Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 02-24-2009, 10:34 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Is Stafford A Franchise QB?

I'm finding that the biggest point of contention between those who think that Detroit should take Stafford at #1 and those that don't is a difference in opinion as to whether or not he is a potential franchise QB.

So is he or is he simply the best QB of the draft class?
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:40 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nobody can predict with certainty whether a QB will be a 'franchise QB' before he ever even gets drafted...

The whole "He's only the best QB in this draft class" argument was being used for Matt Ryan by many people last year btw.
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:58 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

More a question of whether he has the potential expected of a #1 pick to become one, rather than predicting whether or not he will be one.

Just another debate to have while we try to fill time over the next two months.....
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:51 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everything you look for in a franchise QB he has. He does have areas he needs to improve, but so does every QB coming out of college. Will he live up to the potential in the NFL nobody knows the answer to that at this point. If your making a list of a franchise QB coming out of college he has everything you need.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:46 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he played against very good comp. his whole career and excelled. Seems like a gun-slinger. People doubt his decision making but he will learn. On a lot of his INTs he through I saw bad routes. He is a three year starter, sure he didn't stay for all four years, but when you have been on the field for 3 years is it really that important? I personally see him as one of the best QB prospects in the last few years.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:01 PM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

I believe he is the best quarterback in 2009 and will be the best at his position in 2010 if he stayed one more year. I think his decision making has improved tremendously his junior year cutting his INT to TD rate down to 25 TDs and 10 INTs with a 61.4% comp percentage. I think he is changing quickly from being a gun slinger to a guy who you can rely on.
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would put him ahead of Jay Cutler coming out of college. We'll see how going to a bad team plays out but i think he's for real. Would have liked to see him throw at the combine, i think it would have calmed some of the Lions faithful a bit.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:40 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think, and have all along, that Stafford is simply the top QB prospect in this draft class. I don't really like him as a "franchise" QB. I'd rather have Bomar in the 3rd or 4th. I think he's a better QB and would be graded higher if he'd stayed in Division IA.
________
FaeKitty

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 06:54 AM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I think, and have all along, that Stafford is simply the top QB prospect in this draft class. I don't really like him as a "franchise" QB. I'd rather have Bomar in the 3rd or 4th. I think he's a better QB and would be graded higher if he'd stayed in Division IA.

I think you're right about Bomar being rated higher if he had stayed in Division 1 no doubt but are you saying he's in Stafford's class?
Old 02-24-2009, 07:30 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I heard today that from the past 10 #1 picks there have been only 5 Pro Bowl appearaces produced!! Said player would almost instantly get #1 player at his position type $$$ and Stafford imo does not rank up there, especially given the limited resources the Lions are offering him with on the field talent.

EUGENE MONROE IS THE PICK. BUILD THE FOUNDATION TO THE HOUSE FIRST THEN DECORATE THE INTERIOR!
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:34 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Depends on how you define franchise QB.

Do I think he can be a longterm (like 7-8 years) solution for us at the QB position while possibly making a couple Pro Bowls?

Yes.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:23 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

my knock on stafford is his preferred name. Matthew Stafford. It's not Thomas Brady, but then again its not like Peyton goes by Pey Manning. i actually prefer John Stafford. it makes him sound more professional and there aren't any tricks to his name. we could also give him a nickname of Comeback Jack then.

other than that his decision making is better than JaMarcus, he's better than Brady Quinn, Aaron Rodgers, Alex Smith, Leinart, and a slew of other recent top QB prospects. pick him and sit him on the bench for a year and a half. let Daunte do the heavy lifting until he's ready and we should have a pretty good environment for stafford in 3 years.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:46 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I don't understand why so many people act like our offense is so far away from being decent. I mean it looks that way because of the way we played last year, but we really only need a few pieces. Take Stafford #1 and then draft a guard in the 3rd Round. Then next year take a left tackle early, slide Backus to guard, and grab a #2 wide receiver in the 2nd or 3rd Round. Suddenly our offense is a pretty good situation for a young quarterback to be in.

Obviously it's not that simple. We do have to pick players that will be successful, which is easier said than done. We already have a top receiver, a pretty good running back, and a decent right tackle. As long as the franchise makes the correct moves these next few seasons we could be in solid shape. Our offense is much closer than our defense is.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:04 AM    (permalink
Mykdaneck

How about we all remember Leinart? This guy was gonna go #1 and everyone was falling all over him and then he went back to school and got drafted #10 and he....sucks. He played at a fantastic school against fantastic competition so that is no barometer for success in the NFL.
This is a draft the Mayhew absolutely CANNOT screw up and therefore cannot gamble his team's immediate future on Stafford. Stafford is good and may be great but there have been too many Leinarts,Youngs,Georges,etc. for this to be the Lion's pick. They will go with Curry.
Oh and Prowler, you are picking apart the guy's name? Yeah ok. Because it sounds more professional? I still laugh when I remember the silliness about Joey Harrington's name having to do with his failure.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:23 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You say drafting a bust at#1 will set the team back years. The team went 0-16 this year which was the worst in NFL history. Even if Stafford is a bust, if you draft good players with the next 4 pick your team will be better. The lions went 0-16 they can't get any worse. Don't take that the wrong way.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:34 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am so tired of the "There have been so many QB busts so let's not draft Stafford 1st overall because we need a sure fire pick" argument.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:37 AM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan View Post
You say drafting a bust at#1 will set the team back years. The team went 0-16 this year which was the worst in NFL history. Even if Stafford is a bust, if you draft good players with the next 4 pick your team will be better. The lions went 0-16 they can't get any worse. Don't take that the wrong way.
It could get worse, but we would have to break new ground to do so.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:59 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I am so tired of the "There have been so many QB busts so let's not draft Stafford 1st overall because we need a sure fire pick" argument.
Agreed.

Let's set precedent and take a Punter #1 overall. There is no history of a Punter being a bust when taken in the first round!

Win-Win?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:02 AM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Agreed.

Let's set precedent and take a Punter #1 overall. There is no history of a Punter being a bust when taken in the first round!

Win-Win?
Thats a tad extreme.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's one of the better prospects we have seen in some time IMO, he's a heck of a prospect and has everything you look for in a stud QB, and he's not a headcase, or totally full of himself.

I'd much rather have a stud QB and a mediocre LT than a stud LT and a mediocre QB.

If you grab an LT now, there's no guarantee there will even be a QB prospect as good as Stafford in some time, and their definitely isn't one next year.

Then, what if someone like Oher or Andre Smith slips to number 14 or so, and the Saints will be looking to trade down....

This year is DEEP in offensive linemen, no need to take one at #1 when their is a clear cut #1 QB, with top tier QB tools, and the next two are a clear drop off(Sanchez is getting overrated due to his "leadership" like every other player that plays for powerhouse programs.)

Take Stafford, get a linemen with either 21 or 33(or use one to move up) and and try to go defense for most of the way unless you see some glaring BPAs.

The Lions are in terrific position, I don't think the Lions line is nearly as bad as some are making it, and I think it is only going to be better, even if no one is added, but guys like Cherilus should only be better, and it's not like Stafford won't have a nice running back and dominant receiver.

Get that special QB now, grab another offensive linemen somewhere in the top 33, I want to follow this team for a long time, don't disappoint me Mayhew :D
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:17 PM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

Good point it does seem like every 1st round QB with a average (or above avg.) arm that wins a lot of games in college. Can get by in the NFL due to his "leadership". Just because a guy has a big arm doesn't mean he isn't a leader and isn't accurate.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:27 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

I must say... even though I'm in the camp to draft someone other than Stafford, I wouldn't be upset if they did pick him. I want to see him succeed and I like the kid's moxie.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...902250357/1004

Quote:
"I'm being completely honest, and it has nothing to do with money -- I would love to go to Detroit," Stafford told King, echoing comments he made in a 15-minute news conference earlier Friday at the combine. "My friends say, 'C'mon, gimme a break.' But I'm a competitive guy. The Lions have passionate fans, a great stadium, and I'd be throwing to the biggest freak (Calvin Johnson), with the most talent, of any receiver in the NFL."
and then...

Quote:
The Lions' top brass, including head coach Jim Schwartz, had a two-hour dinner with Stafford on Thursday night in Indianapolis. By all accounts, it went well. Well enough, in fact, that Stafford felt comfortable enough the next day to sneak up behind Lions president Tom Lewand and give him a bear hug, King reports.

"Come on!" Stafford told Lewand, laughing. "Let's go! I'm ready!"
He is either ballsy, or completely stupid. I could see that situation playing out so many ways in my head.

But if the Lions pick him, I can't wait to see what he can do.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Is this guy nuts? (wanting to play for the Lions). If he says he wants to be paid in Ford stock better have him drug tested.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:23 AM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Is this guy nuts? (wanting to play for the Lions). If he says he wants to be paid in Ford stock better have him drug tested.
I know. If he keeps up this behavior we might have to nickname him "Edsel".
Old 02-26-2009, 01:26 PM    (permalink
sunnyintheD
Rookie

sunnyintheD hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Completely agree. Was it someone on here that said look at the Vikes and Bears? They built a team first, and now they can't find a QB to win with that team. We're in the position to draft a top notch QB; we need to do it if management feels he is a quality QB prospect.
sunnyintheD is offline   Reply With Quote