Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 01-03-2012, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
Mangini?
I don't think it would be the end of the world.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:55 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Todd Grantham, current DC for the Georgia Bulldogs and was the DC for RAC in Cleveland. Knows the system (hell, they run the same scheme..) and knows RAC. Perfect fit.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:36 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mangini is actually a very good HC and he could be a great DC, but not with the Chiefs. He'd be here for a year and move on. I don't have a lot of confidence in him working well with Romeo and the rest of the incumbent staff, to be honest. Mangini likes to have a lot more control than I'd want him to have with the Chiefs.

Not sure if I can explain the difference very well, but I would love to see Mangini back with the Pats as the DC/Asst HC next year.

And I do like Grantham as someone who is available and would plug in to the DC spot with the current staff very well.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:38 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

plus considering Mangini was the one who ratted on the Pats for SPygate doubt Pioli would want anything to do with him

Grantham is actually not a bad suggestion.As vidae said worked for RAC before and his system is similair.I'd also look at Tom Clements (GB QB Coach) for OC
Old 01-03-2012, 03:55 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pioli would have hired Mangini or McDaniels if they'd been available by the time he got the job. I think everyone's gotten over it at this point. All parties have met privately and it's done.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:39 PM    (permalink
chief_fan88
Rookie

chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chief_fan88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
Don't get me wrong I think Emmitt Thomas has done a great job and needs to stay but in his current role.

As for Raheem Morris I'm not sure he would be a good fit for a 3-4 team. I dam sure don't want to switch back to a 4-3.
I thought about that with Morris, but I have a feeling whoever is the DC is more just in title only, and I think he could really help some of the young guys on the D. I also thought about Thomas as DC and Morris as DB coach but I don't know if he takes that much of a step down.

Although I am liking the Grantham suggestion.
chief_fan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:13 PM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think your right. it would be in title only. Romeo would still call the defensive plays on Sundays. however, there would be alot of weekly game planning and schemes that would need to be done by the DC without Romeo over seeing everything. that will require quite abit of familiarity. having a past history with a coach will make that transition alot easier. if Romeo picks a guys to be DC, then i am cool with whoever it is. i'm guessing that he knows the guy best suited for the job and it's requirements. what i'm not ok with would be Pioli pushing someone on Romeo. i feel like on multiple occassions, Pioli hired a coach without Haley's blessing. this will only lead to more hard times for this franchise. Romeo needs to pick his own staff for the defense.
King Carls 5 Year Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:34 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Carls 5 Year Plan View Post
what i'm not ok with would be Pioli pushing someone on Romeo. i feel like on multiple occassions, Pioli hired a coach without Haley's blessing. this will only lead to more hard times for this franchise. Romeo needs to pick his own staff for the defense.
Pioli hired guys for Haley because Haley was ****** at it. Haley worked with Pioli to bring guys in that first year, but - remember - they were very tight for time, so it was a bit rushed and they didn't have that great of a selection. Chan Gailey was retained because they just couldn't find anyone else, and then they brought in Clancy Pendergast to run a **** defense.

It just so happened that Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis were both available the next year. So Pioli hired them (no brainer), and they made adjustments to the staffs.

If Pioli hires guys for Crennel, it's not going to be much different than Crennel hiring the guys himself because they're both working with the same list of names. Which is another good reason to be excited about Romeo. There's a ton more synergy and competent thought throughout the team with RAC at the helm.

Last edited by nepg : 01-03-2012 at 07:41 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:51 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chiefs Interviewing Packers Offensive Coordinator, According To Report

Also.

Quote:
Schefter reports that the Chiefs have already had several interviews, although they’re keeping the names of the other coaches they’re interviewing under wraps.

Last edited by Splat : 01-04-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:18 AM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Todd Grantham, current DC for the Georgia Bulldogs and was the DC for RAC in Cleveland. Knows the system (hell, they run the same scheme..) and knows RAC. Perfect fit.
Uhhh, I thought Grantham was fired by Romeo in his last year at Cleveland and replaced by Mel Tucker.
TheMatriculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:14 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting.. they really do keep things locked up in KC, don't they?

How much of that Packers offense is Philbin anyway? McCarthy calls the plays and has since he got there. What exactly would we be getting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatriculator View Post
Uhhh, I thought Grantham was fired by Romeo in his last year at Cleveland and replaced by Mel Tucker.
He was fired but I don't know if it was by Romeo or it was a GM/Owner thing. Mel Tucker is another interesting name at least. I seriously doubt they keep him as a HC there in Jacksonville.

Last edited by vidae : 01-04-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:49 AM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Interesting.. they really do keep things locked up in KC, don't they?

How much of that Packers offense is Philbin anyway? McCarthy calls the plays and has since he got there. What exactly would we be getting?

He was fired but I don't know if it was by Romeo or it was a GM/Owner thing. Mel Tucker is another interesting name at least. I seriously doubt they keep him as a HC there in Jacksonville.
Personally, I think this is just Pioli doing his "due diligence" in interviewing Philbin.

As for the Grantham firing, maybe that was Romeo "going rogue." ;-)

OTOH, Grantham's last year with the Browns wasn't a real resume builder, 25th against the pass, 27th against the run, and 30th in total-yards-against.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:55 PM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

Scratch Jeff Fisher from your list of candidates according to Bob Gretz.

Quote:
We’ve learned that last week at the offices of Hunt Sports Group in Dallas, former Tennessee Titans head coach Jeff Fisher sat down for an interview with the Chiefs about their open head coaching job.

Scheduled to last all afternoon, the meeting broke up after a bit more than two hours when Fisher said good bye. He later indicated he was not interested in being the head coach of the Chiefs.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Quote:
He later indicated he was not interested in being the head coach of the Chiefs.
I'm not interested in having him as the head coach of the Chiefs.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:00 PM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Scratch Jeff Fisher from your list of candidates according to Bob Gretz.
i gotta spread some rep around, Mat. then, i'll hit ya back. good info. Fishnuts probably wanted more $ than Clark was willing to spend and wanted more input in the drafting/signing of players. Pioli won't give that power up. plus, i bet a switching back to a 43 was another. hell, i bet after 30 minutes both Jeff and the Chiefs knew this would never work out.

i agree with both parties. this doesnt, look on paper, to be a match made in heaven. the Chiefs can't afford to rebuild. Jeff wants to prove his value, but i think it's kind of a shame. i think Fisher will be a good coach somehere. he has done more with alot less than what the Chief have got. i know alot of people think he was mediocre, but i think he's better than that. he's 22 games over .500 in the regular season and 1 game under in the playoffs. he led a team to a SB. he has 6 seasons of 10+ wins and only three (i dont count '94 because he was an interim HC) times been held under 7 wins in a season. i just think he will have success somewhere sooner rather than later
King Carls 5 Year Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:47 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I'm not too upset that Fisher doesn't want to coach here. I do like him as a coach though.. I'm just glad he isn't coming to the AFC West.

Of course, this could be a smokescreen and maybe he is coming here? You know how ridiculously secretive Pioli and co are.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:56 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

If it was last week, that was before the San Diego job was given back to Norv.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:49 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Interesting little tidbit, especially for those who keep mocking us an OLB because they think that Justin Houston "is a bust"..

no 3-4 OLB dropped into coverage more than Justin Houston (42.6%) followed by James Harrison (40.4%)

other top 3-4 OLBs like Hali (88.7%), Ware (85%) and Wake (92.8%) rush passer a lot more

Old 01-05-2012, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Justin Houston is going to be a monster. Anyone that thinks other wise didn't watch the Chiefs from midseason on.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:34 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

People just don't understand...

And didn't they flip Tamba and Houston later in the season when Houston started putting up bigger pass rush numbers? I remember him playing a ton of SLB (which isn't what he did in college) and then WLB later in the year.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:39 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I think that was more of them moving Tamba around to confuse offensive lines. RAC let JHou rush a lot more no matter where he was at.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:56 PM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

Jack Del Rio interviewing for Chiefs head coach job
...http://www.kctv5.com/story/16458098/...head-coach-job

Jack Del Rio!!! Give me a break!

And no I haven't forgotten Del Rio sucker punching Otis Taylor and calling him "a dirty scab and a lowlife" during the 1987 strike.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:35 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Quote:
Jack Del Rio interviewing for Chiefs head coach job.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:45 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

The Rams aren't going to block McDaniels from leaving if he wants. He is going to interview with us and the Patriots.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Old 01-06-2012, 11:50 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Rams aren't going to block McDaniels from leaving if he wants. He is going to interview with us and the Patriots.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
*hugs vidae* it's ok we'll cry together if this happens

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote