Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-05-2007, 11:18 PM    (permalink
J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets

Our two second round picks together have the equivalent value of approximately a late first round pick. Now that we filled one big need, do we now trade the two in order to draft a corner and a DE/OLB of good value?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:29 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

nyjets5125 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i think the only DE/OLB worth trading up for would be anthony spencer, and as it is looking right now with the loss of adalius thomas the ravens are planning on taking him, so i figured we would have to get ahead of them to take him, and knowing the patriots old habits of trading down for more picks which we adopted, what do you guys think of this as an option if we were to trade up.....

Jets recieve:
Patriots 1st-rounder (Pick #28)

Patriots recieve:
Jets 2nd-rounder (Pick #59)
Bears 2nd-rounder (Pick #63)
Justin McCareins (would value him as a mid-4th round choice)

I am not totally a fan of the idea of trading up but if we do here is a scenario. We could take Anthony Spencer with this pick. With our own 1st-round choice (Pick #25), we could take either a CB, OL, or DL depending on what needs we address during free agency.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:30 AM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Non_Sequitur hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

NY Newspapers had the rumor we would be trading up... to number 2 overall and that the trade would be our 25th overall and a "defensive starter."

But who's tradable that has that value? Robertson? Vilma?

And what would we trade up for? Joe Thomas at Right Tackle? Calvin Johnson at Wide Reciver? Alan Branch at Defensive End?

It sounds more like rumor mongering to me, but hey, it's the NY papers. what else do they have to do with thier time? Talk about A-Rod suntanning himself?
Non_Sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:47 AM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets View Post
Our two second round picks together have the equivalent value of approximately a late first round pick. Now that we filled one big need, do we now trade the two in order to draft a corner and a DE/OLB of good value?

Personally, I'm hoping we sign Nick Harper to a nice little contract and use one of those 2nds or even the third to draft a nickle corner that could develop.

Our 1st rounder needs to be used to fill that massive hole on the right side of our line. Brandon Moore slipped a little this season, and we have no right tackle at all (with the free agent market being extremely thin). IMO Ugoh is the most explosive power guy at tackle in this class (and the combine backs that up) and would make for a nice Right Tackle for us. If we could snag him at 25, it would be of good value. Then Andy Alleman late in the 2nd with one of our picks to sit behind Kendall and challenge Moore for his starting gig. Use the other 2nd on someone like Ben Patrick ( a quick and powerful TE who can block well and catch well. Patrick is actually faster than Greg Olsen in the short range) as our TE. This would give the Jets a formidable offensive line for the next 6 or 7 years before any major changes would need to be made. Giving Thomas Jones and, Leon Washington especially, lots of room to run around and break off big runs. Plus with Patrick and Baker both being good pass catchers in the short range, it would give Penny the players he needs to dump it off on swing passes and out routes in order to move the chains.

Patrick-Ferguson-Kendall-Mangold-Moore/Alleman-Ugoh-Baker

Great teams are built from the inside out.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:16 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
Personally, I'm hoping we sign Nick Harper to a nice little contract and use one of those 2nds or even the third to draft a nickle corner that could develop.
i completely agree there

Quote:
IMO Ugoh is the most explosive power guy at tackle in this class (and the combine backs that up) and would make for a nice Right Tackle for us. If we could snag him at 25, it would be of good value.
i think thats wayyyyyyyy to early for him, also it is reportred that were pushing for marc colombo who plays RT, i think then we could try jones at OG or take one if availabe at the rigth value (like blalock at 25, grubbs at 59)
Old 03-07-2007, 02:12 AM    (permalink
Non_Sequitur
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjets5125 View Post
i think thats wayyyyyyyy to early for him, also it is reportred that were pushing for marc colombo who plays RT, i think then we could try jones at OG or take one if availabe at the rigth value (like blalock at 25, grubbs at 59)

You mean the Adrian Jones who was cut because he got arrested?

And Ugoh > Winston Justice.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:56 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non_Sequitur View Post
You mean the Adrian Jones who was cut because he got arrested?

And Ugoh > Winston Justice.
Since when was Adrian Jones cut? According to the Jets website that im linking to, hes on the team. And yes this is updated becuase Thomas Jones an Kenyon Coleman are on it and the cut players aren't. So to answer your question no, i mean the Adrian Jones who was arrested but not cut. We could then let him and brandon moore battle out the RG position unless we add somebody there.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:32 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

It was rumored that bc he got arrested during the season he was going to be cut but I think hes going to be with the team unless we use two of our top 3 picks on OL. He can play T and G and the reason he doesn't start at RT is a) bc he isunder 300 pounds and with brick being 285-295 we need some size and b)bc he is a better fit at LT or is more comfortable playing there. To sum it up i think he'll be with the Jets bc he'll provide depth at G and both tackle positions.

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:38 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

btw Ugoh is not better than Justice in fact he's the exact opposite of Justice...Winstno could have started for us last year but hasn't played bc the eagles draft 2 years ahead every year and he's been backing people up until next year...Also Ugoh is a freak athlete where as Justice was considered a technician. They're not comparable and Ugoh is a reach at 25: if you go line there its Blalock. Ugoh is sadly a mid 2nd rounder and we probably wont get him although I like him.
I wouldn't mind this for DAY 1...
1)Blalock: OT/OG
2a)Hill: WR
2b)Harrell: DE
3)Jackson: CB

Old 03-07-2007, 09:43 PM    (permalink
lowblow2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post
btw Ugoh is not better than Justice in fact he's the exact opposite of Justice...Winstno could have started for us last year but hasn't played bc the eagles draft 2 years ahead every year and he's been backing people up until next year...Also Ugoh is a freak athlete where as Justice was considered a technician. They're not comparable and Ugoh is a reach at 25: if you go line there its Blalock. Ugoh is sadly a mid 2nd rounder and we probably wont get him although I like him.
isn't Blalock's feet too slow for OT???

I'd rather see Kareem Brown in the late 2nd

but then again, I'm a Miami Hurricanes fan
Old 03-07-2007, 10:15 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post
thatd be a solid draft depending on some FA signings
Old 03-08-2007, 12:09 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

it's also only day 1 so we would have a 5th 6th and 2 compensatory picks and whatever picks/ players we get for Barton or McCareins if we trade them