Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 04-17-2007, 02:45 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
What if you are playing against VERY loose players, that will call big bets with 3 6 off-suit of something like that?
Well, there are loose callers and loose raisers. If you have a very loose and aggressive raiser in an unopened pot, you can try to limp and reraise, but I find it's best with bigger hands to get the money in the pot and chase out a lot of the garbage ahead of time. Again, with a larger pair, you don't want more than 2 other people in the hand with you. If you just limp, the other people can call, then you run the risk of getting outflopped. If someone is dumb enough to call 4-5x the BB with 3-6os, they'd better get very lucky or have amazing instincts, or they're going to go broke very quickly.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:53 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

Tonight I have a 100+10 tournament to go to in my neighborhood. From what i've heard the players are terrible and the blinds are real slow. So im hoping to atleast cash tonight if not take down the whole thing. They said they are expecting anywhere from 25-30 people.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
RyanLeaf#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:59 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like at least $1100 for the winner. With slow blinds, it's nice to actually play poker and not have to worry about getting lucky. You still need luck, but you can at least pick your spots...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 04-20-2007, 09:06 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
Looks like at least $1100 for the winner. With slow blinds, it's nice to actually play poker and not have to worry about getting lucky. You still need luck, but you can at least pick your spots...
Exactly im hoping I can atleast cash.... Its all you can drink, but I wont drink since ill be playing. So even if I dont get knocked out early ill put on a load and watch the Yanks and the Phillies games.

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
Old 04-20-2007, 09:09 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

That's a pretty nice deal. We have some of those types of tournaments in the DC area. Unfortunately, they're usually about 30 miles outside the city. Not really worth driving to the middle of nowhere to pay a rake. I try to go to one every 3 months because they actually serve as fundraisers for local fire departments.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:53 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

That tournament on Friday it was a 3 way split for first. I bought in for 110 and left with 530. Not as many people came as expected, but im not mad with the 420 profit.

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
Old 04-23-2007, 11:04 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Awesome job, dude. Your hourly rate was very healthy, and you got dinner out of it, no? Solid stuff.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
man playing a little home game I have about a good size chip stack and people got knocked out early so we got to the final table pretty quickly.

I get Ad-Ah in middle position, blinds are $500-$1000 so I raise it to $4500 and I get 4 quick calls. Flop comes Kd-3c-8d. I bet $5000, guy behind me calls quick and everyone else folds. turn is a Jd. I bet $15,000 he calls. Now I have Ad-Ah with 4 to a flush so when the river is a 4s I am a little dissapointed because I wanted a diamond but I figure I still have the best hand and bet $20,000. Guy just goes all in for like $3,000 more and I don't hesitate I call. He turns over K-3 giving him 2 pair. How he called my raise to begin with threw me off.

I had about 16K left and I worked my way back up to over 100K but caught no cards after that. Finally blinds got up to 10K and 20K and I had 24K left so I had to go all in with 4-6 off suit.

if it wasn't a home game i'd have been pissed.
Acreboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:24 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

If you have good instincts, you can call with a lot of junk and hope to outplay people after the flop. In this case, he called in middle/late position with potential implied odds. If he called you, then the next few guys have the odds to call with lesser hands. He was hoping to invest a small amount and get lucky. He did, and he cracked you. I think he played it correctly. I assume he put you on a big pair or A-K on the flop, so he flat called you to basically milk it. Once the flop hit, he was betting for value. You basically bet it to get his money in the pot without necessarily putting him on a hand. He milked you good.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:29 AM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
If you have good instincts, you can call with a lot of junk and hope to outplay people after the flop. In this case, he called in middle/late position with potential implied odds. If he called you, then the next few guys have the odds to call with lesser hands. He was hoping to invest a small amount and get lucky. He did, and he cracked you. I think he played it correctly. I assume he put you on a big pair or A-K on the flop, so he flat called you to basically milk it. Once the flop hit, he was betting for value. You basically bet it to get his money in the pot without necessarily putting him on a hand. He milked you good.
I see a call there with at least K-10 on up. Not a K with a very weak kicker.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:35 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

It was not a strong call, but he was looking to flop big, and he did. That's a "call, see a flop, and fold if you don't get a piece" hand. I don't like big-small cards, but I'll play them every once in a while with odds and position. I don't like his call, but it was deceptive, and you had no idea what he had. I'll also point out that he could have made that call with K-J, and you didn't give him credit for that type of hand. That is a hand that could call you preflop and also make the call of your raise on the flop. You didn't put him on a hand, and that was part of the reason why you lost as much as you did.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreboy View Post
man playing a little home game I have about a good size chip stack and people got knocked out early so we got to the final table pretty quickly.

I get Ad-Ah in middle position, blinds are $500-$1000 so I raise it to $4500 and I get 4 quick calls. Flop comes Kd-3c-8d. I bet $5000, guy behind me calls quick and everyone else folds. turn is a Jd. I bet $15,000 he calls. Now I have Ad-Ah with 4 to a flush so when the river is a 4s I am a little dissapointed because I wanted a diamond but I figure I still have the best hand and bet $20,000. Guy just goes all in for like $3,000 more and I don't hesitate I call. He turns over K-3 giving him 2 pair. How he called my raise to begin with threw me off.

I had about 16K left and I worked my way back up to over 100K but caught no cards after that. Finally blinds got up to 10K and 20K and I had 24K left so I had to go all in with 4-6 off suit.

if it wasn't a home game i'd have been pissed.
Obviously calling with K-3 preflop to that big of a raise is generally a bad idea but poker isn't a game about the right and wrong plays. He got lucky on the flop and you likely played your hand too aggressively (tends to happen when you have a great preflop hand, you can't let it go).
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:45 AM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It was not a strong call, but he was looking to flop big, and he did. That's a "call, see a flop, and fold if you don't get a piece" hand. I don't like big-small cards, but I'll play them every once in a while with odds and position. I don't like his call, but it was deceptive, and you had no idea what he had. I'll also point out that he could have made that call with K-J, and you didn't give him credit for that type of hand. That is a hand that could call you preflop and also make the call of your raise on the flop. You didn't put him on a hand, and that was part of the reason why you lost as much as you did.
I did put him on a K at least and almost folded when the J came off but I had the nut flush draw as well.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:53 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

If you had the nut flush draw, why not check and let him bet to see how he defines his hand? You could have made a big laydown there or maybe seen the river for cheap. If he had checked behind you, you could have put him on a Q-10 or on smaller flush draw. You also discounted the fact that he could have had a made flush. In the end, it cost you a lot. It is tough to lay down A's, but when you get called by 4 people pre-flop, it tends to get ugly afterwards.

In your situation, he called you quickly post-flop with 2 diamonds on board. He also called your big turn bet with potentially a made hand. You were likely very behind at that point with only 6 outs. Your best option would be to check the turn and try to hit on the river and value bet. It is a tough hand, but you can't assume your A's are automatically good.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:09 PM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

Quote:
Awesome job, dude. Your hourly rate was very healthy, and you got dinner out of it, no? Solid stuff.
Yea definitely got dinner out of it.

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
Old 04-23-2007, 12:10 PM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If you had the nut flush draw, why not check and let him bet to see how he defines his hand? You could have made a big laydown there or maybe seen the river for cheap. If he had checked behind you, you could have put him on a Q-10 or on smaller flush draw. You also discounted the fact that he could have had a made flush. In the end, it cost you a lot. It is tough to lay down A's, but when you get called by 4 people pre-flop, it tends to get ugly afterwards.

In your situation, he called you quickly post-flop with 2 diamonds on board. He also called your big turn bet with potentially a made hand. You were likely very behind at that point with only 6 outs. Your best option would be to check the turn and try to hit on the river and value bet. It is a tough hand, but you can't assume your A's are automatically good.
Well, thats why I posted this. To see what you guys think.

It wouldn't have been the first time I layed down Aces. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:38 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

It is hard to lay it down, but part of the development of a good player into a great player is trusting his reads and making this stuff happen. You were a tremendous favorite preflop, but you didn't give your opponent credit for a hand when he called your raise preflop, postflop, and on the turn. It is a lesson, but at least you were able to rebound somewhat with some great shortstack play.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:12 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

Me and my friend went to the Taj last night from 8pm to 430 am we both played 1-2. I bought in for 140 and left with 300. At one point I was up to 580, but took some terrible bad beats where on 2 occasions someone hit a 2 outer on me. Where I already had a fullhouse and on the river they got the better fullhouse.I cant be mad, but I can barely keep my eyes open right now. I havent slept for 28 hours. Once you stop drinking Red Bull its like your dead. My boy who is a really good player was down like 220 in cards and 600 in Roulette and other stuff. So he was down 820 total so be before we leave he puts 25 on 8 and 25 on 11 in roulette and the 8 comes out. So we both ended up winning on the night. Scary ride back to Philly though cause he was dipping out the whole way home.

Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
Old 04-25-2007, 08:29 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Way to grind it out, but have fun staying awake today. Nothing you can do about the bad beats.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:00 AM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I won 120 in a tournament last night at a local casino.
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:04 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Well done. Did you finish first, or did you just cash? Where is local for you?

Old 04-25-2007, 12:46 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well done. Did you finish first, or did you just cash? Where is local for you?
Cashed at 8th place
Old 04-25-2007, 12:58 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

How many players? What was the buy-in? What casino? I always keep a catalog of where good places to play are.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:59 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

Quote:
How many players? What was the buy-in? What casino? I always keep a catalog of where good places to play are.
60 dollar buy in. 79 players at Morongo Resort and Casino near Palm Springs, CA
Old 04-25-2007, 01:00 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

And they only paid 8th place $120? Or was it $180 for 8th, and you made $120 profit? That sounds like a pretty weak payout if it's only $120 total.