Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 02-16-2009, 04:44 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Bengals tag Graham as franchise player

Bengals tag Graham as franchise player
Old 02-16-2009, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Desert
Rookie

Desert hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Bye bye, Housh. We'll miss you...
Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:02 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

rickscott hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If anyone ever wondered why this franchsie stinks.......when you waste your tag on a guy that won't even earn 3 mil per year, you know you have front office problems. This franchise could tag TJ and move him but that would involve some work on their part, so just like we allowed Spikes to leave a few years ago with no compensation, I guess well do the same with TJ. It sickens me to see how Mike Brown operates this club.
rickscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickscott View Post
If anyone ever wondered why this franchsie stinks.......when you waste your tag on a guy that won't even earn 3 mil per year, you know you have front office problems. This franchise could tag TJ and move him but that would involve some work on their part, so just like we allowed Spikes to leave a few years ago with no compensation, I guess well do the same with TJ. It sickens me to see how Mike Brown operates this club.
This circumstance is slightly different. We drafted 2 receivers last (technically 3), we have Holt and Chatman too. If you add Henry into the mix (despite his problems off the field) that's 5 guys waiting to take TJ's spot as the #2. We were never going to keep TJ and Chad forever.

Yes, it'd be nice to get a little value out of T.J. But then you let Graham walk - and you'll never know how much it sucks to have a terrible kicker until you actually do.

If you don't look at the position values, it makes perfect sense. We have five potential replacements for 1 guy, and zero potential replacements for another - of course we're going to tag the guy that has zero replacements. And while the value of each position is different, a kicker is still valuable (and, conveniently cheaper which may allow Mr. Brown to spend more cash on other players).

I don't think TJ is trying his hardest on this team. Sure, on Sundays he's great. But he hasn't shown up to a voluntary mini-camp in nearly 5 years or so. Those reps that he could get with Carson, or to teach the younger players - would help a lot.

Anyways, I'm a huge fan of TJ - he's my favorite receiver now, and probably always will be. But unfortunately him and the franchise seem to be parting ways - and I'm okay with that.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:36 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
This circumstance is slightly different. We drafted 2 receivers last (technically 3), we have Holt and Chatman too. If you add Henry into the mix (despite his problems off the field) that's 5 guys waiting to take TJ's spot as the #2. We were never going to keep TJ and Chad forever.

Yes, it'd be nice to get a little value out of T.J. But then you let Graham walk - and you'll never know how much it sucks to have a terrible kicker until you actually do.

If you don't look at the position values, it makes perfect sense. We have five potential replacements for 1 guy, and zero potential replacements for another - of course we're going to tag the guy that has zero replacements. And while the value of each position is different, a kicker is still valuable (and, conveniently cheaper which may allow Mr. Brown to spend more cash on other players).

I don't think TJ is trying his hardest on this team. Sure, on Sundays he's great. But he hasn't shown up to a voluntary mini-camp in nearly 5 years or so. Those reps that he could get with Carson, or to teach the younger players - would help a lot.

Anyways, I'm a huge fan of TJ - he's my favorite receiver now, and probably always will be. But unfortunately him and the franchise seem to be parting ways - and I'm okay with that.
You speak the truth and I could not agree more. Keeping TJ would be great, as would tagging and trading him in order to gain something by his loss. But as was so eloquently stated, "you'll never know how much it sucks to have a terrible kicker until you actually do." That is for damn sure. Ok, Graham wasn't as spectacular last year as we've come to expect, but he's far better than a lot of the kickers in the NFL and we should consider ourselves lucky to have a premier kicker. Imagine how bad we would have been last year if we couldn't even kick field goals.

As for TJ's probable departure from the Queen City, yes, it sucks, but there are guys who are ready and willing to fill that void. If he does end up leaving, his spot will be open, and the battle to fill it will begin. That can only force our young receivers to focus on their game and prepare themselves to play.

Overall, I like the tagging of Graham. It's a safe move and it does afford the front office the opportunity to spend more money where needed (possibly make some moves via FA, but we all know the likeliness of that).
hobbes2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:04 AM    (permalink
Strongside
Veteran

Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Strongside is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post

Yeah but who out of that group can reel out 100 reception seasons like Housh can? I think this move will hurt the Bengals offense and especially Palmer a lot.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:01 AM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongside View Post
Yeah but who out of that group can reel out 100 reception seasons like Housh can? I think this move will hurt the Bengals offense and especially Palmer a lot.
I dont think anything can hurt palmer more than this last year. I think we all knew Housh wasnt getting tagged. Thats why we drafted two WR last year in earlier rounds.
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:18 AM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well looks like we need to go Crabtree or Maclin with 6 pick i expect Johnson is going to be gone now.
Pat Sims 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:22 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Sims 90 View Post
Well looks like we need to go Crabtree or Maclin with 6 pick i expect Johnson is going to be gone now.
won't solve our issues. I'd rather grab a veteran middle-of-the-road WR from FA and draft an OT than draft a WR.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:16 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Sims 90 View Post
Why would we? We used a 2nd and 3rd on WR last year. Caldwell showed some serious potential towards the end of the year. And watching Simpson in college and such, I think he has all the tools he just needs to put it together.
Which is one reason why I think we need to get Hue Jackson back here.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:06 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everyone outside of us seems surprised this happened... I wish I was.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:35 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is not a huge deal IMO. As much as TJ is a fan favorite from a talent standpoint I'd rather have CJ and I think TJ is more a product of Chad and Carson than anything else. Don't get me wrong, I love TJ(on sundays) but its not as if we are completely screwed because of this.

Need I bring up Neil Rackers?

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:22 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
This is not a huge deal IMO. As much as TJ is a fan favorite from a talent standpoint I'd rather have CJ and I think TJ is more a product of Chad and Carson than anything else. Don't get me wrong, I love TJ(on sundays) but its not as if we are completely screwed because of this.

Need I bring up Neil Rackers?
I agree with you here. You had to weigh Pro's and Con's about TJ. If we franchised him that would basically mean we would pay him the 9 million or so to play as a number 2 reciever. If we franchised him then he said he wouldnt show up. Likely he would have wanted a large deal if we were to sign him. With the 2010 uncapped stuff this would have placed some strain on the contract up until this time. Now if the Bengals did indeed Franchise him and had the intention to trade him they can get in trouble for tampering violations or something. Yea I know most teams wouldnt get in trouble if they did it...but I am sure the Bengals would be made an example of. So the Bengals really had no idea of what his worth could be if they tried to Franchise and trade.

Now Graham was Franchised and I see it as a good move. Kicker is an important position and by getting the franchise we are likely just going to keep Graham for this one yera and not work a long term contract out. We will prolly draft a kicker or pick one up UFA and let him learn a bit behind Graham for the year.

This also leaves us alot more Cap room as well. What would that mean? It could mean we might go after a big FA. Also means we might be trying to get Benson and Crocker resigned. Could mean alot of things...and I hope it does mean we might be a little aggressive again in FA...I dont mean we should go out and grab everyone (lord knows we couldnt afford it) but it could mean we go after a C in free agency, or maybe a DE that wants to play OLB (Peppers). The chances are slim...but I just have the feeling something big is in store.

Do I think Franchising Graham was the right move? Yes I do. I like Housh as a player...but it seems like he doesnt want to be here. We don't need a locker room cancer. If they don't want to be here then trade, release, let go, dont resign, and do what ya gotta do. Maybe they will be trading Chad too. Who knows. But one thing is for sure. We have Graham for another year...
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:46 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was surprised we went after Utecht and Odom in the same offseason last year. While it might not seem like much, it does look like they are putting some pieces together. Who knows, maybe we will get a big name in FA or at least a player who helps us.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:10 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Utecht and Odom will both have better years. I really feel like Utecht could be an awesome receiving TE for us for awhile. We prolly paid too much for Odom IMO but he definitely does have some pass rushing skills and I'll be curious to see how both him and Geathers fair with 2 DTs who are actually good(Peko, Sims) for a full season.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote