Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 12-10-2008, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll ask again why do you guys continue to think pass rushing OLB is a huge need?
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:51 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Because Parys Haralson is not very good. At least half of his sacks are coverage sacks and a few more because Justin Smith forced his man back into the opposing QB and he had to step up into Haralson who wasn't really applying pressure
abaddon41_80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:24 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just because we do not have a ton of sacks does not mean we are not getting pressure. Justin Smith's job on some plays is to bull rush the inside to force the QB out. That's how the outside guys get sacks on those plays. Haralson is having his best season more sacks then Suggs I don't know what you don't like.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:40 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Haralson but he isn't a top pass rusher. His 7 sacks are misleading too because of gifts by qbs with horrible pocket presence (Bulger, Losman) not to mention his gift sack against Favre with 30 seconds left in the game, up by 10.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:45 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
I love it how everyone hates Mark Roman despite me never wanting him two years ago and everyone disagreeing with me at that time
First, hindsight it always 20/20 but I think that most of us had hopes that he would break out in San Francisco. I don't think that was a bad thing for us to hope for, if we just assumed that all our signings that aren't huge names were worthless that would be idiotic.

Sidenote: Atiyyah Ellison was signed off our practice squad by the Jags but I dont think anyone is going to lose sleep over that one.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:52 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
I like Haralson but he isn't a top pass rusher. His 7 sacks are misleading too because of gifts by qbs with horrible pocket presence (Bulger, Losman) not to mention his gift sack against Favre with 30 seconds left in the game, up by 10.
Well he has gotten better every year. Now that Manusky is bringing him more.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:55 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I love it how everyone hates Mark Roman despite me never wanting him two years ago and everyone disagreeing with me at that time.
Yeah, I'm calling BS on this as well. I never argued the merits of Mark Roman ... EVER. In fact, in the '06 draft, as much as I liked Willis (and Carriker for that matter), there were only 2 other players I liked better: CJ and Laron Landry. Hell, I even considered the idea that the Niners might go after Reggie Nelson in that draft to play safety.

Dan, you write these big sweeping generalizations about everyone else against you, and it's simply not true.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:01 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post
Yeah, I'm calling BS on this as well. I never argued the merits of Mark Roman ... EVER. In fact, in the '06 draft, as much as I liked Willis (and Carriker for that matter), there were only 2 other players I liked better: CJ and Laron Landry. Hell, I even considered the idea that the Niners might go after Reggie Nelson in that draft to play safety.

Dan, you write these big sweeping generalizations about everyone else against you, and it's simply not true.

...I am :)
Old 12-10-2008, 11:04 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post

I'm pretty glad we didn't take Carriker. I think that was one of the big debates here on who to take. I wanted Carriker but so far he has been a non-impact guy.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:19 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm pretty glad we didn't take Carriker. I think that was one of the big debates here on who to take. I wanted Carriker but so far he has been a non-impact guy.
It was huge all over Niner-land. I liked Willis better, but I thought we'd end up taking Carriker due to our awful DL play and the fact that 3-4 ILBs aren't usually 1st rounders. And because Nolan is a dumbass. Good thing he didn't f-up that pick.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:23 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Yes very good thing. I really wanted Carriker until I watched tape of Patrick Willis.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:30 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I am pretty bored so I looked back at the old threads to see what the debates were and from what I can tell was Carriker vs. Branch that seemed to consume most the conversations.

Also, just a side note for Dan: You didn't have a problem with Roman when he was brought in, I looked. You were more interested in finding someone to pair with him (this was before we signed Michael Lewis).

Old 12-10-2008, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Oh damn, forgot about Alan Branch. I remember when they announced we traded up (for Staley) I was telling my boys we moved up to get Branch and I was so happy. I was like, "did we just get Willis AND Branch". I couldn't believe it. Then we took Staley and I was like WTF. Looks like Staley's a player though so no complaints.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:33 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

Yeah, we got an All-Pro MLB and a LT that is improving greatly. Looks like we did alright. Although i never even gave Joe Staley a second thought, i was really surprised to hear his name after our trade up. I remember i was a huge fan of Eric Weddle too but im not sure how he is doing in San Diego.

It's actually kind of fun looking over the 2007 draft, i think it was the first draft i started following intensely. I don't even hear about guys anymore IE Harrell, Meachem, Moss, Nelson, Hall, Carriker, Davis, etc.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 12-11-2008 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:16 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
i was really surprised to hear his name after our trade up.
You know who surprised the **** out of me? Kentwan Balmer. I thought for sure it was going to be Quentin Groves.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:02 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You know who surprised the **** out of me? Kentwan Balmer. I thought for sure it was going to be Quentin Groves.
Same. After we re-signed Sopo and signed Smith to those big deals, i thought for sure we were gearing up for a 3-4 LB. I figured either Groves or Lofton.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:32 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
First, hindsight it always 20/20 but I think that most of us had hopes that he would break out in San Francisco. I don't think that was a bad thing for us to hope for, if we just assumed that all our signings that aren't huge names were worthless that would be idiotic.

Also, just a side note for Dan: You didn't have a problem with Roman when he was brought in, I looked. You were more interested in finding someone to pair with him (this was before we signed Michael Lewis).
If you can copy and paste what I said about not having a problem with Roman or post a link, I would greatly appreciate it because I sure as hell dont remember saying (or in this case, typing) it.

Roman sucked in CIN and GB. I never thought that he would do anything in SF. He played well in 2006 for us but hell, even Alex Smith played well for us that year. Are you sure that I didnt say that I didnt mind the signing but didnt want to resign him after 2006?

As for the pairing up, im pretty sure that I wanted Michael Lewis from day one. I liked him while cheering for Philly when T.O. was an Eagle. He was good and im still trying to figure out why Reid benched him in favor of Considine who isnt even a starter anymore even though I could be wrong since I dont give two craps about Philly. I know I wanted FS Kenny Phillips to replace Roman this past April and definitely over Balmer. I knew that the Giants would take him. Oh well. Back in 2007, I wanted Calvin Johnson the most. Look at what he's done on the worst team in the league. Just imagine if he was on our team who at just average would make him even better than he already is. I will admit that I wanted Carriker over Willis though at that time because our DL was horrible and we all knew that Young was going to leave after 2007 along with Douglas.

Anyway, Roman sucks now so all of this is mute. I prefer Reggie Smith starting at FS or at least Dashon Goldson.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:39 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat Sagdiyev

I'm not saying that anyone's against me and I dont really care either way. Everyone has their own opinion and that's it. I'm just saying that Roman sucked then and he still sucks now. Brent said that I was happy about signing him but I asked him to post a link or something because I dont remember saying that.

I liked and wanted Carriker over Willis in the 2007 draft but was obsessed with Calvin Johnson which im pretty sure you and everyone else remembers. I was so pissed we went 7-9 and missed out on him. Granted, I cant complain about Willis as he's our best player defensively and probably on the team even though some will argue Gore but damn it, I wanted Johnson. Oh well.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:05 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Anyway, Roman sucks now so all of this is mute. I prefer Reggie Smith starting at FS or at least Dashon Goldson.
I still don't know how you feel can you please repeat it again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Oh man I know I was with my buddies and I told them all. Groves is a Niner he actually fell to us yes. Then we took Balmer.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:54 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Oh man I know I was with my buddies and I told them all. Groves is a Niner he actually fell to us yes. Then we took Balmer.
I told my roommate as we went on the clock, "It's Groves or Phillips but probably Groves since Nolan has a man-crush on Roman." And then they picked Balmer and I was like, "...what the ****!?"

Old 12-11-2008, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
If you can copy and paste what I said about not having a problem with Roman or post a link, I would greatly appreciate it because I sure as hell dont remember saying (or in this case, typing) it.
I should have stated it differently, you werent saying you didnt have a problem with him but you didnt seem concerned about getting someone else instead of him: http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...97&postcount=2

Old 12-11-2008, 04:43 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
4) SS / FS

This all depends on where Mark Roman starts. Whichever position he starts at, we need the other. I like Eagles SS Michael Lewis and Seahawks FS Ken Hamlin to fill the void and would be happy with either but personally, would sign Lewis because he would be far cheaper then Hamlin and some say that Lewis would be a better fit at FS then he is at SS.
I posted the above on February 27th, 2007 and after Roman was coming off a good season and I think that he was already re-signed for three years so whether or not I wanted him didnt matter since I knew we were stuck with him for the next three years which will hopefully be only two.

My main concern at the time was the other safety spot but that was solved with SS Michael Lewis. Of course, if Roman was never re-signed, I would have wanted Lewis and Hamlin but that's just me.

Of course, this past off-season, my mind was already made up in regards to Roman being gone. I wanted FS Kenny Phillips in the draft. Groves was second but would have waited until the second round for him. Phillips would have definitely been number one on my list considering where we were drafting. Phillips will be the next great Miami safety. It's almost as if it's in their DNA. LOL.

Back to the present and this is for you Menardo -

I prefer Reggie Smith starting at FS or at the very least Dashon Goldson.

Just wanted to say that again just in case you forgot. LOL.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

How about one more please I am still not getting it.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:52 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75
How about one more please I am still not getting it.
No problem bud. I prefer Reggie Smith starting at FS or at the very least Dashon Goldson. LOL. :)
Old 12-11-2008, 07:57 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
It's almost as if it's in their DNA. LOL.
Sadly not in Randy Phillips, Anthony Reddick or Lovon Ponder's. Though the first two on that list will be mid-round picks.