Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:07 AM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.
Default Jonathan Ogden Where Does He Rank?

I was just wondering where does he rank? I believe he is a top 5 LT of all time.
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:36 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Top 5 of the last 10 years along with Jones, Pace, Roaf and Boselli. Not of all time imo.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:25 AM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Top 5 of the last 10 years along with Jones, Pace, Roaf and Boselli. Not of all time imo.
I'd take Ogden over all of those guys. He was dominant longer than Pace now that Pace is... getting to be an injury casualty on a consistent basis. Jones hasn't been at the top for his entire career, while Boselli gets the short end of the stick for injuries and the longevity strike. Roaf gets marks for longevity and dominance, so I'd honestly put Ogden and Roaf 1 and 2 in terms of their careers, followed by Pace, then Boselli and rounded out by Jones.

We got spoiled with some incredible linemen over the past decade, hopefully all this youth coming in from last year and again this year churns out some monsters like those guys.
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:13 AM    (permalink
tony77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Populi View Post
I'd take Ogden over all of those guys. He was dominant longer than Pace now that Pace is... getting to be an injury casualty on a consistent basis. Jones hasn't been at the top for his entire career, while Boselli gets the short end of the stick for injuries and the longevity strike. Roaf gets marks for longevity and dominance, so I'd honestly put Ogden and Roaf 1 and 2 in terms of their careers, followed by Pace, then Boselli and rounded out by Jones.

We got spoiled with some incredible linemen over the past decade, hopefully all this youth coming in from last year and again this year churns out some monsters like those guys.
I would also take Ogden over all of those guys...easily.

If I am ranking all-time left tackles...

1. Anthony Munoz
2. Ron Yary
3. Art Shell (We forget how awesome he was as player; the opposite of his coaching ability)
4. Jonathan Ogden
5. Ron Mix

Now, left tackle really evolved into something special. There were plenty of really great right tackles, but with the evolution of the passing game (meaning more passes being thrown over time), protecting the blind side of your franchise player became so important. All of a sudden the left tackle position became extremely valuable, and guys who did this job well got paid accordingly.

Jon Ogden was the first guy to get the cash and paved the way for guys like Jones, Pace, and Roaf to really cash in. Hell, the guy gave Vinny Testaverde the opportunity to throw for 4400 yards and 33 TDs on a bad Baltimore team in 1996 (Ogden's rookie season).
Old 01-31-2009, 09:14 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's behind Munoz and Roaf only IMO.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:17 AM    (permalink
tony77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
He's behind Munoz and Roaf only IMO.
I have Roaf #6 FWIW.

Ogden: 11 Pro Bowls, 4 1st-team All-Pro
Roaf: 11 Pro Bowls, 3 1st-team All-Pro
Old 01-31-2009, 09:25 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I admit that I might be biased, having watched a whole lot more Roaf than any of the other all time greats, but he just never seemed to make mistakes and was dominant in all facets.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:45 AM    (permalink
tony77

I am a big Roaf fan myself. I did include some of the guys from the '60s and '70s on the Top 5, so that's what knocked him down some.

But if we are looking at the "New Left Tackle", which I still believed began with Ogden, I put Roaf right after him.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:40 AM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:36 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ogden is a top 5-8 all time LT for sure. Top 2 of the last 10-15 years with Roaf ahead of him.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:02 PM    (permalink
tony77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post

I didn't forget about Dierdorf. When he switched from left to right, he made all of his Pro Bowls, which also coincided with the emergence of Conrad Dobler at RG.

And I need to edit my original list, because Yary and Mix were on the right, too, not the left.

That makes my list now look like this:

1. Munoz
2. Shell
3. Ogden
4. Roaf
5. Joe Jacoby

My mistake guys...sorry about that.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:08 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would say he is Top 8 all time. I give a lot more credit to modern OT's because of the type of pass rushers that left tackles have to deal with, especially in a 3-4 defense. It's so hard to compare modern day player like Ogden, Jones, Pace and Roaf to players of an era where offensive lineman had to block with their fists together on teams that did not pass nearly as much. When comparing players from different generations at the same position, OL is the hardest to evaluate.

Last edited by TACKLE : 01-31-2009 at 01:54 PM.
TACKLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:38 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would say for sure top 10 and I would not fight you if you said top 5.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:52 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

arguably a top 5 sure fire top 10.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:29 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2. Everyone Else.

Ogden was so dominating that it wasnt even fair.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Nitschke-Hawk
Pro Bowler

Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.

I don't know but I remember Roaf in his last couple years still owning. The Chiefs ran that sweep play to the left side with LJ and it was money everytime.

Bosanac01
Nitschke-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

It's safe to say we all have Munoz as our numero uno, but it seems anyone after that is a big debate.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Surpassing Munoz as the #1 All-Time LT is something we wont see for a long time.

That said, I think Ogden is top 5.

1. Munoz
after that you can really just organize them as you feel.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:45 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This era:

1. Willie Roaf
2. Orlando Pace
3. Walter Jones
4. Jonathan Ogden
5. Tarik Glenn?

I've always found Ogden overrated, especially for at least the last 5 years when he was a shadow of his former self and didn't deserve any Pro Bowl selection. A complete joke that was, other than now saying a player Jonathan Odgen'ed his way to Honolulu this year.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:18 PM    (permalink
JonasBlane
Rookie

JonasBlane hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JonasBlane hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think Roy Williamsing your way to Honolulu would be a more appropriate expression. Ogden was still dominant until probably his final 2 seasons.
JonasBlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:02 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Roy Williams was a combination of not enough good safeties in the league and name recognition

Ogden was just recognition

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:52 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony77 View Post
Jon Ogden was the first guy to get the cash and paved the way for guys like Jones, Pace, and Roaf to really cash in. Hell, the guy gave Vinny Testaverde the opportunity to throw for 4400 yards and 33 TDs on a bad Baltimore team in 1996 (Ogden's rookie season).
didnt Ogden play LG his rookie year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Burger
Rookie

Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I say the best left tackles in the modern age
1) Roaf/Odgen
2) Pace
3) Jones
4) Boselli
5) Clifton
Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:17 PM    (permalink
tony77

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
didnt Ogden play LG his rookie year?
As a matter of fact...yes!

It doesn't change my opinion though.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:09 AM    (permalink
bam bam
Veteran

bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Most who say he lost a step the last two years only recall that one game against Indy where Dwight Freeney beat him a few times. But the fact of the matter is that even with his turf toe the last two years he was still a monster.
bam bam is offline   Reply With Quote