Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 03-05-2009, 08:29 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Jermaine Phillips re-signed

Per NFL.com.

I'm so happy about this. Phillips is one of our best defenders, Sabby isn't ready yet and we need him for depth anyway.

Great signing and I'll take Phillips over all the veterans we lost this offseason.

EDIT: And Jerramy Stevens. Another guy I wanted us to keep. Well done. LOVE our TE depth.

We might just actually get away with Michael Clayton as our #2 receiver. We have 3 solid TEs and RBs. Old school football FTW.

sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by etk : 03-05-2009 at 08:31 PM.
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:33 PM    (permalink
TRJ997
Rookie

TRJ997 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

You just beat me to it. How do I delete a thread?

Great signing!!

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/5207

Free Agency isn't looking bad for the Bucs so far. I was pretty sure that the Glazers were going to make a low-ball offer and Phillips would end up somewhere else. I think he's going to have a big year playing for Raheem. Next I'd like to see the Bucs bring in CB Bryant McFadden
TRJ997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:35 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRJ997 View Post
You just beat me to it. How do I delete a thread?

Great signing!!

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/5207

Free Agency isn't looking bad for the Bucs so far. I was pretty sure that the Glazers were going to make a low-ball offer and Phillips would end up somewhere else. I think he's going to have a big year playing for Raheem. Next I'd like to see the Bucs bring in CB Bryant McFadden
Don't worry. Mr. Team Leader will take care of it.

I'm glad to share your excitement. McFadden would be a good signing as well. At this point I think CB is a real option for us in the 1st though.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-05-2009, 08:37 PM    (permalink
TRJ997
Rookie

No doubt CB is a possibility in the 1st round. My preference would be to trade down, but I will be satisfied with Jerry or a CB.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:30 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love this signing. I particularly love the fact that we have Sabby backing him up.

This allows Jermaine to play with that hard-nosed, highly aggressive manner. And if he does get injured making a big hit or going hard for an INT then we have an adequate replacement in Sabby. Great work by the FO to get him back.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:33 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
I love this signing. I particularly love the fact that we have Sabby backing him up.

This allows Jermaine to play with that hard-nosed, highly aggressive manner. And if he does get injured making a big hit or going hard for an INT then we have an adequate replacement in Sabby. Great work by the FO to get him back.
This is Jermaine Phillips we're talking about. There's only one style of football he knows how to play....

In fact, all 4 of our safeties play that way. It's a Buc thing. Even our corners play hard-nosed and aggressive, aside from the rook Talib.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-07-2009, 07:35 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
This is Jermaine Phillips we're talking about. There's only one style of football he knows how to play....

In fact, all 4 of our safeties play that way. It's a Buc thing. Even our corners play hard-nosed and aggressive, aside from the rook Talib.
That's why we love Jermaine. You can tell he is going as hard as he can at all times. Sometimes he gets hurt so it helps to have a capable back up.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:14 AM    (permalink
DT35
Rookie

DT35 DT35 DT35 DT35 DT35

Man.. I really wanted him on the Seahawks.
DT35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:21 AM    (permalink
TRJ997
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT35 View Post
Man.. I really wanted him on the Seahawks.
I'm surprised another team wasn't able to pry him away from us (or maybe there wasn't much interest out there). Have they released the details of his contract yet?

Last edited by TRJ997 : 03-07-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:54 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/newsd...px?newsid=7007

Seems odd to me.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:57 AM    (permalink
TRJ997
Rookie

Quote:
Moving Phillips to WLB is a risky move. It would work out if the following happened:

-he learns a position he's never played and outperforms Hayward, Black, and Hayes
-he doesn't get injured moving to a more physically demanding position
-Piscitelli provides little to no dropoff at the SS position

If any of these doesn't happen then the move wouldn't help the defense.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:10 PM    (permalink
DeadEagle
Rookie

DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeadEagle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Agreed. Given the timing, though..... this reeks of draft smoke screen. For what? I dunno.

Quote:
Barry also insists that Phillips has the size for the position; the veteran defensive back has been listed on the Bucs' roster as a 220-pounder for years but is currently has more like 230 pounds on his 6-2 frame. Two of the Bucs' starting three linebackers in Super Bowl XXXVII Pro Bowlers Derrick Brooks and Shelton Quarles were lighter than 230 in that game.

Or..... if that is true, perhaps he is a fit. Could also be that Morris/Bates/Barry are tinkering with running a 4-2-5 defense, with 3 safeties and 2 CB's on the outside. Keeps more speed on the field, and still fits in with Bates' principles of forcing or funneling plays to the middle of the defense.

Just always weery of stories like this that appear pre-draft.
DeadEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:30 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Phillips definitely has the size and ability to play the position. However, in today's NFL I like him in his current role in the defense. He's very effective supporting the run in the box. Piscitelli plays with the same demeanor but he's more lanky and doesn't provide the pop that Phillips does to stop backs for minimal gains.

I fully support this idea because Phillips will have a chance to showcase his abilities to the coaches and we could possibly see an innovative pass defense with Jackson, Piscitelli and Phillips on the field together. Combine that with Barrett Ruud and you have a tremendous "interior" pass defense. Hopefully Barber can stay on his feet this year and then I can remove the word interior from the sentence.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-18-2009, 10:34 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Oh yeah...and Angelo Crowell was signed....no one made a thread.

I don't see the need for Phillips to play LB with Hayes, Hayward and Black all vying for a starting OLB spot. But it's never a bad idea to make a veteran more versatile.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-18-2009, 11:01 PM    (permalink
rockio42
Pro Bowler

rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am surprised no one is showing happiness over Crowell...he should beast up in that scheme...

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.
rockio42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:03 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

I'm happy....we don't have to draft a LB and that means NO CUSHING.

Similar to the June signing, except Crowell is actually good.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-18-2009, 11:32 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

It's a good, solid signing.

It definitely gives Morris & co a solid veteran who can easily step in and start if non of either Hayward, Hayes or Black are ready to start.