Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:50 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony77 View Post
It will cost any team who wants him TWO 1st-round picks.

Do you guys think he is worth it then? I think he is to teams who are a QB away from big postseason runs, but not for a team who is building from the ground up.
Yeah, the two 1st round picks called for by the franchise tag is not set in stone. I think that has only happened once since instituted, though my memory doesn't always serve me well.

The Patriots can accept whatever deal they want, but it will most likely include at least 2 2nd round picks. Probably a 2, 2, 3 or a 1 & 2 conditional type trade. I could see a 2nd this year with a 1st or 2nd next year depending on his performance. I'd like to see an "if you trade him to the Jets we get your next 3 #1 picks" type of deal. :)

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:52 AM    (permalink
tony77

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBIB View Post

Derek Anderson looked far more dominant in his one season as a starter and Anderson was younger and more talented.
Really? Let's not make Derek Anderson this awesome player, please.

2007 Derek Anderson (Age 26 in 2009)

15 starts (10-5), 298-527 (56.5%), 3787 yards, 29 TD/19 INT, 82.5 Rating

2008 Matt Cassel (Age 27 in 2009)

15 starts, (10-5), 327-516 (63.4%), 3693 yards, 21 TD/11 INT, 89.4 Rating

Do better...
Old 02-06-2009, 11:12 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It will cost any team who wants him TWO 1st-round picks.

Do you guys think he is worth it then? I think he is to teams who are a QB away from big postseason runs, but not for a team who is building from the ground up.
Only if they straight up sign him without dealing with the Patriots.

New England would be incredibly stupid to not want to work out a deal with a team willing to part with a low first round pick, or multiple 2/3 rounders.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:15 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
All he proved was that he could put up decent numbers with an ELITE cast and coaching cast.

Honestly his TD total considering the talent he had on that team was not even that impressive. He had one of the highest percentages in the league of passes between 1-10 yards and he cost Randy Moss at least half a dozen TDs this season by missing him deep.

Derek Anderson looked far more dominant in his one season as a starter and Anderson was younger and more talented.

Honestly Im actually hoping that a team is stupid enough to give up a ton of picks for this guy just so he can be exposed
Well someone decided to ride the stat train without watching any football!

Anderson was pretty horrible last year, it's no surprise that he flopped this year. His accuracy was just terrible, and his decision making was sub-par. You're trying to knock on Cassel for playing with Moss, when last year Edwards was arguably one of the best WRs in the game, playing with a great offensive line and running game. Not to mention a top 4 TE.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:16 AM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Really? Let's not make Derek Anderson this awesome player, please.

2007 Derek Anderson (Age 26 in 2009)

15 starts (10-5), 298-527 (56.5%), 3787 yards, 29 TD/19 INT, 82.5 Rating

2008 Matt Cassel (Age 27 in 2009)

15 starts, (10-5), 327-516 (63.4%), 3693 yards, 21 TD/11 INT, 89.4 Rating

Do better...
29 TDs = Top 5 in the NFL that season.

Don't even give me that completion percentage non sense with all those dump off passes they called for Cassell a game. He had about the most passes thrown between 1-10 yards than any QB in the league.

Cassell did it with a far superior system and he did it with Randy Moss and Wes Welker who I'd take any day over the cast that Anderson had.

Anderson is a year younger, has a stronger arm, and Anderson didn't warrant freaking two first day picks
BBIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:18 AM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Well someone decided to ride the stat train without watching any football!

Anderson was pretty horrible last year, it's no surprise that he flopped this year. His accuracy was just terrible, and his decision making was sub-par. You're trying to knock on Cassel for playing with Moss, when last year Edwards was arguably one of the best WRs in the game, playing with a great offensive line and running game. Not to mention a top 4 TE.
Anderson was pretty horrible down the stretch maybe. But not for the first 3/4 of the season by any stretch of the imagination.
BBIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:33 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Anderson is a year younger, has a stronger arm, and Anderson didn't warrant freaking two first day picks
That had more to do with the Brown's wanting to keep him than them not being able to get the picks, if I recall correctly.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:53 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Anderson was pretty horrible down the stretch maybe. But not for the first 3/4 of the season by any stretch of the imagination.
And what about the offense argument? I'd go as far as to say that last year's Browns offense (this is discarding the QB position) was better than this year's New England offense.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:55 AM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you were the lions would you give up too first rounders for Cassel?

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:56 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyStat View Post
Hell no. That's not even a question. You don't even give up one. I don't care if it's next year's.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:44 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would be shocked if the Patriots even considered a trade that forced them to pay the price associated with a #1 pick - or anywhere in the top 5 for that matter.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:12 PM    (permalink
tony77

Quote:
29 TDs = Top 5 in the NFL that season.

Don't even give me that completion percentage non sense with all those dump off passes they called for Cassell a game. He had about the most passes thrown between 1-10 yards than any QB in the league.

Cassell did it with a far superior system and he did it with Randy Moss and Wes Welker who I'd take any day over the cast that Anderson had.

Sorry, but you have to get it done in the offense you play in; it includes taking what's given to you, not throwing ridiculous passes downfield when they are not there. Anderson has never been an accurate QB in college (and was also a turnover monster like he is in the NFL) and he is not all of a sudden going to get more accurate in the NFL. Anderson had Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow, and a running game, something the Pats don't have so there was even more pressure on Cassel. Far superior offensive system? Again, you exaggerate.

A year younger in this case means nothing. Neither guy had much experience before grabbing the starting job.

Strong arm means nothing in the system you play in if you don't need one. Anderson totally regressed in 2008. If Anderson is so great, he keeps Brady Quinn at bay. Cassel is behind Tom Brady, for God's sake!

The fact is that the market for QB will pay a premium for anyone competent. Anderson is looking like a flash in the pan. Cassel? He could be, but we don't know, and a team will take the shot by offering two draft picks for him. There were no offers like this for Anderson when he was a RFA.

Do better...
Old 02-06-2009, 01:49 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I could be mistaken, but I think that if the Pats traded Cassell, he would have to agree to a new contract, giving him the option to void any trades and just take the franchise money for a year of backup duty.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:10 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

^Correct. But what are the chances he chooses to take 14.5 million to be a back up for one year over a competitive, multiyear deal that will likely include somewhere around 10 million guaranteed and be the #1 guy?

My guess would be the chances are pretty slim. Nobody chooses to be a backup.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:32 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Because he played on a team with Randy Moss, automatically he's a scrub?
Scrub? No. But let's not pretend that having Randy Moss and Wes Welker isn't a big advantage for a quarterback.

Quote:
Let's not forget that the o-line fell off from its play last year, and they had absolutely no running game to speak of.
"They had absolutely no running game to speak of," yet finished 6th in the NFL in rushing yards per game? 7th in average per carry? 4th in rushing touchdowns and rushing attempts?

In the six games Matt Cassel posted a 100+ QB rating (excluding the season finale because of his limited involvement), the Patriots rushed for 963 yards on 170 carries (5.66 ypc average; 160.5 ypg) with nine rushing touchdowns.

Absolutely no running game to speak of? I'll have to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyStat View Post
Absolutely not. I have to assume at this point that, if Cassel is traded, it will involve a first round pick. Me personally, I'm really not sure I'd do it. If I'm going to make that move, I'd rather it be for a conditional 2010 pick that could turn into a first rounder if he meets certain benchmarks and proves he isn't a one-year wonder.