Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:55 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyb81 View Post
Pretty much anything is a reach at this point, whether it's reaching for an individual player or a reach based on value.

If KC stays at 3, they basically will have to take a very good right tackle or inside LB, or reach for a player at a premium position like OLB or DT, even though the individual players may not warrant being picked that high.
Everette Brown isn't even the best prospect at his position, and taking him at #3 would be ludicrous.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:55 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see how Cassel has less potential than Stafford... He's a better athlete and a much harder worker.
________
Vapir portable vaporizer

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 06:58 AM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:56 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
What the hell does it matter. Quarterbacks have a longer career span than pretty much any other position, so if he can play, he can play.
Is this a joke? What does it matter? It matters. QBs don't play until they're 40 (not all of them anyway..) and our 2nd is basically a low 1st. There is still a lot of talent there.

Obviously I'm not a fan of this move as I think Cassel is a decent QB but won't ever be a franchise type QB. I think Stafford and Sanchez both have a lot more upside.

IF Stafford is there at 3 (which by all accounts he won't be) I think I'll be even more pissed about this.

I really hope he proves me wrong. I'd love to eat crow on this one, I just don't think I ever will.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
If it's a second round pick, I say New England got pretty ripped off. Great deal for Kansas City. I would expect a 2 and a 2 or 3 next year, but really I'd be looking for first-round value here, especially if Vrabel is included in the deal. However, this does end up freeing up ~$18 million in cap room that would allow New England to improve the rest of their roster. I expect New England to sign Leigh Bodden soon - he's a good fit.
Like i said before, how does this "free" up cap space? The 17 million of the franchise tag never even went against the cap. I'm sure they were making plans as if those 17 were never gonna get there because they were obviously actively looking for a trade partner.
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like it for the fact it did'nt cost us the 3rd pick.man which Patriot is Pioli going to trade for next?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:57 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I don't see how Cassel has less potential than Stafford... He's a better athlete and a much harder worker.
Because Stafford throws the ball much better than Cassel, which, last time I checked, is important for the position.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
adschofield
Pro Bowler

adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Whoa..Easy their Chief..Stafford has an almost uncapped potential...Cassel is good and is far less riskier, but Stafford has a higher ceiling.

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.
adschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If it does end up being a 2nd and conditional mid-late round pick next year that sounds like a good deal to me.

While I'm not sure I think Cassel will be all that productive, the same can be said about any 2nd round QB you draft and at least Cassel has proven he can be successful in the right situation. Good trade by the Chiefs if it works out.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
eazyb81
All-Pro

eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Everette Brown isn't even the best prospect at his position, and taking him at #3 would be ludicrous.
Disagree and you missed my point entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownsTown

If Chase Daniel finishes top 5 in the Heisman I'll cut my balls off.

2008 COTTON BOWL CHAMPIONS
eazyb81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:58 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

as long as we improve the OL and keep TG to go with Bowe Cassel will have some weapons to work with
adschofield
Pro Bowler

adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae-KC View Post
Is this a joke? What does it matter? It matters. QBs don't play until they're 40 (not all of them anyway..) and our 2nd is basically a low 1st. There is still a lot of talent there.

Obviously I'm not a fan of this move as I think Cassel is a decent QB but won't ever be a franchise type QB. I think Stafford and Sanchez both have a lot more upside.

IF Stafford is there at 3 (which by all accounts he won't be) I think I'll be even more pissed about this.
But Cassel is far less riskier and the acquisition allows us to address another need at #3.

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:

Matt Cassel was one of the best 5 AFC quarterbacks last season, and all you gave up for him was the 35th pick in the draft. You're kidding yourself if you think that at 35 you were gonna find someone that can step in right away and lead your team to a winning record (which Cassel is very capable of doing). You're most likely not gonna give him the type of money you would have given a quarterback at #3 (See Matt Ryan), and you're not risking bust potential as high as any incoming rookie QB.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:59 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Like i said before, how does this "free" up cap space? The 17 million of the franchise tag never even went against the cap. I'm sure they were making plans as if those 17 were never gonna get there because they were obviously actively looking for a trade partner.
It allows them to spend money they couldn't have before the trade, what are you talking about? Vrabel frees up 3 mil as well.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It frees $3.3 to trade Vrabel, and Cassel would have counted for ~$14.5 had New England not been able to find a trade partner for him. Because Cassel signed the franchise tender, New England had to go into that knowing they could potentially have $29 million or so dedicated to the QB position between Brady and Cassel and that handicaps what you can do - you don't want to go after a guy like DeAngelo Hall for $40-50 million knowing you might end up being way over the cap after Cassel's number goes into effect.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:00 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So is it for sure both players for our 2nd or what?

If so I like it stay away from our first round pick.
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Matt Cassel was one of the best 5 AFC quarterbacks last season, and all you gave up for him was the 35th pick in the draft. You're kidding yourself if you think that at 35 you were gonna find someone that can step in right away and lead your team to a winning record (which Cassel is very capable of doing). You're most likely not gonna give him the type of money you would have given a quarterback at #3 (See Matt Ryan), and you're not risking bust potential as high as any incoming rookie QB.
agreed.and you'd have to think Pioli saw him enough in New England that he knew weather he was a franchise type QB
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Because Stafford throws the ball much better than Cassel, which, last time I checked, is important for the position.
You mean his erratic passing in the SEC has led you to believe he throws the ball "much better" than a guy that did it for 16 games in the National Football League? That's ridiculous. Just say "Stafford has a stronger arm, and i like that" and cut the BS.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I dont think Cassel is a better athlete than Stafford and you dont know how hard Stafford works. Add to it that Cassel doesnt have near the arm that Stafford does either.

As for Cassel to KC it is probably a good move by KC if it doesnt include giving up that #3 pick.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:03 PM    (permalink
eazyb81
All-Pro

eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
So is it for sure both players for our 2nd or what?

If so I like it stay away from our first round pick.
Peter King is reporting that it's Cassel and Vrabel for only the 2nd round pick. No other picks are involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownsTown

If Chase Daniel finishes top 5 in the Heisman I'll cut my balls off.

2008 COTTON BOWL CHAMPIONS
eazyb81 is offline   Reply With Quote
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
I dont think Cassel is a better athlete than Stafford and you dont know how hard Stafford works. Add to it that Cassel doesnt have near the arm that Stafford does either.

As for Cassel to KC it is probably a good move by KC if it doesnt include giving up that #3 pick.

appearantly it's just a 2nd round pick not our 1st
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Agreed......
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You mean his erratic passing in the SEC has led you to believe he throws the ball "much better" than a guy that did it for 16 games in the National Football League? That's ridiculous. Just say "Stafford has a stronger arm, and i like that" and cut the BS.
You want to cut the BS? Fine, lets do it.

Show me a team stacked more than the Patriots. One of the best OL in the game, Randy Moss, Wes Welker? Give ME a break. Our offensive line was one of the worst, Bowe is solid but had the drops last year, and Tony is done in a few years. We don't have the weapons to help him like he had in NE and we damn sure don't have the defense to keep games close.

And no, I don't expect someone to be there at 35 to help lead this team, but I expected someone to be there at 3, and unless it went Stafford 1 and Sanchez 2, there was a chance we could have drafted a QB with a hell of a lot more potential than Cassel.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:04 PM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

Culpepper was traded for a 2nd
Schaub was traded for 2 2nd's
And Cassel and Vrabel were traded for a 2nd

I'm liking the trade more and more...

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Old 02-28-2009, 01:05 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I thought we established that 61% passing in the SEC with guys landing on your knees on just about every play is equal to about 80% in the 7 on 7 league they call the Big-12.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:05 PM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You want to cut the BS? Fine, lets do it.

Show me a team stacked more than the Patriots. One of the best OL in the game, Randy Moss, Wes Welker? Give ME a break. Our offensive line was one of the worst, Bowe is solid but had the drops last year, and Tony is done in a few years. We don't have the weapons to help him like he had in NE and we damn sure don't have the defense to keep games close.

And no, I don't expect someone to be there at 35 to help lead this team, but I expected someone to be there at 3, and unless it went Stafford 1 and Sanchez 2, there was a chance we could have drafted a QB with a hell of a lot more potential than Cassel.
Honestly, the potential of Cassel and Sanchez are comparable...Cassel will be cheaper, less riskier, and will allow us to address another need.

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote: