Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 03-05-2007, 09:13 AM    (permalink
NYmoney
Veteran

NYmoney needs more cowbell.
Default Lance Briggs

Looks like Briggs is now formally demanding a trade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2788148

This could play itself out on draft day, or it could be somewhat similar to Jones last offseason.
NYmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:02 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...ead.php?t=2965

Just in case anyone wants to read what's already been said in the NFL forum.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:03 AM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So under the franchise tag, what happens if Briggs plays and gets a career ending injury?
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:24 AM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

KBear hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbear View Post
So under the franchise tag, what happens if Briggs plays and gets a career ending injury?
He gets his 7+ mil, but he might get screwed over during the following offseason.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:48 AM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

I still say the Bears should front load Briggs' salary if they are planning on resigning him. If other teams really are backloading all of these contracts that the fa are getting, the players must know that there is not the best chances that they will see most of that money. So why wouldn't Briggs accept a deal thats front loaded (to clarify let his contract eat up most of our remaining cap space this season). Let him get his money when the Bears can afford to pay him that.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:04 PM    (permalink
evershot
Rookie

evershot hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBear View Post
I still say the Bears should front load Briggs' salary if they are planning on resigning him. If other teams really are backloading all of these contracts that the fa are getting, the players must know that there is not the best chances that they will see most of that money. So why wouldn't Briggs accept a deal thats front loaded (to clarify let his contract eat up most of our remaining cap space this season). Let him get his money when the Bears can afford to pay him that.
I don't know. After going public for his dislike of the Bears organization it would send the wrong message for future signings.

Right now I say trading him is the best option rather than resigning him or even letting him play out this year with the Franchise Tag, because resigning him now will hurt future dealings with other players looking for big pay day and letting him play on a Franchise Tag will cast a bad light on the Bears organization.

The Bears will probably have to settle for a 2nd round pick this year and a conditional pick next year.
evershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:25 PM    (permalink
NYmoney
Veteran

Quote:
You can only frontload a salary to a certain %. I believe that % mark is 8.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:26 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do you think the saints or colts would give up there first? they need a LB, also what about the pats, briggs could play inside there

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:40 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm fine with trading him, but we need to get value. I trust Angelo to not cave in. He never does.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:31 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regoob2 View Post
Do you think the saints or colts would give up there first? they need a LB, also what about the pats, briggs could play inside there
Colts might. Don't think the Pats will though.

And I don't think the Bears will want to re-sign Briggs after the statement about the Bears organisation.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:14 PM    (permalink
NYmoney
Veteran

This very well may be a strategic action by Briggs. He might be sitting at home thinking that he has the most powerful agent, a team with plenty of cap space, a great resume, and great timing. Therefore, he might be just trying to pressure the Bears into signing him long term. You must remember that the Bears and Briggs were in the same ball park before he was franchised. So he might be thinking that if he applies some pressure, then the deal will get done.

I'm not saying his actions are morally justifiable, but there is a level of logic to this train of thought.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:26 PM    (permalink
VoteLynnSwan
All-Pro

VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think there's any way the Patriots would trade a pick for Briggs... although they do have two first rounders... hmm... maybe they would. They just seem like a team that likes to keep their draft picks and develop talent.

Sig by me... Hold the applause.
VoteLynnSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:34 PM    (permalink
evershot
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteLynnSwan View Post
I don't think there's any way the Patriots would trade a pick for Briggs... although they do have two first rounders... hmm... maybe they would. They just seem like a team that likes to keep their draft picks and develop talent.
But they also like having Vet Linebackers to fill their starting spots.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:43 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

There's nothing moral about this. Quite frankly I think Briggs is justified in his statements. He didn't insult anyone on the team or anyone on the coaching staff.

So he doesn't like his boss? Lots of people don't. That's the nature of life. I'm sure that it will have very little effect on contract negotiations quite frankly.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:36 PM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmoney View Post
You can only frontload a salary to a certain %. I believe that % mark is 8.
Its better then nothing. He is to young to really back load his contract then cut later, because he should still be good at that time. Maybe Vasher, Harris, etc.. willt take some back loaded contracts. If there is more money upfront, then he might take a lower $ over the long term vs if the Bears back load the contract.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:37 PM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
There's nothing moral about this. Quite frankly I think Briggs is justified in his statements. He didn't insult anyone on the team or anyone on the coaching staff.

So he doesn't like his boss? Lots of people don't. That's the nature of life. I'm sure that it will have very little effect on contract negotiations quite frankly.
But he did not have to make his statements public.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:40 PM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by regoob2 View Post
I dont think Briggs really fits the LB type the Pats like, and the Colts probably dont have the money to sign him. That would leave the Saints out of the teams you mentioned, and I dont think they would trade for him when they really dont have to give up any assets by just drafting one in the first round.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I got 2 words for Briggs... Shut up!-If you want to be traded, fine. But don't freaking crawl to the media crying like a little baby about the organization.

As long as we get good value, and keep money to resign Harris, Vasher and/or Tillman, Berrian, Ayanbadejo, and maybe a few others (Grossman?), I will be a happy man.

Now the question is... who takes over at WILL?

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I dont think Briggs really fits the LB type the Pats like, and the Colts probably dont have the money to sign him. That would leave the Saints out of the teams you mentioned, and I dont think they would trade for him when they really dont have to give up any assets by just drafting one in the first round.
I think the Giants might... before we tagged Briggs, the Giants GM did say Briggs would be a top priority in free agency.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:25 AM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I think the Giants might... before we tagged Briggs, the Giants GM did say Briggs would be a top priority in free agency.
I'm not sure if the Bears really want to trade him to another NFC team to begin with, would the Giants even give up thier first rounder for him? Or maybe their 2nd and third round picks? I'm not sure.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:30 AM    (permalink
evershot
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I got 2 words for Briggs... Shut up!-If you want to be traded, fine. But don't freaking crawl to the media crying like a little baby about the organization.

As long as we get good value, and keep money to resign Harris, Vasher and/or Tillman, Berrian, Ayanbadejo, and maybe a few others (Grossman?), I will be a happy man.

Now the question is... who takes over at WILL?
Jamar Williams may be a good stand in but he is still untested...but he is a possiblity.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:22 AM    (permalink
gonzo1105
Veteran

gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Supposedly, other people have said this on other boards that the Bears and Bills are in talks for Lance Briggs and that Levy will offer a couple of draft picks and possibly Takeo Spikes for Lance Briggs. It would make sense at least from the Bills stand point because both Jauron and Levy know Briggs very well and it has been leaked that if Briggs were to hit FA that he would have been Levy's # 1 priority.
gonzo1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:23 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo1105 View Post
Supposedly, other people have said this on other boards that the Bears and Bills are in talks for Lance Briggs and that Levy will offer a couple of draft picks and possibly Takeo Spikes for Lance Briggs. It would make sense at least from the Bills stand point because both Jauron and Levy know Briggs very well and it has been leaked that if Briggs were to hit FA that he would have been Levy's # 1 priority.
No offense to Buffalo but I'm sure Takeo would salivate at the possibility of leaving Buffalo and playing next to Urlacher.

I'm not sure I buy it though, although the fact that Fewell is their DC probably doesn't hurt. As does Levy's general affinity for current Bears players.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:19 AM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo1105 View Post
This is one of the more realistic trade possibilities considering we have a history with trading with Buffalo, the Bills coaching staff are all familiar with Briggs, and theyre trying to emulate our defensive system. Also we wouldnt have to play the Bills for another three years just like with Thomas Jones on the Jets. Levy also has no problem trading away draft picks to get someone he values highly for his system.

Spikes is injury proned and I dont know if he fits our system well (SLB maybe), so I would think the meat and potatoes of the deal would have to be the picks. At least I would hope so.
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:25 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

just wondering...

say the bears somehow get a late first rounder in a trade for briggs(a pick higher than theirs maybe the saints? idk)...which I don't think will happen...but if they do, do you think there's any chance of them then trading up using their 2 late 1st round picks? or is it more likely they use one(probably the earlier one) and then trade down with the other? just a thought...

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote