Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:16 PM    (permalink
B S D

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
If this rule was just outlawing helmet to helmet hits I would be all for it. I would rather they just get stricter on that aspect. But to outlaw shoulder pad to helmet hits is what I don't agree with.

The fact of the matter is, these people choose to play football, not to mention they are well compensated for it. I have had a couple concussions, and my back is ****** from playing football. But I knew what I was getting into when I did it. So do NFL players.

This is coming from someone who has taken those types of hits at a relatively high level. Does it suck when you get your bell rung? Of course it does, but it is also part of the game. What are the most memorable hits of all time? The ones when the helmet goes flying off, right? This has nothing to do with trying to act tough, at least for me. It has to do with them outlawing some of my fondest memories of watching football as a kid.
How many times did those hits leave you seriously injured, paralyzed, or worse? There are risks anytime you compete in football but why not do everything we can to minimize those risks so we don't have as many Terrence Murphy stories.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:26 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B S D View Post
How many times did those hits leave you seriously injured, paralyzed, or worse? There are risks anytime you compete in football but why not do everything we can to minimize those risks so we don't have as many Terrence Murphy stories.
Personally, I don't think there is anything worse than being paralyzed. But luckily, never. I was lucky to escape relatively unscathed.

How many times have you seen someone get blown up(by a hit that is being outlawed) and get up, shake their head and laugh about it? They knew it was a good, clean hit, and that it wouldn't have happened had they had their head on a swivel. This rule is outlawing a clean hit. Why not make a rule that you can't go for a running backs legs, since there are so many serious knee injuries from that. This is a slippery slope.

I didn't mind the horse collar rule, once I realized they weren't outlawing jumping on the back to bring someone down, just grabbing the inside of their shoulder pad to do it.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:43 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hitting the head of an unprotected player should be illegal someone could be killed, shoulder to shoulder, or going low is going to take them out of the play. If it can be done just as easily in a safer manner it should be enforced.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:11 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

now that most of the rules have passed. How does a offesive player like a WR block a 250 lb Lb, take a shot to the knees, use arms and get owned,....
Old 03-24-2009, 05:46 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
now that most of the rules have passed. How does a offesive player like a WR block a 250 lb Lb, take a shot to the knees, use arms and get owned,....
You squat down and put your eyes in his numbers. That's how you're taught since pop warner.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:16 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
You squat down and put your eyes in his numbers. That's how you're taught since pop warner.
Exactly, I'm not the biggest guy 5"10 200 pounds and I used to take down guys twice my size. You get low and you drive with your legs.

If you hit someone round the head with your shoulder it's a dangerous move and sure, it's easy to say "football isn't ballet or golf" but it's not you being strapped to a stretcher, going for MRI's and having your family surrounding you worried about your health because some guy can't be bothered aiming a few inches lower when he hits you.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:44 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Again, my concern isn't necessarily the rule in place. It's the enforcement of the rule.

Are they going to call on the side of caution? Because like they even said in the article, months later they're still trying to determine if Hines hit him at all in the head.

It may be just me, but I wanted the rules more streamlined and yet now again they're giving more and more gray area for the refs to try to determine in a split second if this or that happened.

I wouldn't care as much if they had full-time refs, but, even so, it's still yet another thing that has to be determined too quickly and often at too hard of an angle or viewpoint to see clearly.

They're saying that Hines hit was clean. My guess if that rule was in place, it would be still a "Clean" hit but it would be flagged just so the refs play the "better safe than sorry" route.

I remember a bunch of threads devoted to the ridiculous roughing the passer calls. What happens when the refs start botching these and costing teams valuable yardage.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:05 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

You deal with it and move on, at the end of the day player safety is more important than a penalty.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:37 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
You deal with it and move on, at the end of the day player safety is more important than a penalty.
So you were not at all offended with the over-protection of the QB's last season which even resulted in the Bronco's stealing a win from San Diego.

When your season can hinge on 1 extra win that season, just "Deal with it and move on" isn't exactly a great strategy.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:03 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
So you were not at all offended with the over-protection of the QB's last season which even resulted in the Bronco's stealing a win from San Diego.

When your season can hinge on 1 extra win that season, just "Deal with it and move on" isn't exactly a great strategy.
Slightly different things to compare if you ask me, but use it if you like.

My understanding is that the Broncos stole the game on a bad call that wasn't necessarily due to over-protection of the QB.

If this play causes a team to lose a game then the player who commited the penalty made a boneheaded play....plain and simple.

Boy do people sure whine a lot...

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:06 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How about less KR for TD.

You not allowed to wedge players together, well not 3 players, only 2 players per wedge.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:25 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post

My understanding is that the Broncos stole the game on a bad call that wasn't necessarily due to over-protection of the QB.

If this play causes a team to lose a game then the player who commited the penalty made a boneheaded play....plain and simple.

You are supposed to lower your pad level to change direction, it isn't a boneheaded play to blindside someone who is crouched down.

I don't mind the other three rules, because they don't take away a big part of the game(although I'm not completely sure what the 2 man wedge is supposed to accomplish.)
Old 03-26-2009, 02:33 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post

It's not even whining.

I'm just pointing out a couple facts.

Refs were told to be more cautious with QB's after Brady's knee injury. Then Ed Hochuli blows a whistle pre-emptively because Cutler looked like he was about to be hit, ergo blowing a turnover. Thats on Hochuli and the league.

The only thing I'm getting at is these part time refs have enough to focus for on their plate, but now they have to make even more judgment calls. Which means more bad calls.

Like I said, Hines was a clean hit, but I would be anyone here if that exact play happened this season, Hines would be getting a flag, because of the impact and the fact that they can't review it.. have to waver towards caution.

And I find the most interesting part about Rivers injury? it was caused by his head hitting the ground, not Ward's hit.

So yeah, with so many subjective calls, they should either hire refs fulltime or start making the rules more black and white.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:01 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post

The chargers still made the playoffs and Hochuli's call was a blatant mistake, it's not likely to happen with the new rules. You're saying it means there's going to be more bad calls. Hochuli stuffing up was an anomaly, not the norm.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:19 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

You know what i'm surprised hasn't happen yet the "Tom Brady Rule" the new "Palmer rule" no diving at a defenseless qb legs, when your on the ground. Now that would be stupid, your telling the defensive player pretty much to quit, if you on ground and diving distance away. Instead they have to get up pretty much all the way waste time and think about where they are going to hit the qb. Also the qb is never defenseless, unless he doesn't have the ball is standing there. Also if this had happened to Dan Orlovsky no one would even care.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:32 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You know what i'm surprised hasn't happen yet the "Tom Brady Rule" the new "Palmer rule" no diving at a defenseless qb legs, when your on the ground. Now that would be stupid, your telling the defensive player pretty much to quit, if you on ground and diving distance away. Instead they have to get up pretty much all the way waste time and think about where they are going to hit the qb. Also the qb is never defenseless, unless he doesn't have the ball is standing there. Also if this had happened to Dan Orlovsky no one would even care.
That was one of the 4 rules that got changed.

I don't have a problem with that, because it only says you cannot lunge at the QB below his knees from the ground.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:43 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Quote:

I don't have a problem with that, because it only says you cannot lunge at the QB below his knees from the ground.
That rule would never have gotten changed if it was not the poster boy of the NFL Tom Brady, or any other high profile qb.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:57 PM    (permalink
captainjack27
Veteran

captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:

That's a garbage rule. I understand lunging at the knees is a problem, but as (Can't believe I'm saying this) as Mike Golic said, wtf is the Dlineman supposed to do? Stand up and make the tackle? Pollard was trying to make a play, I do not fault him at all. And this is only because it's Tom ******* Brady. Remember when Kimo Von Oelhoffen did the same thing to Carson Palmer in the playoffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
LaMarr Woodley, Norse God of Thunder/Baby Jesus/Killer of all things QB, set an NFL record by getting multiple sacks in three consecutive playoff games. Don't **** with LaMarr.
Pittsburgh Steelers....6 Time Champs!
captainjack27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:02 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjack27 View Post
That's a garbage rule. I understand lunging at the knees is a problem, but as (Can't believe I'm saying this) as Mike Golic said, wtf is the Dlineman supposed to do? Stand up and make the tackle? Pollard was trying to make a play, I do not fault him at all. And this is only because it's Tom ******* Brady. Remember when Kimo Von Oelhoffen did the same thing to Carson Palmer in the playoffs?
Google Carson Palmer rule.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:06 PM    (permalink
captainjack27
Veteran

captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Google Carson Palmer rule.
Ok, so Bernie Pollard basically just killed that rule. He had no way else of making that play but diving to hit brady since he was already on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
LaMarr Woodley, Norse God of Thunder/Baby Jesus/Killer of all things QB, set an NFL record by getting multiple sacks in three consecutive playoff games. Don't **** with LaMarr.
Pittsburgh Steelers....6 Time Champs!
captainjack27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:30 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjack27 View Post
Ok, so Bernie Pollard basically just killed that rule. He had no way else of making that play but diving to hit brady since he was already on the ground.
Swiping at his legs, grabbing his legs, all the stuff Dlinemen do most of the time anyway. This rule is a lot like the Horsecollar rule, it takes away one of the more dangerous ways to tackle someone, leaving only the ways that are as effective or more effective to begin with.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:15 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

When your on the ground, and trying to make a tackle explain what the effective way to do it is?
Old 03-26-2009, 04:12 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
When your on the ground, and trying to make a tackle explain what the effective way to do it is?
I did in the last post, and if you would watch a game, you would see that dlinemen rarely lunge at a qbs legs, instead they swipe or grab them. Huge difference.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:20 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I did in the last post, and if you would watch a game, you would see that dlinemen rarely lunge at a qbs legs, instead they swipe or grab them. Huge difference.
swiping and grabing and then rolling is good when your closer than arm distance on the ground. But what about when your on the ground not close enough to swipe?
Old 03-26-2009, 04:28 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
swiping and grabing and then rolling is good when your closer than arm distance on the ground. But what about when your on the ground not close enough to swipe?
Crawl or lunge above the knees... The rule only outlaws lunging at a QB below his knees.