Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-31-2007, 01:50 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is such crap. I took a month off from poker and decided to do a tournament on full tilt. I had Ace, King and the flop was 9, 6, 2. There was only one heart on the board. The guy I am playing goes all in. I called. He had Ace, King as well but he had his both hearts. He then got runner, runner hearts to win the pot instead of splitting it. BS.

Last edited by jayceheathman : 07-31-2007 at 01:52 AM.
jayceheathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:34 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
This is such crap. I took a month off from poker and decided to do a tournament on full tilt. I had Ace, King and the flop was 9, 6, 2. There was only one heart on the board. The guy I am playing goes all in. I called. He had Ace, King as well but he had his both hearts. He then got runner, runner hearts to win the pot instead of splitting it. BS.
You should just feel lucky that you even had a chance to split the pot in the first place. Horrible call. Especially for tournament play. The only thing you could beat was a stone cold bluff. You're lucky he didn't have one of the many hands that would have been a big favorite going into the turn. Calling people down like that just because your hand is pretty is a bad habit.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:32 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
You should just feel lucky that you even had a chance to split the pot in the first place. Horrible call. Especially for tournament play. The only thing you could beat was a stone cold bluff. You're lucky he didn't have one of the many hands that would have been a big favorite going into the turn. Calling people down like that just because your hand is pretty is a bad habit.
I knew he didnt have anything because we were raising pretty high before the flop. The only thing that worried me was his chance that he had a pocket pair.

I ended up getting 3rd for $144 on the next tournament so I feel better now. I should have got first. There were only 5 of us left with blinds getting ridiculous like 1,000-2,000 chips and I was the chip leader. I had J,4 and the flop was 3, 9, J. A guy goes all in and I call with the best hand. He was on a gut straight draw. He had 8,10 and then on the turn he got his 7. Instead of being the huge chip leader I fell to 4th out 5 on the chip list.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:24 PM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

Going to the Taj tommorow night to play in the 175+25 tournament

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
RyanLeaf#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:37 PM    (permalink
Scarface
Rookie

Scarface smells like sex panther.

Jerry yang is nothing but a big fish
Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:38 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Congrats to Jerry.

I've got a new favorite poker player after this tournament, Alex Kravchenko. He played GREAT.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:53 AM    (permalink
BucSappy
Veteran

BucSappy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Main Event is so overrated. The real Main Event is the 50k horse tournament.

The Main Event is just a really big NLHE 10k event televised by ESPN. That's all, nothing special.
BucSappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:53 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Congrats to Jerry.

I've got a new favorite poker player after this tournament, Alex Kravchenko. He played GREAT.
Jerry won the tournament in August. Are you just finding out about it now?

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
Old 11-02-2007, 07:25 AM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I took a few months off because I was tired of getting rivered, then get dealt pocket aces and get rivered by trip jacks...

Always happens I'm used to it by now.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:28 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
I took a few months off because I was tired of getting rivered, then get dealt pocket aces and get rivered by trip jacks...

Always happens I'm used to it by now.
Thats why your never supposed to slow play pocket aces.

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
Old 11-02-2007, 08:21 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know what exactly has happened lately, but I've been playing great. My reads on betting patterns have been awesome, and I'm rarely getting slow-played. I'm playing looser, but craftier. I didn't do anything differently, but one night, I was just able to play better. Has anyone had any similar experiences?

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:48 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
I don't know what exactly has happened lately, but I've been playing great. My reads on betting patterns have been awesome, and I'm rarely getting slow-played. I'm playing looser, but craftier. I didn't do anything differently, but one night, I was just able to play better. Has anyone had any similar experiences?
I think if you play alot eventually that will happen. Somethings just start to become second nature.

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
Old 11-02-2007, 08:52 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe. I didn't play for 3 months, then I came back and had a losing session, then I just started picking off bluffs and making good-sized bets and plays. I was doing third and fourth level thinking automatically. It shouldn't have happened that quickly, but I was trying to do it for years without success. Guess I had the ability all along, and it just clicked in.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 11-02-2007, 09:17 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLeaf#1 View Post
Jerry won the tournament in August. Are you just finding out about it now?
No, I followed the tournament.

I also watched the H.O.R.S.E. tournament that Freddie Deeb won. It was Freddie's first WS bracelet in more then a decade.

It was also well deserved, he played AWESOME. He even ran into some bad luck during the final table play, but was able to recover and win.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:19 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Maybe. I didn't play for 3 months, then I came back and had a losing session, then I just started picking off bluffs and making good-sized bets and plays. I was doing third and fourth level thinking automatically. It shouldn't have happened that quickly, but I was trying to do it for years without success. Guess I had the ability all along, and it just clicked in.
Well, a lot of that is trusting your own instincts.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:48 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

I need to figure out how to get my hands to stop getting so nervous when I get a good hand. I went to Vegas for my 21st over the weekend and won $146 in my first tournament. Everytime I had a good hand my hands when shake a little when grabbing for the chips.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:50 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

This is true. It wasn't only instincts, though. I started thinking about where I was at in a hand and where they were, developing a plan of attack, and executing. The development was completely random, but it all came together. Odd.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:54 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
I need to figure out how to get my hands to stop getting so nervous when I get a good hand. I went to Vegas for my 21st over the weekend and won $146 in my first tournament. Everytime I had a good hand my hands when shake a little when grabbing for the chips.
That's an experience thing, but there are a myriad of other tells you may be projecting. Hand shaking is a big one, but your eyes, jawline, neck pulse, and body language are also important.

What you want to do is get into a very solid routine. Whenever you bet, do it exactly the same way. Breathe deeply. The whole point of poker is that it's a game of position and people. Don't worry so much about what you have, but try to think about your opponents. Distracting yourself in this manner will help some.

Again, as you play and see hands and beats and get your own style down, many of these things, like hand shaking, will go away.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:05 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

Quote:
That's an experience thing, but there are a myriad of other tells you may be projecting. Hand shaking is a big one, but your eyes, jawline, neck pulse, and body language are also important.

What you want to do is get into a very solid routine. Whenever you bet, do it exactly the same way. Breathe deeply. The whole point of poker is that it's a game of position and people. Don't worry so much about what you have, but try to think about your opponents. Distracting yourself in this manner will help some.

Again, as you play and see hands and beats and get your own style down, many of these things, like hand shaking, will go away.
Thanks, I will have to try that. I think I was really intimidated because it was my first real tournament and not just playing with friends. I calmed down a little as it went on but my hands would still shake a lot. No one was really experienced since it was just a $50 buy in and so many people were considering what they had instead of trying to read me. You got 1500 more chips if you pay $10 so I grossed about $80 over about 4 hours of playing. Looking back, I think I would played a little more aggressive. I was really conservative and only played when I had something. I lost quite a few chips off of blinds doing that.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:28 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

If you're looking to improve your tournament play, you should definitely read the "Harrington on Hold 'Em" books. They did a lot for my overall style of play, and it teaches you the game and the strategy. They're a bit pricy (about $20 per), but they're great reads and are excellent investments in your game. You can also read any of Phil Gordon's books, Phil Helmuth's book, Negreneau, or David Skalansky. All great stuff.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:45 AM    (permalink
NYGibril28
Pro Bowler

NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i played some poker with my dad and his buddies last night, and got beat twice on a couple of unlucky plays.

1st Game
was 2nd or 3rd chip stack with 6 people left to play, and i was small blind, and the chip leader was the big blind. Action folded around to me so I raised 3 times the big blind with pocket queens. he re-raised twice my bet, and i raised all in. He called me with Ace-10 suited, and he got his Ace on the river to knock me out.

2nd Game
Chip Leader was small blind, i was big blind. He raised twice the big blind pre-flop, i called with Jack-10 suited. (Diamonds). Flop came down Ace-Queen-Four of diamonds, giving me the Royal Flush draw, already having hit the flush. He raises 2,000 (Blinds were 200-400), and i re-raise all-in. He takes a minute, to think, but he calls, and it turns out he's got pocket Kings, with the King of diamonds so he could hit a better flush than me. However, he got runner-runner queens to give him Queens over Kings and knock me out.

Two of the badder beats of my poker days, was the 2nd guy justified in calling? I'm trying to convince myself he made a bad call and got lucky. He raised 2,000, and my re-raise made it 3,900 total.

Paul

New York Giants
New York Yankees
New York Knicks (unfortunately)
UConn Basketball
Virginia Tech Football
UConn Football
NYGibril28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:49 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Those are pretty tough beats, but there is a luck aspect with poker, obviously. All you can hope to do is get your money in good and get it to hold up. You seemed to do a good job getting your money in with a made hand or the best hand. You can congratulate yourself on that.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:52 AM    (permalink
NYGibril28
Pro Bowler

NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NYGibril28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Those are pretty tough beats, but there is a luck aspect with poker, obviously. All you can hope to do is get your money in good and get it to hold up. You seemed to do a good job getting your money in with a made hand or the best hand. You can congratulate yourself on that.
Yep, at the end of the night driving home with my dad I said, I didn't f up, I couldn't have done anything much better, just got unlucky.

I'm playing again tonight, this time with my own friends, lower stakes and a lesser skill level. Hopefully should be an easy $100.

Paul

New York Giants
New York Yankees
UConn Basketball
Virginia Tech Football
UConn Football
Old 01-11-2008, 08:54 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

In terms of the second call, I would say it was justified by the pot odds. If he raised to 2x the BB and the SB folded, there was 2000 in the pot on the flop. I assume you checked your flush, hoping he bet (which he did). I think his bet was designed for information, but it was a little large for that pot. Either way, his bet made the pot 4000, and your reraise made the pot 5900. Given the situation, I'm sure he put you on the made flush or 2 pair. He had the nut flush draw, and he assumed there were 6 diamonds + redraw possibilities. He was getting 3:1 on his money. If you were on the bluff, he had you crushed. If you had 2 pair, he had outs (2 K's + 6 remaining diamonds). If you had a made hand, he had outs (runner-runner full house + diamonds). He was getting 3:1, which was a decent price. It would be hard to walk away with pocket K's and the nut flush getting that price.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:59 AM    (permalink
NYGibril28
Pro Bowler

Quote:
In terms of the second call, I would say it was justified by the pot odds. If he raised to 2x the BB and the SB folded, there was 2000 in the pot on the flop. I assume you checked your flush, hoping he bet (which he did). I think his bet was designed for information, but it was a little large for that pot. Either way, his bet made the pot 4000, and your reraise made the pot 5900. Given the situation, I'm sure he put you on the made flush or 2 pair. He had the nut flush draw, and he assumed there were 6 diamonds + redraw possibilities. He was getting 3:1 on his money. If you were on the bluff, he had you crushed. If you had 2 pair, he had outs (2 K's + 6 remaining diamonds). If you had a made hand, he had outs (runner-runner full house + diamonds). He was getting 3:1, which was a decent price. It would be hard to walk away with pocket K's and the nut flush getting that price.
Yeah, I realize he made a good play and call, i just wish he didn't. And no, I didn't check my flush, as action was him. He was small, I was big. He came out right away with 2,000.

Paul

New York Giants
New York Yankees
UConn Basketball
Virginia Tech Football
UConn Football