Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:25 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proshoota25 View Post
cassel right? lol
this is ESPN we are talking about, I mean Brady. ZOMG CASSEL>>>BRADY lol
Old 02-05-2009, 08:26 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
this is ESPN we are talking about, I mean Brady. ZOMG CASSEL>>>BRADY lol
lmao yea haha

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:33 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dude, Matt Cassel is totally better than Brady and I think we would have won every Super Bowl in history with him. He does so many things better early on with an inferior offense and without sitting for years and years! Brady is the best quarterback in the NFL, but Cassel is somehow better for the team or something. Yeah. That sounds spirited and reactionary.

-ESPN

Seriously though, good move. Let's at least get something for the guy. He's a damned good quarterback, but he isn't anywhere near Brady right now. He's in the Derek Anderson last year neighborhood. If Brady's ready, we cash in.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:55 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Once Cassel signs the tender, it's fully guaranteed.
Something he should do ASAP.

Why not?

$14.5M this season guaranteed, probably to be a backup. Next offseason you hit the market again. So you're basically going to get 2 signing bonuses in 2 seasons.

All for one decent season in ideal circumstances. What a pay day.

Charles Woodson did it to the Raiders to force them to not tag him the next offseason, and it worked. Cassel should do it to cash in and achieve much the same thing.

Are the Pats even *really* prepared to have his $14.5M on the cap this season? If not, playing with the franchise tag is akin to playing with fire.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:58 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Uhhhh I'm sorry you guys, but I thought the major problem with getting the tag was that it in fact isn't guaranteed money... which is why players hate getting it.

Am I wrong here? (honest question).

Oh and also: unless they amputate Brady's leg, Cassel's outta NE.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:10 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Unless I'm mistaken, the reason most players hate the tag is because it pales in comparison to the signing bonus+guaranteed money a new deal would likely grant them. Once it is signed, I believe it becomes guaranteed.

In this case, the tag is actually about what Cassel will likely get SB wise.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:12 PM    (permalink
FuzzyGopher
Pro Bowler

FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTitan View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, the reason most players hate the tag is because it pales in comparison to the signing bonus+guaranteed money a new deal would likely grant them. Once it is signed, I believe it becomes guaranteed.

In this case, the tag is actually about what Cassel will likely get SB wise.
They don't like it because they have no long term security. If they get hurt while playing on a 1 year contract it will kill their chances at a big payday.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:15 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
They don't like it because they have no long term security. If they get hurt while playing on a 1 year contract it will kill their chances at a big payday.
oh ok. I thought it was like a high contract with no bonus.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:21 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
Right, which basically means what I said - the guaranteed mulla on a new deal is going to usually be a lot more than the tag. If the tag rules stated the player is paid the same he'd get guaranteed on a new 5 year deal, then I'm sure they wouldn't mind at all.

And for Cassel it will probably be close to that. And when you consider he'll likely be a backup this season away from danger and a free agent again in a year, the tag becomes even more attractive for him. He really should sign the tag right away.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:22 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
oh ok. I thought it was like a high contract with no bonus.
I think it's considered guaranteed base salary once signed - sorta like how veteran base salaries are guaranteed if they're on the roster starting week 1 or whatever it is.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:54 PM    (permalink
russie
Veteran

russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTitan View Post
I think it's considered guaranteed base salary once signed - sorta like how veteran base salaries are guaranteed if they're on the roster starting week 1 or whatever it is.
yeah, that's one thing i never really got. the money is guaranteed as soon as they sign, but some of the players ***** when they get tagged a few seasons in a row. maybe it's just me, but i'd take the $14 million x 3 years. i'll take the 42 million over the three years over the $30 million they would get with a long term contract, plus the "guaranteed money/signing bonus" in a long term contract isnt always guaranteed, just ask mike vick (yes i know he was a dumb ass and killed his career) or kellen winslow jr. some of the time the "guaranteed money" is in the form of roster bonuses that they should be able to make, but some times arent. just ask deangelo hall about his raider contract
Old 02-06-2009, 12:00 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russie View Post
yeah, that's one thing i never really got. the money is guaranteed as soon as they sign, but some of the players ***** when they get tagged a few seasons in a row. maybe it's just me, but i'd take the $14 million x 3 years. i'll take the 42 million over the three years over the $30 million they would get with a long term contract, plus the "guaranteed money/signing bonus" in a long term contract isnt always guaranteed, just ask mike vick (yes i know he was a dumb ass and killed his career) or kellen winslow jr. some of the time the "guaranteed money" is in the form of roster bonuses that they should be able to make, but some times arent. just ask deangelo hall about his raider contract
I'd have to get my buddy to answer these questions. He's got the Salary cap down to a near exact science.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:01 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Meh....how often does ACL reconstruction really go wrong these days? Hell Carson Palmer came back from the same injury in less than 8 months. The Patriots are franchising Cassell because he's a *potential* franchise quarterback for someone. Look at how much the Falcons were able to get for Matt Schaub - who had a much less extensive body of work than Cassell. The Patriots are being smart - there are not a lot of quality quarterbacks in this league and you can recoup a lot of value if you happen to have an extra one lying around on your roster.
I'm not 100% sure but didn't Brady's knee get infected? And didn't he have to have 1-2 additional surgeries to get the infection out and repair it again because it wasn't working right?

again not 100% sure but I thought I heard that.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:56 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

The thing is, the tag isn't normally this high for most positions. When players complain, they're usually looking at $6-9M rather than the 15-20 they may get guaranteed on a new deal. I don't think QB's getting tagged is that common, they're usually instant long term deal candidates.

That, and I think some players exaggerate it's impact. Having serious objections to the tag can't hurt even if it's not as bad as made out.

A smart poster over on a Titans board put forward the possibility Cassel won't be a UFA next offseason since, if the non capped year comes about, players don't become UFA's until their 6th season (or something like that). So Cassel will be a RFA. Therefore, it's probably not that great idea for him to sign the tag ASAP as he won't likely get a big deal next offseason.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:50 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBlackByrdz View Post
Could this mean, the Pats aren't confident in Brady returning for the season opener next year? Or they just want some insurance behind Tom?
Trade bait. They drafted O'Connell and will use him if need be, but Brady has a long time to recover. In all the hoopla made over his infection nobody bothered to mention that guys like Palmer & McNabb returned the next season after suffering similar injuries much later in the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proshoota25 View Post
or they just want to get compensation for him, which would be brilliant... you possibly could turn a 7th rounder into a first.....
Exactly. Probably into a first and second. My guess is the 1st rounder would be a conditional pick, so maybe this years 2nd rounder and next year 1st/2nd depending on his play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradysKnee View Post
I honestly think if no trade was worked out, they'd release him and take no hit.
Doubt it. They'd have to be over cap to get nothing for him. Why not keep him w/Brady coming off injury? He's proved he can get the job done.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:52 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, does anyone know if there is actually a franchise contract on the table that he could sign immediately? I don't know if the team actually has to offer it to be signed the same day.

Either way, signed or not he can be traded. The contract is basically meaningless when a trade deal is worked out, as a different (presumably long-term) deal would be worked out with the new team.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:21 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A team would be stupid to give up 1st or second for this guy. Seriously, he proved he can be pretty good with an outstanding supporting cast, what is he going to do with an inferior group around him?
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:27 AM    (permalink
IndyColtScout
Veteran

IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
A team would be stupid to give up 1st or second for this guy. Seriously, he proved he can be pretty good with an outstanding supporting cast, what is he going to do with an inferior group around him?
Not many QB's are good without a supporting casts.

All that matters to me is he proved (even if it was agaisnt bad D's) he can throw the ball at the NFL level, and he is young enough to keep growing. I'de pay him, and give up a 1st this year and a conditional 3rd next year. QB's are invaluable at this level.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:31 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This post is so full of fail.

Because he played on a team with Randy Moss, automatically he's a scrub? Let's not forget that the o-line fell off from its play last year, and they had absolutely no running game to speak of. The TE position also disappeared from that offense, so it was basically Cassel, Moss, Welker and whatever was left from the offensive line.

He performed exceptionally well given the conditions, and should a team with a solid foundation built already take him, he will be very good. What kind of quarterback can you get in the second round that can step in automatically and win 11 games for you?
Old 02-06-2009, 10:35 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Quote:
So he's proved more than any college QB who would cost a 1st round pick in the draft. Isn't that proof worth a second round pick?

I've seen this argument many times now and I still think it's silly. Cassel will most likely sign a contract that costs LESS than the first QB off the board this year and has done far more in the NFL with just one season under his belt.

imo, that means he's worth a 1 & 2.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:39 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
So he's proved more than any college QB who would cost a 1st round pick in the draft. Isn't that proof worth a second round pick?

I've seen this argument many times now and I still think it's silly. Cassel will most likely sign a contract that costs LESS than the first QB off the board this year and has done far more in the NFL with just one season under his belt.

imo, that means he's worth a 1 & 2.
I agree with that sentiment, for the most part. A first and a second in the same year is a little much, but he's worth a first.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-06-2009, 10:42 AM    (permalink
tony77

It will cost any team who wants him TWO 1st-round picks.

Do you guys think he is worth it then? I think he is to teams who are a QB away from big postseason runs, but not for a team who is building from the ground up.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:44 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony77 View Post

Do you guys think he is worth it then? I think he is to teams who are a QB away from big postseason runs, but not for a team who is building from the ground up.
Doesn't really matter if he's worth it or not at that point. Don't think any team would give up two first rounders for him...and I think it would be more than a bit foolish if they did.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-06-2009, 10:44 AM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyColtScout View Post
Not many QB's are good without a supporting casts.

All that matters to me is he proved (even if it was agaisnt bad D's) he can throw the ball at the NFL level, and he is young enough to keep growing. I'de pay him, and give up a 1st this year and a conditional 3rd next year. QB's are invaluable at this level.
All he proved was that he could put up decent numbers with an ELITE cast and coaching cast.

Honestly his TD total considering the talent he had on that team was not even that impressive. He had one of the highest percentages in the league of passes between 1-10 yards and he cost Randy Moss at least half a dozen TDs this season by missing him deep.

Derek Anderson looked far more dominant in his one season as a starter and Anderson was younger and more talented.

Honestly Im actually hoping that a team is stupid enough to give up a ton of picks for this guy just so he can be exposed
BBIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:46 AM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony77 View Post

I was under the impression that the Pats could work out a deal with a team that was interested in Cassell and they could negotiate what they would ask for in return because it was an unconditional franchise tag.
BBIB is offline   Reply With Quote