Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Bucs_Rule
Veteran

Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msolimani View Post
I think what you'll see the Eagles do this offseason is try and make one final shot with Mcnabb, Dawkins, and the rest of the crew. They still have a good young defense, so the focus has to be on the offensive side of the ball with Tra Thomas and Jon Runyan aging and free agents. They have to get a big physical wr because desean is a very explosive player but a deep threat at best right now. They have the most amount of draft picks this year so they have to get a weapon at either the rb or te/wr postion. I guarantee you if they address the lack of weapons they will make a run(as much as i hate to admit it).
Their biggest problem is short yardage and goaline offense. Until they fix it, it will be very hard to win a SuperBowl. Getting a big reciever for the redzone is a good way to improve that and a better goaline back. They don't have to be that good of all-round players so it can definitly be achievable. With their big line it is surprising that they aren't better.

Mcnab shouldn't get in atm, he's been very good, but not good enough for a HOF.
Bucs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:54 PM    (permalink
tony77

Quote:
If his career ended today, he's in. He wouldn't be a 1st ballot hall of famer but he is in. There have not been many QB's to come into the league with that amount of consistency for an entire decade. Look at some of his receivers(If you can call them that) that he's had to work with:Freddie(Fred X) Mitchell, Todd Pinkston, Greg Lewis(How is he in the NFL?), James Thrash, Chad Lewis, Kevin Curtis, etc, etc.

It's an absolute joke that the Eagles don't realize that for the past 9 years or so they've been a legitimate WR away from potentially winning a super bowl. The one time they went out and got him one(T.O.) they made a great run together but things didn't work out. So what do they do, go out and draft/sign a bunch of #3 wr's Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis, and Desean jackson. If he doesn't make the H.O.F. the eagles are directly to blame.

So true...he has had to carry this team for a decade and is doing as good a job as anyone can. He has had not one reliable receiver in his tenure (aside from one season of well-behaved Owens). Hell, he had to lean on Brent F'n Celek in the NFC Title game!

I HATE the Eagles more than any team, but if this guy can keep putting up numbers, he gets in. If he eventually goes to a team like Minnesota or Chicago, which is a QB away from making lots of noise, that will likely define his legacy. Win a title, and you are in. Fail somewhere else and you are not. If his career ended today, he is the ultimate borderline candidate.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:02 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ha...good one.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:05 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Couldn't agree more, and I'd actually like to see him go somewhere like Minnesota, Chicago, or even the J-E-T-S!!! That way I can root for him and the Eagles and their ungrateful fans can see what they had, and what they're stuck with(Kolb).
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:07 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think what you'll see the Eagles do this offseason is try and make one final shot with Mcnabb, Dawkins, and the rest of the crew. They still have a good young defense, so the focus has to be on the offensive side of the ball with Tra Thomas and Jon Runyan aging and free agents. They have to get a big physical wr because desean is a very explosive player but a deep threat at best right now. They have the most amount of draft picks this year so they have to get a weapon at either the rb or te/wr postion. I guarantee you if they address the lack of weapons they will make a run(as much as i hate to admit it).
Brent Celek was their most reliable receiving threat in the playoffs with 19 catches. What does that say? I think they should draft the best value at LT on the board and if there isnt any then Moreno/Wells and grab Pettigrew if hes still available. I cant see them adding another WR honestly, atleast early. Maybe a possesion guy in the later rounds. Someone like Aaron Kelly from Clemson.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:11 PM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No way. (10 characters)
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:18 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Thanks for your deep insight and factual assistance steelersfan. Why don't you just enjoy the 2nd super bowl handcrafted for you by the NFL referees.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:57 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No. Definitely Not.

McNabb was never an elite player at his position. There were always a couple QB's who were better than him. He was a very good player for a long time but he is not one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game the football and that's what it should take to get in the Hall.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:11 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
No. Definitely Not.

McNabb was never an elite player at his position. There were always a couple QB's who were better than him. He was a very good player for a long time but he is not one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game the football and that's what it should take to get in the Hall.
Who were the guys that were always better than him in his career, thus far? Remember, his career is not over.

Tom Brady? HOFer
Peyton Manning? HOFer
Brett Favre? HOFer

Am I missing others that were consistently better year in and year out?

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 PM    (permalink
Rayray52
Veteran

Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.

............fail
Rayray52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:10 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I'm sorry but Jimmy Johnson has carried the eagles not Donovan McNabb. The Eagles have consistently had great defenses and elite olines throughout his tenure, sure he never had a stud WR, but he had a great defense covering his ass, an elite oline keeping his jersey clean and they've always ran the ball well, even when they stopped running the ball.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:34 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Who were the guys that were always better than him in his career, thus far? Remember, his career is not over.

Tom Brady? HOFer
Peyton Manning? HOFer
Brett Favre? HOFer

Am I missing others that were consistently better year in and year out?
I know by putting consistently in there your trying to take Kurt Warner and Drew Brees out of the picture but not starting QB has been more consistently injured than McNabb. He hasn't finished 4 season because of injury. Don't forget, Kevin Kolb was picked to be the successor for a quarterback who is injury-prone and inconsistent. Don't forget, McNabb was benched this year.

Phil Simms should be in the Hall ahead of McNabb. Simms has around 3000 more yards, 5 more TD's and a Super Bowl MVP. Now I'm not saying Phil Simms is a HOFer, but neither is McNabb. I'm not saying McNabb isn't a good QB. Donovan is a very good QB who has lead his team to great playoff successes, he's just not an elite QB in the history of the NFL. I see a guy like Cris Carter not get into the Hall on his first two times and it really makes me question how someone like Donovan McNabb would get in.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:36 PM    (permalink
BuddyCHRIST
Veteran

BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I say yes, especially considering some of the other people that are in. He's been one of the best QB's in the league for a long time and has never had a ton of help around him. I'm not a huge fan but he's gotten a bad deal his whole career from the fans, media and the way the organization supported him. But also he's been the face of one of the most consistent franchises of the new millenium and has been as much of a face of the league as any player since 2000. Now all that shouldn't reall matter, but it does and having him out of the HOF would kind of neglecting a very important portion of the NFL during this time period.

I can understand why alot of people say no, but the HOF is already a little watered down as it is. And i think he will definitely get in eventually. Regardless if he wins a superbowl.
BuddyCHRIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:38 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Right now, he's basically John Elway before the last two seasons of his career. Except Donovan is better statistically, he just isn't loved by the media like John is.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:54 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyCHRIST View Post
I say yes, especially considering some of the other people that are in. He's been one of the best QB's in the league for a long time and has never had a ton of help around him. I'm not a huge fan but he's gotten a bad deal his whole career from the fans, media and the way the organization supported him. But also he's been the face of one of the most consistent franchises of the new millenium and has been as much of a face of the league as any player since 2000. Now all that shouldn't reall matter, but it does and having him out of the HOF would kind of neglecting a very important portion of the NFL during this time period.

I can understand why alot of people say no, but the HOF is already a little watered down as it is. And i think he will definitely get in eventually. Regardless if he wins a superbowl.
Exactly, which means watering it down further should be prevented. We have to be careful not to get too awed the stats that quarterbacks and receivers are putting up in the new era.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:23 AM    (permalink
Rayray52
Veteran

Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
Right now, he's basically John Elway before the last two seasons of his career. Except Donovan is better statistically, he just isn't loved by the media like John is.
Thats because Elway had all 5 of his best stastical seasons after he turned 33, he also had nowhere near the supporting cast for much of his career on both sides of the ball so that comparison is a complete joke. If Mcnabb wins 2 super bowls and gets a super bowl MVP then yes hell make the hall......lol at the elway comparison
Rayray52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:44 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Past QB's get so protected it's ridiculous. Before he got on stacked teams, Elway was a guy with mediocre stats that couldn't win the big one, but all of that is forgotten now.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:46 AM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Elwayz was even goddlier than cutlerz, so let's please not compare Donovan to Elway.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:47 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Nuh uh, Cutler has a stronger arm, ask him.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:52 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Past QB's get so protected it's ridiculous. Before he got on stacked teams, Elway was a guy with mediocre stats that couldn't win the big one, but all of that is forgotten now.
Or you could say that he was the only reason that Denver was relevant and competitive in the 80s and 90s and had a dumbass of a head coach who couldn't get out of his own way (Dan Reeves).
Old 02-03-2009, 01:07 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Or we can say "ZOMG HE CANT WIN THE BIG ONE" when in reality his teams were simply outplayed in the playoffs. I just don't like when we do one for some quarterbacks, and do the other for other quarterbacks.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:31 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Or we can say "ZOMG HE CANT WIN THE BIG ONE" when in reality his teams were simply outplayed in the playoffs. I just don't like when we do one for some quarterbacks, and do the other for other quarterbacks.
Well, once you have won the big one then you get that monkey off your back. It worked for John. :)
Old 02-03-2009, 06:48 AM    (permalink
tony77

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan View Post
I'm sorry but Jimmy Johnson has carried the eagles not Donovan McNabb. The Eagles have consistently had great defenses and elite olines throughout his tenure, sure he never had a stud WR, but he had a great defense covering his ass, an elite oline keeping his jersey clean and they've always ran the ball well, even when they stopped running the ball.
Who carried who in the NFC Title game? If the Eagles get stops early in the game or late in the game, they play Pittsbugh instead.

I would accept this argument five years ago, though.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:22 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Seriously we are going with the "ZOMGZZZZ MCNABBZZZ TEAMZZZZ SUXORS THAT'S WHY HE HASN'T WON TEH SUPABOWLZZZ" argument? Am I saying that Donny Mc is the ONLY reason the Eagles never won the Super Bowl (Although he choked when it was show time against the Pats) but he has had great OLmen he's had great D's before he's had a great WR before still didn't translate to a SB win

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:35 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony77 View Post
Who carried who in the NFC Title game? If the Eagles get stops early in the game or late in the game, they play Pittsbugh instead.

I would accept this argument five years ago, though.
Can you name any other big game that Donny Mc carried them through? And the thing is McNabb did carry the Eagles... they didn't win. No team is carried in a loss.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote