Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:16 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
i thought CB was a big weakness for you guys last year. although the lack of pass rush probably had a lot to do with it.

from your post, im guessing youre high on Crable and don't view pass rusher as a big need?

i see pass rusher followed by CB as your biggest needs as an outsider to the team.
OLB (pass rusher) and S are the two biggest needs. Merriweather is a stud and Sanders is ok. I agree w/BigBurt - Merriweather at FS and say . . . William Moore at SS . . . :D

Last year the CB spot was the biggest weakness, but with 2 draft picks last year that both ended up injured coming back this year + the addition of Springs & Bodden that should be a strength now. If nothing else it buys NE a season to let Wilhite & Wheatley develop further while hoping Bodden returns to his prior form.

CB is debatable. I don't think it should be a priority in this draft, but there is not a consensus on that among NE fans. Overall the Pats really have the ability to pick any position if they like the player @ a given value. Which is why it's so exciting this year.

Until draft day when they pass on guys I want and pick someone else. ;)

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thats huge for the Pats, we need some youth and talent at a lot of positions and we are in good shape with all these picks.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:30 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

it must be frustrating in a way being a Pats fan and a draftnik. bc you have all these players in mind, and the Pats almost never take them. they always do their own thing on draft day and take people you would never expect.

it works though, so more power to em.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:37 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
it must be frustrating in a way being a Pats fan and a draftnik. bc you have all these players in mind, and the Pats almost never take them. they always do their own thing on draft day and take people you would never expect.

it works though, so more power to em.
Yeah, it is really hard to determine who we are going to take so I just hope for the best and trust the staff. Taking Mankins at 32 a few years back was a big "wtf?" pick but it turned out very well to say the least. I could see it happening again this year, we have obvious holes at multiple positions on defense but we could very well take a lineman in the first round. Last year I was actually suprised when we picked Mayo because it was a huge need but we usually never take true MLBs, all of our starters have usually been converted DEs. I was thrilled when we took him and he has been a stud.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:40 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It can be frustrating. My Michigan homerism made it tough when NE didn't take Woodley.

But I learned early in the BB era that they know what they're doing. The year they took Seymour I was really hoping the pick would be David Terrell. ;)

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
If I was an owner I'd hire a brain trust to crack the damn comp pick formula and then stick to it.
No brain trust needed. Let your free agents get paid somewhere else, and either re-sign your own guys or sign FAs on the cheap as you continue to build through the Draft.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:30 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
No brain trust needed. Let your free agents get paid somewhere else, and either re-sign your own guys or sign FAs on the cheap as you continue to build through the Draft.
Well yeah that's obvious but I am talking about specific #s, so that you can better manipulate it all. So what I'd do is sign certain FAs, or offer them a fair contract. If they leave, build through the draft, get comp picks, each year, and basically keep very little players, because I know I will get those picks back in terms of comp picks.

But the issue is what level or round comp pick do I get? So that part factoring PT, salary, and playoff experience all gets added. So that part I would want my people to crack.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:36 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, the biggest factor is one you can't really control: the average salary your departed player gets in signing his new contract with a different team.

Sure you can control it in the sense that you don't re-sign a marquee player, ex. the Colts with Edgerrin James in '06, the Pats with Asante Samuel in '08.

Average salary is by far the biggest factor, games played/started and success on the field are a distant second and third which can bump a player up or down a few spots.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:44 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well, the biggest factor is one you can't really control: the average salary your departed player gets in signing his new contract with a different team.

Sure you can control it in the sense that you don't re-sign a marquee player, ex. the Colts with Edgerrin James in '06, the Pats with Asante Samuel in '08.

Average salary is by far the biggest factor, games played/started and success on the field are a distant second and third which can bump a player up or down a few spots.
That's true, but I guess one can guess the best course of action is let your 3rd and 2nd tier players go. And if it comes down to first tier players, superstars, it's up to you, because if you do let them go, they will get a big contract somewhere else, and thus that can help. But I see what you're saying.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:03 PM    (permalink
JonasBlane
Rookie

JonasBlane hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.JonasBlane hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Is change in team record a part of the comp pick equation? That's the only explanation I can think of for why the Steelers only got a 5th for Faneca. Without Faneca the Steelers went from a Wild Card loss to a SB win. Doesn't make sense for the Bears though, as they also got better without Berrian, but he earned a 3rd. I've never really paid attention to comp picks before, so I am stumped.
JonasBlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:50 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

If those are the factors can you please explain Faneca garnering a 5th meanwhile having the 2nd highest avg contract payout, Jets nearly grabbing a playoff spot, his RB leading the AFC in Rushing IIRC, Post season Honors?

and how a guy, for example, Jake Scott Warrants a 4th round comp when he didn't manage near that?

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote