Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 03-05-2007, 09:45 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Reese looking to draft Brian Leonard?

There hasnt really been much talk about a RB in comparasion to its need for us.

Dominic Rhodes and Jamal Lewis are the only proven RBs that are available and Lewis is likely to re-sign with Baltimore and isn't really a fit. Rhodes came in for a visit, but we didnt get it done.

Green, Henry, Mcgahee, Thomas Jones, etc are all signed, and a trade for Mcgahee seems unlikely.

I think Reese might be positioning to draft Brian Leonard. Besides the obvious fact that it fills our need for a second back, it also gives us a pass catcher out of the backfielder to make up for Tiki. And beyond that, it would be an extremely popular pick that the fans would love.

I think Reese will select Leonard in the draft partially because of the fans (and its a perfectly sound selection also). It would give a good impression to the fans and boost Reese's own popularity.

What do you think about this?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:22 PM    (permalink
BoltHype
Rookie

BoltHype hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Michael Turner is still here in SD. Would Giants fans give up a first for him?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:32 PM    (permalink
BigBlue58KiperIII
Rookie

BigBlue58KiperIII hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

No we wouldnt give up a first for Turner who would be splitting time with BJ
2009 UConn Draft picks? Darius Butler, CB, Cody Brown, DE, Will Beatty, OT
2007 Co-Big East Champs

Donald Brown 2008 D-1 rushing title
BigBlue58KiperIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:15 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
There hasnt really been much talk about a RB in comparasion to its need for us.

Dominic Rhodes and Jamal Lewis are the only proven RBs that are available and Lewis is likely to re-sign with Baltimore and isn't really a fit. Rhodes came in for a visit, but we didnt get it done.

Green, Henry, Mcgahee, Thomas Jones, etc are all signed, and a trade for Mcgahee seems unlikely.

I think Reese might be positioning to draft Brian Leonard. Besides the obvious fact that it fills our need for a second back, it also gives us a pass catcher out of the backfielder to make up for Tiki. And beyond that, it would be an extremely popular pick that the fans would love.

I think Reese will select Leonard in the draft partially because of the fans (and its a perfectly sound selection also). It would give a good impression to the fans and boost Reese's own popularity.

What do you think about this?
STOP! please stop! ur incredibly biased about brian leonard and its misrepresenting the giants needs and wants please stop!
leonard is a waste of a pick imo
first of all- not all giants fans are rutgers fans, most have absolutely no allegiance to rutgers, and i do not think he would simply pick a player to appease a few rutgers alum/fans of the jersey area
he is not quick enough and not the type of elusive back we need to complement jacobs- id much rather get a guy like irons, booker, hunt, walker, brandon jackson or most preferably sign rhodes
yes he has good hands, but so do other backs that satisfy more of a need

sig by jkpigskin

2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS
hugegmenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:33 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hugegmen fan- leonard ran faster than hunt, and is overall better at RB than hunt, and jackson.(esp. hunt) we wont get him becuz that would be a luxury pick, he would fit in nicely with his blocking and hands at RB to help eli, but he wont be there for us in round 2, we cant afford to lose picks and trade up, and we have more pressing needs at LB and most importantly CB
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:45 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im not gonna deny that I am biased. But Leonard definitely fits our needs. Even the mock draft on this very site has him going to the Giants over all the guys you mentioned.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:57 AM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

hugepunch hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i rather have kenny irons but big leonard would be a nice pick too.
hugepunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:01 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

20 would be awfully high for Leonard, and I don't see him being there for their 2nd round pick right now.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:20 AM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

We don't need two power backs.
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:21 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky bobby View Post
We don't need two power backs.
Leonard has underrated speed. He's not a power back like Jacobs is, although he has power. I think he would fit in great, especially as a pass catcher
Old 03-07-2007, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd much rather take Lorenzo Booker in the third or even fourth. He's more of a scat back and can catch the ball just as well as Leonard can. He'd make a much better combination than Jacobs/Leonard would. I would be happpy with Darius Walker or Antonio Pittman as well, as we can get them a lot lower.

We'd have to give away Draft picks to move up high enough to grab him in the second, and we're going to need the picks we have.

Sorry, but this pick will not happen, unless Ernie Accorsi comes back.
Forenci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:50 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

eacantdraft smells like sex panther.

I hate college homers who try to pass their guys off on pro teams. I want the best guy available. I don't care if he goes to Bo Didley Tech as long as he can play.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:13 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we drafted BL, I'd get a boner.. BL is a stud and character guy we can use on this team. His versatility alone can be a huge asset for us.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:26 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Brian Leonard the player, but realistically, I don't see a spot for him on this team. Especially since he'd require a high investment. We have bigger fish to fry than a RB/FB hybrid that has no true position that we would have to create plays for.

I still think he'd be a great Hback in a 2 TE scheme. He just has no spot on our team worthy of that high of an investment thats all. I understand he's a local guy and what not, but it he just doesn't fit here. Not with our needs, not with our offensive system. Love the player, hate him on our team.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:32 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I like Brian Leonard the player, but realistically, I don't see a spot for him on this team. Especially since he'd require a high investment. We have bigger fish to fry than a RB/FB hybrid that has no true position that we would have to create plays for.

I still think he'd be a great Hback in a 2 TE scheme. He just has no spot on our team worthy of that high of an investment thats all. I understand he's a local guy and what not, but it he just doesn't fit here. Not with our needs, not with our offensive system. Love the player, hate him on our team.
That's fine, that's what coaches do. They innovate and create ways to use players. Bill B is the master at that. He would be a great H back, can spell Jacobs on carries, and block for him as well. Good hands out of the backfield, and would be a huge upgrade over Finn. He also brings more to the table as well.

I would disagree I think he fit in perfectly on this team, and what realistically would happen is the Eagles may get him, and than we'd have to worry about him, and Westbrook coming out of the backfield. I think he would be a great asset on this team, and brings tremendous value to this offense.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:35 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
That's fine, that's what coaches do. They innovate and create ways to use players. Bill B is the master at that. He would be a great H back, can spell Jacobs on carries, and block for him as well. Good hands out of the backfield, and would be a huge upgrade over Finn. He also brings more to the table as well.

I would disagree I think he fit in perfectly on this team, and what realistically would happen is the Eagles may get him, and than we'd have to worry about him, and Westbrook coming out of the backfield. I think he would be a great asset on this team, and brings tremendous value to this offense.
Theres no question that he can help our team and help our offense by adding another weapon. My issue is, we can't take him so high in the draft with bigger fish to fry. Its just not something we can do. We have more important needs. We have enough playmakers on offense, its time for Eli to step up and use them to the best of his ability. We need improvement on the other side of the ball, and I think our day 1 picks should ultimately be concentrated on defense. Of course the board can change at any moment given falling players etc, but Im just saying, we should approach this draft with more defensive emphasis.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:42 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Theres no question that he can help our team and help our offense by adding another weapon. My issue is, we can't take him so high in the draft with bigger fish to fry. Its just not something we can do. We have more important needs. We have enough playmakers on offense, its time for Eli to step up and use them to the best of his ability. We need improvement on the other side of the ball, and I think our day 1 picks should ultimately be concentrated on defense. Of course the board can change at any moment given falling players etc, but Im just saying, we should approach this draft with more defensive emphasis.

Yeah i can see your point of view, but if the team sees value in his versatility than even than I'd take him. Plus i'd say that's what Reese and TC like.. Notice how Kiwi was a DE, but COULD have potential as a SAM, Moss is a wr, that can probably KR and PR, WIlk played DE, and 3 LB positions, while BC played DE, and DT as well. CHarlie P is a hybrid S/CB, and WHimper was a project LT/TE. Notice the versatilty among all our picks. That's more of a reason, sticking with this theme of versatility that BL could be taken by us. His value in different spots, may off set the bigger fish to fry. That bigger fish may do one thing, so in essence BL, the smaller, fish could provide as much value because of his versalility.

We do have playmakers, but we used them incorrectly.. We have plax and Shockey, and dont know about Moss yet or Jacobs. Someone like BL would give Eli even more targets especially of down the field isnt there, now you have guys like Jacobs and BL, that can be an effective weapon. Basically player utilization can make this smaller fish, as big as the bigger fish, because of value. Yea the need may not be there, but the value he can provide can over shadow the need.

But I do like the defensive emphasis, but i still think when value like that comes across, you cant be too fixated in one philosophy.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:48 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Yeah i can see your point of view, but if the team sees value in his versatility than even than I'd take him. Plus i'd say that's what Reese and TC like.. Notice how Kiwi was a DE, but COULD have potential as a SAM, Moss is a wr, that can probably KR and PR, WIlk played DE, and 3 LB positions, while BC played DE, and DT as well. CHarlie P is a hybrid S/CB, and WHimper was a project LT/TE. Notice the versatilty among all our picks. That's more of a reason, sticking with this theme of versatility that BL could be taken by us. His value in different spots, may off set the bigger fish to fry. That bigger fish may do one thing, so in essence BL, the smaller, fish could provide as much value because of his versalility.

We do have playmakers, but we used them incorrectly.. We have plax and Shockey, and dont know about Moss yet or Jacobs. Someone like BL would give Eli even more targets especially of down the field isnt there, now you have guys like Jacobs and BL, that can be an effective weapon. Basically player utilization can make this smaller fish, as big as the bigger fish, because of value. Yea the need may not be there, but the value he can provide can over shadow the need.

But I do like the defensive emphasis, but i still think when value like that comes across, you cant be too fixated in one philosophy.
Ugh, tell me about it. Player utilization is the biggest flaw of our team, and with the coaching staff still in place, it could rear its ugly head again this year.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:51 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Ugh, tell me about it. Player utilization is the biggest flaw of our team, and with the coaching staff still in place, it could rear its ugly head again this year.
If that happens I will be pissed.. Use our damn players correctly and efficiently!
Old 03-08-2007, 09:57 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

Quote:

The Giants have been to fixated with offense the past few seasons. That idiot EA felt he could build a 99 Rams type of offense in New York. That is not going to work. Meanwhile except for the D line, our defense has sunk to low levels.

Defense is the trademark of the Giants. Not a bunch of prima donna ball hogs clamouring for the ball from a metrosexual QB.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:01 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft View Post
The Giants have been to fixated with offense the past few seasons. That idiot EA felt he could build a 99 Rams type of offense in New York. That is not going to work. Meanwhile except for the D line, our defense has sunk to low levels.

Defense is the trademark of the Giants. Not a bunch of prima donna ball hogs clamouring for the ball from a metrosexual QB.
Are you lockhart by chance? ANd our last first round picks have been defense... Kiwi, Webster(first pick for us, 2nd rounder), Willy Joe, and than Shockey.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:04 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

You make a very good point and if Leonard was to fall to us in the second round, I wouldn't be upset if we took him there. I don't believe that to be the case though, I think he'll be high second round, Tampa may go for him. We desperately need all of our picks this year to reload on the defense and offensive line. We'd be giving up a lot to grab him in the high second round.

Another point was mentioned that our coaching staff has not game planned for certain players to take advantage of their abilities. I fear this would happen if we got Leonard. TC would stick him in at fullback and that would be that.

I mean, no matter how much versatility the guy has, it's not going to help us if the defense gives up huge plays at the end of the game when our offense has done just fine. I can only remember us losing a couple of games because the offense was complete crap, but I remember many that were due to the defense giving up plays.
Forenci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:24 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
You make a very good point and if Leonard was to fall to us in the second round, I wouldn't be upset if we took him there. I don't believe that to be the case though, I think he'll be high second round, Tampa may go for him. We desperately need all of our picks this year to reload on the defense and offensive line. We'd be giving up a lot to grab him in the high second round.

Another point was mentioned that our coaching staff has not game planned for certain players to take advantage of their abilities. I fear this would happen if we got Leonard. TC would stick him in at fullback and that would be that.

I mean, no matter how much versatility the guy has, it's not going to help us if the defense gives up huge plays at the end of the game when our offense has done just fine. I can only remember us losing a couple of games because the offense was complete crap, but I remember many that were due to the defense giving up plays.

Well i'd rather have the player, because if our coaching staff sucks at player utilization than shame on us. But if the player is here, and if the system and coaches change perhaps the use of the player would be better utilized. One example is Troy P.. Under Lewis he was avg, but under LaBeau he truly became a stud.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:20 PM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Are you lockhart by chance? ANd our last first round picks have been defense... Kiwi, Webster(first pick for us, 2nd rounder), Willy Joe, and than Shockey.
And all of those players were chosen before most people thought they should be. Only Kiwi showed flashes.

News to you. Shockey was not a defensive player and you conveniently left out Eli who cost us the 1st pick in the 2005 draft.

Reese would be stupid to draft Leonard just because he goes to Rutgers. You pick the best players in the NFL, not where they go to college. Who cares where they went to college.

You fangirls are laughable.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:25 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Rumors of Giants interest in TJ Duckett. I doubt he'll get out of Buffalo (he's visiting them soon), because of the money they invested in FA on that O-line. I think Duckett would be a great fit in Buffalo, but if he makes it to the giants, that would be great. I know we need a change of pace back, but if we bring in another beast, that defense will take a beating.
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote