Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-07-2007, 09:20 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Patrick Watkins

Do you think the organization has given up on Patrick Watkins after one year?

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:08 AM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

it seems like he will be a career backup
Old 03-07-2007, 10:16 AM    (permalink
nrcirc
Veteran

nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"Stephen Jones said the Cowboys won't be paying a $10 million signing bonus for a free safety. He said the club still is high on the two young guys they have, Patrick Watkins and Abram Elam. He said if they picked up a veteran safety, it might be later in free agency when the prices come down."

It does not sound like we will draft a FS either.
nrcirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:33 AM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrcirc View Post
"Stephen Jones said the Cowboys won't be paying a $10 million signing bonus for a free safety. He said the club still is high on the two young guys they have, Patrick Watkins and Abram Elam. He said if they picked up a veteran safety, it might be later in free agency when the prices come down."

hopefully D-Unit doesn't see this.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:34 AM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrcirc View Post

Sadly, Elam is a SS. I like both of them. Both are top shelf athletes. Better than Roy W and Davis.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:49 AM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
Sadly, Elam is a SS. I like both of them. Both are top shelf athletes. Better than Roy W and Davis.
Better than Roy Williams, are you serious? You need to go back and watch some film on that guy!!!
- Atlanta Falcons GM
UTPATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:43 AM    (permalink
TheFan0520
Rookie

TheFan0520 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I still have hope for him. He will hit his peak in 2 to 3 more years. Unfortunately, patience is tough to come by, especially at that position.
TheFan0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:46 AM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
over exaggerate much?
Old 03-07-2007, 06:13 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reports make it sound like Watkins will have his shot to start.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watkins is very good and everyone here tends to forget the actuall playing aspect of the game. The best player plays, otherwise some guys would still be playing. If Watkins wins the job in camp and Pre-Season then he will start. If not he will end up being a backup or cut. Much like every other player not getting paid the tp 10 at their position in the league.

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig
Go Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:50 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac076 View Post
over exaggerate much?
Not really, he ment they were better athletes, which is true. Not better players, but better athletes for sure.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:20 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Definitely not. It's funny to see the way people's perspectives shift over a period of time. This was a hot topic on this board right after the season, and much of the popular sentiment was that Watkins has a chance to be a very good player as soon as next year, but that we might not be able to take the gamble on counting him as our guy for next year.

Now, with the talk of Henry moving to FS and all the speculation regarding Nelson, Griffin and some other DBs in the draft, poor Patrick is being swept under the rug. I, for one, still think there is an excellent chance that he will be an above average guy for us in that position next year, and that we should hedge our bets by taking a guy that can play both CB and S on the first day of the draft. We could let the draft pick play CB, and then closely monitor Watkins' progress during the minicamps and early TC. If Watkins appears to be clearly unfit for the starting FS spot, then you can move Henry there and plug the CB gap with the draft pick.

Either way you slice it, I don't think it will end up being a problem. I, for one, am much more concerned about getting younger/deeper at CB for next year and beyond than I am about whether Watkins will develop. I have seen enough from him to be confident that he will be a nice player eventually.
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:21 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No, that is not true. You don't get taken 8th overall at a position like safety without being top shelf athletically. Roy may have lost a half step by putting on that extra 10-15 pounds, but no more than that.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:23 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

I guess your right, but at 6'5, running a 4.42 (which is what watkins ran), is pretty impressive.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:19 PM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mod D-Unit, could you please clear your PM box?

thanks
-black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You all know my hopes are high for Nelson, but that does not mean that I am down on Watkins. For a rookie Watkins did about as well as you could have hoped for. While I do believe he can be an adequate, maybe even an above average player over his career, I do not consider him a playmaker or a difference maker at the position. I believe that as long as we have Roy at SS, that we need an exceptional coverage guy next to him or we will continue to get blasted.

Watkins can provide excellent depth at the position and I feel more comfortable with him in that role.

Henry at FS is a scary thought for me. If it happens, I'll cross my fingers, hope for the best and cheer him on. Only in that scenario would I favor a CB in round 1.

If Nelson is not there, I prefer OT or OLB.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:31 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I may be the only one, but I've haven't been a fan of watkins for awhile now, since the middle of the season in fact. He seems to have no confidence in his ability. I mean he has all the measurables in the world, but he doesn't have the "ballskills" as many people would say. In the beginning of the season when he gave up a couple of big plays, you see him on the bench distraught and his head down, and to me he never gained any confidence back or at all. That to me shows the weak mindset he has. Even though he was only a rookie, I just don't believe he has what it takes at all. And I still feel Nelson, Merriweather and those type of guys can be a huge improvement over Watkins. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Paul : 03-08-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:50 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watkins still has potential. Give him a chance.

Don't take Nelson from us!!!

Worst case scenario, I see Watkins excelling at SS. He can cover TEs with his length and speed, and he's great at providing run support in the box. Sounds like a nice fit at SS to me. Especially in a 3-4 scheme.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:23 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

umm, TO was crying on the sidelines in the playoffs against GB. It was the exact same game where he caugth the 26-yard TD heave on the last play of the game between two defenders, the famous one you see all the time. He had already dropped 3 or 4 passes on the day, and he was seen crying like a baby on the sideline.

Just because you are distraught over your mistakes does not make you mentally weak. TO is as strong mentally as anyone in the league. Emotionally?....that's a different story.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:04 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whoa now, that is TO. He is the epitome of a narcissistic self-assured receiver, even if it was before he was "T.O". And that is far different then a fragile rookie safety. Even in the 2nd half of the season, Watkins was serviceable, not on the same level that Nelson and I think other S in this class can be.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:49 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I believe that as long as we have Roy at SS, that we need an exceptional coverage guy next to him or we will continue to get blasted.

thats been my thought process all along...watkins is good enough, but i think with an exceptional cover safety, roy wont have to cover shockey man to man anymore, and he can do what he is more comfortable with, which would make him even better...

its the perfect complement, and i dont think watkins will ever be great for us, but id love to keep him around for depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote