Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-22-2009, 05:51 AM    (permalink
TT Gator
Rookie

TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.
Default Should Byron Leftwich be considered an option for the Jets?

Some ppl believe the Jets will pick a QB in the first round or try to get Jay Cutler. Now if neither of these pan out should management consider signing Byron Leftwich? He's young, talented, and has starting experiance. I believe Jacksonville messed up in '07 by releasing him and that his only mistake was getting hurt. Since then he's played back-up for 2 teams and has played well when called on. In his roughly 2 and half years starting he has 54-38 TD-INT, 9,624 yards, and a QB rating of 80.3. I'm not a huge fan of his but that's not bad. I personally think it'd be better to use our 17th pick on a receiver so we have another threat for are passing game rather than use it on another young QB who may or may not bust but will def need to develop. I think that'd put us in the same position as right now. With our defence being better than it's been in decades we have a shot not only at the playoffs but the Super Bowl. The only things missing are a franchise QB and a starting speed receiver. I'm willing to give are current signal callers a chance but I don't want us being stuck in the middle of the season desperately needing a quarterback. If we have the same QB core after the draft I say sign him and let all of them compete for the starting job in camp.
TT Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:58 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't read that, but no.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:49 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

If he could ever change his delivery he could be a viable option. The problem with him was never his raw physical talent, but more so his mechanics. He held onto the ball far too long, which was a direct result of his delivery being like a football version of a baseball pitcher.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:52 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a Steeler fan, and watching him last year, he has worked hard and made some adjustments to his game. I think the Jets would do well if they don't get Cutler/a rookie.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:03 AM    (permalink
MyLostintention
Pro Bowler

MyLostintention hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The Jets should go for cutler but if they dont get him Byron is much better than Clemens/Ratliff
MyLostintention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:18 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will ask this because it is the second one you have made.

Was this question worth its own thread?
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:16 PM    (permalink
TT Gator
Rookie

TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I will ask this because it is the second one you have made.

Was this question worth its own thread?
Is this not a forum? A place where fans can discuss what they want with who they want? Also i'm not posting on the regular NFL forum but a forum specifically for the Jets and hey guess what? the biggest question coming up this year is what are we going to do at quarterback. The 2 threads I started were about 2 QBs who may be available before next year starts and I was just curious in this one to see if ppl thought Leftwich would be a viable option. I haven't seen much of him since he left Jacksonville and everyone has different opinions. It's funny i've not been on this site long but it seems that to some people this is a private country club or something. With exact rules that they'll enforce if others will not. I mean how are things supposed to work? Is there a set of questions that you wish to give me so I know what kind of questions are worth their own threads? As far as I know this is still a forum so next time give your opinion friend.

Last edited by TT Gator : 03-25-2009 at 02:20 PM.
TT Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:39 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Gator View Post
Is this not a forum? A place where fans can discuss what they want with who they want? Also i'm not posting on the regular NFL forum but a forum specifically for the Jets and hey guess what? the biggest question coming up this year is what are we going to do at quarterback. The 2 threads I started were about 2 QBs who may be available before next year starts and I was just curious in this one to see if ppl thought Leftwich would be a viable option. I haven't seen much of him since he left Jacksonville and everyone has different opinions. It's funny i've not been on this site long but it seems that to some people this is a private country club or something. With exact rules that they'll enforce if others will not. I mean how are things supposed to work? Is there a set of questions that you wish to give me so I know what kind of questions are worth their own threads? As far as I know this is still a forum so next time give your opinion friend.
Is it really necessary to make a thread for every QB the Jets could potentially bring in? Are you going to make a thread for J.P. Losman? Kyle Boller? Rex Grossman? Derek Anderson/Brady Quinn? Gibram Hamden? Kliff Kingsbury? It was one thing when you made a thread for Cutler since there have been rumors that the Jets are interested in trading for him. But this is just a question that popped into your head.

This forum had a New York Jets discussion thread for a reason.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=919

Last edited by Crickett : 03-25-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:14 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Gator View Post
It's not a huge deal, but usually for minor stuff, and even major stuff,we do things in the NYJ discussion. You'll get the same amount of back and forth and replies, but it keeps everything less cluttered.

The majority of posts are in that thread and the 2009 draft thread for a reason, because basically everything fits into those two. Just something to consider for down the road. No reason to get offended, just something to contemplate as we roll through or NYJ discussions.

Also I'm guilty of the same thing quite often and I find it gets you a lot less replies to your posts, but putting everything in one large paragraph makes it a lot harder to read. If you enter and separate your thoughts a bit you're more likely to get people to read through your whole post and give you a good reply. Not being critical, just trying to be helpful.

On topic, maybe, but I don't think so. Leftwich probably profiles as a good backup in the right situation, but here I think we really need to give our younger guys a look and worry about a vet when we figure out who our starter is. At the moment I don't think he's a clear-cut upgrade over the guys we have on the roster, at least not by a considerable amount, and the snaps he'd take would hurt the development of our younger guys. How many games do you think we'd win with Leftwich at QB vs. Clemens or Ratliff? I'd guess it's practically a wash, only the latter two have more upside IMO.

His slow release and immobility may not hurt him here as much as some places because we have an offensive line, but Favre has a quick release and he even struggled some. I think we could use somebody who can go through their reads and progressions, make the right decision, get the ball out quickly, and move around a little if necessary. Leftwich may be able to make the right decision, but the guys we have are more experienced in the system so should be better going through their reads, have to have quicker releases, and are far more mobile.

He has supposedly improved in Pitt as JBond said, so perhaps he's worth a look if the contract is right, but I'd rather stick with the guys on the roster.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote