Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:33 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Cowboys not gonna spent money in FA?

Quote:
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said the team could be quiet in free agency this offseason because of the potential for an uncapped season in 2010.

Does that mean Dallas won’t pursue LB Ray Lewis, who is expected to soon hit the free-agent market?

“It would surprise me to see a big splash,” Jones told the Dallas Morning News.

The newspaper had more on the development:
The NFL is entering the last year of the salary cap under the current collective bargaining agreement, so Jones is getting ready for 2010, when he believes there won’t be a cap.
“That uncapped year has a lot of ramifications because it’s the initiation of no labor agreement at all,” Jones said Sunday during a break from the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. “That has a real impact in what you want to do in an uncapped year.
“You could burn your britches for the next five years if you’re not careful in an uncapped year.”
While Jones doesn’t expect a cap in 2010, rules are in place to keep teams from spending wildly then, such as a limited ability to sign players for teams that make the playoffs in 2009.

Lewis, the longtime anchor of the aggressive Baltimore Ravens defense, has expressed interest in playing for the Cowboys, according to Dallas LB DeMarcus Ware.

“When we played Ray Lewis and Baltimore at the end of the season,” Ware told the Cowboys’ website, “he came over and pointed to my helmet. He said, ‘I want to wear this star on my helmet, that’s my dream … that’s my dream.’ When we got to the Pro Bowl, he did it again.”

But after Jones’ latest statement, Lewis might not have the chance to live out that dream.
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/23/cowb...rsue-lb-lewis/

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:03 AM    (permalink
Yatta!
Veteran

Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just like they weren't gonna trade for a WR?

Sig by Eaglez.Fan
Yatta! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:09 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yatta!
Just like they weren't gonna trade for a WR?
When were we not going to trade for a WR?

We don't have enough money under the salary cap to support a push for Ray Lewis in FA as well as the 11 odd draft picks we will have this year. As well as signing D.Ware to a longterm contract.

That was always going to be the problem with offering all those contract extensions last season. T.O's new contract which makes his cap figure for the coming year 9 MILL. Barber's new deal which was a gross overpayment. Flozell's new contract which saved money last year but will hurt us as the years go on due to his deteriorating play.

If we somehow get a deal with Ray Lewis done. I will be very very surprised.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:18 AM    (permalink
Yatta!
Veteran

Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post
When were we not going to trade for a WR?
It was widely reported that Jones said that he was definitely not going to trade for a WR just a few days before getting Roy Williams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter King, this weeks MMQB
But I remind you of this: Last year, days before he traded for wide receiver Roy Williams, he told me he wouldn't be trading for a wide receiver. So stay tuned.

Sig by Eaglez.Fan
Yatta! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:56 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its a good thing English isn't your first language GOW;)...

This makes me a little relieved as an Eagles fan, though I won't be totally relieved until Ray signs on a team for sure. Ray would be scary for the NFC East teams, even though he isn't the player he was 2 or 3 years ago, he is still an elite ILB in any system, and would give the Cowboys that defender that would take that defense to the next level, potentially. But what scares me the most about him being a Cowboy are his leadership responsibilities. If the Cowboys have "that one guy" that will make everybody repsonsible for their actions, that could be the one thing that takes the Cowboys to the next level, and that isn't even factoring in him as a player. I will say this, if the Cowboys sign Ray Lewis in the off-season, I (and the rest of the Eagles, Giants, Skins fans) will not be a happy camper...

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:22 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ray Lewis isnt going anywhere. Demarcus Ware is dreaming. Ray is staying put in baltimore :).
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:09 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jerry Jones is saving his money for LeBron in 2010.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:42 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
Jerry Jones is saving his money for LeBron in 2010.
Oh God, that was funny. +rep.

Anyways, I don't really understand this. I'd rather get some players when there's still a cap, wouldn't the value be much better? When there's a cap, you don't have to pay ridiculous amounts for players, no? Next year would be the free agency I'd like to avoid.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:52 AM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

At the end of the day Cowboys will sign Ray Lewis.
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:58 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ray Lewis basically came out and said he wasn't gonna play for anything less than his market value, so that pretty much shoots down any dreams us Cowboys fans might have of Lewis in a Cowboys uni. We all knew Dallas wasn't gonna spend much in FA this year, it's been known quite a while already. Chris Canty might walk for free because we won't afford him, so we might make a small signing to help shore up our bad d-line.

I really hope his dream really is to wear a star on his helmet, that way he can give us a small discount. God knows we need that type of leadership on this team.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:00 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Ray Lewis basically came out and said he wasn't gonna play for anything less than his market value, so that pretty much shoots down any dreams us Cowboys fans might have of Lewis in a Cowboys uni. We all knew Dallas wasn't gonna spend much in FA this year, it's been known quite a while already. Chris Canty might walk for free because we won't afford him, so we might make a small signing to help shore up our bad d-line.

I really hope his dream really is to wear a star on his helmet, that way he can give us a small discount. God knows we need that type of leadership on this team.
Is Canty a UFA?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:02 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

*Insert Michael Vick/random convict to Cowboys joke*

Let's just get that out the way :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:03 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Is Canty a UFA?
I believe so, yes.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:10 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
Oh God, that was funny. +rep.

Anyways, I don't really understand this. I'd rather get some players when there's still a cap, wouldn't the value be much better? When there's a cap, you don't have to pay ridiculous amounts for players, no? Next year would be the free agency I'd like to avoid.
But when your the cowboys and Jerry Jones, you can afford to pay for a good deal of those huge salaries, he's just going with the same strategy he would if the cap were in place for the next few years, just as I would do so you don't get screwed when its brought back...

Old 02-24-2009, 11:14 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Jerry Jones won't overpay regardless of there being a cap or not. This year there just isn't many guys out there in our price range that could come in and make a bigger impact than the ones we already have. It makes no sense for Jerry to screw with the cap in hopes that there's an uncapped year next year, you just can't run that risk. We need to have that space for Ware, who will take a huge chunk of it pretty soon.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:15 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Jerry Jones won't overpay regardless of there being a cap or not. This year there just isn't many guys out there in our price range that could come in and make a bigger impact than the ones we already have. It makes no sense for Jerry to screw with the cap in hopes that there's an uncapped year next year, you just can't run that risk. We need to have that space for Ware, who will take a huge chunk of it pretty soon.
You and I are thinking basically along the same lines. I was just trying to say that Jones can afford to get those guys if there is no cap, I agree in thinking he won't overpay, regardless.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:17 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
You and I are thinking basically along the same lines. I was just trying to say that Jones can afford to get those guys if there is no cap, I agree in thinking he won't overpay, regardless.
Yeah, i agree. The money isn't an issue, and never will be if there is no cap, but Jerry isn't stupid with his money. He's no Dan Snyder.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:25 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Is there anyplace where Dan Snyder doesn't get bashed? I mean his wife probably even makes fun of him...

Old 02-24-2009, 01:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why would we even want Ray Lewis? We got Bobby Carpenter. Psh.

There's a little game of cat and mouse going on... that's all. Ray understands the reputation Jerry has a reputation of shelling out cash and the Boys have a need at ILB. He says he wants to play for Jerry only to boost up his paycheck from Baltimore. Jerry is smarter than to be used as a pawn though. Coming out and saying we won't spend money... that doesn't help Ray get more $$$ from Baltimore. But it does put Ray on the hot seat. If he's truly sincere about playing for the Cowboys, then Jerry will be more than happy to give him a reasonable contract... The Cowboys are roughly 12M under the cap and can make a move if they want. Last year, the only notable FA they brought in was Zach Thomas. He's gone now, and I could see Jerry signing 1 guy again. We have 9 draft picks and could get 11 depending on other compensation. We don't HAVE to address our needs in FA.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
Its a good thing English isn't your first language GOW;)...
What is that supposed to mean

Old 02-24-2009, 01:57 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

don't take his word at face value.

he said he wouldn't trade for Roy Williams....
Old 02-24-2009, 08:11 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
don't take his word at face value.

he said he wouldn't trade for Roy Williams....
Nothing GMs ever say to the media is 100% true, so take it as you wish. I don't understand why people keep bringing up the Roy Williams thing. We paid a crap load as it was, imagine if Jerry had come out and said we were looking for WR help. The Lions would have bent us over.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:40 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
What is that supposed to mean
Cowboys not gonna spent money FA...

Just giving you ****...

Old 02-26-2009, 10:46 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

oh lol didnt even see that

Old 02-26-2009, 11:25 AM    (permalink
JFLO
Pro Bowler

JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All I had to read was the first sentence of that article to know it wasn't true. Jerry Jones saying he isn't going to spend money is like saying the Yankees aren't going to spend money.

I say they at least make one big offer to a free agent or make a decent trade proposal to Carolina for Julius Peppers. They are bound to make a big splash, especially with the cap limit just increasing.
JFLO is offline   Reply With Quote