Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 01-05-2014, 11:47 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2014 Offseason & Draft Thread

Welp, okay. This is what we get to look forward to now.

TEAM NEEDS:

1. DB
2. WR
3. DL
4. More DBs?

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:55 AM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd probably add a TE. I wouldn't reach for one but if there is one there in the first that represents best value, I'd take him. I'm just not comfortable with crossing in my fingers and HOPING that Travis Kelce is OK.
TheMatriculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:19 PM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatriculator View Post
I'd probably add a TE. I wouldn't reach for one but if there is one there in the first that represents best value, I'd take him. I'm just not comfortable with crossing in my fingers and HOPING that Travis Kelce is OK.
I can see TE as a priority. I'm just not sure I'd put a ton of emphasis on it in the offseason. Only way I'd target TE is if we got another WR or two beforehand. IDK, maybe in hindsight we should have pressed more for Josh Gordon when he was available.
KaneMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:14 PM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneMarko View Post
I can see TE as a priority. I'm just not sure I'd put a ton of emphasis on it in the offseason. Only way I'd target TE is if we got another WR or two beforehand. IDK, maybe in hindsight we should have pressed more for Josh Gordon when he was available.
I would. The Tight End position is a huge spot when Alex Smith is your QB and you're running a WCO.

Fasano is cooked and they don't have a starting quality TE on the roster.

Team needs:
1. FS (They're gonna need a lot of luck here. Bad year to be shopping for a safety.)
2. WR/TE (Obvious reasons are obvious.)
3. DE (No way is Tyson Jackson worth an extension)
4. LG (Jeff Allen is bad. Really bad.)

The corners need to work themselves out of their funk and the pass-rush has to improve.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:18 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think Jeff Allen is as bad as you say. Asamoah has gotta go though.

Here is a list of our impending free agents and what I think we should do. You should feel the freedom to correct or disagree with every single one of my decisions.

Branden Albert: Let him walk. He's too expensive and he's too injury prone.

Tyson Jackson: I'd personally re-sign him if he takes a hometown discount. He has gotten better. If he won't, bye.

Jon Asamoah: Bye. Let him be another teams problem.

Dexter McCluster: Re-sign. Good ST guy and can maybe develop more in the slot.

Kendrick Lewis: Do I even need to say?

Geoff Schwartz: MUST re-sign. He's a very clear upgrade on the interior.

Frank Zombo: Meh. Depth I guess.

Akeem Jordan: Honestly no idea. Did you see this guy make a play this year? If so you could count them on one hand. No idea if Nico is ready but if he is, I'd get rid of Jordan.

Thomas Gafford: Re-sign. A good longsnapper is hard to find. You don't notice them until they're gone.

Hussain Abdullah: Re-sign but not if he wants a lot of money. Solid depth and ST guy, but realistically shouldn't be starting.

Quintin Demps: See above. Great KRer, so he's got that going for him I guess.

Ricky Henry: Who? Bye.

Anthony Toribio: Bye.

Kyle Williams: Bye.

Richard Gordon: Bye

Jerrell Powe: I'd probably get rid of him too, but if they want to develop him and move Poe to a DE spot on some downs, ok.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:59 PM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jeff Allen had his **** pushed in week in and out and would of been by far the worst ranked lineman if it weren't for super safe draftpick Eric Fisher. He's awful.

Toribio was cut long ago and Kyle Williams might as well retire. Also, not really sure why Allen Bailey couldn't replicate what Tyson Jackson has done at 1/10'th of the salary.

Wouldn't really surprise me if Albert, Jackson and McCluster all end up walking. Albert for obvious reasons, Tyson Jackson isn't really worth retaining and it wouldn't surprise me if a team overpays to get Dexter. The Chiefs need to be a lot more frugal this free agency.

Last edited by TonyGfortheTD : 01-05-2014 at 07:04 PM.
TonyGfortheTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:05 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Geoff Schwartz is probably the only must I would have, followed by should with McCluster and Jackson. I have more thoughts but I'm at work. Will post tomorrow or so.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:56 AM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGfortheTD View Post
I would. The Tight End position is a huge spot when Alex Smith is your QB and you're running a WCO.

Fasano is cooked and they don't have a starting quality TE on the roster.

Team needs:
1. FS (They're gonna need a lot of luck here. Bad year to be shopping for a safety.)
2. WR/TE (Obvious reasons are obvious.)
3. DE (No way is Tyson Jackson worth an extension)
4. LG (Jeff Allen is bad. Really bad.)

The corners need to work themselves out of their funk and the pass-rush has to improve.
Don't get me wrong. TEs are important. But, IMO, not as important as a WR. For me, I'd take a great WR over a great TE. But perhaps that just me. The problem with the Chiefs offense lies more in what they have at WR than at TE for me. Fasano isn't a bad TE. He won't be mistaken for Gonzo of course. But he's a more than capable option at TE when healthy. If the Chiefs can get an upgrade at TE, cool. But I'd put that need somewhere behind WR. JMHO.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:05 AM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. TEs are important. But, IMO, not as important as a WR. For me, I'd take a great WR over a great TE. But perhaps that just me. The problem with the Chiefs offense lies more in what they have at WR than at TE for me. Fasano isn't a bad TE. He won't be mistaken for Gonzo of course. But he's a more than capable option at TE when healthy. If the Chiefs can get an upgrade at TE, cool. But I'd put that need somewhere behind WR. JMHO.
I don't think any of us would disagree with you but given the position the Chiefs will draft in, it's quite likely that there will be no great WR available. There might be a great TE and that's all I'm saying. I'd rather see the team take the best TE in the draft rather than reach for a WR who might not be that good.

The Chiefs have a number of needs and if one player stands out in any of those areas, I hope the Chiefs take him. What I don't want to see is a return to the days of drafting solely based on need (back when we passed up Jerry Rice to take Ethan Horton). Of course, based on last year, I don't think Dorsey & Reid will do that.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:21 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

It would be fantastic if Ha Ha was available at 23, but that doesn't look likely.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:26 PM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
It would be fantastic if Ha Ha was available at 23, but that doesn't look likely.
Ha Ha would make me smile.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:13 PM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

Quote:
Fasano looked old and slow Saturday and at his peak he's just okay.

I'd be perfectly fine if they landed a great receiver instead of a great tight end, but I'd place my preference on landing a great tight end early.

Having a great Tight End is a huge asset for an offense in the red zone and on 3rd downs. I think we'd agree that the Chiefs had struggles in both instances during 2013. Also in personal opinion, I think they bring more to the table as blockers.

Now with that said, I'm not discounting what a good blocking wide receiver brings to the table. Nor am I discounting the fact that the Chiefs need a receiver that can produce huge plays.

I am also inclined to say go Tight End early because the talent and the depth at Wide Receiver in this draft is shaping up to be flat out ridiculous. I'd see no reason why the Chiefs couldn't solve both dilemmas if they make the correct decisions in May.

Last edited by TonyGfortheTD : 01-06-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:23 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

The first problem to solve is FS. Kendrick Lewis simply cannot start another game for this team. Ever.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:51 PM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

I don't think anyone is going to disagree that FS is the biggest hole on the team, it's just the prospects of fixing it are not good.

Landing HaHa Clinton-Dix is a long shot and well this safety class is bad. I think they're gonna have to look for a stop-gap and wait it out for better class.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:05 PM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I'd be perfectly fine if they landed a great receiver instead of a great tight end, but I'd place my preference on landing a great tight end early.

Having a great Tight End is a huge asset for an offense in the red zone and on 3rd downs. I think we'd agree that the Chiefs had struggles in both instances during 2013. Also in personal opinion, I think they bring more to the table as blockers.

Now with that said, I'm not discounting what a good blocking wide receiver brings to the table. Nor am I discounting the fact that the Chiefs need a receiver that can produce huge plays.

I am also inclined to say go Tight End early because the talent and the depth at Wide Receiver in this draft is shaping up to be flat out ridiculous. I'd see no reason why the Chiefs couldn't solve both dilemmas if they make the correct decisions in May.
I think it'd be awesome to have two legit Tight Ends(Kelce, and a high first rounder) and I'm guessing Reid will want to go that way based on where were picking in the first round. Alex Smith carved up the packers(?) with Vernon Davis as his only threat, imagine what he can do with two TE?

I think we already have a great blocking WR in D-Bowe. After the colts game, I'm not sure if D-bowe will ever be a true number 1 WR. He put up big numbers, just couldn't reel it in when he needed too. I did like some of the plays Hemmingway made and would like to see more of what he can do. What are the chances Maclin comes back to play for Andy and his State?
Old 01-07-2014, 01:08 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As far as the Chiefs internal Free Agents go, I've divided them into 3 Categories:

Category 1 (Must Keep):
Geoff Schwartz - Likely starting right guard and valuable swing tackle.

Tyson Jackson - The defensive line starts to look dangerously thin without him. I like his physicality and aggressiveness and that he doesn't have to live up to #3 overall anymore.

Thomas Gafford - Good long snapper.

Husain Abdullah - Top flight reserve and special teamer, makes plays.

Category 2 (Keep If Feasible):
Branden Albert - Most likely too expensive, but he's better than Stephenson and Fisher.

Dexter McCluster - Undersized but finally used correctly on offense. Punt returner primarily, he was a factor in the Chiefs Indy loss due to his running out of bounds.

Quentin Demps - Primarily interested as a kick returner. Contributed to the Chiefs loss by constantly running it out of the end zone 8 and 9 yards deep.

Jon Asamoah - Most will say he needs to go, but I think he becomes a top flight reserve offensive lineman. Only if he's cheap.

Frank Zombo - Actually played about as well as expected as a reserve, plus valuable special teamer.

Akeem Jordan - Was solid next to DJ's flash. No idea if Nico is able to step up.

Category 3 (Bye bye):
Henry, Toribio, Williams, Gordon, Powe, Lewis - No comments necessary.

I also went through and picked out some potential free agents from other teams:

Jeremy Maclin is a popular name, and Emmanuel Sanders I think will be an interesting name on the market.

I can't imagine Jermichael Finley staying in Green Bay and he might be able to be had on a bargain.

I would spend good money for either one of or both of Alex Mack, the Center from Cleveland or Lamarr Houston the end from Oakland. Both are fantastic players that would solidify those units.

I would also investigate how much Ziggy Hood or Linval Joseph might be on the market.

I also heard Mathias Kiwanuka could be a cap casualty, if so I would very much take a look at him. I don't think he could be an every down player, but having him backing up Houston and Hali plus having Poe, Houston, Hali and Kiwi on the field for passing situations makes the defense look a lot better.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:45 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

As far as needs that need to be addressed:

QB - Alex Smith needs to be extended. I like Daniel as a backup, I like Bray as a developmental type. He needs tons of offseason reps. They need to keep looking for the QBOTF.

RB - You can't predict or plan for having your top two backs going down. Jamaal's a stud, hopefully he can keep up the pace a few more years. Knile looks like he'll be good, hopefully the knee wasn't serious. Cyrus could be upgraded.

WR - Big time question area. No reason Chad Hall has a spot on the roster. Avery and McCluster could be lethal in the slots if they had another receiver opposite Bowe. Definite round one possibility, in my opinion.

TE - Same. Who knows what they have in Kelce. Probably wouldn't take a TE in round 1 unless maybe it's Ebron or Amaro, maybe.

OL - Stephenson-Allen-Hudson-Schwartz-Fisher looks to be the starting line next year. Upgrades could be had. I really like Rishaw Johnson, Rokevious Watkins and Eric Kush in the middle, I thought they looked good in the preseason and in the San Diego game. If Albert walks you've got nothing else at tackle, unless you're swinging Schartz around, but I don't like doing that. High priority.

DL - Poe is a stud. Would like to see more consistency pass rushing, but I can't complain. Jackson is a workhorse. See flashes from Bailey and Catapano, but I think this should be a high priority as well.

LB - Houston and Hali need help from the line, but they are good. Houston I think is already a better, more well-rounded player than Hali is. DJ is a stud. Don't like the depth here.

DB - I'm going to blame coaching, talent and lack of a pass rush for the Chiefs ineptitude versus the pass. They don't jam or redirect, they give free releases, the give up the inside far too frequently. These are coaching things, fundamentals. Then the league started murdering the Chiefs with crossers and they stuck with man coverage, you have to throw some zone in there to keep the offenses honest. That's coaching. Free safety would be a first round possibility, as would a corner.

All in all, the Chiefs should look for franchise QB, if available, then the best pass catcher or pass rusher or defensive back. Odell Beckham, Kony Ealy, Bradley Roby and Darqueze Dennard, as well as the tight ends are some names that excite me, after a possible trade down, of course.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:02 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

I figure I'd review the Chiefs class of 2013 while I'm here:

1. Eric Fisher - Mixed bag. Don't like how injury prone he is. Dude needs a good solid off-season in the weight room. Jury is still out, will give him a C- for his rookie year.

3. Travis Kelce - Right now, failing grade simply cause he didn't make it out of camp. I don't like micro-fracture surgeries, hopefully he can recover. F.

3. Knile Davis - Strong kick returner, really came on strong as a running back, late. Easily Chiefs rookie of the year. Get rid of fumble-itis and the injury bug and the future looks bright. B-.

4. Nico Johnson - Don't even remember him on special teams. I'm going to hold his inability to beat out Akeem Jordan against him. F.

5. Sanders Commings - Injured on day one, flashed with one tackle in only game, then injured again. Hopefully not a sign of things to come because this was my favorite pick. This may be the free safety solution, but right now he's an F.

6. Eric Kush - I like him. Good developmental type interior offensive lineman, and he's got some size. I want to see him after a year in a pro weight program, he gets a D- simply because he's blocked by Hudson.

6. Braden Wilson - F. Drafted a fullback and immediately traded for another one, didn't even make it to camp. And the Chiefs kept 2 different fullbacks on their practice squad over him. How much better would this pick have been if spent on Da'rick Rogers or even Marcus Cooper?

7. Mike Catapano - I like his potential, he needs time in a pro weight room. He either needs to bulk up to keep his hand in the dirt or slim down so he can play in space. Solid on special teams, which is why he gets a C-.

I think this class has a ton of potential down the road, when you get your injured guys back, plus if you add Cooper and Bray to the class (which I do) it could potentially be a very good haul for the Chiefs down the road.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:44 AM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What are the chances Maclin comes back to play for Andy and his State?
As much as I'd like to see Maclin come back, I'd pass. I think his knees are ticking timebombs and the probability that he would be a FA bust is high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagewarrior View Post
I can't imagine Jermichael Finley staying in Green Bay and he might be able to be had on a bargain.
Jermichael Finley really needs to just retire.

Last edited by TonyGfortheTD : 01-10-2014 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:38 AM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatriculator View Post
I don't think any of us would disagree with you but given the position the Chiefs will draft in, it's quite likely that there will be no great WR available. There might be a great TE and that's all I'm saying. I'd rather see the team take the best TE in the draft rather than reach for a WR who might not be that good.

The Chiefs have a number of needs and if one player stands out in any of those areas, I hope the Chiefs take him. What I don't want to see is a return to the days of drafting solely based on need (back when we passed up Jerry Rice to take Ethan Horton). Of course, based on last year, I don't think Dorsey & Reid will do that.
Well, it is early and there still a lot TBD as to who going to go where. I don't think we're very far apart in our stances. Alex Smith is one that throws to the TE a lot. But, he also needs to get better about getting the WRs more involved. A TE, unless they are one of the SUPER TEs like what Gonzo was or Gronk or Vernon Davis, can only do so much with regards to threatening the field.

We don't know what Kelce is at this point because we haven't seen him. I'm higher on Fasano than you are. I think he's a quality TE to have on the roster. He won't get mistaken for Vernon Davis or anything. But I don't think you're going to lose games because Fasano is playing or even starting for you. Although you can certainly upgrade over Fasano because at this point, there's probably not much upside with him. He is what he is.

But, with regards to WR, like I said earlier, it's way early and prospects are still declaring. I'm starting to actually salivate a little over the idea of drafting big Kelvin Benjamin out of FSU when the Chiefs pick in the first round if he's there (TBD whether he will be or not of course). But, then again, the TE from UNC is also intriguing.

Whatever the case, I'd like to see the Chiefs, especially if they are going to stick with Alex Smith for a few more years, get aggressive about adding some big play threats to this offense. As it stands right now, with regards to big plays, it kinda starts and ends with #25. And as brilliant as Jamaal Charles is, that's not enough.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:49 AM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

Quote:

As I said in another post, it's early and we don't know who is going to be available when. Like I said, IMO, there is only so much a TE can do to threaten a field (unless they are one of the super TEs like Vernon Davis or something who have receiver range).

But, IMO, redzone and 3rd down passing isn't necessarily all about TEs. WR can be just as effective in the redzone and 3rd down as a TE.

I see the importance of the TE. And the Chiefs have a need there. But, as I mentioned, I just think the need is a little greater at WR. Of course if there is a good TE prospect there at 23 that's projected as a solid 1st round pick and the next WR isn't projected to go till the mid/late 2nd round, then take the TE. But, if it's relatively close, I'd take the WR over the TE. But that's just my opinion.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:07 PM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
As I said in another post, it's early and we don't know who is going to be available when. Like I said, IMO, there is only so much a TE can do to threaten a field (unless they are one of the super TEs like Vernon Davis or something who have receiver range).

But, IMO, redzone and 3rd down passing isn't necessarily all about TEs. WR can be just as effective in the redzone and 3rd down as a TE.

I see the importance of the TE. And the Chiefs have a need there. But, as I mentioned, I just think the need is a little greater at WR. Of course if there is a good TE prospect there at 23 that's projected as a solid 1st round pick and the next WR isn't projected to go till the mid/late 2nd round, then take the TE. But, if it's relatively close, I'd take the WR over the TE. But that's just my opinion.
Is WR that big of a need though? I think the big question is whether or not a FA will be good enough to move Avery to the slot. Is there any guys on our roster that might be able to make the move to Number 2? Hemmingway?Maybe I'm biased as a physical therapist, but Maclin should be back to 100%...maybe not psychologically, but he should be physically ready to go. The FSU WR reminds of Baldwin too much.
I'm just hoping Haha Dix(that jersey might not sell too well eh?) drops for some reason. What about trading up for him? 1. Is he that good? The last couple years the later picks seems to have been required like a 4th rounder or better. Just a couple thoughts.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:27 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of Clinton-Dix. I'll need to watch more of him. I really think, as much as Lewis needs to be replaced, upgrading the receivers, tight ends, and defensive line is much more important. And I think I'd take a corner 1st rather than a safety at this point. And, I really think the Chiefs need to think about a quarterback if one of the top ones is available in the 1st.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:30 AM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
Is WR that big of a need though? I think the big question is whether or not a FA will be good enough to move Avery to the slot. Is there any guys on our roster that might be able to make the move to Number 2? Hemmingway?Maybe I'm biased as a physical therapist, but Maclin should be back to 100%...maybe not psychologically, but he should be physically ready to go. The FSU WR reminds of Baldwin too much.
I'm just hoping Haha Dix(that jersey might not sell too well eh?) drops for some reason. What about trading up for him? 1. Is he that good? The last couple years the later picks seems to have been required like a 4th rounder or better. Just a couple thoughts.
Well, every one of us Chiefs fans has a different view on what can make the Chiefs better. For me, I just think WR is a pretty big issue. Bowe had his worst year by a pretty significant margin this year. The only year worse that this one for him was a year that he he didn't play all 16 games. And then even with Bowe, who is our #2 guy? Bowe will hit 30 about the time the season opens. And he's never really been a speed guy. So at what point does he start to decline? Or has he already? IDK.

I wouldn't mind getting Maclin assuming doctors say his knee is fully healed. He'd add a guy that has shown the ability to take the top off the defense. If he's signed, then I'd move WR down just a bit on the list of priorities.

I just think, as it stands right now, the WR group we have didn't really provide a lot of consistent plays this year. And maybe it's not all them. I think some of it may be Alex's reluctance to throw risky passes and settle for various check down and shorter passes. Etc. But, I just think in this league where we're seeing more and more need for big passing plays, our WRs, one way or another, has to get better. Be it by adding talent or the guys we have getting better. Just my opinion.

Maybe I'm a bit biased but I'm just not sure about taking another safety high in this draft. I know we have a big need there. But I feel we've been drafting safties on this team forever: Berry, Lewis, Pollard, Page, Commings, etc. I think there is a need there and I wouldn't mind drafting one. I'm just not sure I'd feel comfortable drafting one in the first. Plus, and I may be in the minority, but I just don't trust DBs from Alabama.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:55 AM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

I'm with you on the safety front. I think you should groom Commings and bring in a cheaper solid vet to compete with him.

Quote:

Can a WR be as effective as TE in the redzone? Sure. Judging by the years I've seen Alex Smith play, I think he'd look at his TE first though.

The thing about this is the Chiefs aren't shopping for a #1 WR. Like or hate Bowe, he's just entering year two into a long term deal and the Chiefs haven't indicated at all that they are wavering from him. The Chiefs are going to be shopping for a # 2/3. The draft and Free Agency is going to be literally overflowing with options to fill those roles. Why feel pressed to burn the top pick for that?