Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:00 PM    (permalink
Whomecouldntbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Meh...it has a lot more to do with me not liking and distrusting a legal gang, most of which have underlying control and power issues.

Think about the type of person you have to be to become a cop. You want to make a career out of getting people into trouble. I'm sorry, but those are not the types of people I like to associate with.

Are cops necessary for society to function? Absolutely. But they're supposed to be here to protect and serve. Not to harrass and generate revenue for the city.
As a criminology student and someone who briefly thought of going into law enforcement simply because it's great wages, I disagree completely. There are a lot of cops who suck. But there are a lot of cops who are great guys. Think about how many people are getting speeding tickets from cameras now. People complain about it all the time. Sometimes discretion sucks, but when it comes to a lot of things, it is extremely important.

If you actually look at what a cop does, they arrest someone about 6 times a month (I believe, don't quote me on that exact number, it's been a year since I was taking the course and I've always been a lazy student). The rest of the time they are doing things like directing traffic, domestic disputes, etc. Do a ride along sometime. Unless you happen to get an asshole (I'd say probably 1/5th of cops are indeed asshole) you'll end up not really doing too many things law-related.

Police work is just so goddamn sensationalized because of Cops. It's disgusting.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:17 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Meh...it has a lot more to do with me not liking and distrusting a legal gang, most of which have underlying control and power issues.

Think about the type of person you have to be to become a cop. You want to make a career out of getting people into trouble. I'm sorry, but those are not the types of people I like to associate with.

Are cops necessary for society to function? Absolutely. But they're supposed to be here to protect and serve. Not to harrass and generate revenue for the city.
Didn't you say your dad was a cop? lol
Old 02-04-2009, 12:49 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomecouldntbe View Post
As a criminology student and someone who briefly thought of going into law enforcement simply because it's great wages, I disagree completely. There are a lot of cops who suck. But there are a lot of cops who are great guys. Think about how many people are getting speeding tickets from cameras now. People complain about it all the time. Sometimes discretion sucks, but when it comes to a lot of things, it is extremely important.

If you actually look at what a cop does, they arrest someone about 6 times a month (I believe, don't quote me on that exact number, it's been a year since I was taking the course and I've always been a lazy student). The rest of the time they are doing things like directing traffic, domestic disputes, etc. Do a ride along sometime. Unless you happen to get an asshole (I'd say probably 1/5th of cops are indeed asshole) you'll end up not really doing too many things law-related.

Police work is just so goddamn sensationalized because of Cops. It's disgusting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
Didn't you say your dad was a cop? lol
He sure is. I've dealt with the fraternity of police officers my entire life, so I have plenty of firsthand experience with them and have been on my fair share of ride alongs growing up. Sure, a lot of them are great guys. But the nature of the job creates an "us against the world" mentality. I know I'm making a sweeping generalization, but most officers don't trust non-officers and carry a sense of moral superiority. Remember, these are men and women that are trained to observe, to lie, to extract information, to find ways to get you to **** yourself.

On the six arrests a month figure...there are so many variables that go into that number that it doesn't really mean anything. It can vary depending on a multitude of things: what beat the cop works in his city, how much crime actually exists in the city, what type of assignments he's on, whether he's a patrol officer, a traffic officer, a detective, etc.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:08 AM    (permalink
Shahin
Veteran

Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKevin View Post
I find it funny that you say this and have a Sean Taylor memorial sig. Maybe the police shouldn't have tried to catch the guys who killed him
The punk police finding his killers ain't bringing him back. Good job to them finding his killers, they did something right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomecouldntbe
Hey, rebels who break all the laws and hate police are cool, I hope one day I could grow up to be like them.

That's why I'm moving to Sierra Leone. I can do whatever I want, suckas!
Don't worry man, you're already super cool.

RIP ST
Shahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Whomecouldntbe

Quote:
He sure is. I've dealt with the fraternity of police officers my entire life, so I have plenty of firsthand experience with them and have been on my fair share of ride alongs growing up. Sure, a lot of them are great guys. But the nature of the job creates an "us against the world" mentality. I know I'm making a sweeping generalization, but most officers don't trust non-officers and carry a sense of moral superiority. Remember, these are men and women that are trained to observe, to lie, to extract information, to find ways to get you to **** yourself.

On the six arrests a month figure...there are so many variables that go into that number that it doesn't really mean anything. It can vary depending on a multitude of things: what beat the cop works in his city, how much crime actually exists in the city, what type of assignments he's on, whether he's a patrol officer, a traffic officer, a detective, etc.
Obviously. Hell, the difference in policing would be huge when you compare LA to Winnipeg, where I'm from. Obviously. I can't comment on LA cops, only on the police / police in training / classmates I know. And the majority of them are people who are in/getting into policing because they want to help people. There are the d-bags who just want to mess with people, but I would never go so far as to say they are in the majority.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:52 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:54 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What the heck is that supposed to mean?
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:02 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKevin View Post
What the heck is that supposed to mean?
I don't know, I was looking fo an emphatic disgusted spit but it took over 30 seconds so I went with the impressive feat above.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote