Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 03-16-2009, 02:58 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proshoota25 View Post
damn mayo maulaluga peppers and adalius thomas would be insanely nasty haha with crable, redd, and guyton developing behind them
Don't forget Tedy!!! Limit his time and let him put up a few big plays each game. BRUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:00 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Big Show is making a great point that I hadn't thought of . . . which is a surprise - mostly that I haven't turned it off yet . . . lol

Peppers/Seymour/Warren as 3rd down lineman when Wilfork would be off the field anyway. Nasty.

Last edited by FlyingElvis : 03-16-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: combine Vince Wilfork to get Vilfork!! shake in fear!! lol
Old 03-16-2009, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
The Big Show is making a great point that I hadn't thought of . . . which is a surprise - mostly that I haven't turned it off yet . . . lol

Peppers/Seymour/Warren as 3rd down lineman when Wilfork would be off the field anyway. Nasty.
Imagine the 4 man front. Pepper, Seymour, Wilfork, Warren with J Green and Wright rotating in too
Old 03-16-2009, 03:50 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's gonna be expensive if this happens, contractually, but damn the potential is just phenominal
Old 03-16-2009, 03:52 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

^ I am . . . with Mayo & Maualuga & Thomas behind and a rotation of Guyton, Crable & Bruschi.

I'm liking it!

The money issue might make Seymour a lame duck, though. He'll have quite a pricey tag next year and would be the odd man out w/Vince & Mankins having the advantage of youth.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

^ Which could then, in turn, effect how we draft this year (Jackson or Gilbert anyone?)
Old 03-16-2009, 04:26 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't want to deal with the contract Peppers would command personally. The price would be right to experiment with him as a linebacker in that scenario in terms of trade value, but the contract would be punishing.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:29 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ESPN Radio said that Peppers can talk to any team he wants to.
Including contract request-
I doubt the Pats would initiate trade talks before knowing what his asking price is.

I agree that Seymour might not be able to be retained...
so draft Kruger/Gilbert/Jackson now and let him learn behind our studs

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:30 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we get Peppers, we're not keeping Seymour. I would kinda rather have Seymour over Peppers.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-17-2009, 10:42 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

I'm just glad the Pats had good reason for moving Cassel so quick. The Peppers talks were likely ongoing the entire time.

Good article on Patriots.com about the available safeties. I already want William Moore, but I know a few of you aren't sold. Read the few paragraphs in this article on him and see if that doesn't sway your opinion.

Delmas is listed as a 3rd round guy. ??

Last edited by FlyingElvis : 03-17-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:49 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Interesting that there's no Rashad Johnson there...

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-17-2009, 11:11 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

I forgot about him . . . maybe they did, too?

Schefter said on WEEI yesterday that he's 99.9% sure Peppers will not be a Patriot. I really hope not. His talent is insane but his contract would completely kill the "Patriot Way" when Mankins, Seymour and Wilfork come due next year.

If they really go after him they need to extend Vince & Logan ASAP so they don't see a huge contract go to Peppers before signing.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:27 AM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm just glad the Pats had good reason for moving Cassel so quick. The Peppers talks were likely ongoing the entire time.

Good article on Patriots.com about the available safeties. I already want William Moore, but I know a few of you aren't sold. Read the few paragraphs in this article on him and see if that doesn't sway your opinion.

Delmas is listed as a 3rd round guy. ??
yea that article must be really old to list delmas as a third rounder. maybe they were mostly looking at SS. Delmas has the versatility to play both, along with Moore, and Chung would almost always be a SS. Rashard Johnson would be a FS without a doubt. maybe they know something we dont and figure meriwether to be used exclusively at FS this year haha

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:42 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

It is odd . . . mostly because it is dated as 3/12.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:45 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Schefter said on WEEI yesterday that he's 99.9% sure Peppers will not be a Patriot. I really hope not. His talent is insane but his contract would completely kill the "Patriot Way" when Mankins, Seymour and Wilfork come due next year.
As much as I don't like it, I think it's more 50/50 as to if we land Peppers at this point. We would lose out on Seymour next year and Wilfork and Mankins wouldn't be sure things either. Just don't think he's worth that.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-17-2009, 01:08 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think bringing in Peppers means anyone in particular is out the door. They've worked really hard to keep that front 3 together. What Peppers would mean to the defense is worth the risk, though.
________
HEADSHOP

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 07:11 AM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:24 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

^ You're missing the point, I think.

In order to get Peppers the Patriots will have to pay a huge contract - basically paying him as one of the best at his position. Once they do that for him the other players who are also among the best at their positions (Wilfork, Seymour & Mankins) will expect that they will be paid accordingly as well.

So Peppers won't just cost us his top dollar salary, he will also make it impossible for the Pats to then ask those guys to take less than top dollar. It would be an extremely expensive ripple effect.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:25 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

The only thing that could save us is the potential of an uncapped year. We'll see if we're willing to shell out that much dough though. Without a cap, we'll see some enormous salaries being thrown around so it wouldn't be that easy.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-18-2009, 12:32 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
^ You're missing the point, I think.

In order to get Peppers the Patriots will have to pay a huge contract - basically paying him as one of the best at his position. Once they do that for him the other players who are also among the best at their positions (Wilfork, Seymour & Mankins) will expect that they will be paid accordingly as well.

So Peppers won't just cost us his top dollar salary, he will also make it impossible for the Pats to then ask those guys to take less than top dollar. It would be an extremely expensive ripple effect.
That's speculatory. You can't not make a move that could net you a championship this year in fear of maybe losing a player. There are so many other factors such as cuts and the draft...

To miss out on a unique guy like Peppers, who will play a position that is tough to fill these days because you're scared of losing a player at a very easy-to-replace position (OG, 3-4 DE) is just stupid.
________
RacingGirl

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:54 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
That's speculatory. You can't not make a move that could net you a championship this year in fear of maybe losing a player. There are so many other factors such as cuts and the draft...

To miss out on a unique guy like Peppers, who will play a position that is tough to fill these days because you're scared of losing a player at a very easy-to-replace position (OG, 3-4 DE) is just stupid.
Assuming we have a capped year next year, Peppers being among the highest paid defensive players in the league would all but eliminate our chances of resigning Seymour. Completely disagree with your assessment on 3-4 DE's. They're not something that's easy to replace. You get one or two per draft class and they aren't always good ones.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-19-2009, 10:02 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Quote:

It's also speculatory to say Peppers will have success as a 3-4 OLB. He may be unique, but that doesn't mean he will work well at a new position.

It's speculatory to further say that acquiring Peppers is "a move that could net you a championship this year." So without him we can't? A combination of Crable, Guyton, Woods and someone like Sintim/Cushing would not be a move that could net a championship?

All those ideas are equally speculative. Until we see a result we have to work based on speculation.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:26 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

I love all of those OLBs you mentioned (don't forget TBC, who was beastly in off the edge at times in his last stint with the Pats), but none of them have proven they can get the job done consistently or stay healthy. I have little doubt that Peppers would thrive in a 3-4. There's a reason he wants to play in one so badly...he knows he'll succeed.

He's highly intelligent, and adding that mix of intelligence & physical talent to a unit that has Adalius Thomas and Jerod Mayo would be amazing.

Peppers, combined with the rest of the pieces they have, makes them a championship caliber defense instantly.
________
BoobsRIDE cam

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:29 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I think any upgrade to our pass rush makes us a championship caliber defense. Maybe not a dominating one, but more than good enough. Doesn't have to be Peppers. Peppers doesn't exactly play the way you would want an end to if you were looking to convert them to a 3-4.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-19-2009, 11:49 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

I just don't see how someone can be so against it. If the make the move, to me, that means that they know they can re-sign who needs to be re-signed.
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:56 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
I just don't see how someone can be so against it. If the make the move, to me, that means that they know they can re-sign who needs to be re-signed.
The money just wouldn't be there with the kind of contract Peppers would command. There wouldn't be that much we could do.

I just think with the positional questions about Peppers and the money it requires we would be better served holding onto our picks and stocking up for a deep playoff run.

R.I.P. Junior Seau