Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 02-05-2009, 10:15 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My plan to clean up the Lions ...

>>>Keep these 7 on O (Johnson, Smith, Felton, Cherilus, Backus, Raoloa, Gaines?)

>>>Draft Stafford (QB), Trevor Canfield (G), Rey Feinga (G)
>>>FA #2 WR (Nate Washington or Brandon Jones)

>>>Keep these 6 on D (Sims, Avril, Fluellen, Redding, White, Bullocks)

>>>Draft Lauranitus (ILB),Alphonso Smith (CB) Ron Brace (NT) Lydell Sargaent (CB) Brice Mccain (KR)
>>>FA CB (Nnamdi Asomugha or Dunta Robinson)
>>>Acquire OLB Larry Foote (bring him home!!!)

This get's them to 4-12, maybe 6-10 if they get lucky. Good base to build on though ...
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:49 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

aso would propel us instantly into top 10 pass defense. we could play 8 in the box all day. i'd say 9-7 with aso, but there is no way we could possibly get him. i'd trade the entire team for him minus cj.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:03 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
aso would propel us instantly into top 10 pass defense. we could play 8 in the box all day. i'd say 9-7 with aso, but there is no way we could possibly get him. i'd trade the entire team for him minus cj.
Then why weren't the Raiders that good?

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

al davis just had that much of a negative effect, but aso is the man.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 02-07-2009, 11:52 AM    (permalink
Bootland27
Rookie

Bootland27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bootland27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Mulitalo and Campbell are soon to be ex-lions as well
Old 02-07-2009, 06:29 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootland27 View Post
Mulitalo and Campbell are soon to be ex-lions as well
Both good moves to get rid of these guys. Mulitalo saves 2.5 million and Campbell saves 2.1 million.

I wish Campbell could have stayed healthy. He was a good tight end in 2006 and is a good blocker. But 2 years of injury will end it for sure.

We are going to have some serious cap space. I knew this purge was coming though although Bodden suprises me but they must be targeting someone.

Who's next. Dwight Smith.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Please cut Culpepper Mayhew. Please.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:37 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

they say culpepper may not be cut but i think its ridiculous. 5 mil for a terrlbe QB who has no shot to beat out Kitna or DanO. DanO is younger and would be cheaper than 5 mil. We need to cut him.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:50 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

i do like the danO, stanton, stafford qb depth. who knows, maybe danO develops this year when pushed like when drew brees/rivers and derek anderson/quinn. 2-3 year deal front loaded with danO since we have the money. unless culpepper miraculously becomes awesome in the next couple weeks. i'm done with kitna though.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 02-08-2009, 08:33 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i do like the danO, stanton, stafford qb depth. who knows, maybe danO develops this year when pushed like when drew brees/rivers and derek anderson/quinn. 2-3 year deal front loaded with danO since we have the money. unless culpepper miraculously becomes awesome in the next couple weeks. i'm done with kitna though.
Im not a fan of it. If we didnt burn brideges with Kitna, i wouldnt mind him as part of that lineup. What i don't like about orlov, stanton and stafford is twofold:

1) We don't have any vets to show stafford the ropes.
2) Without a vet, there is a really good chance that Stafford would start in year 1, which i think could send him on the road to CARR wrecking his career. How long will our fans let orlovsky flounder (likely scenario) before people call for Stafford and the coaching staff gives in.
3) We have essentially two rookies on the bench: Stanton and Stafford. whats the point of Stanton at that point? He won't have much of a future with Stafford in front of him.

If we cut culpepper and draft stafford, i would still like to see lions get a vet QB to be stop gap. I don't think orlovsky can hold down the fort for a year and i dont think he would help progress the two younger guys.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

orlovsky has enough command of the offense, he'd be the man instead of some washup who knows that he's only going to be in detroit for a year. stanton is useless and might never get it. at best he's a career backup. he missed his chance last year. this is the nfl and he blinked. right now stanton only costs a half million to be a backup which isn't bad, so he can stay and be the backup to danO. if his light comes on too then we'd have 2 young talented qbs as options to trade next offseason.

basically if not danO then it has to be culpepper, i don't want any free agent qb who will only stay a year and then bolt. we have our inhouse options who have been with the team for years and know our offense.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 02-09-2009, 12:45 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
orlovsky has enough command of the offense, he'd be the man instead of some washup who knows that he's only going to be in detroit for a year. stanton is useless and might never get it. at best he's a career backup. he missed his chance last year. this is the nfl and he blinked. right now stanton only costs a half million to be a backup which isn't bad, so he can stay and be the backup to danO. if his light comes on too then we'd have 2 young talented qbs as options to trade next offseason.

basically if not danO then it has to be culpepper, i don't want any free agent qb who will only stay a year and then bolt. we have our inhouse options who have been with the team for years and know our offense.
Hey don't write off the washups. Look at Warner and Kerry Collins. They are older vets who got a chance to compete (or rather got the job when the high draft pick rookie imploded) and did the most with it. Even Kitna before last year was decent. While I wouldnt put him at the Warner/Collins level, he is still the type of player I'm thinking about.

Granted I'm being general and haven't named any QB to fill that role yet. Its too easy for me to say "we need a good but inexpensive, serviceable veteran QB for one year." We'll have to wait and see what the market bears but thats at least what I have in mind. Maybe there is nothing out there and Dan-O would be the best fit, but if that's the case, then I would bet big on seeing Stafford start by week 8 in 2009.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:12 PM    (permalink
TheDoctor8
Rookie

TheDoctor8 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TheDoctor8 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

Didn't we just get a new offensive coordinator??
TheDoctor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:53 PM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get all the argument over who we should start at QB next year. It really doesn't matter, the team is going to be quite awful and won't be anywhere near playoff competition regardless. Put anyone in there for the year as long as they arent a rookie. The worse we do the more it will help the rebuilding effort as the Lions are certainly more than a year away.
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:02 PM    (permalink
TheDoctor8
Rookie

TheDoctor8 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TheDoctor8 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I guess I need to bring up the Falcons. People said it would be years before they would contend again after the Vick saga.
1.They brought in a head coach with no experience (Mike Smith)
2. A former head coach at OC (Mike Mularky)
3. A DC the head coach had worked with (Brian VanGorder)
4. Drafted a QB in the 1st round (Matt Ryan)
5. Made a big name FA signing (Michael Turner)

Looks like Lewand/Mayhew are going down the same path. In todays NFL turn arounds can happen quickly. Please don't say their line was so much better than the Lions, in 2007 they gave up the 7th most sacks. It only takes a few key pieces.
TheDoctor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:11 PM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor8 View Post
I guess I need to bring up the Falcons. People said it would be years before they would contend again after the Vick saga.

Looks like Lewand/Mayhew are going down the same path. In todays NFL turn arounds can happen quickly. Please don't say their line was so much better than the Lions, in 2007 they gave up the 7th most sacks. It only takes a few key pieces.
Yes but they arent the Detroit Lions. They aren't owned by the Fords. They arent relying on decisions from guys who were part of the worst record in football over the last decade. They also got a once in a decade rookie QB performance.
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:17 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Peefs View Post
I don't get all the argument over who we should start at QB next year. It really doesn't matter, the team is going to be quite awful and won't be anywhere near playoff competition regardless. Put anyone in there for the year as long as they arent a rookie. The worse we do the more it will help the rebuilding effort as the Lions are certainly more than a year away.
Coaches and GM's won't say "it doesn't matter." They believe they can create a team to compete next year (and frankly in the NFL, most bad teams can turn it around in one year...probably not this one though as you mentioned).

So Schwartz is going to want to start the best QB he has or... I should rephrase, the one that gives him the best chance to win. He isn't going to say "oh trot out Stanton because it doesn't matter." It does matter to him. He is the coach and he wants to win so he can keep his job.

So my theory is if (or I should say when) they draft stafford, I don't want to see them rush him in the first year. To many high pick QBs have been completely ruined because they are put out in front of the firing squad with no run game or offensive line.

If the Lions get a serviceable QB next year that could potentially start most of the year (not beat the world, but at least control the game) then I think Stafford has a better chance of surviving and not become a wasted pick.

I don't think Orlovsky fits this mold. He is still pretty young himself, he will make mistakes, throw interceptions, fumble and everyone will call for Stafford. I see him getting yanked by at least halfway through the season. It happened with Harrington; it will happen with Stafford. This is mostly why I don't think we should draft Stafford #1 overall and should fix the OL/DL before thinking about getting a sexy QB.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:28 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor8 View Post

Is Kevin Smith = Michael Turner?
Did we trade for John Abraham or any other 16+ sack DE?

Sorry don't mean to poke holes in your optimism. Its a great thought and I hope its true. The lions could conceivably turn it around this year like any other bad club (Falcons, Dolphins last year), but they have a LOT of work to do to get there. I dont think its as easy as "hire this coach" + "Draft best QB" + "Sign FA" = Playoffs.

Matt Ryan worked last year because Michael Turner was able to EXPLODE in nearly every game they won, and the defense kept them close. Our defense has a long way to go and I dont think KSmith can carry the offensive load the same way Burner Turner could.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:03 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's official. The following have been cut:

CB Leigh Bodden
S Dwight Smith
WR Mike Furrey
TE Dan Campbell
G Edwin Mulitalo

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:02 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post

CB Leigh Bodden
S Dwight Smith
WR Mike Furrey
TE Dan Campbell
G Edwin Mulitalo
So does anyone know where that puts our salary cap number now? We must have somewhere around $40 mil in space?
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:55 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

this is probably all moot, they are going to probably just keep culpepper.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 02-09-2009, 10:45 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm so glad we don't have to worry about signing 2002 Tampa Bay Bucs anymore...
Old 02-09-2009, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only way I can see it making sense is if Orlovsky is going to command more then 5 million on the open market.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:52 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post

CB Leigh Bodden
S Dwight Smith
WR Mike Furrey
TE Dan Campbell
G Edwin Mulitalo
sad to see Bodden go... he wasn't all bad. Expensive though...

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:53 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd rather Joey Harrington start here next year for $500,000 to $1 million than Culpepper for his salary.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote