Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 01-26-2010, 08:57 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
this draft is so deep with safeties I think they can find one in their 1st 3 picks who can contribute as a rookie.

Iupati is grading out well enough in the Senior Bowl this wk. that I think he will go very early, maybe top 5. Again the 9ers s/b focused on the player everyone thinks they will take 1st, Trent Williams. If he doesnt screw the pooch there or at the Combine he s/b mid-1st rd. material & fall to them where they think.
Trent Williams struggled all year as a LT as a Senior. He followed that up by NOT participating in the Senior Bowl. These are very bad signals that I hope the 9ers are taking into consideration. I would hate to pick him at 13..I might be ok with him at 17 if Bulaga is off the board and Campbell grades out purely as a project. Even then, I'd still consider Iupati over Williams.

Also, if SEA picks Okung or Davis with their first pick, we can assume they won't pick another OT with their 2nd. Can we then assume that NYG or TEN won't pick an OT either? If so, we can pick Spiller at 13 and still get the best available OT at the time.
binary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:25 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
Also, if SEA picks Okung or Davis with their first pick, we can assume they won't pick another OT with their 2nd. Can we then assume that NYG or TEN won't pick an OT either? If so, we can pick Spiller at 13 and still get the best available OT at the time.
This is good in theory, but there's always the scenario in which one of those 3 teams trade down, with another team taking that spot and also the best OT remaining on the board.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:32 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Trent Williams struggled all year as a LT as a Senior. He followed that up by NOT participating in the Senior Bowl. These are very bad signals that I hope the 9ers are taking into consideration. I would hate to pick him at 13..I might be ok with him at 17 if Bulaga is off the board and Campbell grades out purely as a project. Even then, I'd still consider Iupati over Williams.
Yeah you're right, neither Williams nor Okung at the Senior Bowl, they think they don't need the exposure & their draft position in the 1st rd. is solid, Kiper & others even have Okung in the top 5, which I think is way overdrafting for him. Not showing up for the Senior Bowl just might be screwing the pooch as I said as far as draft stock is concerned.

Iupati has a lot of what-ifs too, apparently he was abused playing LT in Tuesday's drills, could end up being drafted as a pure OG.

There's no sure thing OT this yr like Joe Thomas or D'Brickashaw Ferguson, a lot of maybes & what ifs IMO, but this is a case of widespread demand & drafting for need -- almost all the draftniks are saying the trend of 4-5 or more OTs going in the 1st rd. will continue, probably true.

A more precise guesstimate would be that at the time of the 9ers 1st pick from Carolina that Okung will certainly be gone, Iupati probably will be gone, & Bulaga possibly gone. If Bulaga is the best shot they have & the OL need as big as everyone thinks it is, maybe they should consider parting with a mid-round pick to move up to get Bulaga or Iupati if he's still around after picks 5-7, but not Okung who I think is overrated & would have been revealed as such in Senior Bowl drills if he participated.

Last edited by LizardState : 01-27-2010 at 11:04 AM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:54 PM    (permalink
txparkes49x
Veteran

txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.txparkes49x is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/27/warn...rement-friday/

Warner is gone! :D *splurg*
Old 01-27-2010, 03:24 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Russell Okung's game is being vastly over analyzed

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:07 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txparkes49x View Post
Wow. I expected it, but wow. It will be interesting how Leinart adjusts to being the starter again, and if we have some serious spin off from unhappy cards who now don't want to play on a team not led by warner <- reach I know but i'm just thinking here.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:36 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Leinart has been a disappointment for them thusfar, no doubt. I think he'll improve once given the opportunity to be the starter full time, having the reps and experience that comes with working with the starting team. He'll definitely be a downgrade from Warner though. The Cards will have his $13 mil salary from next year to play with though, so guys like Dockett, Dansby and Rolle could still get deals. I still believe Boldin is going to get traded by Draft day at the latest.

Moreover, I just wish all the stupid bandwagon Cards fans here in AZ would stop calling him "Lion-Heart" because it's really annoying. It makes him sound like some great medieval warrior but instead he's a So-Cal pretty boy.

Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

Old 01-27-2010, 04:40 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Also, I liked reading the article on ESPN about Wilfork being disgruntled in New England as they haven't offered him a long term deal yet. They'll likely franchise him, but if he somehow hit the open market, I think the Niners would have to look at signing him to place NT instead of bringing back Franklin. Wilfork is only 28, has been consistently dominant, and comes from an organization where winning it all is the expectation. Doubt it will happen, but still...

Old 01-27-2010, 06:46 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Franklin is a year and four months older than Wilfork and as much I wanted Wilfork in the past, it was before the emergence of Franklin. Quite honestly, I would franchise Franklin and see how he does in 2010 under the tag. Draft wise, I would look for a backup NT to possibly replace him in 2011 or 2012 depending on how he plays in 2010. Either way, I wouldnt go after Wilfork because he'll cost too much money and that money is better off being spent on other positions considering the fact that we have Franklin.

As for Warner retiring, I'll believe it when its official. Until then, its just rumors. And quite honestly, I wouldnt be surprised to see Whisenhunt trade Leinart to SEA for their first first round draft pick. Whisenhunt can then draft his own QB instead of someone else's. SEA could the use their second first round draft pick on a RT to protect Leinart's blind side.

To be honest, I would rather see Warner stay for 2010 because if he retires, I have a feeling its going to set off a chain reaction thats will cause us more problems within the division as opposed to him playing.

Just my gut feeling there.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:34 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
As for Warner retiring, I'll believe it when its official. Until then, its just rumors. And quite honestly, I wouldnt be surprised to see Whisenhunt trade Leinart to SEA for their first first round draft pick. Whisenhunt can then draft his own QB instead of someone else's. SEA could the use their second first round draft pick on a RT to protect Leinart's blind side.
1) why would they trade him to someone in the division?
2) what about Leinart's career, to this point, would warrant such a high draft pick?

Quote:
To be honest, I would rather see Warner stay for 2010 because if he retires, I have a feeling its going to set off a chain reaction thats will cause us more problems within the division as opposed to him playing
If you are going to make a claim like this, please explain what you mean by "chain reaction."

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:55 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
1) why would they trade him to someone in the division?
2) what about Leinart's career, to this point, would warrant such a high draft pick?

If you are going to make a claim like this, please explain what you mean by "chain reaction."
1) Because no one else would be willing to give up a 1st
2) Nothing but with Carroll in SEA, he may thik that if he can suceed with him in NCAA, he might be able to do the same in the NFL

And I did.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:00 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Here's a crazier thought -

If the Saints release Bush and he signs with SEA, trading for Leinart becomes much more of a possibility.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:58 AM    (permalink
DDP711
Rookie

DDP711 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.DDP711 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Here's a crazier thought -

If the Saints release Bush and he signs with SEA, trading for Leinart becomes much more of a possibility.
That would be crazy. i really dont seeing the saints releasing him. thats would be extrelmy odd. and i doubt they would trade a player in divison that doesnt make sense for any team to do that.
DDP711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:58 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Bush played with Alex in HS - do we have an inside track because of that?
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:18 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

I would say that Bush going to SEA and being reunited with Carroll is a better possibility than him coming here.

---

Not sure if you guys are aware of it or not but we signed Ray Brown to be an assistant OL coach. This makes me happy. Hopefully, he'll be able to teach these crappers how to play the damn position.

Also, we signed OG Brian De La Puente to a developmental contract. Isnt he the guy that we lost last summer off our practice squad to KC and some here were disappointed about losing him or am I thinking of someone else?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:34 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Also, we signed OG Brian De La Puente to a developmental contract. Isnt he the guy that we lost last summer off our practice squad to KC and some here were disappointed about losing him or am I thinking of someone else?
The 49ers signed De La Puenta as an UDFA out of California in 2008. He was cut in preseason and signed by the Kansas City Chiefs. Cut by the Chiefs in 2009, signed by the Seahawks, cut by the Seahawks, signed by the Panthers.

He's never played a snap.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:06 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Okay, thanks.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

It's official - Warner is done! Wonder if the Niners can handle the pressure of being considered "favorites" by many to win the NFC West for the first time in many years. I hope so. It's our time!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:10 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

like last year and the year before

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:15 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
like last year and the year before
Exactly what I was thinking. We've been the sexy pick for a couple seasons now. Hopefully we can get over the hump this upcoming season.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:38 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

What would you guys think if Scott Mac worked something like this out..

Arizona Gets:
#13 Overall

San Fran Gets:
Ariz 1st Round pick
Ariz 2nd Round pick

Arizona's QB situation is in question this off-season and #13 might put them in a good spot to pick up Jimmy Clausen or Bradford. We pick up a later 1st and an extra 2nd. I wouldn't be against it

Old 01-29-2010, 10:40 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh, The 49ers were the sexy pick in 2007 coming off their late season run under Norv Turner in 2006.

I don't think they've been considered contenders by many since then. In September of last year only 3 of ESPN's 16 NFL writers predicted the 49ers to make the playoffs.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:40 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

you don't trade a potential franchise qb to a rival, ever. i wouldnt do it if i was AZ either

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:44 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
What would you guys think if Scott Mac worked something like this out..

Arizona Gets:
#13 Overall

San Fran Gets:
Ariz 1st Round pick
Ariz 2nd Round pick

Arizona's QB situation is in question this off-season and #13 might put them in a good spot to pick up Jimmy Clausen or Bradford. We pick up a later 1st and an extra 2nd. I wouldn't be against it
It's not a horrible trade.

#13 worth 1,150

#26 and #58 worth 1,020

Unfortunately, inter-division trades are unlikely.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:55 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. We've been the sexy pick for a couple seasons now. Hopefully we can get over the hump this upcoming season.
The Niners have NOT been the favorites to win the NFC West the last two years. They were a common sleeper pick to squeak in the playoffs, but the Cards (or Seahawks two years ago) were the popular pick to win by a vast majority of analysts. Depending on who they resign, there Cards could still be the favorites with Leinart at the helm as Alex Smith still hasn't earned any respect around the league, especially not from the East Coast-biased sports media.