Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Chief49er
Rookie

Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.

1:49 p.m. SF Gate's John Crumpacker reports that Warner is currently at Stanford Hospital getting his physical. Warner has had pinky (2000), hand (2002), concussion (2003), hand (2004), groin, MCL (2005) and elbow (2007) injuries in the past, so the physical is not a routine event.--From Barrow's Blog
Old 03-02-2009, 11:30 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Cards have increased their offer to 2 years $23 million.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:19 AM    (permalink
RedAttack
Rookie

RedAttack hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTitan View Post
How is it fair for his age? Age should only come into play when considering how many years a deal has (2 seems fair). $ value should be down to skill level alone IMO.

At least for a QB like Warner. It's not like he relies on anything that will go away with age like a scrambler or anything, and he hasn't shown any signs of health issues.
I can't say that I have seen many (if any) 38 year old QB's play at a high level. So realistically you have to consider at what point does age catch up with him?

I would also disagree that Kurt doesn't have health issues. This is the first time he has completed a 16 game season in a long time. He messed up his arm in 2007 and has long history of concussions and issues with his thumb.

Don't get me wrong, I think Kurt is a warrior. But those factors considered, I would say that 10 mil guranteed is really fair.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:48 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
The Cards have increased their offer to 2 years $23 million.
that was the offer like 3 weeks ago, nothing has changed on our part

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:22 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
that was the offer like 3 weeks ago, nothing has changed on our part
The offer was increased...the offer that was just on the table was 2 years $20 million...They just added $3 million to that after his San Fran visit.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:30 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is that 3 mil in the 1st year?

So like $13 Mil for 2009 with a Option Bonus of $10 Mil for 2010?

Old 03-03-2009, 06:23 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am all for Warner not going back to the Cardinals but I don't think he is a very good fit for the offense we want to run. Sure we have some weapons in Isaac Bruce, Isaac Bruce Lite (Jason Hill), Josh Morgan, and Frank Gore but Bruce/Hill/Morgan are hardly comparable to Fitz/Boldin/Breaston.

Still, if we do sign Warner you might as well pencil us in as NFC West champions in 2009.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:18 AM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Still, if we do sign Warner you might as well pencil us in as NFC West champions in 2009.
Bearing in mind the strength of our division that's not quite the accolade it used to be...

I can see where Warner's coming from, the option means he's got no security at Arizona, all the power's with the Cards' management.
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:11 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kurt Warner: Cards Increase Offer
Old 03-03-2009, 01:13 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good call Mr. Smith! Gotta love those ESPN Analysts and their "sources." When Trent Dilfer is starting to do that kinda stuff, you have to seriously wonder what the **** they are thinking, then again this is the company that hired Smith, Irvin, and Salisbury....

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:16 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is all different from what Warner's agent is reporting. He said that the "new" deal the Cardinals offered (2 Years - $23 Million) is basically the same deal as before (1 Year - $10 Million w/ a 2nd year option at $10 Million) the only difference is that the extra $3 Million would be paid to Warner if he QB'ed the Cards to a second consecutive Super Bowl.

Warner has reportedly counter-offered the same deal (2 Years - $23 Million) but the $12 Million Guaranteed would be split up so he'd be guranteed $6 Million in 2010. He also said he would remove $1 Million off the contract per season if the Cardinals extended Anquan Boldin....

The ball is now back in Bidwill's court.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:19 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

We are like 45 Mil+ under the cap and still haven't cut Edge or Chike which opens up another 9 Mil, a few million should not be this hard to agree upon

Old 03-03-2009, 02:22 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
We are like 45 Mil+ under the cap and still haven't cut Edge or Chike which opens up another 9 Mil, a few million should not be this hard to agree upon
I'm pretty sure that is the point that Warner is trying to make, yet the Cards haven't been eager to budge.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:37 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
I am all for Warner not going back to the Cardinals but I don't think he is a very good fit for the offense we want to run. Sure we have some weapons in Isaac Bruce, Isaac Bruce Lite (Jason Hill), Josh Morgan, and Frank Gore but Bruce/Hill/Morgan are hardly comparable to Fitz/Boldin/Breaston.

LOL. If you had Martz as the OC I would think your chances would go up. But I wouldn't pencil you guys in. He still has to learn a new system, with new reads and progressions, new terminology and develop chemistry with his new players.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Chief49er
Rookie

Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.

Even if he doesnt sign with the 49ers we won the battle.

Either way, the Tards lost something.

muhahahaha!
Old 03-03-2009, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Nah, I don't think you can pencil in anyone in the division, regardless of Warner signing or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief49er View Post
Even if he doesnt sign with the 49ers we won the battle.

Either way, the Tards lost something.

muhahahaha!
They're so far under the cap, that small amount of money won't hurt them. But cheap-ass Bill Bidwell will definitely feel that extra few millions. Beer prices are going up in 'Zona!

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Bucs_Rule
Veteran

Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
LOL. If you had Martz as the OC I would think your chances would go up. But I wouldn't pencil you guys in. He still has to learn a new system, with new reads and progressions, new terminology and develop chemistry with his new players.
I think it would do the opposite. Martz long passing routes got Warner killed, Martz also sent him away in favor of Bulger.
Bucs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:01 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucs_Rule View Post
I think it would do the opposite. Martz long passing routes got Warner killed, Martz also sent him away in favor of Bulger.
No, because Mike Martz is the follower of the Air croyell or the original WCO offense not the Walshian WCO as we know it today. Warner mainly is a hall of famer because of that system, and Bulger is another guy from that system. Rivers is a QB in that system as well as well as Aikman. It's almost like the Walshian WCO offense with their sets of QBs, Montana, Young, Garcia, Bono, Hasselbeck, and so on.

That's why having Martz there would benefit him. Yeah he would get killed and that's more of a function of Martz's pass protections. But the system works and Warner's greatest show on turf is an example of what the system can do, just like Walsh's system with Montana.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Bucs_Rule
Veteran

Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No, because Mike Martz is the follower of the Air croyell or the original WCO offense not the Walshian WCO as we know it today. Warner mainly is a hall of famer because of that system, and Bulger is another guy from that system. Rivers is a QB in that system as well as well as Aikman. It's almost like the Walshian WCO offense with their sets of QBs, Montana, Young, Garcia, Bono, Hasselbeck, and so on.

That's why having Martz there would benefit him. Yeah he would get killed and that's more of a function of Martz's pass protections. But the system works and Warner's greatest show on turf is an example of what the system can do, just like Walsh's system with Montana.
I just don't think he likes Martz.
Bucs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:29 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
They're so far under the cap, that small amount of money won't hurt them. But cheap-ass Bill Bidwell will definitely feel that extra few millions. Beer prices are going up in 'Zona!
Mike Sando of ESPN had an interesting take on Arizona's cap space...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sando ESPN
The latest internal NFL data shows Arizona with about $40 million in salary-cap space three weeks before free agency. That is the highest figure in the league.

But what does that mean?

In theory, the Cardinals could sign Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers, Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth and their own free agents, including quarterback Kurt Warner, without using that much cap space.

We could deduce as much from considering the 2009 salary-cap charges associated with the highest-paid players at defensive end (Jared Allen, $11.45 million) and defensive tackle (Tommie Harris, $9.1 million) while assuming Warner's new deal might count about $10 million against the cap.

But the reality is much different.

The Cardinals have fewer than 40 players signed for 2009, meaning millions more will vanish when they fill out their roster. Some of that cap space will go toward signing draft choices.

Once the Cardinals account for other cap charges -- incentives from 2008, salary escalators for 2009 and future miscellaneous expenses relating to various reserve lists -- their functional cap space figures to stand between $20 million and $25 million heading into free agency.

Even that figure is a bit optimistic.

Re-signing their own free agents, notably Warner and linebacker Karlos Dansby, could require more than $15 million in cap space.

The Cardinals would still have enough left over to pursue a high-profile free agent, but an aggressive approach to the market could require trade-offs.

With that, we take a comprehensive look at where NFC West teams stand in relation to the salary cap:

Arizona Cardinals

Current cap room: $40 million

Projected functional cap room: $20 million to $25 million

Top players without contracts for 2009: Kurt Warner, Karlos Dansby, Antonio Smith, Bertrand Berry, J.J. Arrington, Terrelle Smith

Cap considerations: Having so few players under contract for 2009 has made the Cardinals' cap-space figure misleading. Other teams in the division won't be adding nearly as many contracts for the 2009 season. Arizona must also consider the financial implications associated with extending contracts for receiver Anquan Boldin or defensive tackle Darnell Dockett, should the team elect to address those situations. Rewarding Boldin with a Larry Fitzgerald-type contract might chew up an additional $8 million in cap space in 2009. Trading Boldin and releasing Edgerrin James would free up additional cap room.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:56 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucs_Rule View Post
I just don't think he likes Martz.
Maybe that may be the case, but either way Kurt Warner built his fame and success in Martz's Air Croyell system.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:37 PM    (permalink
MasterShake
Rookie

MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Maybe that may be the case, but either way Kurt Warner built his fame and success in Martz's Air Croyell system.
Jimmy Raye (49er OC) runs the Air Coryell also...alot of OC's do.
MasterShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:43 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
Jimmy Raye (49er OC) runs the Air Coryell also...alot of OC's do.
I wouldn't say alot, I know some of the concepts are mixed with other systems, but like I said I would have expected success with Martz based on their years with the Rams. If Raye does run the Coryell then that's good for Warner. The thing is they had sooo many OCs that god knows what is going on in terms of the offense.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:23 PM    (permalink
MasterShake
Rookie

MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
I wouldn't say alot, I know some of the concepts are mixed with other systems, but like I said I would have expected success with Martz based on their years with the Rams. If Raye does run the Coryell then that's good for Warner. The thing is they had sooo many OCs that god knows what is going on in terms of the offense.
Yeah...but the last 4 OC's have all been Coryell, but yeah...too many OC's...

Next time I see Norv Turner I'm gunna kick him in the nuts.
MasterShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:31 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
Yeah...but the last 4 OC's have all been Coryell, but yeah...too many OC's...

Next time I see Norv Turner I'm gunna kick him in the nuts.
I don;t get to see SF games in the east coast so don't really pay attention. All I know right now currently that I am aware of is Mike Martz and Norv Turner. They are direct from that Coryell tree. I have no clue how many others offensive coaches took that system and run it now. It's a pain trying to keep tabs of who runs the WCO, PRO, spread, Air Coryell, or a mix of all concepts.