Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 05-09-2011, 06:09 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I doubt Light is any better than Solder at this point. More experienced? Sure. But he was abused and exploited at times last year.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:12 PM    (permalink
Nandoss
Rookie

Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I doubt Light is any better than Solder at this point. More experienced? Sure. But he was abused and exploited at times last year.
Solder is very raw. He is more athletic than Light ever was but he is also very far behind technically wise. He also needs to bulk up or else he will get bull rushed easily. Solder might eventually become way better than Light, but as of right now he would be a liability in the OL.
Nandoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:24 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I highly doubt he can be THAT much worse than Light was in spots last year. Solder's rawness at this point is entirely overrated. He's a project for sure, but it's not like the guy doesn't know how to block at all.

I'm really not worried about Brady. He's one of the best in the league in terms of in the pocket mobility. We've gone through some real bad offensive linemen before, for years at a time at RT even.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 05-09-2011, 07:46 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I highly doubt he can be THAT much worse than Light was in spots last year. Solder's rawness at this point is entirely overrated. He's a project for sure, but it's not like the guy doesn't know how to block at all.

I'm really not worried about Brady. He's one of the best in the league in terms of in the pocket mobility. We've gone through some real bad offensive linemen before, for years at a time at RT even.
-cough- Nick Kaczur -cough-
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Nandoss
Rookie

Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:

I'm not saying he would suck. But considering the level of the opponents he is going to face I hardly think he is ready to go unscathed. And I don't think Light looked that bad last year, even on the spots you said. My biggest worry last year was the interior of our line. Koppen was the one who disappointed me the most.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:15 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Eh..ehhhh...ehhhhhh.

Light is entirely replaceable at this point. I would say he's slightly below league average as a starter after a fairly good career. Any offensive linemen is going to look better than they actually are playing with Brady(Everyone outside of Mankins has made a name on that, even), so with those two factors in mind I'm not losing any sleep over Solder starting right away and parting ways with Matt Light. We've been complaining about Light here since the Giants showed who our offensive line really was back in 2007.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 05-09-2011, 09:18 PM    (permalink
Nandoss
Rookie

Quote:
Eh..ehhhh...ehhhhhh.

Light is entirely replaceable at this point. I would say he's slightly below league average as a starter after a fairly good career. Any offensive linemen is going to look better than they actually are playing with Brady(Everyone outside of Mankins has made a name on that, even), so with those two factors in mind I'm not losing any sleep over Solder starting right away and parting ways with Matt Light. We've been complaining about Light here since the Giants showed who our offensive line really was back in 2007.
I completely disagree with that. Light for me was slightly above average. He is indeed replaceable, but I still think Solder needs at least one year of development to make a smooth transition.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

He got shown up pretty good multiple times the past few years. The worst part about it is that it didn't show up in the stat sheet all the time because of Brady's footwork and the nature of the short pass and checkdowns in our offensive system. Search "Matt Light" in the team forum and you'll likely see a whole lot of people who disagree with your assessment.

I don't think it would be a bad move signing Matt Light to help ease the transition to Solder, but it might not be a bad move to just move on entirely and not waste a roster spot on a guy you're hoping and praying isn't playing by week four or five. Especially one that has little to not versatility.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 05-09-2011, 09:41 PM    (permalink
Nandoss
Rookie

Quote:
He got shown up pretty good multiple times the past few years. The worst part about it is that it didn't show up in the stat sheet all the time because of Brady's footwork and the nature of the short pass and checkdowns in our offensive system. Search "Matt Light" in the team forum and you'll likely see a whole lot of people who disagree with your assessment.

I don't think it would be a bad move signing Matt Light to help ease the transition to Solder, but it might not be a bad move to just move on entirely and not waste a roster spot on a guy you're hoping and praying isn't playing by week four or five. Especially one that has little to not versatility.
I'm aware most people hate him. The Light bashing goes far back. He does get beat at times but I think most Patriots fans exacerbate it a lot. Brady has great, if not the best, pocket awareness, but he isn't very mobile. He can ditch one guy unblocked but after that unless he gets the ball out there quickly he'll get sacked. We haven't seen him running for his life too often, usually all it takes is for him to step up the pocket and the line holds it's own. There are several plays in which Brady, specially last season, just stands in the pocket going through his progression with more than enough time.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:51 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No one hates Matt Light here. He's a great person and has been a solid OL (if a tad overrated by the rest of the world) for the Pats. But his deficiencies were clearly outlined when we got to see Vollmer playing LT and out-classing Light fairly easily as a rookie. And he gets beat way too much in the passing game for an OT who isn't very good in the run-blocking game.

Let's be clear here.... People overrate the New England OL. They've only had one really good year as an OL and the only elite guy they've had on the line since Bruce Armstrong (maybe Damien Woody) is Logan Mankins. The rest of the guys have been solid (Light, Koppen/Compton) to fair (Andruzzi, Neal, Kaczur) and poor (Brandon Gorin...)

Last edited by nepg : 05-09-2011 at 11:54 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:58 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While I would love to see Solder start right away, I do think giving M.Light a one yr contract is in the best interest of the team.
To be clear, I think Light is a below avg/avg LT now but I think he Solder would benefit from him. He's a proven vet with an ass ton of experience and knows all the divisional pass rushers well
I'd love it if N.Solder could step in day one as the starter but I'm assuming they'll work him like they did Vollmer his rookie year.
Cycling in and starting when injuries occur. Taking over permantly the following year.

God, I hope M.Cannon is ready to go to start the year (long shot, I Know)... we are so thin up front.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:23 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

and the rumors begin . . .

ochocinco

woo-hoo!

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:11 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Let's be clear here.... People overrate the New England OL. They've only had one really good year as an OL and the only elite guy they've had on the line since Bruce Armstrong (maybe Damien Woody) is Logan Mankins. The rest of the guys have been solid (Light, Koppen/Compton) to fair (Andruzzi, Neal, Kaczur) and poor (Brandon Gorin...)
This, this, and verrrrrrry much some of this. We've never had a bad offensive line, but it's almost unbelievable how much the media and some segments of our fanbase have overrated them over the years. Nothing made me rage harder than hearing the "BRADY HAS THE BEST OFFENSIVE LINE IN THE LEAGUE HES OVERRATED" chant of a few years ago. I don't think I could even put it into words, even. Mankins is the only guy on the line that the rest of the league covets and view highly, with the rest of them being steady to pretty good guys most of the time.

I'm pretty sure the only reason Light started at LT last year was because that's where his comfort level is....which again, hurts his value in terms of coming back to the team. You're going to have to pay him starter money to bring him back, which just might not be worth it for a guy you hope isn't starting and has limited versatility. I'm much more in favor of bringing in a guy like Marshall Yanda, who you can play at tackle initially and then find a spot for as the season wears on/plug in at guard if Mankins leaves. Similar money, more value there IMO.

As far as what's out there for DE's right now;

Stephen Bowen from Dallas is an interesting option. He got time from various starters having injuries this year and look solid, albeit unspectacular at that position. He's a lengthy, big body though, which is something we're sorely missing in our rotation right now.

Marcus Spears is another guy from Dallas who has had some real good years in the past, but has been injured/inconsistent as of late. Might be the type who gets more money than he deserves on the open market, we'll have see.

Desmond Bryant is an intriguing option out of Oakland. He's undersized at 6'5 290, but he doesn't profile as a full time starter in our defense anyway. Once you get past that, he's an interesting rotational option with his combination of length and athletic ability. Would likely be a subpackage type guy with the ability to play in the base defense occasionally.

Kenyon Coleman can likely be had for fairly cheap due to his advanced age and we don't have to worry about the Browns trying to go hard after him either because of the scheme change. Another very solid defensive end who can come in and play in the base defense and do pretty well. Might be the most realistic option if things don't work out with Marcus Stroud.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 05-10-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

People still argue we have an amazing offensive line, I got caught into a few arguments on here this past year with fans of other teams over that. And Solder should not be starting day one haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We have more than enough bodies for rotational guys.
If we're not bringing in a hands down starter then no thank you.
We have more than enough bodies with everyone coming back healthy plus Stroud

Old 05-10-2011, 09:56 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
We have more than enough bodies for rotational guys.
If we're not bringing in a hands down starter then no thank you.
We have more than enough bodies with everyone coming back healthy plus Stroud
See, I don't think we have enough EFFECTIVE rotational linemen. We could find some space for guys that fit better in our scheme...and I'm casting my eyes directly at Ron Brace right now.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 05-10-2011, 10:00 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Brace can play more then a few games at a time before getting injured again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:02 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Brace is honestly a case of square peg, round hole. Drafted in case Wilfork leaves and for leverage in that situation...doesn't have a role here anymore and never really got a fair start from the start. I just don't think it's going to work out here at this point and he's clearly not a DE in a 3-4.

Another roster spot; Warren is a free agent and while I wouldn't mind bringing him back, we should be actively seeking an upgrade.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 05-10-2011, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

I'm always down to upgrade. I just don't want any lateral moves.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:10 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Actually, I think the Pats quite possibly had the worst offensive line of any Super Bowl-winning team in history when they won their first two Super Bowls. That line was garbage. The reason Weis ran the offense he ran (dink and dunk) was because they couldn't hold up long enough to run anything else... And it took power runners like Smith and Dillon to do anything running the ball pre-Mankins.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:23 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I agree with that. Stephen Neal had some real good moments too. Damien Woody was pretty good for awhile as well....but aside from that it's all been very meh to below average. Koppen, the guy we've seen the most of over the years, could actually be placed next to the word average in the dictionary as the picture, even.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 05-11-2011, 06:16 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

It was funny when people were wondering how they would replace Joe Andruzzi... That guy sucked. The only reason people knew him is because of the off-field stuff he did. Losing (not replacing) Andruzzi and Brandon Gorin were the two biggest upgrades the Pats made to that OL. Losing them and having nothing at LG and RT was a bigger improvement than having Mankins and Kaczur over nothing.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:05 PM    (permalink
Nandoss
Rookie

Quote:
I agree with that. Stephen Neal had some real good moments too. Damien Woody was pretty good for awhile as well....but aside from that it's all been very meh to below average. Koppen, the guy we've seen the most of over the years, could actually be placed next to the word average in the dictionary as the picture, even.
He's been down right awful at times. Average may be stretching it a little.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:40 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I read another Chad Johnson/Ochocinco/Bullrider rumor today. I wonder how many more times his name will be connected with the Patriots before he retires.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:31 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandoss View Post
He's been down right awful at times. Average may be stretching it a little.
For what Koppen means to the rest of the OL's success, average is the floor for him. There's a good reason he hasn't been replaced.