Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 02-01-2009, 01:43 AM    (permalink
gdamac
Veteran

gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.
Default Offseason question

Hello Vikes fans. I was hoping you guys could give me some feedback. I am GM-ing the Vikes in a mock draft and I was thinking of this off season plan...

Trade the 86th overall pick to BAL for Troy Smith.
Smith maybe similar to Jackson, but i think he is better if in no other way in his leadership. I think he would be more consistent and with Peterson the Vikes don't need a super star at QB. It seems to me that a 3rd year QB like Smith for your 3rd is a much better value than a rookie project like Freeman with your 2nd.

Then Target a good Tampa 2 CB in the 1st and Loadholt in the 2nd.

I was considering signing DeAngelo Hall who is a FA in this mock. I know he had a tough time in Oakland, but I think his skill set would work well in Tampa 2. But the price tag will likely be high. But, it would allow me to maybe target a WR in the 1st then Loadholt or best RT available. Or a OT in the 1st, WR in the 2nd.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Last edited by gdamac : 02-01-2009 at 01:46 AM.
gdamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:16 AM    (permalink
Burger
Rookie

Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You are an Idiot if you do the Troy Smith trade. I would say care of the SS need, if there isnt a SS in the first round. Take Mr. Freeman, he'll do alot better than Smith. They need a RT so Loadholt would be perfect for the Perkins offense.
Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:13 AM    (permalink
gdamac
Veteran

gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger View Post
You are an Idiot if you do the Troy Smith trade. I would say care of the SS need, if there isnt a SS in the first round. Take Mr. Freeman, he'll do alot better than Smith. They need a RT so Loadholt would be perfect for the Perkins offense.
Gee, why don't you tell me how you really feel. I thought Minnesotans were supposed to be nice! I'm not sold on Freeman, Smith would be more reliable.

Last edited by gdamac : 02-01-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:56 AM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdamac View Post
Gee, why don't you tell me how you really feel. I thought Minnesotans were supposed to be nice! I'm not sold on Freeman, Smith would be more reliable.
Id take Tarvaris over those two. It would be a terrible trade.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:28 PM    (permalink
russie
Veteran

russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dynasty View Post
Id take Tarvaris over those two. It would be a terrible trade.
me too. why the hell would we want a fat worthless project qb like freeman? why would we want a munchkin that will never be able to see over the 6'8" mount mckinnie?
Old 02-01-2009, 12:36 PM    (permalink
jimmylishis
Rookie

jimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I agree the smith trade and freeman pick would be stupid. I say pick unger in the first and the best available cover 2 corner in the second.
jimmylishis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:00 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You need to start with the LT position. McKinnie would probably be fine on the right side, so draft a LT and move him to the right and resign Birk and the OL will be solid enough. Certainly need a guy who can actually block speed rushers on the left side though before I would worry about QB.

That is the most glaring need on offense. QB could certainly be better, I actually like Garcia for a couple of years and a project guy in the 4th or 5th, only problem would be whether Garcia's lack of arm strength might hinder Berrian's effectiveness given that just about all he does is catch deep balls. If you can somehow keep Rice healthy that would also be a big step in the right direction.

Defense is where the majority of the flaws are. We need a 2nd DE that can actually get some pressure. We need an OLB to put opposite Greenway and the MLB position is also up in the air, though if he can come back healthy EJ and Nap is a fine combo for me.

Safety however is the biggest problem position. Sharper was done 3 years ago, the guy is actually better in run support than he is in coverage, which is scary given that he isnt all that good against the run. All he does now is ball hawk looking for picks, consistently blowing coverage and honestly, if you can't work out your job in a Tampa 2 at safety, what hope is there?

CB is not such a need imo, not immediately. I really liked McCauley last year, but this year he seemed to get stuck in the doghouse. Griffin can be solid though again, he really seemed to struggle this year, Winfield should have another couple of years in him.

I think the obvious first pick is at LT, it is a deep draft and there should be a talented player left, safety doesn't look as good, CB is another spot to consider. WR would seem the obvious 2nd round choice. I think QB falls in the 3rd or the 4th, but no name really sticks out which makes it hard, if Birk is gone we may have to target one of the top Cs in the 2nd round, hopefully one of them will be available, either will be the answer for the next decade.

Vikings are just so close and yet so far from the superbowl. Coaching might be the best spot to start but Childress obviously has a good PI with some good dirt on Zygi...

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:01 AM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont like the trade because we need a proven vetern QB like Garcia. Troy Smith is still unproven and we have JDB for development. As for our first round pick, I like Alphonso Smith, he would give us better depth, and eventaully repalce Cedric Griffin. Also he could help our return game. If he is gone I like Max Unger also, for his versatility on the O line. Im pretty sure resigning Birk isnt going to happen here.
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:52 AM    (permalink
the_legend_killer
Pro Bowler

the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That Troy Smith trade would make me punt kittens. Also, D-Hall is not a Cover-2 CB, so he wouldn't fit the scheme at all.
the_legend_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:06 AM    (permalink
gdamac
Veteran

thanks for the info Vikes fans, for your info I did not go through with the ever popular Smith trade, I guess I am too much of a Buckeye homer. I did draft Mark Sanchez in the first, Smith was gone. I signed Von Hutchins to a friendly deal and still have my 2nd and 3rd round picks to go.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.

Id rather you trade Chester Taylor for a 2 and third and gain draft picks rather then trade them away the guy is 29 anyway and he fumbles more then AD if thats possible
Kid_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:09 PM    (permalink
gdamac
Veteran

Here's what I ended up doing...

1(16) QB Mark Sanchez USC
Traded up to take Sanchez as the QB of the future. My thoughts are if his intangibles and leadership can over come his lack of experience he can start right away and just manage the offense focused around Peterson, much in the way Flacco managed the Ravens. In real life, probably wouldn't have traded up, but the mock was getting boring.

2(54) WR Kenny Britt Rut.
Was targeting OT Loadholt, but missed out and since Britt was just sitting there and Sydney Rice has not developed yet I figured we'd grab the kid from Rutgers. He's supposed to be a prima donna, but nothing like a Minnesota winter to humble a guy. Plus, you come into Minnesota as a rookie and you know it is Peterson's team.

4(118) OT Gerald Cadogan Penn St.
Cadogan is a great value at this slot, he could compete at RT right away. He is raw but has upside, top notch intangibles, and is versatile.

7(204) CB/KR Ladarius Webb Nicholls State
Lightning fast CB & kick returner who can take it to the house on kickoffs and punt returns. He can play CB too, he picked off 7 passes in the last two seasons, in a cover two he may be a big play maker.

7(214) DT Will Johnson Michigan
Big, strong DT who can add depth. Dude put up 47 reps at his pro day! Daaaaaayyyyuuum! Jake Long put up 42, can you imagine the weight these two were throwing around Michigan's weight room? Too bad it couldn't help them beat my Buckeyes!

Draft Review:
QB & WR were not my biggest needs, but as Sanchez slipped down the board, I saw an opportunity and took it.

Sanchez, Britt and Peterson could form a potent offense.

With the later 3 picks I feel like I got great value at positions of need. May have even got a future starter at RT and K/PR.

I also signed Von Hutchins and Phillip Buchanan for good contracts (with in the rules of the mock)

Maybe not the best, but I managed two teams and had fun, so whatever. Thanks for the input everyone

Old 04-09-2009, 11:40 PM    (permalink
hagy34
Veteran

hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would love Sanchez and Britt. Probably not going to happen though. It's fun to dream though....
hagy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:53 AM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.

When Tavaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels are your qb's Pat White Cant Possibly hurt you seriously Booty did nothing to even still hold a roster spot. Tyler Thigpen should still be on this team and most likely would be a serious threat to start. Neither of these guys are bulletproof answers.
Kid_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:49 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kiper's latest mock :

1 Britt
2 Unger
3 Duke Robinson
Old 04-10-2009, 02:22 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Kiper's latest mock :

1 Britt
2 Unger
3 Duke Robinson
Depending on if Duke Robinson can play RT, I would be satisfied with that draft. Also thanks because I was wondering what the 3 picks were for the vikings.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:19 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Kiper's latest mock :

1 Britt
2 Unger
3 Duke Robinson
I'd be quite happy if that is how the draft played out, I'd hope that we'd take a CB and a true RT, but I can't complain about that.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.
marshallb is offline   Reply With Quote