Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 03-05-2007, 10:40 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default QB 08

So, I was wondering, since we most likely will not be taking a QB this year, at least not one we could justify starting, who's out there next year who we could draft to solve the QB situation.

let's be positive and say we are picking somewhere between 10 and 20.

I have no clue, so i'm not even going to drop a name.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:41 AM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think it'll be Stanton or Orlovsky.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:47 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticaLion View Post
I think it'll be Stanton or Orlovsky.
can't draft them in '08 ;).

Maybe Brohm? Or that kid from USC, Booty (don't know if he's any good, but I just love his last name).

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 03-05-2007, 11:14 AM    (permalink
jbombul
Rookie

jbombul hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.jbombul hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

what about colt brennan?
jbombul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:17 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbombul View Post
what about colt brennan?
oooh I forgot about him. Good point. He'd be awesome in Martz' system. I was actually rooting for him to be taken by us in the second this year, until he decided to go back to school.

Isn't he gonna be relatively old for a rookie? (24?)

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 03-05-2007, 12:22 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

I thought "QB 08" was asking who our starter would be in 2008. I still dont think we'll draft one next year, but things always change.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:35 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I thought "QB 08" was asking who our starter would be in 2008. I still dont think we'll draft one next year, but things always change.
Well... it doens't look like we'll be taking Quinn this year, so unless we take stanton (which would have to be in round two) we'll be needing one next year. You can't seriously think Kitna will be able to lead this offense for two more years, can you?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 03-05-2007, 12:54 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
Well... it doens't look like we'll be taking Quinn this year, so unless we take stanton (which would have to be in round two) we'll be needing one next year. You can't seriously think Kitna will be able to lead this offense for two more years, can you?
Nah, not Kitna. But, I honestly think that McCown and Orlovsky will be left to fight for the top spot when Kitna is gone (if Stanton is drafted, he'll be in the competition).

Drafting a QB high in round 1, to me, means a different direction... and I think Marinelli isn't ready to change directions just yet.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:58 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Nah, not Kitna. But, I honestly think that McCown and Orlovsky will be left to fight for the top spot when Kitna is gone (if Stanton is drafted, he'll be in the competition).

Drafting a QB high in round 1, to me, means a different direction... and I think Marinelli isn't ready to change directions just yet.
I don't like McCown. Don't know why. Just don't like him AT ALL.

I'd like them to draft Stanton SO MUCH. Trade with I don't care who and somehow get an extra day two pick. Get Stanton and some corner guy and I'll be a very happy person.

And a friggin' linebacker. We need one who can actually play. I mean do we even have one not named Boss Bailey?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 03-05-2007, 02:28 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't like McCown. Don't know why. Just don't like him AT ALL.

I'd like them to draft Stanton SO MUCH. Trade with I don't care who and somehow get an extra day two pick. Get Stanton and some corner guy and I'll be a very happy person.

And a friggin' linebacker. We need one who can actually play. I mean do we even have one not named Boss Bailey?
Willis-Sims would turn things around for that unit.

Which is why I want Willis.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Willis-Sims would turn things around for that unit.

Which is why I want Willis.
Darn I forgot to mention Sims. <sigh>

Yeah. Willis would be great. On the other hand, we've got a big hole to fill with Bly being gone (not that bly did much good, but... it's still a vacancy)

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 03-05-2007, 02:33 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Any 2nd or 3rd round player that fits the Cover 2 will perform better than Bly did last year...

... and won't complain half as much as Bly does.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:39 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Any 2nd or 3rd round player that fits the Cover 2 will perform better than Bly did last year...

... and won't complain half as much as Bly does.
We could also put a mannquin on a little moving platform and have a guy in the endzone jerk the platform around. That'd be a perfect copy of Bly.

And let me tell you, those mannequins have intangibles you won't believe. Give them no money and they won't even say a word.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 03-05-2007, 03:22 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you guys aren't taking Quinn then who the crap are you taking? You guys gonna take Joe Thomas and have 3 starting offensive tackles
Old 03-05-2007, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
If you guys aren't taking Quinn then who the crap are you taking? You guys gonna take Joe Thomas and have 3 starting offensive tackles
Gaines Adams? Trade down for Willis? There's plenty of guys out there we could really use.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 03-05-2007, 03:32 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
As Addict said... Gaines Adams (who would fit the Cover 2 perfectly), Patrick Willis (who will dominate and fill a huge need) and even LaRon Landry... a fast, playmaking safety.

There are a lot of options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict
We could also put a mannquin on a little moving platform and have a guy in the endzone jerk the platform around. That'd be a perfect copy of Bly.

And let me tell you, those mannequins have intangibles you won't believe. Give them no money and they won't even say a word.
Wait... but mannquin's don't mis-read the play and get completely out of position for the majority of the game. What WOULD our defense do?
Old 03-05-2007, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Wait... but mannquin's don't mis-read the play and get completely out of position for the majority of the game. What WOULD our defense do?
I don't know. All I know is that they'd do whole lot better in pass defense. Oh but I do know our run defense would suffer. All the linebackers would be too stunned by the pass defenders not messing up and would be unable to make a play.

You do realize that Ford Field would have to cool down significantly for this, otherwise our defensive backs would... melt.

Wow. Fight Club is on tv!
I'm outta here!

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 03-05-2007, 03:40 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't know. All I know is that they'd do whole lot better in pass defense. Oh but I do know our run defense would suffer. All the linebackers would be too stunned by the pass defenders not messing up and would be unable to make a play.

You do realize that Ford Field would have to cool down significantly for this, otherwise our defensive backs would... melt.

Wow. Fight Club is on tv!
I'm outta here!
Haha... good ****, and great movie.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:58 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Trade downs are very hard to do in the top 5 unless you got somebody who really wants a trade and is willing to give up a lot of picks including future first rounders to do it. Assuming Detroit doesn't trade down (I personally don't think they will) who will they take? 2nd overall is definitely too high for Adams and Landry, and Willis probably won't even go in the top 20 based on what the insiders are saying.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:10 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Trade downs are very hard to do in the top 5 unless you got somebody who really wants a trade and is willing to give up a lot of picks including future first rounders to do it. Assuming Detroit doesn't trade down (I personally don't think they will) who will they take? 2nd overall is definitely too high for Adams and Landry, and Willis probably won't even go in the top 20 based on what the insiders are saying.
You're missing it.

Marinelli doesn't seem to care what the "insiders" say. If he wants a specific player, he'll take that player. #2 is NOT too high for Adams OR Landry... if Marinelli wants them for the team.

He takes who he wants... he doesn't take the popular pick. (See: Sims).
Old 03-05-2007, 07:47 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Quote:
#2 is NOT too high for Adams OR Landry.
I've been following drafts for a long time. I don't think a safety has gone that high in the modern era. Landry would be a reach at 5 or 6 even. Don't be misinformed about Gaines Adams, because even though he might go as high as five he's no where near the elite kind of prospect who will go top 3. Adams would be a drastic reach at #2 and the Lions would get no where near the full value of that pick if they pulled another maneuver like that.

Even Millen won't pass on Quinn, Thomas, or Johnson for Gaines Adams. If you're under the impression that Adams will go #2 overall this year you are gravely mistaken.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:06 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I've been following drafts for a long time. I don't think a safety has gone that high in the modern era. Landry would be a reach at 5 or 6 even. Don't be misinformed about Gaines Adams, because even though he might go as high as five he's no where near the elite kind of prospect who will go top 3. Adams would be a drastic reach at #2 and the Lions would get no where near the full value of that pick if they pulled another maneuver like that.

Even Millen won't pass on Quinn, Thomas, or Johnson for Gaines Adams. If you're under the impression that Adams will go #2 overall this year you are gravely mistaken.
Incorrect. They do not feel the OLine is that big of an issue, and feel that they've "improved" it with Foster, who can play OG or OT. They will NOT draft a WR in round 1, and, if they choose a QB, they'll choose Stanton in round 2. With Bell on the roster and Duckett visiting, they also wont consider Peterson. Which leaves us with two players that they've focused on:

Patrick Willis or Gaines Adams.

I can also see Marinelli drafting Landry, as our safety position could use an upgrade, but he'd take those two players first.

The Lions WILL not draft a position that they don't feel they "need" because a player is there. They will not do that.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:45 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

I hate to break it to you but Quinn grades out considerably higher than Adams and Landry both by a lot. Willis is not an option unless Detroit trades down to around 15th overall or so at the highest. If they stay at #2 they will Definitely take either Thomas or Quinn.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:51 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My biased pick would be for Dan-O to be starting in 08. He would have been learning the Martz system for two years. My other prediction is that we will sign Marc Bulger.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:55 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I hate to break it to you but Quinn grades out considerably higher than Adams and Landry both by a lot. Willis is not an option unless Detroit trades down to around 15th overall or so at the highest. If they stay at #2 they will Definitely take either Thomas or Quinn.
They'll take Willis at #8 overall, champ. And, I don't know how many times I have to say it, it doesn't matter how much higher one player "grades" out over another. Leinart "graded" out a LOT higher than Sims, but Marinelli wanted Sims instead.

If the coaches feel that Adams can dominate, they'll take him at #2. If they can trade down, Willis becomes the pick. Do NOT respond with "but Quinn/Peterson/CJ/Thomas are rated as better players..." because the argument doesn't work with Marinelli.