Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:11 AM    (permalink
jj45
Rookie

jj45 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Cool did espn ruin sports?

I was talking to my grandfather about football. About how the players today couldn't stand with the players from old days. How singeltary is a better backer than lewis. And how I make more playing semi pro then Sayers made back then. He said espn and nfl network ruined the players today. He said the first time they cut to a commerical during a game it was over for real football.
My question do think guys like singletary, unitas, haynes, williamson, and jim brown can play with the guys of our time?

jj45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:13 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ESPN didnt ruin it, the people who kept on watching ESPN did

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:14 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you're trying to combine two different questions into one.

Can the players from the past compete with the modern players?

Has the media, namely ESPN, ruined football?
Old 03-29-2009, 11:16 AM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hmmm.... Probably all the same things that MJD and Troy Polamalu (football is becoming a sissy game) are saying. The players still play the game the way it is supposed to be played. I would say that the NFL is ruining football not ESPN or NFL network. Being injured is a risk you take when you sign your name on the dotted line and it either happens or it doesn't, injuries are a part of the game and the NFL is making football closer and closer to a touch football league.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:17 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think ESPN helped sports. Massively. Without ESPN, we wouldn't be at this site right now. ESPN reports what people are interested in. As Colin Cowherd has said, people complain about all the TO talk and what not, but guess what, that gets the highest ratings.

I think, like a lot of things, when it becomes "popular" people begin to hate on it because they can complain about it. ESPN has allowed us to watch our sports team every game, and have sports 24/7. I am all for that, no matter the content.

Now, moving on, I don't think ESPN has a link to newer players not being able to hold up with older players. Heck, they may have "bigger heads" but they have as much talent TBH.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:20 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If they have an uncapped year, then it's over.

As for ESPN, they dont focus on stuff that happened before they started covering sports and thus, they are biased against what happened before. So, if you dont watch ESPN, you wont let their bias enter your thinking.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:27 AM    (permalink
jj45
Rookie

I don't think the some of the guys could match up. Ok due to evolution guys grow naturally taller and bigger. Tall in 1950 isn't the same as today. They had 6-2 OTs back then singletary is 5-9( I have met him he is a couple inches shorter than me) we have center we are considered short at 6-2 we have DEs at 6-7 backers that run 4.3s . I know they grew up in a different era and guys didn't really lift they just had a 9to 5 job in the offseason. But even then I still couldn't see a lot of them starting now. Look how much the game has changed how smarter the coaches and players are.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:42 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

TV timeouts are ***. Sports doesn't need tv timeouts.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:52 AM    (permalink
jj45
Rookie

Agreed tv timeouts aren't for the fans also I hate during a bball game they show a some naked dude who is painted in the team's colors and I mis a basket

Old 03-29-2009, 12:23 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any network executive that considers Steven A. Smith, Skip Bayless, Barry Melrose, John Kruk and Emmitt Smith as "expert analysts" needs an alternate career.

Sig by Primetime21
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:54 PM    (permalink
Donno
Veteran

Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The thing about ESPN is that they report the mainstream, they always talk about Kobe or Lebron and etc. Its just what people want.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:57 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like ESPN and without it I would have to search for everything on the internet. I think ESPN blows **** up way more than needed but they surely did not ruin sports
mo drew gets about 16 touches a game on offense (on a good day), and will run circles around ray rice. rice has no speed, 2nd burst or agility. he's a strong midget. How can anyone be excited about that.
John Wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:09 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Goodelle has ruined Football more then ESPN has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Goodelle has ruined Football more then ESPN has.
yea, yea, noo no. yea nooo.

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:16 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get to watch espnews a lot but when I do it seems like it is usually about what espn should be if you get what I'm saying. It's kinda like the mtv comparison. MTV stopped playing videos so they made mtv2, espn started appealing more to the common fan so they created espnews. Only thing is MTV2 stopped playing videos eventually as well.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Actually it is a 2 way street. Players from the past would certainly have to change their ways of training to play in todays game and make adjustments to the rule changes.
TV allowed the NFL a chance to study the game and the effects of certain types of blocks and they have rightly tried to limit the more serious types of hits. The old timers would have to adjust.
However, the players of today couldn't just step into the past and be effective either. OLmen would have to learn a whole new technique for blocking, as linemen in the past weren't allowed to have their hands outside their shoulders when blocking. The OLmen of today would find that the old rules which permitted head smacking by DLmen is something they are not used to. The blocking angles and techniques would all be totally different and require quite an adjustment.
Then there are the field conditions, there wasn't artificial turf or indoor stadiums, players played in the mud and sometimes it was 5 or 6 inches deep, you had to have the ability to adjust to the conditions no matter what position you played. QB's had to have the ability to throw the ball in all conditions on sloppy fields were there was no footing, not like today's game.
The fact is that old timers couldn't just step into today's games either. Nobody did weight training back then, players showed up at training camp and played themselves into condition.
Could the players of the past adjust, of course they could but it wouldn't come overnight but the same is true for the players of today if they could go back and play. The game today vs the game of the past is apples and oranges, they really cannot be compared. Just as an example, players in the past played through concussions, nobody knew how serious they were and you played or lost your job. You just cannot compare eras and it is rather silly to think you can. I've only given you the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the differences players would have to makes adjustments for on both sides.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:37 PM    (permalink
throwback54milkman
Veteran

throwback54milkman needs more cowbell.

who said football was ruined? its still pretty good

^^Sig From Nvot9
J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!
throwback54milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:43 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure how you go about "ruining sports", but no I don't believe ESPN has ruined anything. It's definitely the 800lb gorilla when it comes to sports news, but it is not the end all and be all. Like any other blog, website or channel, it's just another source for you to get the news.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:50 PM    (permalink
Mr. Hero
Veteran

Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Any network executive that considers Steven A. Smith, Skip Bayless, Barry Melrose, John Kruk and Emmitt Smith as "expert analysts" needs an alternate career.
How dare you mock the mullet.
Mr. Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:06 PM    (permalink
BuddyCHRIST
Veteran

BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is not just a situation in sports, people are always nostalgic about the old days. It's the same thing when people "remember" the 50's as this perfect, beaver cleaver period when it wasn't at all.

And while I love old football, you have to compare era's because physically the old guys aren't on the same level as the guys now and days. Our science of training and understanding of the body has advanced so much, these guys are such freak athletes. These guys train year round to stay able, and there's a reason that many guys decline so quickly once their body starts to break down.

The money aspect is just the way the economy works, pro athletes generate tons of money so obviously they would make lots of money.
BuddyCHRIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I personally think Inflation has ruined sports. Not that they're not fun, they're just not the same.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ESPN and other sports networks might be to blame for many players becoming divas, but no way did it ruin sports.

ESPN is probably the most important network/website that is out there today. They provide anything and everything you want to know about any and every sport.

My life:

1.) ESPN
4.) Family
2.) My girlfriend
3.) School

Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:49 PM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ESPN has a habit of having bias towards the east coast and that sort of pisses me off at times. Case in point this basketball tournament all the talk about the Big East and little about the other teams.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:18 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Because the Big East is the best conference ever in basketball right now :P

They don't have an east coast bias, it's all a figment of your imagination. They just talk about mainstream teams a lot, because, guess what, that gets ratings. The Cowboys, the Lakers. Not east coast, talked about PLENTY.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:41 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think ESPN led to increased showmanship in sports, but it didn't ruin them..

WMD is online now   Reply With Quote