Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 02-24-2009, 06:18 PM    (permalink
familyguy555
Pro Bowler

familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
Ya'll drafted Gosder Cherilus at #17 last year, so did he just not show enough to prove that he can possibly be a LT at the NFL level or is taking a OT at #1 this year just the safer pick and letting Cherilus stay RT?

I haven't heard much on how Cherilus did last season, but given the situation he was in, I dunno how accurate of an analysis can be made.
I'm pretty sure Gosder was never going to be a NFL LT, and we knew this when drafting him.

sig made by BoneKrusher
familyguy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:24 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
1. Matthew Stafford
2. Peria Jerry / Best CB available
3. William Beatty / Duke Robinson
I like this the most.

Every LBer will be crap playing behind our DTs.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:44 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

MONROE
MAULILUGA
DJ MOORE

4 glaring needs LT, ILB, CB & KR ... and 3 VERY talented players.
Backus moves to guard, Monroe completes the left side.
Rey is the QB of the defense for the next 10 years. Who cares about 40 times, some guys are just football players!!
Moore is the KR we do not have and instant #1 CB you need to keep average QB's in the division from having career days against the Lions.

CURRY
DUKE ROBINSON
ZIGGY HOOD

This epitimizes "stop the run/run the football" ... Curry & Robinson are the consensus #1 players at their positions in this draft and I love building with beef up front. Hood is a beast who always seems to be in on plays (especially in the other teams back field) This instantly fills the hole left when we traded Big Baby ...(sorry Darby!) plus all 3 are high character guys which is a + for Schwartz & Mayhew's reputations.
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Lions2342
Rookie

Lions2342 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

#1 Eugene Monroe- Our line has been awful for what seems like forever. I think we need someone who can be our LT for the next 10-12 years. I think he is the best tackle in the draft. Having Monroe and Cherilus is definitely someone to get excited about.

#20 Peria Jerry- Other than BJ Raji, I think he is the best interior linemen in the draft. If we are able to get help on both of our lines with the first two picks, it would go a long way to helping us. That being said, there is always someone that slips in the draft.

#33 Alphonso Smith- He is a little undersized, but so what. He did nothing but make plays at Wake and I would absolutely love to have him. We are in desperate need of a corner, but Jenkins will be gone by #20 and I'm not sold on Davis. I would be very happy if we were able to get him at this point.
Lions2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:02 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions2342 View Post
#1 Eugene Monroe- Our line has been awful for what seems like forever. I think we need someone who can be our LT for the next 10-12 years. I think he is the best tackle in the draft. Having Monroe and Cherilus is definitely someone to get excited about.
#1 Matt Stafford- Our QB's have been awful for what seems like forever. I think we need someone who can be our QB for the next 10-12 years. I think he is the best QB in the draft. Having Stafford is definitely something to get excited about.

What makes LT more of a need than QB for us?

Last edited by WMD : 02-25-2009 at 03:05 PM.
WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:37 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1a. Stafford i really dont think i need an explanation here.

1b. Peria Jerry build the trenches

2. Best OT. Im starting to think Andre Smith may be here and if he is we better take him.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:33 PM    (permalink
Lions2342
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
#1 Matt Stafford- Our QB's have been awful for what seems like forever. I think we need someone who can be our QB for the next 10-12 years. I think he is the best QB in the draft. Having Stafford is definitely something to get excited about.

What makes LT more of a need than QB for us?
I also think Stafford is the best QB in the draft, but I don't think he is good enough to warrent the #1 pick. It is my opinion that with the amount of money you have to invest in a qb at that pick, he better be far and away the best player in the draft. I don't think Stafford is this. I think LT is a bigger need because regardless of who our qb is, they are not going to be very sucessful running for their life or on their back.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:48 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope the Lion draft NMUburner at 33, you can have the power running of Smith and the spped NMUburner.

I think at 1 the go LT, 20 they Dtackle if they can, if not then WR. And then with 33 pick they go Qb maybe line again, get a guard/center.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:53 PM    (permalink
TheDoctor8
Rookie

TheDoctor8 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TheDoctor8 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions2342 View Post
I also think Stafford is the best QB in the draft, but I don't think he is good enough to warrent the #1 pick. It is my opinion that with the amount of money you have to invest in a qb at that pick, he better be far and away the best player in the draft. I don't think Stafford is this. I think LT is a bigger need because regardless of who our qb is, they are not going to be very sucessful running for their life or on their back.
I looked up the contracts of the last two #1 picks, one was a quarterback and the other a left tackle. Russell signed a 6-year 68 million dollar contract with 31.5 guaranteed. Long signed a 5-year 57.5 million dollar with 30 million guaranteed. Basically the same contract, and with the economy the way it is it would be difficult to see a huge jump in the number. So the reasoning of it being to much money to draft a QB is bull.
TheDoctor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:20 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really liked what I saw of Sean Smith at the combine. If Vontae wasn't available at #20, I'd really look at Smith there. I can't get away from Duke Robinson at #33 though.
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:41 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

sean smith is a stud. i'm sure he'd learn alot going up against calvin everyday too.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:39 PM    (permalink
Lions2342
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor8 View Post
I looked up the contracts of the last two #1 picks, one was a quarterback and the other a left tackle. Russell signed a 6-year 68 million dollar contract with 31.5 guaranteed. Long signed a 5-year 57.5 million dollar with 30 million guaranteed. Basically the same contract, and with the economy the way it is it would be difficult to see a huge jump in the number. So the reasoning of it being to much money to draft a QB is bull.
You are right, it's virtually the same contract, but Russell was picked the year before Long and he still makes more. The number 1 pick usually makes more than the pick in the previous year. Matt Ryan was the Number 3 pick and he had a 6-year 72 million dollar contract with 34.75 guaranteed, while the year before Joe Thomas signed a 5-year 43 million dollar contract with 24 Million guaranteed. This will be the contract that Stafford will base his off of. Plus, add in the fact that he will be the number #1 pick not the 3rd and it will be a little higher.

The economy could have a factor in how much the pick gets, but it also could not. I honestly don't see Matthew Stafford settling for less because of the bad economy. Whoever we pick, we better get them signed before the draft to ensure they will be in camp. A holdout would be AWFUL!!

I agree with the rest. Sean Smith is a stud. He seemed like he was all over the field against Alabama. I wouldn't mind taking a look at him.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:19 PM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You would think that Stafford and his agent would be smart enough to see the benefits of signing a early contract like Ryan. Then look what happen to J. Russell and how much it killed his rookie year. He is going to want to start (every player does) and he knows any chance of him starting as a rookie must come without a holdout.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:25 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Stafford or Raji.
20. Andre Smith (That's right I said it)
33. Best CB available

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:29 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's a group mock draft going on in the "mock draft" forum (go figure) and I'm picking for the Lions.

So far I've done the following:

#1 Matthew Stafford

*Trade: Detroit trades #20,#82 and #129 to San Fran for #10*

#10 Andre Smith

Thoughts so far?
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:21 PM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This are my moves so far in a mock offseason (another site)

I've signed QB Jeff Garcia, WR Malcom Floyd, LT Jordon Gross, SS Sean Jones

Traded for DE Jamaal Anderson - gave up a 6th and moved back to #24

I've drafted Stafford, Peria Jerry, and Percy Harvin
Old 02-26-2009, 10:22 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey guys.. I'm a Packer fan, but I'm interested in what you all think the Lions would/should do. After seeing some flashes from Culpepper and his restructured deal don't you think they should go LB/OT with their 1st pick and possibly wait until next draft for their franchise QB? I mean with Bradford, McCoy, maybe Tim Tebow, and some other names, coming in, won't next draft give them a couple more QB's to look at? Either that or sit and hope Sanchez falls?

I was listening to Mcshay and Mel Kiper battling back and forth on their PodCast the other day with Kiper saying boom yes take Stafford, and McShay saying build from within and passon Stafford...

Just curious.

Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:08 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noondog View Post
There's a group mock draft going on in the "mock draft" forum (go figure) and I'm picking for the Lions.

So far I've done the following:

#1 Matthew Stafford

*Trade: Detroit trades #20,#82 and #129 to San Fran for #10*

#10 Andre Smith

Thoughts so far?
Honestly after the combine I wouldn't trade up for Andre Smith.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:32 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Matt Stafford
20. Rey Maualuga, Any Cornerback, Larry English, Aaron Maybin, Peria Jerry.. Basically, Best Defensive Player available.
33. Duke Robinson, Shawn Nelson, or Best Defensive Player Available