Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 01-28-2009, 12:46 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 0-16 Casualties (aka the Cuts thread)

We shall use this thread to discuss releases by the Lions...

Mike Furrey has been informed that he won't be back.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...y_out_lio.html

Kind of surprising, I figured we would've at least tried to trade him.. Now we really need a #2 WR, unless we Re-Sign Shaun McDonald.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They couldn't........ they wouldn't........... draft a WR #20. ;)
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:05 PM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

bendert58 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
They couldn't........ they wouldn't........... draft a WR #20.
But how could you pass on Percy Harvin!!! jk. Its sad to see Furrey go. At one point he seemed like the only guy who cared.
bendert58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm going to throw a name out there 3rd round guy (dallas's pick)

Mohamed Massaquoi has a ton of experience with our QB of the future hmmmm

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:26 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When did Orlovsky play with Massaquoi

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:37 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
I'm going to throw a name out there 3rd round guy (dallas's pick)

Mohamed Massaquoi has a ton of experience with our QB of the future hmmmm

I think they need another WR there. Mass really came on this year and i think Stafford has faith in him. He caught some real freakin lasers there at UGA this year.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:05 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Add WR to a list of needs. I see why they are cutting him though. We're saving $1.85 million this season (according to Dave Birkett's blog today).

I hope WR is a position they try and address in free agency. I've always liked Nate Washington in Pittsburgh and I believe he's a UFA that we could get relatively cheap. There will be other guys out there we can get.

I do hope we draft a WR in the later rounds (like the 5th?) that also has KR ability.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:10 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Saving some money so thats good. Basically, Furrey and McDonald are nothing without Mike Martz. 5th round WR and a guy like Bobby Engram for 1-2 year deal in free agency and Keary Colbert with CJ of course would be alright. Assuming Calvin, stays healthy with every wish of luck I can give that he stays healthy. Maybe think about a WR with the second third rounder depending on free agency for guards/LB.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:13 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Calvin and Standeford should be our #1 and #4 WR's next season. We just need to fill the in-between.

I like the notion of signing Engram. But I'd also like a guy who's less of an injury risk. I wonder what the price on Dante Stallworth will be? Devery Henderson? Hank Baskett? At last I knew, they were all set to be FA's . . .
Old 01-28-2009, 04:16 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Devery would be interesting and is less of an injury risk. 2 great speed threats with Calvin and Devery and with a Stafford canon arm, I'd like to see those connections in the second half of the season. Depends on the price tag of Devery though.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I feel like the money we're saving with Furrey being cut, plus McDonald's shed salary means the Lions will actually have the ability to sign one of the better WR's. They can't ignore the position just because they've invested so much here in the past. Not to mention Roy is gone, so in terms of money spent on WR's, we can justify signing a solid starting WR this offseason.

Of all the positions I think we ought to try and upgrade in free agency, WR is toward the top. We need to recognize that our offense lives and dies with Calvin, so he can't be triple teamed due to a lack of talent across from him.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:19 PM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

What about taking a shot on Dillard, Patrick Turner, or Mike Thomas? Then we wouldnt have to blow a top pick but we'd still get some good talent.

Last edited by bendert58 : 01-28-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:22 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
I feel like the money we're saving with Furrey being cut, plus McDonald's shed salary means the Lions will actually have the ability to sign one of the better WR's. They can't ignore the position just because they've invested so much here in the past. Not to mention Roy is gone, so in terms of money spent on WR's, we can justify signing a solid starting WR this offseason.

Of all the positions I think we ought to try and upgrade in free agency, WR is toward the top. We need to recognize that our offense lives and dies with Calvin, so he can't be triple teamed due to a lack of talent across from him.
So are you saying we should sign Hoosh??

Old 01-28-2009, 11:32 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I like the notion of signing Engram. But I'd also like a guy who's less of an injury risk. I wonder what the price on Dante Stallworth will be? Devery Henderson? Hank Baskett? At last I knew, they were all set to be FA's . . .
LOL WUT???
mqtirishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:40 PM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera
Bring us Hank Baskett! Then he can bring Kendra with him too!
Old 01-29-2009, 12:26 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

How about Terrell Owens if the Cowboys cut him?

Uhhh.. yeah

Old 01-29-2009, 12:37 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about Miles Austin we need a return man

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:17 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
How about Terrell Owens if the Cowboys cut him?

Uhhh.. yeah
That'd be sweet.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
So are you saying we should sign Hoosh??
Depends on the price. I am a big fan.

We have like 35 million to spend. It'd be a shame if we didn't use that to bring in a couple playmakers.

I know a lot of people want to be conservative and not go after guys who won't be big contributors for when we've straightened out through the draft and ready to contend, but if we have extra money under the cap, I'm gonna be pissed we didn't use it, even for the short term.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:24 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm fine with signing a big name WR if we got money left over. As Xio said, it'd suck if we let it sit around. No drafting of them though.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-29-2009, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
I'm fine with signing a big name WR if we got money left over. As Xio said, it'd suck if we let it sit around. No drafting of them though.
Yeah, and besides, if the Lions go defense heavy in the draft, we're gonna need an offense that can put up 20-25 points every game to be able to win while the defense develops. As long as we're not signing O-Lineman in their mid-to-late 30's and way past their prime favorites of our coaching staff (coughMarinellicough), we'll be OK.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:15 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Was that 35 mil a guesstimate with the rookies salaries taken out already?

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-29-2009, 02:17 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Salary cap is going to be gone. GO CRAZY

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:39 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendert58 View Post
Bring us Hank Baskett! Then he can bring Kendra with him too!
Only you would think of that.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Add WR to a list of needs. I see why they are cutting him though. We're saving $1.85 million this season (according to Dave Birkett's blog today).

I hope WR is a position they try and address in free agency. I've always liked Nate Washington in Pittsburgh and I believe he's a UFA that we could get relatively cheap. There will be other guys out there we can get.
Quote:
I feel like the money we're saving with Furrey being cut, plus McDonald's shed salary means the Lions will actually have the ability to sign one of the better WR's.
Quote:
Depends on the price. I am a big fan.

We have like 35 million to spend. It'd be a shame if we didn't use that to bring in a couple playmakers.

I know a lot of people want to be conservative and not go after guys who won't be big contributors for when we've straightened out through the draft and ready to contend, but if we have extra money under the cap, I'm gonna be pissed we didn't use it, even for the short term.
Color me confused. If the Lions would otherwise have 33 million, what did they accomplish by cutting Furrey, adding 2 million to that and adding another need to the very long list of Detroit Lions needs? Maybe they're looking to sign a better WR in free agency, but who can the Lions gets with 35 million in cap room that they couldn't get with 33?
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote