Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 02-04-2009, 07:06 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alphonso Smith anyone?

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow they cut Bodden. He was due a lot of money but in the long run it wouldn't have been that bad. Kind of don't agree with this one since we lack talent everywhere. I think a FA target will be corner. Hello Dunta Robinson.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:50 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No way they bring back Culpepper if they cut Bodden. Mayhew is definitely loading up on cap space and is looking to be a player in the free agent market, and honestly if thats the case I think I like it a lot. There are some really good young players hitting the market.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:11 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
No way they bring back Culpepper if they cut Bodden. Mayhew is definitely loading up on cap space and is looking to be a player in the free agent market, and honestly if thats the case I think I like it a lot. There are some really good young players hitting the market.
I probably only like it if it gets us Haynesworth.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 02-04-2009, 08:13 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't want us to use a lot of the money we have available.. I'd rather wait a year or two, when we have more pieces in place through the draft.

WMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:19 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
I don't want us to use a lot of the money we have available.. I'd rather wait a year or two, when we have more pieces in place through the draft.
Well if we can get a good young guy like Jari Evens, or Daunta Robinson or to a lesser extent Haynesworth I'm all for it.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:21 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
I say we take what we can get. If for some reason, a good free agent wants to come here, even if its for money, we have to sign him. None of this waiting around business because
1) what if the free agent class sucks in a couple years or the best free agents are for positions we already have filled
2) a free agent picked up this year will still be here most likely in 2 years if they are young and hopefully good for us the next 4-5 years
3) what if its uncapped in a couple years, then only the big market teams will be signing big name free agents
4) we need talent in the worst way

I think we will be targeting a FA corner and whoever we are targeting was deemed better than Bodden. Or Schwartz/Mayhew don't value the position that highly to spend 8 million on Bodden, who didn't deseve the money any way. Or scenario 3, its a complete rebuild and it will be done slowly through the draft. Most likely a combo of 1 and 3.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:25 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if we cut him and keep culpepper ill be furious. theres a good article on mlive tho talking about how we messed up with bodden. I dont like the move but a 8.5 mil bonus is very big. But with raji moving out of reach at 20 and spikes gone theres a very good chance the BPA at 20 will be a CB so im starting to think Davis may be a good bet right now.

Yet another trade where milllen traded our best player to get nothing in return.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:25 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

God, I just hope they actually use all this space for something.

I don't see how they're gonna possibly spend all this cap space since no one will wanna come here.

I'll be pissed if they have 10 million in cap space left when everyone is signed.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:29 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
I say we take what we can get. If for some reason, a good free agent wants to come here, even if its for money, we have to sign him. None of this waiting around business because
1) what if the free agent class sucks in a couple years or the best free agents are for positions we already have filled
2) a free agent picked up this year will still be here most likely in 2 years if they are young and hopefully good for us the next 4-5 years
3) what if its uncapped in a couple years, then only the big market teams will be signing big name free agents
4) we need talent in the worst way

I think we will be targeting a FA corner and whoever we are targeting was deemed better than Bodden. Or Schwartz/Mayhew don't value the position that highly to spend 8 million on Bodden, who didn't deseve the money any way. Or scenario 3, its a complete rebuild and it will be done slowly through the draft. Most likely a combo of 1 and 3.
I think we are targeting Haynesworth. That would be the only reason to cut Bodden maybe even Haynesworth and a CB. The only reason we cut Bpdden (if MNYM is right on his cap stuff which he generally is) then it is for cap space THIS year there are two very touted FAs this year and we have the cap space to make both of them the highest paid players on defense (long term that would be cap suicide) AND sign all of our rookies

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 02-04-2009, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

If this is for Haynesworth then yes it will be worth it. I won't hold my breath on that one, even though the chances are better with tons of money and Scwartz to get him here. If they deem Dunta better than Bodden, then it'll probably be worth it too. I think Dunta is better than Bodden and younger?. Or they could be going the Courtland Finnegan route and just building through the draft, with scheme and coaching.

And yes they better cut Daunte. He's not worth 5 mil if Bodden isn't worth 10 mil or whatever he was supposed to be paid(8 mil in bonus). Dwight Smith and Mulitalo as well.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:40 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The guy I want is Jordan Gross. I wonder if Carolina even has the cap space to franchise him . . . I know they probably won't tag Peppers. I remember reading that the Panthers are tight on money under the cap, so maybe Gross hits free agency.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:04 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Carolina is only 10.5 million under I believe. Very rough number. Either Peppers or Gross is going to hit the market. Ken Lucas should restructure to save some money. Delhomme might be gone though too and he probably has a big cap number.

Gross woud be nice and Backus is cuttable. I don't think Backus can play guard. But Linehan has said he likes Backus. But who knows at this point and of course its Mayhews decision.

If we go Oline in free agency, I like Jason Brown from Baltimore.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:06 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Where would you want Gross to play then on the line? Isn't he more comfortable at RT?

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 02-04-2009, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
Where would you want Gross to play then on the line? Isn't he more comfortable at RT?
He only played one year at LT which was this year. He did very well though at LT this year.

Here are the rough cap numbers.

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp
Old 02-05-2009, 02:25 AM    (permalink
styles04
Rookie

styles04 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Somewhat upsetting to me since Bodden was our best corner (not worth an $8 million bonus though). What this move does, however, is show me that the front office won't make the same mistakes that Millen made by throwing obscene amounts of money at mediocre talent just because it's our only option. ie Redding, Backus. Something to feel good about I suppose.
styles04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:16 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why don't you restructure his contract? We have pedestrian corners now. We need two starting corners. Where are you going to find them?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-05-2009, 07:43 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Why don't you restructure his contract? We have pedestrian corners now. We need two starting corners. Where are you going to find them?
I think Tom Kowalski's article actually answered that question pretty well.

Marinelli and Co. ****** with Bodden's head. And he's not happy about that in combination with our ******* winless season.

Shaun Rogers for Cliff Avril! ahahahahahahahah WHAT A DEAL!
Old 02-05-2009, 08:34 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
He only played one year at LT which was this year. He did very well though at LT this year.

Here are the rough cap numbers.

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp
So by cutting Bodden and considering that the cap numbers in the link are as of Jan. 23, does Detroit now have $34 mil in cap space?
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:39 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think that it's becoming more and more likely that we target Dunta Robinson in the FA market and possibly draft Vontae Davis with the #20 pick. Those two, in combination with Bullocks and Alexander, would give us a much improved secondary.

With all this talk about going after Foote to play MLB, what about taking a shot at Jonathan Vilma? He'll command more money, but he's a tackling machine and would definitely help our run defence. It would make that much more sense if we can't land Fat Albert. So instead, sign Vilma and try to draft Ron Brace in the third round....we now are improved up the middle quite a bit.
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:46 AM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noondog View Post
I think that it's becoming more and more likely that we target Dunta Robinson in the FA market and possibly draft Vontae Davis with the #20 pick. Those two, in combination with Bullocks and Alexander, would give us a much improved secondary.

With all this talk about going after Foote to play MLB, what about taking a shot at Jonathan Vilma? He'll command more money, but he's a tackling machine and would definitely help our run defence. It would make that much more sense if we can't land Fat Albert. So instead, sign Vilma and try to draft Ron Brace in the third round....we now are improved up the middle quite a bit.
Man, I don't like the idea of taking QB and CB as 1 and 20 picks though. If we do go QB with the first pick (as I would assume is going to happen) I'm hoping to see a lineman on either side of the ball, preferably DL.

For everyone who says a good LB is a product of his defensive line, I would say that two-fold for a corner back. If we don't have a pass rush a 1st round CB is a wasted pick.

I don't think we can depend on FA right now. Too many "what if" scenarios that are out of our control. I'd love to get Foote and Haynesworth but thats dependant them signing here or in Foote's case I believe he has to get traded or cut right? Don't get me wrong, I love the idea but we could easily lose out on both.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:06 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblain1 View Post
Man, I don't like the idea of taking QB and CB as 1 and 20 picks though. If we do go QB with the first pick (as I would assume is going to happen) I'm hoping to see a lineman on either side of the ball, preferably DL.

For everyone who says a good LB is a product of his defensive line, I would say that two-fold for a corner back. If we don't have a pass rush a 1st round CB is a wasted pick.

I don't think we can depend on FA right now. Too many "what if" scenarios that are out of our control. I'd love to get Foote and Haynesworth but thats dependant them signing here or in Foote's case I believe he has to get traded or cut right? Don't get me wrong, I love the idea but we could easily lose out on both.
I've said it before but it really looks like they are positioning us to get three players this off-season. Haynesworth, CB Aso or Daunta, and an OG. Which leaves #2 CB, ILB, OG, QB, SLB, WR. QB CB TE and WR in the first 2 rounds OG ILB (McKillope) leaving only two major holes TE and SLB

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 02-05-2009, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...ent_ranks.html

Apparently the Sporting News put out a list of the top 99 free agents available and no Lions made the list.

I give no credibility to the Sporting News based on their annual laughably idiotic Mock Drafts.

Orlovsky is perhaps the most attractive Free Agent QB out there (Cassel not counted) due to his combination of youth and experience.

Other than that I can see how no other Lions would rank, but I'd argue Shaun McDonald ought to be on the radar of other teams as well.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Bodden and Stanton both were victims of what drove me absolutely nuts about this team and Marinelli. At the beginning of the year Travis Fisher was starting over Bodden? Bodden must have thought what the hell kind of wacky world did he get traded to. Bodden should have been treated with much more respect then he was. Marinelli wanted to let veterans and rookies prove themselves to earn playing time, but he gave the jobs to scrubs in the mean time! Starting Culpepper after signing him a week ago instead of Stanton had been with the team through training camp and in his second season on the team? Are you kidding me? How do you go 0-16 and not give you second year QBOTF a start? What a jokkkkkkkkkeeeeeee. Culpepper is washed up and was washed up, I'm sorry. His signing was always dumbfounded me. Drew Stanton always brought a nice energy when he was in the game. This is kind of off-topic but was bothering me.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-05-2009, 04:23 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Shaun Rogers for Cliff Avril! ahahahahahahahah WHAT A DEAL!
Andre Fluellen.

WMD is online now   Reply With Quote