Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Washington Redskins Team Forum

Washington Redskins Team Forum Discuss the Skins

Old 03-01-2009, 01:02 PM    (permalink
toddmlazarchick
Veteran

toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick
Default Redskins 2009 Draft

With the resigning of Hall and the new contracts of Dockery and Haynesworth I wanna know what you guys think or what you guys want us to do in the draft. Personally I want us to either fill the OLB hole or a RT. The only RT I think we should get is Jason Smith or Michael Oher. Andre Smith is just too risky for my blood. He doesnt seem to have his head on right. Maualuga or Oher is my pick at 13. If we trade back and pick up a 2nd or 3rd round pick then I wanna go after Clay Matthews. Imagine a line up like this:

D:
DE - Jason Taylor
DT - Albert Haynesworth
DT - Cornelius Griffin / Anthony Montgomery
DE - Andre Carter

OLB - Rocky McIntosh
MLB - London Fletcher
OLB - Rey Maualuga / Clay Matthews

CB - DeAngelo Hall
CB - Carlos Rogers
SS - Chris Horton
FS - LaRon Landry

O:
QB - Jason Campbell
RB - Clinton Portis
FB - Mike Sellers
WR - Santana Moss
WR - Devin Thomas / Malcolm Kelly
TE - Chris Cooley / Fred Davis
LT - Chris Samuels
LG - Derrick Dockery
C - Casey Rabach / Draft Pick
RG - Randy Thomas / Chad Rinehart
RT - Stephon Heyer / Michael Oher

I think with our 5th round pick we need a C who can also play guard as well.

2011 FA: FS - OJ Atogwe
2011 Draft Picks: Ryan Kerrigan-OLB-Purdue, Jarvis Jenkins-DE-Clemson, Leonard Hankerson-WR-Miami, Roy Helu-RB-Nebraska, DeJon Gomes-CB/S-Nebraska, Niles Paul-WR-Nebraska, Evan Royster-RB-Penn State, Aldrick Robinson-WR-SMU, Brandyn Thompson-CB-Boise State, Maurice Hurt-OG-Florida, Markus White-OLB-Florida State, Chris Neild-NT-West Virginia
toddmlazarchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:55 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At this point BPA is the way we will go. You seem to love Oher and hate Andre Smith, I feel the same way. Oher to me is just as big of a risk as Smith but Smith is more talented. Personally I don't care who we take as long as it is BPA.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:28 PM    (permalink
toddmlazarchick
Veteran

toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
At this point BPA is the way we will go. You seem to love Oher and hate Andre Smith, I feel the same way. Oher to me is just as big of a risk as Smith but Smith is more talented. Personally I don't care who we take as long as it is BPA.
I read the book on Oher (The Blind Side) and his risks are very overplayed. The kid is a pure stud. He plays with such a nasty side to him that would be perfect for our OL. Smith to me seems like he is just going pro for one reason, the cash. He doesnt seem to be taking this seriously. If he can prove otherwise I have no problem taking him but right now I dont want him.

2011 Draft Picks: Ryan Kerrigan-OLB-Purdue, Jarvis Jenkins-DE-Clemson, Leonard Hankerson-WR-Miami, Roy Helu-RB-Nebraska, DeJon Gomes-CB/S-Nebraska, Niles Paul-WR-Nebraska, Evan Royster-RB-Penn State, Aldrick Robinson-WR-SMU, Brandyn Thompson-CB-Boise State, Maurice Hurt-OG-Florida, Markus White-OLB-Florida State, Chris Neild-NT-West Virginia
Old 03-01-2009, 02:41 PM    (permalink
2 Live Crew
Rookie

2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea if 1 of Oher/Smith are there I want them. I also wouldn't mind Orakpo if he's there. Some more lineman please
2 Live Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:58 PM    (permalink
toddmlazarchick
Veteran

If we dont sign another FA until the draft then our first 2 picks have to be OT and LB. It just depends who is there at 13 and if we can trade back or not.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:59 PM    (permalink
Red_BearSkins
Rookie

Red_BearSkins hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I hope Andre Smith falls to 13 and then somehow Eric Wood falls to us in the 3rd.

Our o-line would get younger, more talented, and mauling in the run-game. That would be about as good as anyone can possibly due in one offseason to revamp an aging overrated o-line.

I heard a rumor where we're thinking of moving Jason Taylor to SAM on probable rushing downs. Also heard a rumor where Horton would be moved to SAM on passing downs.

Is this true? Who knows, but it sounds like an indication the coaches are willing to experiment with the players currently on the roster for the SAM role. Which means our 1st and 3rd won't be spent on a LB.
Red_BearSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:56 PM    (permalink
Suits
Rookie

Suits hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

toddm, i just read the blurb about "the blind side," and the story seems incredible. Would you recomend the book?

As far as the skins, I am now officially a huge Oher fan. From what I've heard about him he will be a player I root for regardless of his pro-team. He has given up one sack the past two years (in the SEC no less) and seems like an incredible human being. Seems like a perfect value pick at 13. He's a great fit to be groomed immediately on the right before taking over for samuels on the left in 3 years.

Beyond Oher I could live with Maualuga at 13 as well, although I think we could pick him up later. He would add a Sean-like nastiness to our d - a toughness no other player in this draft has (appologies to Curry, but Maualuga demoralizes offenses with his style of play). I would prefer to trade back to draft anyone but Oher - somewhere in the 20s or even the early second in order to pick up a 3rd or 2nd. Maualuga, Lauranitis, and Cush would be better value back there, as would Andre Smith.
Suits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:16 AM    (permalink
ChefMike
Veteran

ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.

I think you need to go LB in the 1st and then OL in the 2nd and 3rd. Heyer is a serviceable back up but a real starting LT? NO WAY but Oher and the Alabama disappearing act look nasty but look stiff to me. Not really able to handle a speed rush from a Suggs or a Merriman or a Usi.

But BPA should be the way to go. I am a Ravens diehard and would love to see you guys get better through the draft. You would create a dynasty that would be unstoppable you have a revenue base that kills everyother franchise and if you had young talent to sign long term that you drafted... you would destroy the rest of the league... you could probably raise Vince Lombardi from the dead to run your franchise if you had the talent !!!!!!
ChefMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:42 AM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't really understand the want for Rey Mag, an OLB is a much bigger need as do we really want HB starting all year, also you never know if Rocky can stay healthy and behind those 2 there is zero depth. It's really tough though as there isn't a single OLB worth taking at 13 as Curry obviously will be gone. We should just sign Ray Willis which would take care of the RT problem, and if we can't trade down will be forced to go BPA but that doesn't mean reach on a LB. Maybe that means you take the top corner if you still plan on trading Los, We amazing depth behind Haynes but maybe even a Perria Jerry who could have 10 sacks from the DT position with Haynesworth demanding so much interior attention. Lets not forget DE is still a big need, Larry English would be a dream coming off the edge. Dare I say it but I know Vinny will give DHB, Maclin, and especially Crabtree a look if they drop. I think LB is much easier to to get later in the draft. Because of Haynes freeing up our backers one of those smaller quick guys like Tyron McKenzie or Marcus Freeman could be an absolute playmaker in our defense. It would really clear things up if we can find a way to sign Ray Willis or Angelo Crowell which would be pretty expensive.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:44 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Unless Oher is on the board then i feel a trade down is absolutely our best bet because the OLBs that I'd be interested in would be a reach at 13 for sure. Sintim or Cushing would be good picks later in the first. I'm still interested in possible depth at corner too. Something similar to the following would be nice:

Pick at 13:

RD1 - Oher
RD3 - Cody Brown / Kevin Barnes

Trade down:
RD 1 - Brian Cushing / Larry English
RD 2 - William Beatty / Phil Loadholt
RD 3 - Barnes / Mike Mickens / Brandon Tate (Tate > Nicks. You heard it here first)
Old 03-02-2009, 08:55 AM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
Unless Oher is on the board then i feel a trade down is absolutely our best bet because the OLBs that I'd be interested in would be a reach at 13 for sure. Sintim or Cushing would be good picks later in the first. I'm still interested in possible depth at corner too. Something similar to the following would be nice:

Pick at 13:

RD1 - Oher
RD3 - Cody Brown / Kevin Barnes

Trade down:
RD 1 - Brian Cushing / Larry English
RD 2 - William Beatty / Phil Loadholt
RD 3 - Barnes / Mike Mickens / Brandon Tate (Tate > Nicks. You heard it here first)
I like both of those scenarios.

And Ghetto, I'd LOVE to see us get Crowell. But like you said, we're probably limited in FA now. I still don't see legit receivers in either Thomas or Kelly, if we can trade down to the 20s and one of the big 3 (Crabs,Mac,DHB) is still on the board, we have to take him. I'm not sure if I'd take DHB or Mac at 13 though.
skinzzfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:19 AM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
I like both of those scenarios.

And Ghetto, I'd LOVE to see us get Crowell. But like you said, we're probably limited in FA now. I still don't see legit receivers in either Thomas or Kelly, if we can trade down to the 20s and one of the big 3 (Crabs,Mac,DHB) is still on the board, we have to take him. I'm not sure if I'd take DHB or Mac at 13 though.
IMO DHB's stock now is 7-18.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Red_BearSkins
Rookie

I'm starting to get worried that no matter what OT we draft in the 1st round, Buges won't start. He'll sit him in favor of Heyer or Ray Willis (assuming we get him).

That means if we want an immediate impact with our 1st rounder, it would have to be LB. Vinny is good at drafting LBs and DBs, and I don't think he wants to be known for drafting a bust with a 1st rounder. The two OT's that will fall are still really talented, but have a higher than you'd like bust chance (Oher/Smith). So he might go his usual BPA route, and get a LB, since that has a lesser chance of being a bust.

I know he's high on Orakpo, so he might stick him at SAM if he falls to us, but I hope that pick only happens if Blache incorporates more blitzes.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:32 PM    (permalink
toddmlazarchick
Veteran

The love for Rey from me comes at his intensity and leadership. He has talent that you just dont pass on. After Curry there is no OLB worth the #13 pick. But for me taking Rey and moving him to OLB at #13 is move valuable then trading back and taking a lesser talent like Cushing or Sintim. I dont not like Cushing at all. He has been hurt all 4 years at USC. To me he is a HUGE bust waiting to happen. Id still like to sign Willis and Crowell so when the draft comes around we truely can go BPA.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:34 PM    (permalink
2 Live Crew
Rookie

2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A LB does not have a lesser chance of being a bust than an OL in the first round. If anything it is the other way around. Especially not where we are drafting. Any LB at 13 this year will be a reach. Oher/Smith would certainly not be reaches there.

Worst case scenario for Oher/Smith is basically a decent RT. Thats far from a "bust".
2 Live Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:43 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmlazarchick View Post
The love for Rey from me comes at his intensity and leadership. He has talent that you just dont pass on. After Curry there is no OLB worth the #13 pick. But for me taking Rey and moving him to OLB at #13 is move valuable then trading back and taking a lesser talent like Cushing or Sintim. I dont not like Cushing at all. He has been hurt all 4 years at USC. To me he is a HUGE bust waiting to happen. Id still like to sign Willis and Crowell so when the draft comes around we truely can go BPA.
Lets be real here. I know you love Rey because of his intensity and he does lay wood but lets be real here, moving him to OLB? If he were an OLB he wouldn't be in my top 7 at all. He already struggles with speed at MLB, at OLB, Robert Royal could get 80 yard catches. Rey stinks in open space.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Red_BearSkins
Rookie

Quote:
IMO DHB's stock now is 7-18.
Fortunately, Cerrato doesn't really feel comfortable drafting WR's. As indicated by his philosophy of loading up on pass-catchers last year, thinking at least one of them has to be good.

The Redskins have had a very unfortunate history of drafting WR busts, Cerrato knows this, and doesn't want to perpetuate it.

I don't like DHB at ALL. But his great combine could deceive some teams into trading up (hopefully), to nab him.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:12 PM    (permalink
DreadedDatSkinsFan
Rookie

DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan

Honestly I want us to trade down...

MarkieMark's dream 2010 Redskins mock: Updated 4/9
TRAAAADE DOOOOWN
Round 1- OT Brian Bulaga- Iowa
Round 4- OT Sam Young- Notre Damn
Round 5- C John Estes- Hawaii
Round 7- RB/WR/KR/PR Trindon Holliday- LSU
DreadedDatSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:34 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadedDatSkinsFan View Post
Honestly I want us to trade down...
No one wants that big rookie contract they have to pay. Trading down is something you can't plan for only will happen if someone drops that a team desperately wants. I pray someone like Mark Sanchez drops as teams will give up more than face value to move up for a franchise QB, i.e. Ravens and Flacco last season.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:47 PM    (permalink
DreadedDatSkinsFan
Rookie

DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan

Quote:
No one wants that big rookie contract they have to pay. Trading down is something you can't plan for only will happen if someone drops that a team desperately wants. I pray someone like Mark Sanchez drops as teams will give up more than face value to move up for a franchise QB, i.e. Ravens and Flacco last season.
We're on the same page...With KC trading for Cassel there is a strong chance that Sanchez will fall...There u have a trade on the table for pick 13...If Vinny doesn't somehow screw it up...I'd be a happy man...

TRAAAADE DOOOOWN
Old 03-03-2009, 03:56 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadedDatSkinsFan View Post
We're on the same page...With KC trading for Cassel there is a strong chance that Sanchez will fall...There u have a trade on the table for pick 13...If Vinny doesn't somehow screw it up...I'd be a happy man...
Although I fear San Fran takes him at 10. They want Warner so obviously are not satisfied with Shaun Hill and Alex Smith plus Sanchez is a local product. Someone like the Jets would definitely trade up with us, although sucks Minnesota seems to be fine with Rosenfels, Jackson, and Booty.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:05 PM    (permalink
DreadedDatSkinsFan
Rookie

Quote:
Although I fear San Fran takes him at 10. They want Warner so obviously are not satisfied with Shaun Hill and Alex Smith plus Sanchez is a local product. Someone like the Jets would definitely trade up with us, although sucks Minnesota seems to be fine with Rosenfels, Jackson, and Booty.
Im hoping San Fran does something dumb like draft Rey Rey

TRAAAADE DOOOOWN
Old 03-03-2009, 04:27 PM    (permalink
703SKINS202
Pro Bowler

703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Have no fear:

http://vimeo.com/3454205

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao
703SKINS202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:32 PM    (permalink
DreadedDatSkinsFan
Rookie

LOL...Vinny needs to go back to acting...

TRAAAADE DOOOOWN
Old 03-03-2009, 04:34 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

ROFL
skinzzfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote