. He's never had a highly drafted LB and done very well. Ask the Titans fans.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-28-2009, 06:51 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default These needs please

I voted CB, G, LB but am not saying that order is how it shakes out in the draft or free agency based on value.

Free Agents:
Bart Scott LB, Ravens (please come back home to Detroit)
Albert Haynesworth DT, Titans
Brown G, Ravens

CB -This team has not 1 CB that would start on any other team in the NFC North. Alphonso Smith, DJ Moore, Vontae Davis or Darius Butler/Macho Harris would work.

G - I agree, we need a Guard or 2 that are worth a darn. Brown (don't know his first name) from Baltimore looks tough and affordable. As for the draft I love Duke Robinson, Trevor Canfield and AQ Shipley could convert from C just fine.

LB - Aaron Curry, Zack Follett, Jason Phillips, Rey the Mauler, JL, Josh Mauga, Jasper Brinkley ... draft is stacked at ILB's & OLB's imo this year.

As for QB, I know it is not an ideal model, but there are play-off teams that have suspect QB's (look no further than the Vikings!!) who do it with nasty defense and running the football.
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:26 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
As for QB, I know it is not an ideal model, but there are play-off teams that have suspect QB's (look no further than the Vikings!!) who do it with nasty defense and running the football.
Jackson isn't suspect... he is straight up terrible. He is holding that team back.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-28-2009, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Butch Peefington

Every position on defense.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:44 AM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

Quarterback, corner back, defensive tackle. Offensive guard.
Can't pass. Can't stop the pass. Can't run thru the middle. Can't stop the run.

Can't Pass. Solution = Matthew Stafford first round
Can't stop the pass. Solution = Alphonso Smith second round
Can't stop the run. Solution = either Little Animal with #20 or Peria Jerry at #20. Scott Mckillop in the third round would be nice. He can fill, shed, and tackle with the best of them. Plays smart and under control. McKillop seems to always be in the right place at the right time to stuff the run. Add 15-20 more pounds of muscle, he would be a sleeper pick.
Can't open holes to run with. Solution = Eric Wood Center/OG + Louis Vasquez OG
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:47 AM    (permalink
ferris

Curry is a Sam Backer. He would replace Ryan Nece (who was great on special teams) or Alex Lewis (who was good on special teams), but both guys gave up huge huge runs last year because they couldnt tackle in space.

They are saying this is a deep linebacker class, but I don't see the problem with having the best one. Lenon took a bad rap last season from most of the media because simply , his name is Paris. I don't oppose upgrading there, however he did lead the team in tackles last season. It more than anything seems like a waste to have Ernie Sims on the Weak side, and no one to complimant him on the Strong side.

As far as starters next season, and anyone hear can add input here, I see Sims, Lenon, Bullocks, Redding, White, and Avril as the only Legitimate starters. CB is a big concern.

I guess my mind is just set that we need slb, dt, and cb
Old 01-29-2009, 09:21 AM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

asmitty45 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

LT, MLB and DE, in that order.

I think these Qb's could be decent with a living breathing O-Line which is why i put LT as my first need. And with this team its more important to build from the lines out as opposed to bringing in a bunch more skill players

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21
asmitty45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:56 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Beatty is generally being projected at anywhere from late first (the highest that I've seen him is to the Lions at #20) to late second. I saw a bit of him during Senior Bowl practice highlights and honestly wasn't overly impressed. He seems to be off balance quite a bit. Definately don't think that he's good enough to warrant moving Backus inside. I'd rather see Detroit take a monster guard who can maul in the run game than waste one of the first 3 picks on Beatty. Just my opinion.
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:22 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

I'd love Scott McKillop. He won't go higher then the 3rd [if that] but after watching him for years, he just makes a ton of plays. He always finds the ball.

Good job 5 Fingers Of Death, you just found another homer Pitt pick for me to yell about.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08