Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 01-30-2009, 06:31 PM    (permalink
ShoeLB50
Rookie

ShoeLB50 needs more cowbell.
Default My Plan to Save The Lions

Free Agency - I dont think we have a legit shot at pulling Haynesworth out of Tenn and I think all of the "I wanna get paid" talk is mostly just posturing on his part. We probably wont get much of a shot at the elite players on the market like Peppers or Gross but I think the guy we absolutally have to get is Bart Scott. We have a shot at getting this guy given his ties to the city of Detroit and he would be a guy you could build a defense around. He is a leader and is just waiting to bust out of his mentor Ray Lewis shadow. All the rest of the guys are hard nose football players and a majority of them have ties through the coaching staff or state of Michigan. Larry Foote is looking to get out of Pitt before he loses his starting job and has been reported as saying he wanted to finish out his career in the D so offer the Steelers one of our comp picks this year and get the guy.

FA/Trade Defense - Bart Scott LB, Gabe Watson DT, Larry Foote LB, Ronald Bartell CB/S, Chris Carr CB, Jim Leonhard S - Offense Derrick Ward RB, Nate Washington WR, Brandon Jones WR, Richie Incognito C/G, Byron Leftwich QB

I dont see us going QB at 1 anymore with Linehan coming in and having close ties to both Culpepper and Stanton so its now pretty much down to a LT if we cant trade out. I think that Monroe is the cant miss guy here but ill settle for Oher if thats the choice...

Draft (Option 2)

1A LT - Eugene Monroe (Michael Oher)

1B CB - Vontae Davis (Alphonso Smith)

2 G - Duke Robinson (Andy Levitre Max Unger)

3A TE Shawn Nelson (Travis Beckum)

3B LB Zack Follett (Jason Phillips)

5 WR - Austin Collie (DT Dorell Scott)

6A DT - Sammie Lee Hill (WR Jeremy Childs)

6B RB Kory Sheets (Devin Moore Marlon Lucky)

7 QB Cullen Harper (Curtis Painter)

53 Deep Roster

QB Culpepper, Stanton, (Leftwich/Harper)

RB Smith Ward, Sheets

FB Norris - Felton

WR Calvin, Jones, Standeford

WR Washington, Collie, Colbert

TE Nelson Gaines, Fitz

LT Monroe, (Backus)

LG Backus, Mulitalo

C Raiola, Incognito

RG Robinson, Ramirez

RT Cherilus, Foster

LDE Devries, IAF

LDT Watson, Lee Hill

RDT Redding , Fluellen

RDE White Avril, Smith

SLB Foote, Follett

MLB Scott, Dizon, Lenon

WLB Sims, Lewis

CB Davis - Carr, Smith

SS Bullocks, Blue

FS Alexander, Leonhard

CB Bodden - Bartell

K Hanson

P Harris

Now thats a offensive line and running game you can hang your hat on! Not to mention check out that improved defense... you can be aggressive when you got a wide variety of guys out of wich you shuld be able to find a few that can cover. Linebackers are vastly improved and both starters that were brought in have expereince with aggressive blitzing teams.

Future Lions?
1 - Eugene Monroe T
1 - Vontae Davis CB
2 - Duke Robinson G
3 - Shawn Nelson TE
3 - Zack Follett LB
FA - Bart Scott LB
ShoeLB50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:16 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I think the team will look at the offseason one of 3 ways, load up on O, load up on D, or try to get a good mix of both O and D.

Imagine this scenario (very unlikely but just dream):

FA: sign Fat Albert for about 12.5/yr on a 5 yr deal and 35 guaranteed. This would make him the gihest paid D player on a yearly avg. and his ties to the new staff could help entice him. Then sign Stacy Andrews to play OG. Sign Duckett if he gets released. Sign Crowder to play SLB. Re-sign Paris for depth at LB. Sign either Dan O or Ryan Fitzpatrick. Sign Bobby Engram, and sign Bartell.

Draft: At #1 trade down to 3 or 4 and get an extra 2nd and draft Raji. At #20 package with extra 2nd to move up to 10 ish and draft Orakpo or Brown. With #33 draft James Lauranitis. At #65 draft Darius Butler. At #85 draft Andy Levitre. That'd really beef up our D and solidfy our running game to help out the D. In the 5th -7th rounds try to get a TE, WR, and another CB.

Our Starting Lineup would look like:

DE: Avril/Devries
DT: Raji/Redding/Cohen
DT: Haynesworth/Fluellen
DE: Brown/White
SLB: Crowder/Lenon/Lewis
MLB: Lauranitis/Lenon
WLB: Sims/Dizon
CB: Bartell/Bodden/Rookie
FS: Alexander/Smith
SS: Bullocks
CB: Butler/Smith/Fisher

QB: C-Pep/Orlovsky/Stanton
RB: K. Smith/Duckett/Cason
FB: Felton
WR: C. Johnson/Standeford
TE: Gaines/Rookie
LT: Backus
LG: S. Andrews
C: Raiola
RG: Levitre
RT Cherilus
WR: Engram/Rookie

Last edited by woodnick : 01-31-2009 at 01:01 AM.
woodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:34 AM    (permalink
casskid
Rookie

casskid hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

^^^^
what other way would there be? just not sign or draft anyone?
casskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:43 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Two questions about this mock offseason.

1. If the Lions are going to sign that many defensive free agents who play in the 3-4, should they consider a switch to that particular scheme?

2. How much do you think the Lions are going to pay Derrick Ward? If they pay him a lot and then put him second on the depth chart, thats kind of a waste. But if they don't pay him a lot, he could just resign with the Giants.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:55 AM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Signing Bartell would be a terrible a move, he's worth too much money for a team that is this far from completing.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:00 AM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by casskid View Post
^^^^
what other way would there be? just not sign or draft anyone?
stay on our current path?
Old 01-31-2009, 01:14 AM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan View Post
Signing Bartell would be a terrible a move, he's worth too much money for a team that is this far from completing.
Well, my thinking was that if we could pull off this very unlikely offseason, we'd be pretty close to competing in an open NFC north. Once a team gets to the playoffs then anything can happen.

With this D, people wouldnt be able to run on us and would struggle being able to set their feet in the pocket to try to throw the ball. Our new DTs would be able to collapse a pocket very quickly and put Avril and Orakpo/Brown in very favorable positions to succeed in the pass rush. With the ability of our front 4 to cause havoc in the opponents backfield, our D should be able to create turnovers and help out our O.

On O, as long as we could establish a strong run game and our QB just tries to limit turnovers, then we should be in a position to win some games. With a better OLine and more consistency at QB, both K. Smith and CJesus should be beasts next yr.

With next yrs. schedule, if we are agressive in FA and hit on our picks in the draft, 6-9 wins isnt completely out of the question, yes I know that is very positive thinking but it is not out of the realm of possibility with the cap space and draft picks that we have going forward.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:17 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Raji AND Haynesworth? Woah.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:42 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Linehan coming in won't affect what Detroit is going to do with the #1 pick. I mean, when Schwarz was introduced as the HC and made the comment about looking to find a replacement for Bobby Lane, the writing was on the wall right there imo. I don't think that Schwarz makes that comment unless he already has info from Mayhew and Lewand that the Lions were likely going QB with the first pick...otherwise why would he make that comment? One of the first things to come out of his mouth during his introduction will blow up in his face? No way. It was a pre-meditated comment.

In addition to this and despite the fact that Detroit has a brutal D, the team gives up WAY too many sacks. That HAS to be addressed. Like I've said before, by increasing TOP the defense becomes inherently better for no other reason then they're on the field less. It's a very simple concept. Thus, beef up the O-line.

The D will be addressed with the bulk of the picks starting at #33, as well as in free agency. I think that the Lions pitch Haynesworth for sure and I'd give them a 50/50 shot at getting him considering the cap room they have as well as the fact that he has ties to Schwarz. Mayhew, Lewand and Schwarz will sell him on the idea imo. I also think Detroit makes a run at Dunta Robinson (who fills a big need) and Karlos Dansby or Channing Crowder. Past that, I like the idea of trading a compensatory pick for Foote. I think it works for the Lions, Steelers and Foote.

So having said all that, here's my offseason mock:

Draft

1A Matthew Stafford
1B Duke Robinson
2 Alphonso Smith
3A Ron Brace
3B Herman Johnson (worth a shot if he's available...high risk, high reward)

Free Agents/Trades

Haynesworth
Foote
Robinson
Dansby
Engram
I like the Incognito signing that Shoe mentioned

2009 roster

QB C-Pep/Stafford/Stanton
RB K Smith/Cason/Rookie
FB Felton
WR C Johnson/Standeford
TE Gaines/Rookie
LT Backus/Foster
LG Duke Robinson/Incognito
C Raiola/Incognito
RG Mulitalo/Herman Johnson
RT Cherilus/Foster
WR Engram/Colbert

LE White/Devries
DT Haynesworth/Brace
DT Redding/Cody (re-signed cheap)
RE Avril/Devries
WLB Sims/Dizon
MLB Foote/Lenon
SLB Dansby/Lewis
CB Bodden/A Smith
FS Alexander/Smith
SS Bullocks
CB Robinson/Kei Smith/Fisher

Predictions for 2009 Season

Stafford could possibly start out of the gates if he has a great camp and the coaching staff feels that he will be adequately protected...huge carries for K Smith either way in 2009.

Detroit finishes with 6-9 record

Calvin, Kevin and Dunta make Pro Bowl
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:05 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
Raji AND Haynesworth? Woah.
Thats my point, imagine those guys as the foundation of our D. It'd completly free up the DEs and LBs to roam basically untoached.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the original poster is overrating Scott. I think he is a average LB w/ a lot of intensity. He will help you guys out but I think he will be a Ed Hartwell, meaning he has good # in baltimore then leaves for big $ and isn't heard from since.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:04 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some of these are painfully unrealistic.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:29 PM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

I get a sick feeling in my stomach when i see mocks with any mention of Stanton or Culpepper as our quarterback. Don't you know quarterback is the most important position on the field? If you build from then inside out, then isn't quarterback the most inside position of the line?

I want to get a pepto from the fridge when i remember how Culpepper threw the easy pick from the Titans game on Thanksgiving day where he threw into the defenders hand near the goal line for the easy TD.

:55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9y-axNqB0M

I feel dizzy when i remember how Stanton looked look a deer in headlights when he saw all the blitz coming.

Don't you think that Stanton and Culpepper are our the quarterback of the future? Don't you just want to get a good QB since we've never had one?

How can you bring back these retread player when you have 3 possible franchise quarterback in this draft?

Matthew Stafford
9:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm5j2x2gT7s
Mark Sanchez
Josh Freeman.

Last edited by 5 Fingers of Death : 01-31-2009 at 11:34 PM.
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:09 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Two questions about this mock offseason.

1. If the Lions are going to sign that many defensive free agents who play in the 3-4, should they consider a switch to that particular scheme?

2. How much do you think the Lions are going to pay Derrick Ward? If they pay him a lot and then put him second on the depth chart, thats kind of a waste. But if they don't pay him a lot, he could just resign with the Giants.
Face it, it is just a fan's dream world and has little reality, He's all over the place with signing FA's who don't play the defense we are in and he hasn't considered that most FA's like to come to a team that offers them a real shot to be a starter and avoid teams that want them to play second string.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:13 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Some of these are painfully unrealistic.
I agree, it is almost painful to read them and realize they have no chance of happening.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:38 AM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

So everybody wants a realistic offseason? I was doing some thinking on what I think could be realistic in occuring, so here I go:

FA: * for all FAs we'll probably have to slightly overypay for them.
Ronald Bartell, CB, 26, Rams-Would probably come here because we can afford to pay him, he's from Detroit, and there's a former connection with Linehan our new OC and his former HC.

Chris Carr, CB, 25, Titans-Would probably come here because of familiarity with our new HC Schwartz, we'd be able to afford to pay him. Additionally, he'll help out in the return game

Richie Incognito, OG, 25, Rams-Would come here because of familiarity with Lineham, his former HC. We'd have the money to pay him and he'd be the leading canidate to start at RG.

Adrian Jones, OG, 27, Chiefs-Would come here to compete for a starting job at G and knows Cunningham from the past couple seasons in KC, though they didnt work together directly. Would give us depth at OG/OT.

Dan Orlovsky, QB, 25, Lions-Would re-sign with us because of the chance to compete for the starting QB job.

Nate Washington, WR, 25, Steelers-Would come here because he is from nearby Toledo and would have a legit shot at a starting spot next to one of the premier WRs.

Gabe Watson, DT, 25, Cardinals-Another chance for a local kid to come back home for a chance to make good for his childhood team. We could also offer a chance to start and to work within a system that produced Haynesworth (not to imply that they are in the same class because they are not).

Paris Lenon, LB, 31, Lions-Bring him back to play SLB and depth in the middle.

Stephen Petermen, OG, 27, Lions-Comes back with a chance to compete for a starting job at G in a new power running type of O, which should play to his strength.

Draft:
#1-Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia-Brings a face to the franchise and gives hope for the future. IMO, this will also solidify the 3 deep at QB, with C-Pep being cut early on before his bonus.

#20-Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC-IMO, this is a very difficult selection to predict at this point in time and I really dont see any of the top DEs falling this far or V. Davis or Oher, so that leaves Maualanga. Maualanga was kind of underwhelming in the senior bowl practices and his production has been inconsistent over the yrs at USC. Overall, I think the Lions will go BPA at this point which could lead them to Duke but with the Lions saying they they will stay in a ZBS running game I think they might question Duke's ability to play that quick so the edge will go to Maualanga even though Schwartz has proved that his D doesn't necessarily need a stud at MLB.

#33-Alex Mack, C/OG, Cal- At the senior bowl Mack was the best interior lineman and showed the ability to play G. This might upset a few people, but IMO Mack is the perfect specimen to play G in a ZBS because he has great technique and the quick feet/strength to lock onto a defender.

#65-Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee- Ayers flashed the ability to rush the passer and at this point may be the BPA. This pick could also end up as a CB, S, TE if the right guys falls to them. Additionally, if Shonn Greene falls here the Lions might be tempted in finding a running mate for KS, after all the our new HC's former team the Titins have drafted a RB on the first day for 3 straight years and that seemed to help them a lot this past yr.

#85-Domonique Johnson, CB, Jackson St.-Lions continue to revamp the D with a guy that can play CB and FS. Guys got great measurables to go with his talent. Once again this pick could end up on a TE, RB, WR or just about any position. Hopefully it'll be BPA at this point.

Well, that was about as realistically optimistic as I can get. Granted we might need some help to land Bartlett, Carr, Incognito, and Watson that help will probably come in the form of connections with our coaches, connections with the are and/or money. Through FA I feel like I shored up some areas with some guys that should plug holes and play roles in the building of the team. Most of the guys that I brought in are young and should be able to contribute in 3-5 yrs which should be about the time our ship has been righted(hopefully).

Draft wise I wouldn't it mind too much, but I'm the last person holding out hope for Stanton and would rather not pick Stafford #1, but thats a different argument. Anyways, let the criticism start and let me here what ya think.

Last edited by woodnick : 02-02-2009 at 12:44 AM.
woodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:45 PM    (permalink
ShoeLB50
Rookie

ShoeLB50 needs more cowbell.

My plan in no way is really unrealistic... maybe I do have high expectations for Bart Scott but then again I value his leadership and attitude more than anything. When your an NFL team and you lose 16 games its usually more than a talent problem. All the players that would be brought in have ties to the city or team so its not that crazy. I dont think we have a shot at any big name guys such as Haynesworth so I didnt include them although id like to have them here. I also didnt reach for players in the draft, IMHO this is just a realistic good offseason. As far as bringing in Ward why wouldnt he come here if we paid him market value? Teams need 2 good RB's these days and I think Smith wouldnt have a very long career carrying the ball 30 times a game anyways. Ward probably would feel like hed see the ball more times than sharing the carries with Jacobs and Brandshaw.

"God only put one pair of feet like that on a human being."
- Fritz Shurmur, Defensive Coordinator, Green Bay Packers
ShoeLB50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:54 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnick View Post
So everybody wants a realistic offseason? I was doing some thinking on what I think could be realistic in occuring, so here I go:

FA: * for all FAs we'll probably have to slightly overypay for them.
Ronald Bartell, CB, 26, Rams-Would probably come here because we can afford to pay him, he's from Detroit, and there's a former connection with Linehan our new OC and his former HC.

Chris Carr, CB, 25, Titans-Would probably come here because of familiarity with our new HC Schwartz, we'd be able to afford to pay him. Additionally, he'll help out in the return game

Richie Incognito, OG, 25, Rams-Would come here because of familiarity with Lineham, his former HC. We'd have the money to pay him and he'd be the leading canidate to start at RG.

Adrian Jones, OG, 27, Chiefs-Would come here to compete for a starting job at G and knows Cunningham from the past couple seasons in KC, though they didnt work together directly. Would give us depth at OG/OT.

Dan Orlovsky, QB, 25, Lions-Would re-sign with us because of the chance to compete for the starting QB job.

Nate Washington, WR, 25, Steelers-Would come here because he is from nearby Toledo and would have a legit shot at a starting spot next to one of the premier WRs.

Gabe Watson, DT, 25, Cardinals-Another chance for a local kid to come back home for a chance to make good for his childhood team. We could also offer a chance to start and to work within a system that produced Haynesworth (not to imply that they are in the same class because they are not).

Paris Lenon, LB, 31, Lions-Bring him back to play SLB and depth in the middle.

Stephen Petermen, OG, 27, Lions-Comes back with a chance to compete for a starting job at G in a new power running type of O, which should play to his strength.

Draft:
#1-Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia-Brings a face to the franchise and gives hope for the future. IMO, this will also solidify the 3 deep at QB, with C-Pep being cut early on before his bonus.

#20-Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC-IMO, this is a very difficult selection to predict at this point in time and I really dont see any of the top DEs falling this far or V. Davis or Oher, so that leaves Maualanga. Maualanga was kind of underwhelming in the senior bowl practices and his production has been inconsistent over the yrs at USC. Overall, I think the Lions will go BPA at this point which could lead them to Duke but with the Lions saying they they will stay in a ZBS running game I think they might question Duke's ability to play that quick so the edge will go to Maualanga even though Schwartz has proved that his D doesn't necessarily need a stud at MLB.

#33-Alex Mack, C/OG, Cal- At the senior bowl Mack was the best interior lineman and showed the ability to play G. This might upset a few people, but IMO Mack is the perfect specimen to play G in a ZBS because he has great technique and the quick feet/strength to lock onto a defender.

#65-Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee- Ayers flashed the ability to rush the passer and at this point may be the BPA. This pick could also end up as a CB, S, TE if the right guys falls to them. Additionally, if Shonn Greene falls here the Lions might be tempted in finding a running mate for KS, after all the our new HC's former team the Titins have drafted a RB on the first day for 3 straight years and that seemed to help them a lot this past yr.

#85-Domonique Johnson, CB, Jackson St.-Lions continue to revamp the D with a guy that can play CB and FS. Guys got great measurables to go with his talent. Once again this pick could end up on a TE, RB, WR or just about any position. Hopefully it'll be BPA at this point.

Well, that was about as realistically optimistic as I can get. Granted we might need some help to land Bartlett, Carr, Incognito, and Watson that help will probably come in the form of connections with our coaches, connections with the are and/or money. Through FA I feel like I shored up some areas with some guys that should plug holes and play roles in the building of the team. Most of the guys that I brought in are young and should be able to contribute in 3-5 yrs which should be about the time our ship has been righted(hopefully).

Draft wise I wouldn't it mind too much, but I'm the last person holding out hope for Stanton and would rather not pick Stafford #1, but thats a different argument. Anyways, let the criticism start and let me here what ya think.

I love that you brought in young guys who could develop with the team but I think ties with our coaches likely won't be a plus. Linehan was terrible as a HC so why would his players feel like following him. It isn't likely to be of much help. Then there is the ties to our community. Unfortunately it is a 2 edged sword as it would also include the knowledge of how bad a team we currently are.
Signing players from winning teams is a tough call. How many players would like to go from a contender to play for the laughing stock of the NFL. Not too many IMO. I do think you time frame is about right but I think any success in FA will only come after Detroit establishes that they are going in the right direction maybe a year or 2 from now, then players will want to come to Detroit to be a part of a team on the way up. Right now, I think only paying a FA ridiculous amounts of money will get a FA to come here and most likely these FA 's won't be interested or put out to be a champion.
I think we would be better served to put off signing a lot of FA's until we are looking more like a place worth signing on to. Then we we'll look like a franchise that can attract the right type of FA personnel.
I watched Cleveland rebuild from a disaster like ours after the Butch Davis era and their GM Savage really didn't go after much in the way of FA's in year 1 concentrating on young totally unproven players who he believed had talent and would play hard because they still had a lot to prove so they could move into a better pay range. In year 2, he pretty well followed the same route and they improved immensely to a 10 -6 record. Then in year 3, he went whole hog and brought in expensive FA's to fill in around the core of young players he had developed and these types of FA's were willing to go to Cleveland because they saw a chance to be part of a winning team.
The toughest schedule in the NFL unfortunately side railed them and cost Savage his job but I think his plan had real merit but his owner had zero patience. He left Cleveland in a pretty strong position to become a serious playoff contender for years to come.

You can forget about any hope for Stanton. Look who drafted him and where he was drafted??? Round 2 QB picks have about a 6% chance at success if you examine the last 15 drafts and when you add in that Matt Millen wanted Stanton I'd say that equates to a zero chance he is anything. You'd have to be pretty unrealistic to think Stanton has any kind of a shot especially since the coaching staff didn't think enough of him to give him any kind of shot during an 0-16 season.

Finally there is the draft. I only wish we could get a draft like that but again realistically Maualuga is extremely doubtful to be there at #20, I'd only give Mack about a 50 % chance of being around after round 1. Hard to judge yet where the others are projected to go.

Hope I wasn't too harsh in my criticism,
Old 02-02-2009, 04:30 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I watched Cleveland rebuild from a disaster like ours after the Butch Davis era and their GM Savage really didn't go after much in the way of FA's in year 1 concentrating on young totally unproven players who he believed had talent and would play hard because they still had a lot to prove so they could move into a better pay range. In year 2, he pretty well followed the same route and they improved immensely to a 10 -6 record. Then in year 3, he went whole hog and brought in expensive FA's to fill in around the core of young players he had developed and these types of FA's were willing to go to Cleveland because they saw a chance to be part of a winning team.
The toughest schedule in the NFL unfortunately side railed them and cost Savage his job but I think his plan had real merit but his owner had zero patience. He left Cleveland in a pretty strong position to become a serious playoff contender for years to come.

Thats not entirely correct on Savage. Savage started in 2005 not 2006. Did nothing in free agency and finished 6-10 in 2005. Then in 2006, he went crazy in free agency and gave big contracts to LeCharles Bentley,Kevin Shaffer and Willie McGinest(Romeo guy). They got worse and went to 4-12(bad QB play from Charlie Frye and DA barely played and was average at best). 2007 they went back into free agency with Steinbach(which paid off) and Jamal Lewis which paid off. Plus they drafted Joe Thomas and their QB Derek Anderson had one heck of a year(althought that was a one year wonder). 2008, Savage continue but not with free agency but trades giving up important draft picks and also gave up a pick for Brady Quinn in the prior draft. Derek Anderson fizzled, Quinn looked promising but got hurt and then QB play suffered. Cleveland got better from QB play and better Oline and also differences in the schedule in 2007. Plus Baltimore had a down year in 2007 which greatly affects Cleveland.

Savage got fired because Derek Anderson was only a flash in the pan and he gave up too many draft picks with worse results. It all stems back to QB play for Cleveland with mediocre to poor defenses.

Detroit has the money and the schedule but we shouldn't go the Cleveland route and 0-16 is a little different than a 6-10 finish but not much different than a 4-12 team when they got Steinbach. We could get one big free agent. As long as their talented and fit what Schwartz or Schwartz/Linehan want, then at least try and get one. A Jason Brown or Karlos Dansby or Dunta Robinson makes us a better team no matter what. Well better in theory at least.

Last edited by Maybe Next Year Millen2 : 02-02-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:41 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First off im not sure why we all want Cpep. He has a huge bonus coming his way and he's not worth the money. Cut him and resign DanO, he's younger and will be cheaper and he is better IMO.

Second off we will not be able to sign or even afford 6 new D starters thru FA and we should build thru FA IMO. We should focus on 2-3 guys that are young and who we could build around.

FA: -Foote (gives leadership, winning attitude, and a hometown face)

-Watson (i like this idea a big NT, he has ability but motor is questionable but id take a shot on him he's young and has upside)

- a CB (carr, bartell, robinson) all young all with upside and could have some interest in playing here since we would over pay.

On offense i think its important to get a WR and possibly an OG. WR job would attract soem guys with the ability to play next to CJ as the #2 WR.

OG we could get a Veteran or a younger guy but someone who can actually play OG since ours suck.

Draft:
1a. Stafford
1b. Maybin
2a. Duke Robinson (poor showing in NC may make him fall here)
3a. Brace
3b. Coye Francis

DE- Avril
DT- Redding
DT- watson
DE- Maybin

SLB- Lenon and Dizon battle
MLB- Foote
WLB- Sims

CB- Bodden
SS- Bullocks
FS- Alexander
CB- Robinson/Carr/Bartell

I think this is a pretty solid Defense. Much better vs. the run with 2 young and skilled CBs.

A good defense will also help our offense. Plus with 2 new OGs our oline will help DanO or Stafford get the ball to CJ and allow Smith to run
Old 02-02-2009, 04:45 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski View Post
Get the hell outta here!
Old 02-02-2009, 04:54 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's with the picture? I don't get it.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:57 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I refuse to listen to anything that doesn't have the Lions taking Stafford.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I refuse to listen to anything that doesn't have the Lions taking Stafford.
Terry Foster on 97.1 FM claimed he had inside sources indicating that Sanchez is our favored pick at this point . . .

No idea where he'd get a credible source for that info though.

All I'll say is that we better get one of those two QB's or I will automatically label this draft a failure.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:07 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Smokescreen....