Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 02-24-2009, 12:30 AM    (permalink
NMUBurner22
Rookie

NMUBurner22 smells like sex panther.
Default Detroit Lions !!!!!!!! What do you think they should do with the 1,20 and 33 pick

Heres what my Lions should do:

1. Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forrest.

Coach Jim would have his Keith Bulluck...to team up with Ernie Sims....Curry is a guy who can stop the run...defend the pass...and cover a tight end or running back if need be...He can chase down anyone from behind and hes an intimidating presence and a leader on the field..And he brings the lumber when he hits. He alone automatically makes the Lions defense better.

20. Michael Oher , OT, Ole Miss.

He dissapointed at the combine....ans far as his forty and bench press which means he will free fall in the draft. At 20 if Oher is on the board its a no brainer..He looked like a natural during all the drills though.....And he should hold up fine at LT...and with Raiola at center, Backus at gurad and Gosder at RT...the last piece is a guard.

33. Rey Maualuga , ILB, USC.

I kow what your thinking...NO WAY IN HELL HE DROPS THIS FAR....But he ran poorly...has HUGE chracter concerns and I dont think many teams will want to take him high and give alot of guranteed cash to this headache....Which bolds well for the Lions who basically have 3 first round picks...Rey is explosive in the run game....can intercept passes...he can rush the passer...hes just a mean nasty guy on the field..he hits to send a message....and I mean lets face it....A linebacking corp with Ernie Sims at Outside, Maualuga in the middle, and Aaron Curry on the outside would be down right DEADLY.

Witht the rest of the Lons picks they should draft a cornerback, wide receiver, safety, running back, and defensive line.

University of Michigan

RichRod will win the Big Ten title.....You watch.
NMUBurner22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:33 AM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

Rey Maualuga won't fall that far.
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:35 AM    (permalink
NMUBurner22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
Rey Maualuga won't fall that far.
If hes not there....Laurenitis will be.

University of Michigan

Old 02-24-2009, 12:41 AM    (permalink
tolnaballa
Rookie

tolnaballa smells like sex panther.tolnaballa smells like sex panther.

They won't draft 2 linebackers out of their first 3 picks. For a team that went 0-16 they have much bigger needs. I would say they will try to fill quarterback, tackle, linebacker, and corners witt one of the picks. They they will take the best player available after they draft their biggest need, and identity at qaurterback.

1. Stafford
2. Oher
3. Laurentis or Alphonso Smith/DJ Moore
tolnaballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:41 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That would be great to add talent at those positions of need, but what about quarterback? They have holes at LB but I doubt they take 2 with their first 3 picks because they have so many other needs. Curry-Maualuga-Sims would be a crazy LB corps but they can't afford to take 2 LBs with their first 3 picks.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:50 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Stafford
20. Andre Smith/Michael Oher
33. Connor Barwin
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:50 AM    (permalink
benjamink15
Rookie

benjamink15 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMUBurner22 View Post
Heres what my Lions should do:

1. Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forrest.

Coach Jim would have his Keith Bulluck...to team up with Ernie Sims....Curry is a guy who can stop the run...defend the pass...and cover a tight end or running back if need be...He can chase down anyone from behind and hes an intimidating presence and a leader on the field..And he brings the lumber when he hits. He alone automatically makes the Lions defense better.

20. Michael Oher , OT, Ole Miss.

He dissapointed at the combine....ans far as his forty and bench press which means he will free fall in the draft. At 20 if Oher is on the board its a no brainer..He looked like a natural during all the drills though.....And he should hold up fine at LT...and with Raiola at center, Backus at gurad and Gosder at RT...the last piece is a guard.

33. Rey Maualuga , ILB, USC.

I kow what your thinking...NO WAY IN HELL HE DROPS THIS FAR....But he ran poorly...has HUGE chracter concerns and I dont think many teams will want to take him high and give alot of guranteed cash to this headache....Which bolds well for the Lions who basically have 3 first round picks...Rey is explosive in the run game....can intercept passes...he can rush the passer...hes just a mean nasty guy on the field..he hits to send a message....and I mean lets face it....A linebacking corp with Ernie Sims at Outside, Maualuga in the middle, and Aaron Curry on the outside would be down right DEADLY.

Witht the rest of the Lons picks they should draft a cornerback, wide receiver, safety, running back, and defensive line.
Um what happened to Jordon Dizon? Two linebackers early in the draft is highly unlikely imo
benjamink15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:54 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If hes not there....Laurenitis will be.
Soooooooo you think there is only one team in the first round that needs a middle linebacker?
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:05 AM    (permalink
NMUBurner22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamink15 View Post
Um what happened to Jordon Dizon? Two linebackers early in the draft is highly unlikely imo
Dizon, Paris Lenon are crap.

Who cares who the previous regime drafted..this is Mayhews and Jims team now.

University of Michigan

Old 02-24-2009, 01:05 AM    (permalink
NMUBurner22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Soooooooo you think there is only one team in the first round that needs a middle linebacker?
Ofcourse not..but Maualauga and Laurenittis did not help themselves at all.

University of Michigan

Old 02-24-2009, 01:06 AM    (permalink
NMUBurner22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolnaballa View Post
They won't draft 2 linebackers out of their first 3 picks. For a team that went 0-16 they have much bigger needs. I would say they will try to fill quarterback, tackle, linebacker, and corners witt one of the picks. They they will take the best player available after they draft their biggest need, and identity at qaurterback.

1. Stafford
2. Oher
3. Laurentis or Alphonso Smith/DJ Moore
Im loving the ASlphonso Smith/ DJ Moore picks.....at 33 especially.

University of Michigan

Old 02-24-2009, 01:07 AM    (permalink
Solomon
Veteran

Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.

I guess personally this is what I feel they should do.

#1: Matt Stafford - grabbing a top QB prospect is something I don't think the Lions can turn down. And as much as people keep saying that the Lions are a terrible situation for a young QB to go to I disagree. They have an elite WR, a good young RB and a solid young possesion WR.

They could use a TE, an OT and a guard but that really isn't too far off once they get that all-important signal caller.

#20: Big Board (based solely on guys who I think could realistically be there so no BJ Raji or Eugene Monroe here)
1. Mike Oher - They could really use an OT and many think Oher's slipping. If Oher falls this far he would be a steal.
2. Andre Smith - Another OT who might be slipping but i still love. If he doesn't end up being a good LT he should still make an excellent guard and the Lions need help inside too.
3. Rey Maualuga - A big thumper that they could use in the middle of their defense. Should be a good fit for the new defensive scheme they plan on running.
4. DJ Moore - IMO the second best coverman available. He would give the Lions a playmaker in the secondary and a huge boost to their return game as well.
5. Vontae Davis - If Moore is off the board I think that Davis might be good value at this spot as well.

#33 Big Board (would also obviously depend alot on who was chosen at #20)
1. William Beatty - If they still haven't gotten their OT of the future Beatty would be a nice choice here.
2. Eben Britton - Ditto above.
3. Alphonso Smith - A talented corner that could help out from day one.
4. Michael Johnson - A bit of an enigma due to the accusations that he doesn't play hard every down, but has the tools to give the Lions a much needed pass rusher.
5. Jared Cook - Not a true need but a TE weapon like Cook would really open things up for CJ and Kevin Smith and would give their young franchise QB a nice safety valve.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:10 AM    (permalink
NMUBurner22
Rookie

The Lions are not taking Stafford number 1....UNLESS he looks ike Petyon Manning at his pro day other then that its Aaron Curry or Jason Smith from Baylor.

They moved Backus from LT to LG.

They are cutting Kitna March 3rd....Keeping Stanton and Orlovsky is testing free agency.

They re did Culpeppers deal....Michael Furry already told the radio stations that the team informed them that Daunete would be the starter.

All that set ups for them to take a LT.....or best player in the draft which is Aaron Curry.

Freeman or Sanchez is a possiblity in the first round...but not at 1.

University of Michigan

Old 02-24-2009, 01:12 AM    (permalink
NMUBurner22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon View Post
I guess personally this is what I feel they should do.

#1: Matt Stafford - grabbing a top QB prospect is something I don't think the Lions can turn down. And as much as people keep saying that the Lions are a terrible situation for a young QB to go to I disagree. They have an elite WR, a good young RB and a solid young possesion WR.

They could use a TE, an OT and a guard but that really isn't too far off once they get that all-important signal caller.

#20: Big Board (based solely on guys who I think could realistically be there so no BJ Raji or Eugene Monroe here)
1. Mike Oher - They could really use an OT and many think Oher's slipping. If Oher falls this far he would be a steal.
2. Andre Smith - Another OT who might be slipping but i still love. If he doesn't end up being a good LT he should still make an excellent guard and the Lions need help inside too.
3. Rey Maualuga - A big thumper that they could use in the middle of their defense. Should be a good fit for the new defensive scheme they plan on running.
4. DJ Moore - IMO the second best coverman available. He would give the Lions a playmaker in the secondary and a huge boost to their return game as well.
5. Vontae Davis - If Moore is off the board I think that Davis might be good value at this spot as well.

#33 Big Board (would also obviously depend alot on who was chosen at #20)
1. William Beatty - If they still haven't gotten their OT of the future Beatty would be a nice choice here.
2. Eben Britton - Ditto above.
3. Alphonso Smith - A talented corner that could help out from day one.
4. Michael Johnson - A bit of an enigma due to the accusations that he doesn't play hard every down, but has the tools to give the Lions a much needed pass rusher.
5. Jared Cook - Not a true need but a TE weapon like Cook would really open things up for CJ and Kevin Smith and would give their young franchise QB a nice safety valve.

Man down here in Detroit they are talking about Raji , Curry or Jason Smith.

But they ahve been meeting with Stafford.....

The only way Im cool with them taking Stafford is if we can keep him off his back...or he will be the next David Carr and Alex Smith....a good QB inc olege who played behind terrible lines in the pros.

University of Michigan

Old 02-24-2009, 01:15 AM    (permalink
Solomon
Veteran

Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
The Lions are not taking Stafford number 1....UNLESS he looks ike Petyon Manning at his pro day other then that its Aaron Curry or Jason Smith from Baylor.

They moved Backus from LT to LG.

They are cutting Kitna March 3rd....Keeping Stanton and Orlovsky is testing free agency.

They re did Culpeppers deal....Michael Furry already told the radio stations that the team informed them that Daunete would be the starter.

All that set ups for them to take a LT.....or best player in the draft which is Aaron Curry.

Freeman or Sanchez is a possiblity in the first round...but not at 1.
I dunno. I realize that Culpepper will be the starting QB in September but they still need a long term solution and it would be wise to have Stafford sit for a year anyway. If Culpepper and Stanton are staying and Kitna and Orlovsky are leaving doesn't that open up a QB spot?

I agree that they should go BPA, but Stafford just might be the BPA in this draft. I certainly don't think Jason Smith is the best player in this draft, do you? Curry probably is but can they afford to grab a LB first overall?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:21 AM    (permalink
NMUBurner22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon View Post
I dunno. I realize that Culpepper will be the starting QB in September but they still need a long term solution and it would be wise to have Stafford sit for a year anyway. If Culpepper and Stanton are staying and Kitna and Orlovsky are leaving doesn't that open up a QB spot?

I agree that they should go BPA, but Stafford just might be the BPA in this draft. I certainly don't think Jason Smith is the best player in this draft, do you? Curry probably is but can they afford to grab a LB first overall?
Jason Smith was the star of the combine for the OT's...but the knock on him is that he played in a spread-zone scheme at Baylor and hes not that much of a mauler hes a finesse LT...and hes also not cut fro the same cloth as Jake Long who went 1 in 08 and Thomas who went 3 in 2007.

Im starting to think the consensus si that Curry is the best Player in the draft..and the Lions had the WORST defense in the NFL last year and Coach Scwartz was the Titans D coordinator the last 8 years..I mean it makes sense....I mean look at how Bulluck plays in the Tiatans scheme..but then again Bulluck was the 30th pick in the draft.

I thnk Curry will have a pro day to show himself off again.....and Staffords pro day will decide whos goes number 1...Stafford or Curry.

University of Michigan

Old 02-24-2009, 07:15 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Man down here in Detroit they are talking about Raji , Curry or Jason Smith.

But they ahve been meeting with Stafford.....

The only way Im cool with them taking Stafford is if we can keep him off his back...or he will be the next David Carr and Alex Smith....a good QB inc olege who played behind terrible lines in the pros.
The Detroit brass apparently took Curry out for dinner a couple of nights ago too...

I've changed my mind a couple of times as far as what the picks will likely be. I'm now of the opinion that the Lions will go Aaron Curry at #1 for two specific reasons: They obviously need another playmaker on defense, and just as importantly they CANNOT afford to have this pick bust on them! It would be a PR nightmare...this team needs to re-build its image off the field just as much as on it.

As I've stated on another thread, I'd like to see them draft:

#1 Aaron Curry: Safest pick, will have immediate impact, probable perennial pro-bowler.
#20 Vontae Davis / Alphonso Smith: CB HAS to be addressed. Good place to start.
#33 Duke Robinson: The run game is clearly going to be of huge importance this year. We need a road grader on the line to help with that.

I'd also really like to see them draft Terrance Taylor in the third. I think that he's under-rated.

It will be interesting to see who they sign in free agency too.
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:55 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Stafford-overhaul on D will take time, stafford can mature with the D to equal a championship contender in a few years.

2. Vontae Davis-i want talent in the secondary. we need a better pass rush but there are creative ways of helping that.

3. William Beatty- Jason Smith Lite

i also want a top DT after those guys. and also a good pass catching TE to help take some pressure off. also, more line depth across both lines.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Matthew Stafford
2. Peria Jerry / Best CB available
3. William Beatty / Duke Robinson
Old 02-24-2009, 01:56 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think I would ever take a Linebacker #1. If you pick #1 overall, you likely have bigger needs than Outside Linebacker.. like QB, LT, DE.

We also have poor DT play, which would limit what Curry can do right away.

This draft shouldn't be about picking players that will have an immediate impact anyways. We should be looking for players that can play major roles on the team in 3+ years.. Guys we can actually sign to a *gasp* second contract!

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:36 PM    (permalink
Todd Bertuzzi
All-Pro

Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Stafford
20. bpa(OT,DE,CB,LB,DT)
33. bpa(OT,DE,CB,LB,DT)
Old 02-24-2009, 02:55 PM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

1. Stafford - franchise QB
1. William Beatty OT - underrated, won't be in there at #33
2. Louis Delmas S - i love this guy
3. Darius Butler CB - this is hoping
3. Scott Mckillop ILB - i love this guy
5. Louis Vasquez OG - all love
6. Roy Miller NT - small but powerful and quick
6. Sammie Stroughter WR - electric

Last edited by 5 Fingers of Death : 02-24-2009 at 02:57 PM.
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:40 PM    (permalink
JamminJonny
Rookie

JamminJonny hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

1) Aaron Curry -- A leader and play maker to help overhaul the leagues worst defense. The most bust-proof pick in the draft, the importance of which can't be understated.

20) Alphonso Smith -- Another natural play maker, this time in a secondary that features no starting caliber CB's.

33) Duke Robinson -- A large, nasty young man who will be an important piece of the OL moving forward.
JamminJonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:52 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is just a random thought, but the only way I'd pass on Stafford is if we traded for a QB. Not for Cassell, but I'd entertain acquiring McNabb if the price wasn't too high (most I'd give up is Dallas' 3rd Rounder).. This would allow us to either pick up Eugene Monroe or trade down for Aaron Curry, Jason Smith, or whoever.

That would probably delay the First Round QB for another year or two.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:45 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ya'll drafted Gosder Cherilus at #17 last year, so did he just not show enough to prove that he can possibly be a LT at the NFL level or is taking a OT at #1 this year just the safer pick and letting Cherilus stay RT?

I haven't heard much on how Cherilus did last season, but given the situation he was in, I dunno how accurate of an analysis can be made.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote